PDA

View Full Version : I booked ressie, friend backed out!#$%^&*(+_

ThruTheEyesOfMyChild
04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
!@#$%^&*)_+UGH!!!!!!!!!:eek: :scared1: :sick: :confused3 :mad: :guilty: :idea: :scared:

That's right!

This is our (DD's & me) 3rd summer trip to WDW. My friend decided she wanted to bring her DD (my DD's best friend) to WDW...so it was going to be a girls's week! We have been planning it since before Christmas! Well, I am the planner, and she is not! She counts on me to handle everything, and I am happy to do it. I plan all our cheerleading trips (our kids cheer together), o we have been traveling together for 3 years. To be honest, i have better credt than she does, so my credit cards are used and she pays me back in cash for everything. It has always worked out okay...until now.

In February, I booked our trip to WDW on the WDW website (including airfare), so I had to pay the $200 deposit PLUS the airfare upfront (total $1976), with a balance of $1967 left over, due by July 6. She was going to pay that off...and then off we were going to WDW on 8/23 to 9/1. We were going to tell the kids the night before we left, so they don't know yet!

She just told me she cant afford to go! Are you kidding me!? What do I do now. I already received the NONREFUNDABLE airline tickets from AirTran. Her share of the airline tickets is more than $800, that I wont get back from the airlines, just a credit, and probably just a partial credit to use at a later date within 1 year. So, I cant even use that $800 towards the vacation cost to WDW now. I am sure it is easy enough to modify the ressie to remove them and change the MYW tix, but room will stay the stay...right! :eek:

Crisgw
04-28-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm really sorry you got stuck footing the airline bill :( Hopefully your friend can reimburse you since she backed out.

Amy&Dan
04-28-2008, 09:18 PM
OMG you poor thing. Talk about a great way to end a friendship. I would call the WDW travel number and explain the situation. See what they say. Then maybe tell your friend you are STUCK with this package and can she borrow the money to at least reimburse you for the airfare? This is why I NEVER book packages anymore, let alone float somebody over $800. In today's economy people are hurting. But to do that to you is so bad I can't even imagine.

You can definitely modify the room and tickets, but the airfare you are probably going to have to eat.

I am so sorry.

weesignlanguage
04-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Oh my goodness!! That is sooooooo wrong!! She's had nearly 6 months to save up for this...I am so sorry about that. Things like this can ruin a friendship. She is gonna have to pay you for the portion that she would have used that is non-refundable...I'd demand it...and don't feel guilty...she's the one who has caused this all to crumble...not you!

lrab1126
04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
sorry, that is a stinky situation. Lesson learned right. I would first of all insist that she pay you in full for her part of the airfare and also any expenses you incur when you change the ressie. You should be able to change the ressie without to much of a problem, not sure about the tix. I would call WDW asap and explain the situation and find out what you can alter and if there is a fee assessed hold your friend responsible for it.

I hope it all works out. I would add her to your short list if I were you ;)

vicki_c
04-28-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm so sorry for your problem! Not that you wouldn't have already thought of this already, but is there anyone else you can ask to go in her place? Someone other mother/daughter from cheerleading or school or your neighborhood? A relative? Maybe give that a LOT of thought before cancelling the air tix - you're right AirTran only gives a credit - we're using an AirTran credit for our summer trip instead of driving because we didn't have anything else to do with it before it expired.

I guess you won't be pre-paying for any of her trips in the future.

