PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with explaining my sadness.

peacelovemickey
04-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Anyone else having trouble with explaining why you are so sad over the loss of someone you never met? My DH tried to understand, but I could tell he didn't really "get it." I guess Bob always came across as such a "real" person over the podcast. i know for me the Podcast is like a weekly visit with friends. I hope the team is doing OK! Am I even making any sense?

kimbac3
04-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Yes, you are making sense. I'm in the same boat. Interestingly enough the only one that really "got it" was my DD9. I could tell she was upset and understood why I was.

At least we can "talk" to each other! :hug:

Kimba

DVC Kathy
04-29-2008, 08:39 AM
I so understand. My DH gets it, but there's no way I can explain why I'm sitting at my desk with tears in my eyes to my coworkers.

At least we have one another.

Kathy

ms*mountaineer
04-29-2008, 08:40 AM
same here!

amyhughes
04-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Don't think you are nuts. I called my DH crying last night, he thought one of the kids was hurt. I bounced this exact thought off him during our phone conversation and this is what he replied with: "It was someone you never knew, but you were in communication with. It's totally understood that you would feel upset. You feel like you know him, and it's ok to cry about it. You don't have to have met someone to feel sadness at their passing."

I thought that summed it up well. It also made me feel not quite so out there.

WaltD4Me
04-29-2008, 08:45 AM
I completely understand. Being so sad over someone you never met, but felt like you knew so well. I was trying to explain to my mom this morning...who has never listened to a Podcast and I could tell she didn't quite understand.

I am going on a short trip today and I almost don't even want to go, I'm so sad over Bob's passing and I never met him....a true testament to Bob though. Just shows how he touched us all.

BeamsofLight
04-29-2008, 08:50 AM
It's comforting to know there are so many of us in the same boat. My husband and friends 'get' that I'm sad but I don't think they quite get why I'm as sad as I am. What a wonderful person Bawb was, that he touched so many hearts so deeply. :grouphug:

gomomgo
04-29-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm right there with you.

Two weeks ago a local ball player/analyst (John Marzano) died and my husband was really effected by it. He was well regarded in the community and my DH was glued to the Internet & TV. Well, I was just trying to get the kids to bed and I asked him to join us in real life and stop spending time on someone he didn't even know.

Unfortunately, now I get it. I fell real sadness and loss and I didn't even know Bob.

The whole team feels like friends you catch up with once or twice a week.

Madi100
04-29-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm so glad someone else said that. I just read it this morning. And, I've got a lot of friends that know how attached I am to the podcast. I called my DH this morning at work. He is a man of little words. But, I told him how sad it is, and how sad it has made me, and I can't really tell anyone, because no one would really understand. And, he told me it is very sad and that I listen to him share his life with me every week, and I've grown attached.

msteddom
04-29-2008, 09:07 AM
I called the only other person in my life who "knew" Bob, my Dad. His reaction was similar to mine, which let me know that I wasn't too far off base. Anyone else would think I was insane for mourning someone I've never met. It sounds like we're all feeling something similar. :grouphug:

Melissa

hanco005
04-29-2008, 09:26 AM
I agree. I have been a lurker here for 8 years, only posted a handful of times, but listen to the podcast regularly. Through the podcast, I feel like I knew him. Even though he was teased a lot by the crew (playfully), you always knew that he was a very big part of their lives and that they truly cared for him. I can only imagine the pain that they feel.

I know it would be painful to put together, but I hope there is some sort of "Best of Bawb" episode (or episodes as there is so much material) in the future as it might help everyone remember the good times and help with the grieving process.

SamSam
04-29-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm glad you posted this. My husband is tryiing but he really doesn't get it. Each time I listened to the Podcast, I felt like I was in the company of good friends and now one of them is gone.

saturday97
04-29-2008, 09:44 AM
We develop relationships with "online friends" that can be just as strong as our face-to-face relationships. The podcast is very meaningful to many of us. I personally consider it a significant part of my social life. And Bob really represented the kind of joy we all take in Disney. It's ok to mourn the loss of someone important, even if that person didn't know you. Even if no one else understands your loss, give your self permission to grieve. :hug:

rlduvall
04-29-2008, 09:46 AM
I am so glad someone else posted this. I am having the same feelings. When I first saw it last night, my heart dropped and I began trembling. Then I began to cry and cry and cry. I cried all night and have swollen eyes today. I tried to explain it to my DH when he came home and saw me so upset. His initial reaction was "You are this upset over someone you never met?" He finally "got it" a little, but still thought it odd I was so upset. I think the fact that I lost my beloved mother to a terminal illness in December and only by listening to the Podcast Team (going back and forth from her home helping to care for her) was I able to maintain a "normal" balance to my life making me feel "closer" to the Podcast Team.

I have never reacted this way to anyone's death I didn't know personally. Bob seemed like such a lovely man . . .

I'm booked for the Podcast Cruise and don't even want to go anymore. I can only imagine how sad the Team must be right now. It will not and cannot be the same without him. I truly can see them disbanding the Podcast.

I have been listening to old podcasts (for the 2nd time) and don't even want to do that anymore. :sad1:

ericafny
04-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I also had a hard time explaining it to my DBF. He understood, but I still feel like I can't talk to him about it because I don't think he really understands. I keep thinking about Diana and Brian and Pete, Corey, Julie, Kevin & John. I can't even imagine the pain they are in.

I still haven't finished listening to the 4/22 podcast and I don't even know if I can bring myself to do it...:sad1:

Mary Jo
04-29-2008, 10:03 AM
I think this is relatively new, this getting to know people virtually. Because we listen to the Podcast from home, from work, in our cars, or walking around, we hear the voices. We listen to roundtable, and get to know the people talking a little more. The Podcast team aren't actors, they are real people sharing their lives with us. So we listen... and we come to care.

This has happened here on the DIS with threads about people going through rough times and terminal illnesses. I've cried tears for people I've only met through written text. However, when you put yourself out there, sharing your life ---- well, people care.

I think it is probably even more with the Podcast. It's not just words on the screen, but their voices and personalities come through ... and we hear how they care for each other ... well, I think it's natural that people who listen, especially on a weekly basis, will also feel connected to the Podcast team. They may be speaking to each other, but they are really speaking to the listeners -- and that is all of us.

Bob, has been such an integral part of the team, and with his personality I think helped bond this board even more to the Podcast team. This group has something special.

At first, I just listened to the Podcast, but then I started wondering stuff like, who is this Anthony they keep shouting out to? And these emails? Who is writing them? Because of the Podcast I started lurking on this board, and have enjoyed watching all of you become friends.

It's only natural to really feel the loss of our Bawb, and though other people may not get it (yet), the important thing is we all do.