PS - I used to be from Hamburg too! (until 2004). PM me if you want to talk about that.

holly7347
04-28-2008, 09:23 PM
I agree with the others that I would insist she pay anything that you can't recover. Is there anyone else you could take? Are airline tickets even transferable? What a horrible position to be in especially since the girls are friends. Good luck getting it all worked out.

disneydreamin247
04-28-2008, 10:09 PM
I have a friend like this...always bailing on me at the last minute. I am reluctantly planning a trip for us to WDW next year, but separate ressies. If I were you I would tell her she HAS to pay for her airfare because it is non-refundable.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope you guys get to enjoy the rest of your trip.

samiet620
04-28-2008, 10:10 PM
First of all I want to say as everyone else I am sorry this happened to you.But if I may offer a little bit of a different view?
I just want to say, you mentioned that trips have always been booked by you and she always came through. As awful as this is, maybe something is really wrong financially. Take a breather and then just talk to her, find out what the deal is. I think that you did this because there is a certain amount of trust, friendship and a history between you.
Do what you have to do, add up you losses and if she can't pay you in full, maybe a payment plan to cover all your losses and have the agreement in writing ( you never know if she does try to pull a fast one, court would be next and you need your proof).
I just don't think you would have floated her for so much if you didn't trust her to some extent and take it from someone who has been there, maybe she has a really good reason why she suddenly can't go.
I say experience because this happened to me a few years back...my friend owed me money and always paid faithfully...all of a sudden no call no show. After a few missed payments I was so mad, I went to her house ready to have it out, come to find out she was using the cash to help a very sick sister. She was ashamed to talk to me because she knew she owed me money.(I personally would have been upfront but people are weird like that!) I gave her a payment plan and all went well and a good frienship was salvaged.
Please don't be angry, I just wanted to give you some perpective though as others have said the situation is awful.

themudd4
04-28-2008, 10:24 PM
ok...I will be ready with my DD. Just swing by the Louisville airport & pick us up.

Crisgw
04-28-2008, 10:34 PM
ok...I will be ready with my DD. Just swing by the Louisville airport & pick us up.

:cool1: :thumbsup2

I Love Pluto
04-28-2008, 11:00 PM
She owes you for the airline tickets. How awful!

Do you have another friend with DD or a relative who could go in her place? That might help somewhat.

I'm really sorry for your unfortunate experience. Let's use this as a learning experience for all of us. Do NOT purchase airline tickets for someone else. Once purchased, you're stuck with them. What was she thinking? She knew you were planning and paying for everything up front.

:headache: :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache:

Millie12591
04-29-2008, 01:30 AM
Ditto! Surely she won't stiff you for that! She will have to give you that money since she agreed to it, even if she has to pay it over time at least you'll get your money back. I think I would hold off allowing anyone to borrow that much money from you again, there was a reason her credit is bad and I think you just learned the hard way why. I'm so sorry she felt she needed to do this, but in the end if she's a real friend she will pay you back, you know she will. And if you think she won't, then you know not to do this again, ever!

Oh my goodness!! That is sooooooo wrong!! She's had nearly 6 months to save up for this...I am so sorry about that. Things like this can ruin a friendship. She is gonna have to pay you for the portion that she would have used that is non-refundable...I'd demand it...and don't feel guilty...she's the one who has caused this all to crumble...not you!

StrwLady
04-29-2008, 02:01 AM
I'm not sure that you will be able to use the airline credit at a later date. Usually non refundable tickets are also non transferable. I would check into that.

I wouldn't jump to cancel anything. You have quite a bit of time before you would have to cancel the airfare and down grade your package. You never know if in that time her situation changes.

If not I think she owes you for the airfare (which you then would turn the credit over to her) and the cost of down grading the package.

I'm sorry you have been put in this situation. Hopefully things will work out and the friendship can survive this.

Take Care

Reginak
04-29-2008, 02:26 AM
Talk to your friend; you may find out that the problem is something that you can help her with - if not, explain that the airfare is non-refundable and offer to let her pay it out. She may be planning to offer just not able to do it in the immediate future.

Regina

Aliceacc
04-29-2008, 05:19 AM
Ask her if she's sure she can't come, since she's already bought the airline tickets and they're not refundable. Dont' talk about the money YOU'VE spent-- talk about what SHE has bought. Those tickets have her name on them, not yours.

You may never get your money (or your friend) back, but give it a good shot.

You should not be left holding the bag on this one!!

rainy~daze
04-29-2008, 07:34 AM
is there anyway possible you can pay the remainder and have her pay you with a payment plan? let her know since she already purchased airfare, even though she didn't reimburse you yet, she has too so she may as well still use it. but if you do a payment plan, make sure it is in writing when and what she will pay and you sign and have it notarized.

are you doing the dining plan? free dining starts the day after you arrive, can you do room only th first night then check back in for free dining? it means no ticket the first day...but a big savings if you were doing dining anyway.

Mermaid_Ariel
04-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Sounds like a case for Judge Judy.

YesMickey
04-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Same thing happened to me last year. However my inlaws bailed out before I reserved the package. I had already purchased the airline ticks and they paid for them upfront. I had them write me a check before I reserved them. Remember the disney portion should be 100% refundable before the 45 day mark. So if she does not pay you for the airline ticket, then get your credit and change your vacation to maybe a less expensive resort etc. and then if you are offered a bounce back from Disney while you are there, book it for you and your DD and use your airline credit for your next trip.:thumbsup2

ThruTheEyesOfMyChild
04-29-2008, 10:05 AM
is there anyway possible you can pay the remainder and have her pay you with a payment plan? let her know since she already purchased airfare, even though she didn't reimburse you yet, she has too so she may as well still use it. but if you do a payment plan, make sure it is in writing when and what she will pay and you sign and have it notarized.

are you doing the dining plan? free dining starts the day after you arrive, can you do room only th first night then check back in for free dining? it means no ticket the first day...but a big savings if you were doing dining anyway.

YES! I am already booked for room only res on 8/23 and then the rest of the package (8/24 thru 9/1 included free dining)! The balance of $1900+ was too be paid by her, since I paid the first $1900+ up front ($1600 airfare, $200 package deposit & $167 room only ressie). I guess that if she doesnt come up with some sort of plan prior to July 1 (due date for balance is July 6), I can modify ressie for DD & me...right!? No penalty!? Package price will just come down because it will only have 2 MYW tix, not 4! Dining is free, so that wont affect the package cost! The room rate is the same, whether there is 4 people or 2! I truly hope I dont have to eat the cost the airfare! I mean, I can use the airfare credits for other cheerleading trips to Nationals this upcoming season! :cheer2: But, would have been nice to have that $800 to pay towards the WDW trip instead. I always fundraise for cheerleading trips! Now, I will have to pay off the Am Ex bill first! Guess I will have to start saving some money now! Maybe I can get another job! :laundy: Thanks for all the supportive words everyone! :grouphug:

geokeim
04-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Sorry to hear about this mess.
I can't help but wonder if there may not be a lack of communication and assumption between you two?
You as the planner assume she would be responsible for her portion. (I know I'm the planner among my friends) and that her failing to live up to her end would cause stress and undo expense on your end.
She may be the type of person who needs this calmly explained in great detail.
(a happy go lucky non planner?)
Go over the situation with her item by item. Airfare, reservations, time spent planning etc.(write it down, some people are visual) Don't hold back on the way you feel, but stay calm.
See if she has the opportunity to borrow the money, put it on a credit card etc.
Once she understands the gravity of the situation, she may well come through.
If she doesn't, it doesn't seem as if she is a very good friend.
:headache:
If she refuses to come through (and lets be honest, she can come up with the $ if she wants to) post a note @ Cheerleading practice offering the trip to someone else. You & dd may make a new (and more responsible) friend who would love a trip to WDW.

good Luck!

surfer_ed
04-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Bad situation.

I think it is a no brainer she needs to pay for the tickets. Things do happen and the rest of it can be adjusted but she will need to work something out for you on the $800.

I have a brother who does this often. Last year in fact we waited for a family trip to Nova Scotia until the very last minute becuase he kept saying he was going and then cancelled.

We are all going to WDW this fall and I said I would arrange for a place to stay etc but not his airfare...simply becuase I do not think he can make it.