:hug:

MD DisneyFreaks
04-29-2008, 10:05 AM
I am so glad someone else posted this. I am having the same feelings. When I first saw it last night, my heart dropped and I began trembling. Then I began to cry and cry and cry. I cried all night and have swollen eyes today. I tried to explain it to my DH when he came home and saw me so upset. His initial reaction was "You are this upset over someone you never met?" He finally "got it" a little, but still thought it odd I was so upset. I think the fact that I lost my beloved mother to a terminal illness in December and only by listening to the Podcast Team (going back and forth from her home helping to care for her) was I able to maintain a "normal" balance to my life making me feel "closer" to the Podcast Team.

I have never reacted this way to anyone's death I didn't know personally. Bob seemed like such a lovely man . . .

I'm booked for the Podcast Cruise and don't even want to go anymore. I can only imagine how sad the Team must be right now. It will not and cannot be the same without him. I truly can see them disbanding the Podcast.

I have been listening to old podcasts (for the 2nd time) and don't even want to do that anymore. :sad1:

I understand your sorrow and sadness, but there is now way that Bob would want the Podcast to stop. Look at the legacy he's left and how many people he's touched. It would be a shame to stop that and cheat thousands of people out of being a part of this amazing community. I know that Bob would want the crew to continue without him...as difficult as that will be.

PlutoGirl1117
04-29-2008, 10:08 AM
I understand what you are saying. I feel even a bit more out of place as, as you can see from my post count, I was more of a lurker! So I didn't even have the communication on the boards, but! I am terribly sad at his passing. Even my husband who listened sometimes was shocked. I couldn't help but cry when I read Pete's post! I had to reread it and reread it.

LilGMom
04-29-2008, 10:10 AM
You are not the only one.

I think because of the Podcast crew sharing so much and basically inviting us into their lives and us making them a part of our lives we have grown attached (in a nonstalker type way) to all of them. When one of them experiences something we all experience it on some level. My DH, while he is a DIS member and Disney lover, has never listened to the Podcast and didn't understand why I got so sad last night over the news about Bob.

My heart breaks for the Varley family and the Podcast Family.

Pinky166
04-29-2008, 10:11 AM
I agree with you all....because of the time difference (i'm in the UK) I read Pete's post last night just as I was getting ready to go to bed. I told my DH and he understood why I was upset but I felt like I should hide away and cry, so I shut myself in the bathroom. I have been the same today...I had to stop reading all the 'favourite Bob memories' thread earlier as I just feel so upset.

I may have only been on the boards for 3 months but I have listened to ALL of the old podcasts - most of them more than once! I really feel as though I know each and every one of them personally and that they are close friends as they give so much of themselves to us and the shows.

My love to Bob's family, the podcast crew and all my fellow DISers on this sad day. :grouphug:

IHeartTink04
04-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I was going to start a very similar thread. I have thought about Bob from the time I read the news until the time I woke up today and no one understands my deep sadness. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

allicat
04-29-2008, 10:17 AM
I tried to express my very thoughts about this on the thread about his passing, but I just couldnt get across what i was trying to say, so i erased it. I listened to the podcasts so regularly I felt like I knew the podcast crew in a way.
Im glad he was able to enjoy Disney so much and it sounds like he lived a happy life-hopefully family and friends will hold onto those memories.

tinkbutt
04-29-2008, 10:20 AM
I am right there with you unable to explain the sense of great loss!

CelticBelle
04-29-2008, 10:21 AM

I feel the exact same way. I was listening to older shows and catching up since January and I remembered that I am never on the podcast part of the dis boards. I came over here for the first time and was confused. I wanted to join the bawb fan club and all i found was people saying Ill miss you bob, etc. Then I found Petes post and immeadiatly began crying. I couldnt work on homework, I couldnt continue listening to the podcast...I had to leave the room and do something. I cried myself to sleep last night.

My fiance isnt a disney fan or a fan of the dis, but knows I love it. He still didnt understand why I was so upset. Listening the the podcast just feels like you there with them and everyone is one great family. I can not imagine the podcast continuing. And even though I know that Bob would want it to continue, I cant imagine how the roundtable team would feel sitting around the table without bob. especially with his bumper stickers hangin around

peacelovemickey
04-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. It really makes me feel better to know that I am not alone.

abish19
04-29-2008, 11:39 AM
When you stop and consider it, it isn't so strange to feel sorrow and shed tears for someone you didn't know personally.

For many people, John F. Kennedy's death was scary and sad in a very personal way. Remember the way the whole world felt when Pope John Paul II died. Did you cry when 3000 people were killed on September 11?

All of those examples were of people who were known through the media, or highly regarded for other reasons. But Bob - we KNEW Bob. We heard his voice every week. We laughed over his videos, hoping that he wouldn't actually run that poor kid over in the Magic Kingdom. Maybe you were like me, and you went to WDW and while enjoying the rides and attractions, you kept an eye out for Kaht Kam. We knew what food Bob used to like at O'Hana, or which snack he would choose. We knew his family and some of his friends, learned about his traditions, his likes and dislikes, his love of Disney, and just as he opened his heart to us, we opened our hearts to him.

It's true that the internet is opening up a new kind of community in the world. Sometimes that is scary and not a good thing. But with the DIS community it's almost always a very positive thing.

We can all know that even if our families and friends don't have a complete understanding of our sorrow at this time, our DIS friends (who aren't imaginary) know our emotions exactly.

It really did help me to listen to some older podcasts. I remembered that Bob might not be here with us, but we can always think of and love him.

calypso*a*go-go
04-29-2008, 11:45 AM
I am sitting here crying right now...I'm not talking a little sniffle: this is full-blown, snot-dropping sobbing! I don't really understand it, all I know is that I just feel like I'm at a loss. I guess things just build up in our daily lives and every now and then the dam breaks. I've never even met Bob in person (and I was so looking forward to searching for Kaht Kam during my next visit to WDW!), but I just feel so bad for his family and friends. My dog is looking at me like I'm crazy, and to top things off...it just started raining like mad. Is it too much to ask for a little sunshine today? It's my mom's birthday today so I have to try and pull myself together to call her. :sad2:

rlduvall
04-29-2008, 12:07 PM
I am sitting here crying right now...I'm not talking a little sniffle: this is full-blown, snot-dropping sobbing! I don't really understand it, all I know is that I just feel like I'm at a loss.

I did that all last night and have swollen eyes today. My DH and DS thought I was nuts. I didn't and still don't understand how I can be so "distraught" over someone I never met. Bob was such a lovely person and it really showed through on the Podcast. I'm still heartsick today.

klam_chowder
04-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Me too.

I've been away from the boards for a couple of weeks as I was on back-to-back holidays. Our place is strewn with all sorts of stuff for me to sort and put away. I thought I'd just drop in to check the podcast cruise thread.

I didn't understand why someone (ursula?) had Bob's pic with "miss you" type saying. I thought it was an inside joke from the podcasts/boards from while I was away.

When I read Pete's thread, I couldn't fathom it being Bawb. I had to read 5 pages of condolences before I could believe it. By then I was outright bawling - the garbage can by my desk is half-filled with Kleenexs from my honking, and now my head hurts.

I never met the man, but he was my favorite and I am so sad for his family.

I know how the PP feels about not even going on the podcast cruise anymore. I feel the same way. I was so excited when DH said he was fine if I wanted to change our 3-day cruise booking to the podcast cruise. I was looking fwd to meeting Bob.

Hopefully Bob knows how much he was loved on Dis and how much helpful info he shared.

cheers,
:flower3:

Blue Skies
04-29-2008, 12:14 PM
It's comforting to know there are so many of us in the same boat. My husband and friends 'get' that I'm sad but I don't think they quite get why I'm as sad as I am. What a wonderful person Bawb was, that he touched so many hearts so deeply. :grouphug:

My thoughts too...:grouphug:

cyberbox2
04-29-2008, 12:18 PM
I just found out about Bawbs sudden passing this morning as I was getting ready for work. As I got in my car I realized I still had about 20 minutes left of last weeks E-mail show to listen to and st that point I realized that this would be the last time I would hear Bawbs voice on a new podcasts:-(

It was so hard to listen to but everyone was so happy and content st that point it kinda made me smile.

Via iPhone sitting at my desk still in absolute shock!

lttlmc3
04-29-2008, 12:28 PM
I found out last night when I was at work. I work as a police dispatcher so I have to be stoic all the time. When I came home at 2:30a.m. I just cried and cried. I'm shocked by this. It was so sudden. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who felt this way.:grouphug:

disneycruise05
04-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I called my mom yesterday once I saw Pete's post. I've forced her to listen to a few episodes, either because it had info she wanted or (more likely) they were hilarious and were something that everyone should here. I could tell when I was talking to her that she was sad, but just didn't get it.

It's just like the Team has said about people, if they don't have the Disney gene, they will just never understand our love for the parks. We all have the DIS Unplugged gene. And we've all lost a dear friend.

BRobson
04-29-2008, 01:16 PM
I am sooooo glad this post was started! My Dh is away at the moment and I haven't got anyone else that would vaguely understand why I am so upset. I wish I could stop crying but at the same time cant stay away from the boards.

My heart is breaking for Pete and the gang and how it will never be the same again :guilty:

scarlett873
04-29-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm so glad to have someplace to come and express my grief. No one really understands why i'm so upset about a man I never even met. DH is comforting, but he doesn't have that "DIS Unplugged Gene". He's listened a few times to the podcast, but he's more interested in the political and technology based podcasts.

I've been listening to the podcast since the beginning. I'll be the first to admit that some of Bawb's segments were painful to get through, but that's only cuz he and I are cut from the same cloth. It takes me an eternity to tell a story sometimes! Now I understand how others feel when i'm telling a story! :rotfl: But what I wouldn't give to hear another one of Bawb's segments or Rapid Fire. :guilty:

I don't venture much outside of this forum anymore. This little corner of the DIS has become a family. I'm so glad that we have each other to carry us through this difficult time.

Bawb...this one's for you my friend!
http://brandieraleigh.googlepages.com/hoar01_mojito.jpg/hoar01_mojito-medium;init:.jpg

hvivona
04-29-2008, 01:49 PM
I know exactly how you all feel. After I heard the news this morning I went into my DH's office (in our home) and just burst into tears. He thought my grandmother had passed. I kept saying "I don't know why I feel this way. I never met the man, but I feel like I've lost a really good friend." He summed it up better than anyone could: "You listen to the podcast twice a week. You've brought all of them into our home/car each and every week for the past year and a half. Of course they feel like friends. They've helped us to create some magical memories at Disney. They've made us laugh, cry and angry. Without a doubt I know exactly how you feel. You don't have to meet a group of people to know they are your friends!"

DLBDS
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
I can relate to all. I mourn alone as I'm the only one who listens each week. I don't dwell on it but I admit I have shed a few tears....privately. The podcast definitely won't be the same but it WILL continue. It'll be hard for the crew (and listeners) at first but it'll become easier for all over time. I, for one, will miss hearing Bawb's name at the beginning of each podcast. It would be nice if Pete could dedicate each show in memory of Bawb Varley. Pete, I hope you read this post.

Annette_VA
04-29-2008, 02:32 PM
I can relate to all. I mourn alone as I'm the only one who listens each week. I don't dwell on it but I admit I have shed a few tears....privately. The podcast definitely won't be the same but it WILL continue. It'll be hard for the crew (and listeners) at first but it'll become easier for all over time. I, for one, will miss hearing Bawb's name at the beginning of each podcast. It would be nice if Pete could dedicate each show in memory of Bawb Varley. Pete, I hope you read this post.

That's what brings me to tears each time I think about it - future shows and the introductions. I imagine Pete saying Bob's name out of habit, or his voice cracking when he says "with us here in spirit is Bob," etc. It pains me to know that these guys have lost a very good friend.

scarlett873
04-29-2008, 02:36 PM
That's what brings me to tears each time I think about it - future shows and the introductions. I imagine Pete saying Bob's name out of habit, or his voice cracking when he says "with us here in spirit is Bob," etc. It pains me to know that these guys have lost a very good friend. Dang it...here I go again...:sad1:

kiddoc
04-29-2008, 02:36 PM
I know how you feel...I, too, have wondered why I am so sad over someone I never met. But, as everyone has said, we DID meet Bawb! He was a part of my life every week. I couldn't wait to hear his voice and his fun interpretations of everything. We were listening to the email show this morning while I took my kids to school. My daughter, Ansley, had her voicemail played about trying to buy Bob's Will Robinson pin. Then, I got home and pulled up the boards and saw the post about Bob's death. My daughter will be devastated when she gets home...she was so excited that the podcast crew spoke to her. We listen to the DisUnplugged as a family...except when I need to sensor some things--ha! We will all miss Bawb!

BRobson
04-29-2008, 02:37 PM
That's what brings me to tears each time I think about it - future shows and the introductions. I imagine Pete saying Bob's name out of habit, or his voice cracking when he says "with us here in spirit is Bob," etc. It pains me to know that these guys have lost a very good friend.

I know what you mean - an empty seat at the table. I still have the last show to listen to but could not face it today:sad2:

I kept the last email show on my i pod as I was so happy that my email was read but so sad now it was Bobs last ever show.