JodyTG
04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm really sorry that this happened to you. I also learned the hard way that no good deed goes unpunished...

MEK
04-29-2008, 12:26 PM
$400 RT airfare is very expensive. She is going to have to pay for her tickets and you will need to modify your reservation. I assume you are staying at a moderate for $167/room only. You could see if anything is available in the value resorts for free dining. The values really are fine for a mom/daughter. I stayed in them the last two summers with my son for free dining. That should cause your package price to decrease. Your package price will probably decrease by about $1000 if you drop the 2 tickets and downgrade to a value resort.

It is probably a good idea to do your own airfare in the future. I am not familiar with Hamburg NY, but you are paying more than I would pay to fly cross country.

No matter what happens, have a great trip!

skier_pete
04-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi there! Looks like we will be visiting the World at the same time and probably leaving from the same airport (Buffalo)...unfortunately I have already bought our air tickets, so I can't help you there. We will be at POFQ, so we'll probably share a bus at some point!

You are correct in that you can change the reservation however you want up to 45 days in advance. (That's July 7th for us both.) And you are also right, the room cost would be the same, the only difference would be the park tickets for your friend and her daughter. After that...you cannot make changes unless you have the insurance and a legitamate reason for changing ("I can't afford it" is not considered legitamate to the insurance company.)

I can't tell from your posts, did you talk things over with your friend, explain the situation with the airline tickets? If I were you, I would find out exactly how much will be non-refundable (call airtran on this) and then explain that to your friend. Tell her you understand her situation, but that you are losing X amount of $$ that you can't get refunded. I would suspect she would be willing to reimburse you for that, as it is not your fault she canceled the trip.

SkierPete

Crazy4Disney06
04-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Is there anyone that could take thier places? Maybe you could transfer the airline tickets to another name (someone who won't bail) and make your friend pay the transfer fee?
I'm sorry she bailed on you :(:headache:

cheerforchelsea
04-29-2008, 01:42 PM
In my opinion she is still responsible for any $$ that you cannot recover....:headache:

myrsfmly
04-29-2008, 01:53 PM
I had a similar situation recently... The way I got out of the airline tickets being non-refundable is this:

I upgraded the non-refundable ticket that I needed a refund on to a refundable ticket... cost me $700!!! then I immediately (on the way home from the travel agency) called and asked for it to be refunded and got the total (now $1200) refunded right back to the original credit card! It was a little scary because I was afraid that there could be a glitch and I would be out all that money but it worked perfectly with no hassle!! Good luck!

denman007
04-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I guess that if she doesnt come up with some sort of plan prior to July 1 (due date for balance is July 6), I can modify ressie for DD & me...right!? .... I mean, I can use the airfare credits for other cheerleading trips to Nationals this upcoming season! :cheer2: But, would have been nice to have that $800 to pay towards the WDW trip instead.

It sounds to me like you need to talk to her. Communication is key here.

I think these are your 3 options.

1. You can't get transferable tix or credits. Ask her for payment or pmt plan.

2. You can get credit vouchers. Ask her for payment or payment plan and give her the vouchers she bought.

3. You can transfer tix to someone else to go. Ask her to make up any differences/shortfalls.

You need to talk to her about your concerns and potential financial loss.

HM
04-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I had a similar situation recently... The way I got out of the airline tickets being non-refundable is this:

I upgraded the non-refundable ticket that I needed a refund on to a refundable ticket... cost me $700!!! then I immediately (on the way home from the travel agency) called and asked for it to be refunded and got the total (now $1200) refunded right back to the original credit card! It was a little scary because I was afraid that there could be a glitch and I would be out all that money but it worked perfectly with no hassle!! Good luck!

That is a very interesting idea! Glad it worked for you. :)

jenniferhornsby
04-29-2008, 03:07 PM
I had non refundable tickets on Southwest and the prices dropped after I booked them. They let me rebook the airfare and keep the difference as a credit that I had to use within the year. Maybe you could get the $800 credit for another trip...if you plan to travel within the next year. I'm so sorry though!!