Plutes
04-29-2008, 03:09 PM
I know exactly what you all are talking about. After I found out, I called my Mom right away because I truly felt like I lost a friend, and who do you call when you're feeling down? Mom, of course! While she was sympathetic, I don't think she quite 'got it'. Nor did a friend of mine who called me later on when I explained to her why I sounded like crap.

I went to bed last night and Bawb was the last person I thought about. I woke up this morning and Bawb was the first person I thought about.

I had to attend a conference for work today where there was a panel of speakers, one of whom was named Bob. Another speaker, a woman, approached the microphone and asked us to 'excuse' her Boston accent and then proceeded to refer to things that "BAWB" said. That was it - I was done. I couldn't tell you what was said after that - my mind was elsewhere.

There really aren't too many people I know personally who would 'get' this - how much it hurts. Thank goodness for you guys. As someone posted previously, this really has become a family and I, for one, am mourning the loss of a major part of it. :sad1:

CelticBelle
04-29-2008, 03:27 PM

Dang it...here I go again...:sad1:

Same here! As soon as I read that post I lost it again.:sad:

MandM22
04-29-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm right there with you.

Two weeks ago a local ball player/analyst (John Marzano) died and my husband was really effected by it. He was well regarded in the community and my DH was glued to the Internet & TV. Well, I was just trying to get the kids to bed and I asked him to join us in real life and stop spending time on someone he didn't even know.

Unfortunately, now I get it. I fell real sadness and loss and I didn't even know Bob.

The whole team feels like friends you catch up with once or twice a week.

I understand both you and your husband. I felt a terrible feeling after the loss of Johnny Marz and now also with Bawb. I listened to both gentleman often and though I never met either in person, each has hit me hard. They both truly affected people because they were both "Good People" as I like to call them. Genuine, real, and it came accross to everyone that listened to either of them. Both wil be missed but always remembered!

willis37862
04-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Anyone else having trouble with explaining why you are so sad over the loss of someone you never met? My DH tried to understand, but I could tell he didn't really "get it." I guess Bob always came across as such a "real" person over the podcast. i know for me the Podcast is like a weekly visit with friends. I hope the team is doing OK! Am I even making any sense?

Oh I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way, I have been crying on and off since I found out. :sad1: I feel like I lost a close friend, I just keep thinking how odd it will be to not hear his voice or his stories any more on the podcasts. We are headed to WDW this fall and one thing I was so looking forward to was looking for Bob in the parks. I would LOVE to have meant him. It is a great tribute to him that so many people who never meant him will miss him :sad1:

willis37862
04-29-2008, 04:24 PM
I know what you mean - an empty seat at the table. I still have the last show to listen to but could not face it today:sad2:

I kept the last email show on my i pod as I was so happy that my email was read but so sad now it was Bobs last ever show.

I still have last weeks email show show to listen to also and I just couldn't do it today.

Mrs Grumpy
04-29-2008, 04:36 PM
I read about the news at work this morning. I started crying and my coworkers asked what happened. I told them and they actually laughed at me. I have not told DH yet but I don't think he will understand either.

Mmouse1026
04-29-2008, 04:55 PM
I agree! I feel as though I've lost a member of my family and everyone thinks I've lost it :(

It just goes to show how Bawb touched us all

DLBDS
04-29-2008, 05:03 PM
I read about the news at work this morning. I started crying and my coworkers asked what happened. I told them and they actually laughed at me. I have not told DH yet but I don't think he will understand either.

Boneheads. :sad2:

CelticBelle
04-29-2008, 05:08 PM

:hug: Im sorry! that is definetly uncalled for.

Tonya2426
04-29-2008, 05:15 PM

I've been crying since yesterday. So go ahead and cry, you are among friends who understand. :sad1:

tiggerbell
04-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks to the OP for sharing your feelings with us - and know that you are not alone... Bob was more than just a voice on my I-Pod... he was one of many friends here on the DisBoards that I have not met...

To Diana and the Podcast Crew - you are in my thoughts and prayers...

willis37862
04-29-2008, 06:08 PM

:sad2: How rude!

Boneheads. :sad2:

I agree.

I've been crying since yesterday. So go ahead and cry, you are among friends who understand. :sad1:

:grouphug:

drakethib
04-29-2008, 07:50 PM
It is very strange.

There is a sense of loss for someone who we never met.

But there is that loss that is there.

DisDarling
04-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I was crying at work today as I always log on to hear the podcast and when I saw the post about him passing I lost my breath. Noone could understand how you feel about someone you never met, but I feel like I have lost a good friend and I just have to have hope that I will get to meet him in heaven.

I am just so sad.:sad1:

Amy P from WI

TXYankee
04-29-2008, 08:03 PM
We are very lucky to have known Bawb through the Dis. He has touched our lives. That is a beautiful thing. It is a tribute to his life. It is ok to cry and to smile at the joy he has brought you. Bawb was our friend. May his memory live on.

scjo68
04-29-2008, 08:11 PM
I agree with all that has been said.
I haven't told anyone in real life, except my dh, who didn't get it, because I honestly don't know what to say, to explain. I'm sure I would get the same reaction as others here have gotten.

New England Eeyore
04-29-2008, 08:30 PM
I feel the same way. I don't post on these boards often, but I am a faithful listener to the podcast and I felt like the wind was knocked out of me when I read Pete's post last night. I went to sleep with an awful feeling and had an awful day at work today. I couldn't wait to come back onto the DIS and read more of what others were saying. I only hope it gives Bob's family and friends some measure of comfort to know how many lives he touched and how much he will be missed.

disneygrlkat
04-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Thank you for posting this. I believe reading of Bob's death will be a moment I will remember forever, of course for sad reasons. i have been listening to the podcast on a daily basis for several months now and cannot imagine a day without Bob. Part of me thought it was a cruel joke when I read Pete's post, and I still haven't really come to terms with the news.

I called my mom last night when I found out and told her. She had trouble understanding what a Podcast was, let alone truly comprehending how the death of a man I knew only through voice and pictures could effect me so much. I'm so glad that these boards exist and we all have a place to turn. God bless the Varley family...and the Podcast family.

Rest in peace Bawb

BillM99999
04-29-2008, 09:30 PM
I still have last weeks email show show to listen to also and I just couldn't do it today.

I actually decided to listen to it today, since I still had it as well. I listened to it at the gym this afternoon, and I was afraid I'd break down and cry in public.

Instead, I found myself smiling and laughing even more than normal (making everyone around me think I was a bit "touched"), remembering all of the joy he brought to all of our lives. As I read all of the tributes (and finally stop just lurking), I occasionally well up, but I really try to remember the positives. We've all suffered a loss (not nearly as much as the Varleys and the 'crew), but we've had such a gift in our lives.

Once again, RIP Bawb.

willis37862
04-29-2008, 09:41 PM
I actually decided to listen to it today, since I still had it as well. I listened to it at the gym this afternoon, and I was afraid I'd break down and cry in public.

Instead, I found myself smiling and laughing even more than normal (making everyone around me think I was a bit "touched"), remembering all of the joy he brought to all of our lives. As I read all of the tributes (and finally stop just lurking), I occasionally well up, but I really try to remember the positives. We've all suffered a loss (not nearly as much as the Varleys and the 'crew), but we've had such a gift in our lives.

Once again, RIP Bawb.

I'm use to getting the "touched" look ;) It's impossible to listen to the DIS podcast and not laugh. Such a bunch of characters!

And I agree with you about trying to remember the positives and being happy that we had the time listening to our friend that we did.

Madi100
04-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Not only is it hard to explain the sadness, I think it's really hard to believe that it really happened. I listened to the rest of the email show today, and the first voice I heard was Bob's. I was in the middle of an old podcast, and when I continued, Bob was in the middle of saying something. I know Bob through the podcasts, and I still hear him, so it's hard to grasp that he is really not with us anymore.

mommyceratops
04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
I walked into my friends office today, also my boss, and she said "hi" I just broke down....I found out this morning...she was the first person I talked to since I found out. I just cried, cried so hard, I couldn't talk.

I have cried all day...at T-ball practice tonight a friend came up to me and said I looked I had been crying all day and I told her I had, she got it, she knows my love for the Pod Crew, I told her all about the meet in December....I just feel like I lost my best friend....

In many ways the Dis Team, my Dis friends, Bob are always there....when no one else is available, when I am sad or having a bad day, they are there.

As I have reflected today my Dis Friends are there for me more than any of my real life friends. No matter what time of day, I can turn on the computer and there you are.

On nights when I can't sleep I listen to the podcast....old shows...new shows...They are there...that is what a friendship is, being there.

So the new level of virtual friendships is just as powerful as real friends. It is hard to express. Or you feel crazy for being so sad.

I told my DS7 and DS5 who loves Bob, they were looking forward to his new star wars kahrt kam. My DS7 said "Bob was with Walt Disney, John Lennon and Abraham Lincoln" Odd combination...but it was cute. My DS4 wants to go find him, because his friends need him.

So I am back to crying now....Thanks for being there guys.

DLBDS
04-29-2008, 10:09 PM

Once again, RIP Bawb.

I actually still had both shows to listen to and decided to sit down and listen to both today. It was kinda sad the first couple of minutes but as the show went on it was easy to forget that he was gone. It was one of those really funny shows too. I kinda felt a pang when the crew was teasing Bawb about his coughing and Julie actually said that Bawb wasn't feeling well. I'm sure whatever was ailing Bawb that day was minor as this was taped over a week ago. From what I can understand, whatever he succumbed to came upon him quickly. It was great listening to his final shows though. It's also comforting to know I have many, many shows to listen to whenever I'm missin' Bawb. I'm sure Diana and the rest of Bawb's 'family' feel the same way.

IWISHFORDISNEY
04-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Add me to the list too. I recently sat and listened to all the shows when I was home sick. It is still so hard to understand. My husband did "get" it though. He even asked if we were sending flowers. So that was nice of him. We will probably send something to the team and a donation like Diana requested though. Having lost both my parents fairly young I can relate. It is just so heartbreaking and brings back alot of memories. Oh well enough of my vent. So yeah I understand where you are coming from.

rtobe
04-29-2008, 10:45 PM
I too am glad someone posted this thread. It is so hard to explain to non Podcast DISers what a loss this is for the Podcast community, the Varley family and the Podcast crew.

I have not listened to the last two Podcasts yet, not sure about that yet

Would insert crying mickey but don't know how :-(

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f147/DLBDS/bawb.jpg

ColleenS
04-29-2008, 10:52 PM

I feel the exact same way. Bob just seemed like such a nice man.

disneym2m
04-30-2008, 12:36 AM
I think we all feel sad because Bob was someone you felt you could trust. You heard him once a week talking about whatever the discussion was with his stories and he made you laugh. I am in tears and yes I too think why am I crying over a man I didn't know in person. But even if I didn't know him in person I knew he was the friendly voice that I have listened to for the past two years. I knew that if I did meet him in the parks he would actually talk to me. Bob shared his stories with the Dis Unplugged community and he has become a part of our lives in one way or another. When the podcast does return (which I expect will be a while) there will be an emptiness because that voice will not be heard. We will all feel sad together and no it is not silly to cry or be upset at all.

hayanyujah847
04-30-2008, 05:30 AM
I'm with everyone on this. Sitting here, shocked & crying over the news.

wishspirit
04-30-2008, 06:24 AM
In many ways the Dis Team, my Dis friends, Bob are always there....when no one else is available, when I am sad or having a bad day, they are there.

As I have reflected today my Dis Friends are there for me more than any of my real life friends. No matter what time of day, I can turn on the computer and there you are.

On nights when I can't sleep I listen to the podcast....old shows...new shows...They are there...that is what a friendship is, being there.

So the new level of virtual friendships is just as powerful as real friends. It is hard to express. Or you feel crazy for being so sad.

So I am back to crying now....Thanks for being there guys.

I feel exactly the same, i told my DBF, and my two best friends at uni about Bawb, and none of them really understood. One of them let me talk about it for a while and my DBF said it must be hard, but they didn't really understand.

No one at University understands why i am on these boards or the podcasts so much, or why they are so important to me. To me they are more than just talking about Disney, they are a way of making kindred spirits and for once being 'in on the joke'.

When i have the rough times, the Dis has always been there for me, the podcasts are still the only way i can get on a train and feel somewhat relaxed.

Bawb meant so much to me, as do all of the podcast team, as he was that link with the magic i only get every 4 years (being a Brit). So thank you guys and the podcast crew, and my love and best wishes during this hard time.

:sad1:

LilGMom
04-30-2008, 09:10 AM
After my DH told me that he had been reading about the Bawb stories/memories and he asked me how I felt. I told him I just felt bummed and saddened all day due to Bawb's passing last night . I told him that while I really enjoy the entire Podcast Crew I will admit that Bawb is my favorite. I told him that I loved the way Bawb was start in on a story and just go on and on. My DH laughed and said "kinda like you do?". I also loved his quirkiness and ability to laugh at himself.

The outpouring of comments from people that never physically met Bawb is a testament to his personality and warm nature.

calypso*a*go-go
04-30-2008, 11:07 AM
How's everyone doing today?

I have managed to pull myself together a bit and haven't started crying (yet!). There's been a couple of close calls while going through some of the threads -- but I'm trying to celebrate Bob's life, instead of mourn his death, as I feel that's what he would have wanted...afterall, wasn't the Happiest Place On Earth one of Bob's favorite things? (Oh dear, now I think I'm going to make myself cry.)