Reginak
04-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Before you go any further, ask her gently what is going on and why can't she afford it - she may be in a real bind or it may just take her longer to pay back than the two of you originally planned.

Try to work it out; explain that the airfare is non-refundable. As said before see if one of the other cheerleaders would like to go or one of your daughter's other friends. They could pay for the airfare cost and your friend could pay for the penalties for changing the tickets.

If the airline won't let you do this then your friend should pay all nonrefundable stuff and if you explain that you can't get a refund then she may step up and pay without you having to ask. She may not realize that you are getting stuck with the bill.

Regina

StrwLady
04-29-2008, 05:59 PM
I found this on Airtran's web site. I think you need to talk with your friend and work something out.

"All AirTran Airways coach tickets are non-refundable and a $75 fee per person applies to any change made after purchase, plus any applicable increase in airfare. Business class tickets (A and J fare classes only; not including promotional fares) are fully refundable and no fee applies to changes. Please note that the lowest fares may require an advance purchase, such as 3, 7, or 14 days. Fares shown do not include Airport Passenger Facility Charges of up to $18. The September 11th security fee of up to $10 is not included. Fares do not include segment taxes up to $3.50 per segment. A segment is defined as a takeoff and a landing. Fares to/from Puerto Rico do not include additional government taxes of up to $30.80. Cancellations must be made at least one hour prior to departure or customer forfeits reservation and any monies paid against the reservation. This reservation is non-transferable - no name changes allowed."

If you were willing to take the credit and us it later then maybe instead you can allow her to pay you over time

Regardless, as I said in an earlier post, I hope all works out and your friendship can withstand this.

danceintherain
04-29-2008, 06:37 PM
awww... that totally sucks... I hope that you can work it out.

Cool-Beans
04-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Go and stay somewhere cheap. No reason to lose out just because she isn't going.

Never count on anyone going until they pony up the dough (or you're willing to foot it). People like to say they're going to do things because they really WANT to do them. They HOPE to be able to do them. They really aren't planning to screw you over. But they do because reality crashes down on them and it isn't practical for them to spend the money.

Not just for Disney, but for everything, wait until they put their money where their mouth is. :)

ThruTheEyesOfMyChild
04-29-2008, 07:46 PM

I am VERRRRRRY interested in hearing more about how this worked for you! I am having a hard time understanding it. My AirTran tix are coach, non-refundable. I hate the thought of spending anymore money on them to make this work...probably because i don't undertand the theory.

I want to discuss this with my friend, however, she is now playing the "hide-n-seek" game with me. Probably because she is embarassed by the whole thing. I havent called AirTran yet to cancel anything or to find out the penalities associated with cancelling, still hoping for a miracle...or maybe a little pixie dust!!!

Reginak
04-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Consider offering to change the dates of your trip so that she can have longer to pay.

One solution would be that you and your daughter go now; upgrade to season passes; reschedule her airfare and return with her and her daughter when she is able to pay for room, etc. She might be able to pay for the airplane tickets plus the $75 change fee for each ticket but not able to pay for the whole trip. She could start making payments to you now for the airfare and, when finished, start saving up for the rest of the trip which you take before July of next year.

Your season passes would allow you to return next time without having to pay for park tickets and you might be able to get a season pass discount of up to 40% on your room now and on the room you book for your trip later.

This way you get your $800 back. She pays $800 plus $75 per ticket and still gets to go to WDW at a later date giving her more time to save; her $800 isn't wasted money.

I don't think that you have to pay the fees to change the tickets until you schedule the new flights; you just have to let them know that you are canceling the current flights.

Regina

SunnieRN
04-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Wow! I'm so sorry you are going through all of this...

1st) I would ask the mothers of your daughters other cheerleeding friends, or school friends if they would be interested in going on the trip with you.
Maybe you can find someone who would like to join you! Then, since your original friend is having financial issues, she would only be liable for the difference in costs.