Stroller Boy
04-30-2008, 11:12 AM

Same here, and I don't deal well with family/friend losses to begin with....So this one really threw me for a loop, as I'm not even sure how to deal with it myself. Well, at least I've got the boards and know y'all "get it" :)

tiggerbell
04-30-2008, 11:23 AM

I have managed to pull myself together a bit and haven't started crying (yet!). There's been a couple of close calls while going through some of the threads -- but I'm trying to celebrate Bob's life, instead of mourn his death, as I feel that's what he would have wanted...afterall, wasn't the Happiest Place On Earth one of Bob's favorite things? (Oh dear, now I think I'm going to make myself cry.)

I agree completely - I will listen to the old Podcasts with a smile for the wonderful humor (both by Bob and at Bob!) and this September, I will raise a Dole Whip in honor of Bob! :hug:

DVCsince02
04-30-2008, 11:29 AM

I'm okay, but still very sad for everyone. I plan on cleaning the house today and listening to the podcasts from the beginning. I'm not going to cry anymore, but be thankful for the laughs Bawb has given me.

WaltD4Me
04-30-2008, 11:39 AM

I was doing better until I saw the thread of Corey's favorite pictures of Bob, then I lost it again.

I am actually out of town, in Niagara Falls with my mom and sister for a girls trip. We ate at the Rain Forest Cafe last night (reminds me of Disney, as we always eat at the one at DTD) and my sister brought up our upcoming trip in October and I just started crying because I had been looking forward to looking for Bob and Kaht Kam on that trip. :sad1:

*Robin*
04-30-2008, 11:56 AM
I couldn't possibly add more to this...everyone has been so eloquent...I just wanted to say thank you for speaking up and starting this thread.

I'm the only Disneyphile in my family and nobody gets THAT...they really wouldn't understand why I'm so upset about the passing of Bob. I really have just kept to myself today and asked them to just let me be.

How losing Bob could feel so personal, I just don't know, but it does...

mla973
04-30-2008, 12:26 PM
I agree with many of the previous sentiments. I think that we all hold Disney near and dear to us, and Bob (along with the podcast team) represented that love for Disney. If I can't be at the parks each day, at least I could experience them through the eyes and ears of another true Disney fan. This DIS family has allowed my love of Disney to grow, and I didn't even think that was possible. Thanks to the podcast team, and especially to Bob, for doing that for me. I think we feel close to them because we share something that we all love very much.

Despite not knowing him, I am so sad to hear of his passing. He was the heart of the podcast team.

amyhughes
04-30-2008, 12:35 PM
I couldn't possibly add more to this...everyone has been so eloquent...I just wanted to say thank you for speaking up and starting this thrad.

I'm the only Disneyphobe in my family and nobody gets THAT...they really wouldn't understand why I'm so upset about the passing of Bob. I really have just kept to myself today and asked them to just let me be.

How losing Bob could feel so personal, I just don't know, but it does...

Robin I totally understand that thought. I think the Disney community especially is very tight knit. We throw around words a lot like "The Disney Gene" and if you stop to examine that thought, "What is the Disney Gene?" To me it means going above and beyond, being there for your fellow man, recognizing your role in the greater good, and extending joy to others around you. Bob was all of those things and so much more.

*Robin*
04-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Robin I totally understand that thought. I think the Disney community especially is very tight knit. We throw around words a lot like "The Disney Gene" and if you stop to examine that thought, "What is the Disney Gene?" To me it means going above and beyond, being there for your fellow man, recognizing your role in the greater good, and extending joy to others around you. Bob was all of those things and so much more.

Thank you Amy! You're so right!

(And I just realized I wrote Disney PHOBE...geesh, I'm really not myself...going back to edit.)

timmac
04-30-2008, 02:34 PM

I think we can all be fairly certain this will be a part of the intro when the show returns.

willis37862
04-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Not only is it hard to explain the sadness, I think it's really hard to believe that it really happened. I listened to the rest of the email show today, and the first voice I heard was Bob's. I was in the middle of an old podcast, and when I continued, Bob was in the middle of saying something. I know Bob through the podcasts, and I still hear him, so it's hard to grasp that he is really not with us anymore.

I know what you mean.

After my DH told me that he had been reading about the Bawb stories/memories and he asked me how I felt. I told him I just felt bummed and saddened all day due to Bawb's passing last night . I told him that while I really enjoy the entire Podcast Crew I will admit that Bawb is my favorite. I told him that I loved the way Bawb was start in on a story and just go on and on. My DH laughed and said "kinda like you do?". I also loved his quirkiness and ability to laugh at himself.

The outpouring of comments from people that never physically met Bawb is a testament to his personality and warm nature.

I tend to tell looooong stories that ramble on myself, I think that is why I could relate to Bob. I imagined the podcast crew staring at him glassy eyed like my DH does me. ;)

I agree completely - I will listen to the old Podcasts with a smile for the wonderful humor (both by Bob and at Bob!) and this September, I will raise a Dole Whip in honor of Bob! :hug:

He would love that! We plan the same but with Mojito's.

willis37862
04-30-2008, 03:49 PM
It pains me to know that these guys have lost a very good friend.

My heart breaks for them and Bob's family. I know how close they all were. I hope they are all holding up ok.

*NikkiBell*
04-30-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm still really upset. I think the shock is what is bothering me the most. This was just all so sudden. I also wish I was able to fly out from Jersey to Florida for the gathering with the podcast crew next week. I'd love to personally give them my condolences. -sigh-

DisneyKevin
04-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi folks,

I have just spoken with Diana and she is overwhelmed by the outpouring of emotion and tenderness that has been shown for Bob, his family and friends. She says she cant begin to express the appreciation that she and the rest of her family are feeling and the comfort that this is bringing to them.

As for people being understanding....

It's a new world with technological advances that allow us to get to know and become connected with people we might never get to see face to face.

This new technology has allowed us to form extraordinarily strong bonds that some people dont (and wont) understand. I like to think that Walt himself would have understood fully and I think all you need do is point any non-believer toward the Dis Unplugged board to see what has transpired in the last 36 hours.

I think we are very lucky to have this outlet to share the love and laughter along with the grief and sorrow that is part of life. I dont feel that any of us need to apologize or make excuses for the emotions that come from losing someone that touched our lives, whether that relationship is face to face or via the written or spoken word. I think it just proves that we are part of a different kind of community...one in which I am honored to be included

I say hello to Anthony each week. Anthony has come to represent all of us that have had to explain our love of Disney to someone that doesnt understand.

Maybe Bob will come to represent the connection that those of us that communicate via this technology feel for one another. I cant think of a better guy to represent that touchstone of humanity and good will.

Though I am sorry that it has taken this to illustrate the depth and breadth of this humanity and good will.... but I am certain that Bob would be thrilled to think that he was part of it.

Thanks,
Kevin

Cyrano
04-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Maybe Bob will come to represent the connection that those of that communicate via this technology feel for one another. I cant think of a better guy to rersent that touchstone of humanity and good will.

Though I am sorry that it has taken this to illustrate the depth and breadth of this humanity and good will....I am certain that Bob would be thrilled to think that he was part of it.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin this is eloquently put. It is good to hear from those closest to Bob how he would have felt. Deepest appreciation :hug:

cocowum
04-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Thank you Kevin. Very well put.:hug:

peacelovemickey
04-30-2008, 05:02 PM
It really helps to feel so validated. I teach kindergarten, and every time I hada break today, I had to log on and re-connect with everyone. Just wish I could be there this weekend.

BRobson
04-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Well put Kevin - I truly honoured to be part of the Dis Boards and the Dis Unplugged. There is a special place in my heart for all you guys :hug:

*NikkiBell*
04-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Well put. It set off the tear factory again, but truly gets to the heart of what I could never put into words these few days. I can't imagine how you all are coping and dealing with it. I am glad that you feel we all can find some comfort here.

calypso*a*go-go
04-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Kevin -- Thank you for wrapping up our feelings about this and tying it up with a bow! Once again, your wording is spot-on. :hug:

The fact that Diana is being comforted by us during this time of need is the one bright spot in my day. :goodvibes

*Robin*
04-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Kevin -- Thank you for wrapping up our feelings about this and tying it up with a bow! Once again, your wording is spot-on. :hug:

The fact that Diana is being comforted by us during this time of need is the one bright spot in my day. :goodvibes

My thoughts EXACTLY! If this helps Diana and her family, I'm so glad to be a part of it!

Thank you so much Kevin for speaking up. It means a lot.

Renysmom
04-30-2008, 07:27 PM
I was trying to explain to a co-worker today this outpouring of love and despair for a man that was a stranger in life to thousands yet was a part of each of our lives in such an unexplainable way.

She didn't get it so I opened up the podcast boards and showed her the hundreds of posts, she sat and read them over a period of time and had tears in her eyes. She didn't get the inside jokes, the funny lines, the misspelled words but she got that this family we have formed cannot be broken.

She spoke of how amazing it was that one man (Bawb), and thousands consumed by a dreamer (Walt) and a cartoon character could come together like we all have.. Then she said these simple words.. if only the rest of the world new how to love life and each other like we do, what a difference it would make...

She got it...

Thanks Kevin for the update.. When you can, please come back and let us know how Pete, John, Corey and Julie are doing.. We are all so worried about all of you.

Speedfinger
04-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Hello all.I don't usually post on these boards.I've been a "lurker' for many months.The passing of Bawb has really had an effect on me.It's so weird. I don't know Bob or the 'Team" but ,like you all,I feel a connection.I know it's the love of Disney that's the catalyst. I feel like a friend has passed.Infact, I would refer to the Podcast team as my 'Friends' when i would speak about them to my wife.WE would listen to them at night before we fell asleep.God Bless the man.He would always give us a chuckle.IHOPE the TEAM stays together.They were or are a small joy in our lives.God Bless

rlduvall
04-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Thank you so much, Kevin. It's so hard to be out in the "virtual" world and not be able to comfort and console like we want to. I thought I would start to accept this loss by now, but I am still just heartsick. I get even sadder when I think about the love the Podcast Team had for him and the pain they must be feeling.

And to be honest, and I hope this isn't wrong to say, I worry about Pete. He's been so honest and open about his depression and it is so important to me, to all of us, that he not slide into destructive despair. Please let him know we really, really care.

amyhughes
04-30-2008, 07:42 PM
And to be honest, and I hope this isn't wrong to say, I worry about Pete. He's been so honest and open about his depression and it is so important to me, to all of us, that he not slide into destructive despair. Please let him know we really, really care.

I have worried too. But knowing that Walter, the Podcast Crew and DIS family are all right there, I take comfort knowing he is with those he loves during this difficult time.

And I second that thought. WE REALLY REALLY CARE ABOUT YOU PETE, and THE PODCAST TEAM as well.

WayfastWill
04-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Today was espically tough for me. This is the first time I've posted because I just don't know what to say or how exactly to express myself. I had never lost anyone close to me until now. Even though I had only known Bawb for a short period of time. He truly became a close friend fast.

I'm not real good with words, I find myself typeing a bunch and erasing, typing and erasing. Just know your are truly missed here Bawb!

LilGMom
04-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Today was espically tough for me. This is the first time I've posted because I just don't know what to say or how exactly to express myself. I had never lost anyone close to me until now. Even though I had only known Bawb for a short period of time. He truly became a close friend fast.

I'm not real good with words, I find myself typeing a bunch and erasing, typing and erasing. Just know your are truly missed here Bawb!

Hope you are doing alright Will. I love your Kaht Kam tribute in your signature, very fitting.

amyhughes
04-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Will it is so good to hear from you. I know that words are hard to come up with in these times. I have done the same with my typing these past few days.

Just know that you have an entire community behind you all. I know that these must be very trying days, any comfort we can be, let us know.

maiziezoe
04-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Thank you Will and Kevin.

I usually talk to my hubby when I am sad and hurting but he is in Hawaii on business this week. It's been such a relief to come here and talk about how I am feeling.

*Robin*
04-30-2008, 08:14 PM

Aww Will, it's good to hear from you! Big hugs to you and the whole team from someone up in Indiana who truly wishes she could be there.

:hug:

WayfastWill
04-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Thank you guys, its nice to come here and let it out. I love reading all the memories and stories, he would be so happy to see everyone coming together.

willis37862
04-30-2008, 08:19 PM
.God Bless the man.He would always give us a chuckle.IHOPE the TEAM stays together.They were or are a small joy in our lives.God Bless

I agree. I would hate to lose my podcast friends who bring me joy every week.

DVCsince02
04-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Kevin,
I am so thankful Diana and the rest of the famly know how much we care. Thank you for sharing with us these updates.

Will,
I'm glad you are able to open up to us. (((huggs)))

peacelovemickey
04-30-2008, 09:22 PM

Yes Will, it was so good to hear from you. I know what you mean about typing erasing and retyping. I am the OP and it took me about 15 times to get the words right before I posted them on the original message. You and the team take comfort in each other.

tinkbutt
04-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Well put Kevin - I truly honoured to be part of the Dis Boards and the Dis Unplugged. There is a special place in my heart for all you guys :hug:

I couldn't say it any better

Thank you pod cast crew for allowing the fans to become this great Family!:sad1:

WaltD4Me
04-30-2008, 09:28 PM
And even while I find it so hard to explain to others and for them to understand how sad and upset I am about Bob, I also find it incredible that people who were closest to Bob, like Kevin, Corey, John, Will, ect....are taking the time to respond to us here, people they have never met...(for the most part)

And after my intial shock after reading Pete's post, I found myself thinking of people like Wild Oscar and UrsulaShadow and Rob and Jan who were to meet Bob for golf, ect....