2nd) Check online for "Craigs List" in your area. Good/free place to list things for sale and being airline tickets and with a long way out for people to plan. You should most likely be able to sell them without a problem.

3rd) I would ask your friend to make a written agreement to reimburse you for ANY financial loss you have due to the situation. If you explain to her that you are diligently using your planning skills to help "fix" the financial burden she left you in she may be more willing to be reasonable with you!

I hope you and your daughter have a WONDERFUL time on your vacation!
Best of luck with recouping your losses!

myrsfmly
04-29-2008, 11:45 PM
I am VERRRRRRY interested in hearing more about how this worked for you! I am having a hard time understanding it. My AirTran tix are coach, non-refundable. I hate the thought of spending anymore money on them to make this work...probably because i don't undertand the theory.

I want to discuss this with my friend, however, she is now playing the "hide-n-seek" game with me. Probably because she is embarassed by the whole thing. I havent called AirTran yet to cancel anything or to find out the penalities associated with cancelling, still hoping for a miracle...or maybe a little pixie dust!!!

I bought non-refundable/exchangable tickets (on usair I think) to go to Disney with family and a family friend. The family friend backed out (not so friendly) and I was afraid I was going to be out the $300 for the ticket... I called usair or whatever airline it was and they told me to:

Upgrade the ticket (cost me $700)
Then cancel the entire reservation
credit was immediatly reimbursed to my credit/debit card for the full amount

I was nervous to do it but it worked amazingly well... call the airline and ask if you can purchase an upgrade to the ticket that will make it transferrable and/or refundable. It costs an arm and a leg but the money was only out of my account for ten minutes. I used my debit card so it would be reimbursed quicker... sometimes my credit company can take forever... I had to go to the ticket office in person to upgrade the ticket (Can't remember why) and I literally called the 800 # for the airline from the parking lot after the upgrade and got all my money back... You should try it! I was 2 minutes away from trying to sell the ticket on ebay!

dizplanner
04-29-2008, 11:52 PM
The problem with the upgrade option was that she bought the airline tickets through Disney - this would make this much more harder to do if it is possible at all.

MouseketeerOvaHere
04-30-2008, 12:01 AM
First of all I want to say as everyone else I am sorry this happened to you.But if I may offer a little bit of a different view?
I just want to say, you mentioned that trips have always been booked by you and she always came through. As awful as this is, maybe something is really wrong financially. Take a breather and then just talk to her, find out what the deal is. I think that you did this because there is a certain amount of trust, friendship and a history between you.
Do what you have to do, add up you losses and if she can't pay you in full, maybe a payment plan to cover all your losses and have the agreement in writing ( you never know if she does try to pull a fast one, court would be next and you need your proof). I just don't think you would have floated her for so much if you didn't trust her to some extent and take it from someone who has been there, maybe she has a really good reason why she suddenly can't go.
Please don't be angry, I just wanted to give you some perpective though as others have said the situation is awful.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The economy is sh@t right now, gas has jumped close to a dollar since this time last year, food prices are up,foreclosures are a dime a dozen, airlines are going backrupt and if this lady is having financal trouble, I'm sure a vacation is the last of her worries. Not saying that she doesn't care about causing you distress and possibly ruining a friendship, cause I'm sure she is very embarrassed and upset that she is having to bail on you. Take our advice, sit down and talk with her and see what the deal is. Of course, even after it is said and done you may be stuck in a rut still but at least you know that you tried to come to a conclusion as to why things are the way the are. I'm very sorry that you are in this position. It sucks. Personally, I would go ahead and treat this as if she isn't going to be able to hold her end of the deal up and change the disney rev's (call to see what they can do to help you) and call the airline to see what can be done. Even though the tickets say nonrefundable they have the ultimate discretion and may be willing to work something out for you to receive a credit or sell them to be transferred.

Good luck to you and take this as a lesson learned. We've all tried to do good just to be burned.