It is really a tribute to Bawb, but also a tribute to this community that has been created here on the DIS.

Jennygt
04-30-2008, 10:41 PM
I am so lucky that my Dh listened to the podcast sometimes and he loved Bob also, he "gets it" so when he got home today I was not alone in my sadness, but, all day the Dis community was all I had and I felt very connected to you all. It was good to hear from Kevin and Will. I feel like these people are my friends and I feel like I need to do something to help them. I guess with this new technology the best way is to express our feeling here and support one another. I am proud to be a part of the Dis family, and I am proud to call you all my friends! I will miss Bob very much.

trivial
04-30-2008, 11:50 PM
I can definitely relate, and I've shed a few tears the last few days when I've managed to be alone. I very rarely "leak" due to sadness, but some of the posts, particularly Kevin's thoughts, have been extremely touching.

I have to say... I'm relatively new to the podcast and don't know the team as well as many of you do, but I found the news very shocking and sad. It was already apparent to me that the podcast crew genuinely had affection for Bob, but when I read Kevin's thoughts and saw Corey's photographs, they really tell me more than anything the kind of person Bob was and what an honour and pleasure it must have been to have known him.

scarlett873
05-01-2008, 08:20 AM
You know, i'm not a terribly religious person. I have my beliefs, but I don't post them for the world to see. (DH and I have different views about religion...lol) The other night, I believe it was the day after Bob's passing, I was getting myself ready for bed. I remember lying in bed and silently praying, in my own way, for Bob, his family, and his friends.

When I opened my eyes, I looked at my bedroom door. When my door is closed, you can still see a faint light from the other room coming through the crack in the door frame. It just so happened that the moon was shining brightly and cast a stream of light through the blinds. The two light sources together created a perfect cross on the door frame. It comforted me and made me smile. I think that was Bawb's way of saying "hey, i'm alright"...

I haven't seen the cross since.

happy2go2wdwmom
05-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi folks,

I have just spoken with Diana and she is overwhelmed by the outpouring of emotion and tenderness that has been shown for Bob, his family and friends. She says she cant begin to express the appreciation that she and the rest of her family are feeling and the comfort that this is bringing to them.

As for people being understanding....

It's a new world with technological advances that allow us to get to know and become connected with people we might never get to see face to face.

This new technology has allowed us to form extraordinarily strong bonds that some people dont (and wont) understand. I like to think that Walt himself would have understood fully and I think all you need do is point any non-believer toward the Dis Unplugged board to see what has transpired in the last 36 hours.

I think we are very lucky to have this outlet to share the love and laughter along with the grief and sorrow that is part of life. I dont feel that any of us need to apologize or make excuses for the emotions that come from losing someone that touched our lives, whether that relationship is face to face or via the written or spoken word. I think it just proves that we are part of a different kind of community...one in which I am honored to be included

I say hello to Anthony each week. Anthony has come to represent all of us that have had to explain our love of Disney to someone that doesnt understand.

Maybe Bob will come to represent the connection that those of us that communicate via this technology feel for one another. I cant think of a better guy to represent that touchstone of humanity and good will.

Though I am sorry that it has taken this to illustrate the depth and breadth of this humanity and good will.... but I am certain that Bob would be thrilled to think that he was part of it.

Thanks,
Kevin

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and teared up thinking about your posts---I just can not get over you and the rest of the crew and the way you are supporting us. One would think that the boards might possibly be a special burden at this time, but you are treating us as if we are a blessing to you----words just escape me, but I am blown away by all of you. :grouphug:

Madi100
05-01-2008, 08:49 AM
You know, i'm not a terribly religious person. I have my beliefs, but I don't post them for the world to see. (DH and I have different views about religion...lol) The other night, I believe it was the day after Bob's passing, I was getting myself ready for bed. I remember lying in bed and silently praying, in my own way, for Bob, his family, and his friends.

When I opened my eyes, I looked at my bedroom door. When my door is closed, you can still see a faint light from the other room coming through the crack in the door frame. It just so happened that the moon was shining brightly and cast a stream of light through the blinds. The two light sources together created a perfect cross on the door frame. It comforted me and made me smile. I think that was Bawb's way of saying "hey, i'm alright"...

I haven't seen the cross since.

That is very neat! Thanks for sharing that.

mla1977
05-02-2008, 10:30 AM
I agree with everything I've read so far. I am on the boards daily, but don't venture over to this part often. Itunes picked up All About the Mouse overnight and was updating my ipod this morning. That was the first thing I put on when I got to work and I heard Brian's announcement about Bob. I am also crying at work (thank God for cubilcles). I don't usually save podcasts after I've listened to them, but I plan on going back and downloading a few of them so I can listen to more Bawb stories.

I think besides feeling like I've lost a friend. I was completely shocked when I saw that he is the same age as my mother.

All of my thoughts and prayers are with Bob's family, the Podcast crew and the DIS family.

calypso*a*go-go
05-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm so glad some of Bob's friends have posted on the board...it's very comforting to know Diana and family have so much love surrounding them during such a sorrowful time -- it's like a great big hug. :grouphug:

mla1977
05-03-2008, 12:19 PM
I was afraid that DBF wouldn't understand when I got home last night. I told him about the podcast. Later when I told him that I really felt like I lost a friend, he suggested doing something to remember him when we are in the parks next month. I will be having a Dole Whip at 2 on May 31 if anyone would like to join me.

cinderella73
05-03-2008, 04:42 PM
I havent shared my sadness with anyone outside of this forum because sadly enough no one in my life would " get it " . I cried my eyes out when I heard the news. It just seems like life can be so unfair . You never know what will be around that next bend. You just have to have faith .

Bawb's passing sure brought everyone together. And I am glad to call you all my family ! We all understand each other in ways most other's wouldn't . Bawb was one of us , he was our family. Its not suprising how much his passing affected us all. Its like losing a favorite Uncle . I felt like I knew him. I think really in so many ways we all did.

I cant eat a Dole whip ( allergies) but you can bet I will still buy one for Bawb and leave it someplace special. I am sure they are going to start to wonder why people keep leaving so many Dole Whips around the parks! lol

Big hug for all my family here on the board! And Bawb ... You will always forever be a part of our lives. Never forgotten.... one of a kind... Thank you for all you gave. We love ya!