ThruTheEyesOfMyChild
04-30-2008, 10:32 AM
The problem with the upgrade option was that she bought the airline tickets through Disney - this would make this much more harder to do if it is possible at all.

Yes, I did purchase the tix thru WDW Travel Company...however...I have the AirTran confirmation number, because I got it to get seat asssignments. So maybe it wouldnt be too much trouble to do the upgrade thing if I had too! I will wait it out a little while longer, I still have a windo to play with here...deadline for paying off package isn't until July 6th. If my friend has not come thru by June 20th...I will start the wheels in motion to trying to upgrade on flights, then refunding, then paying off balance on modified ressie for DD & me. Sounds like a plan...right!? Then why do I still have such a sinking feeling in my gut? Probably becuz I could loose a friendship over this I guess! Wish Tink would show up and sprinkle a little pixie dust for me!!!!

skier_pete
04-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Be careful trying that upgrade trick. Just because one airline lets you do it doesn't mean they all would. Talk to them first, maybe not telling them what you plan to do, but ask "So if I upgrade it a refundable fare, would I still get the full refund if canceled, or only the difference?" Get it in writing too is the best way to be sure before you do it. Ask for a copy of the policy.

SkierPete

ThruTheEyesOfMyChild
04-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Be careful trying that upgrade trick. Just because one airline lets you do it doesn't mean they all would. Talk to them first, maybe not telling them what you plan to do, but ask "So if I upgrade it a refundable fare, would I still get the full refund if canceled, or only the difference?" Get it in writing too is the best way to be sure before you do it. Ask for a copy of the policy.

SkierPete

Hey SkierPete....I guess "it's a small world afterall"...we will be flying out the same day, same airport, same resorts,(hopefully for me & DD)! :hippie:

Reginak
04-30-2008, 02:14 PM
First, talk to your friend - I know that you said that she is hiding from you right now but give her a chance. Try leaving a message with a mutual friend whose call she would answer or leaving a message on her machine explaining that you are not upset but would like to try to work everything out. I am sure that she feels awful and is deeply embarrassed or she wouldn't be trying to hide.

Second, when you do call AirTran either be honest and explain that you are going to get stuck with the bill; or, better yet, explain that two of the people on your reservation may not be able to make the trip and ask how much it would cost to upgrade those tickets to nonrefundable, then upgrade and later get the refund.

It has only been a couple of days since you first posted; give your friend a little more time before you act.

Regina

aripantaloon
04-30-2008, 02:24 PM
That's a shame. I think I'd talk to your friend to first find out what's going on that caused her to cancel. I'd be understanding, but also point out to her that you are not out small change here. See what she says. She may be more than willing to pay you back with time, but just didn't have the guts to talk to you about it yet.

Do your research before upgrading to refundable tickets. You don't want to be out any more money.

I guess in the future, for joint trips with anyone, I'd insist on the $ upfront before booking, just to be on the safe side. I hope she comes through and doesn't leave you holding the bag, so-to-speak.

ThruTheEyesOfMyChild
06-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Well....here I am, more than 1 month later...and still not pne penny from her! YEP!!! See the stamp...right across my forehead...BOO BOO, THE FOOL!!!! We have discusse dit a few times, and she has said to me..."oh yea, I have it marked on my calendar, it's worked into my budget, i know how much is owed and when"....NOTHING STILL!

Her daughter (my adopted-like daughter, my DD's BFF) just had a birthday 2 weeks ago. I made her a photo album with about 50 pictures of the girls together over the past 4 years. Of course I made my DD a matching one. Well, the last photo was going to be the BIG SURPRISE ANNOUNCEMENT for the girls (the photo is shown below). Her mom loved the idea and was so excited that I would do that (I created it in Photoshop). I havent seen her to give her the gift. It is still sitting at my house. I cant reach her mom...I am sure it is avoidance at this point.

The final balance is due on July 6th. I have a feeling I will be out the $800 for their flights. I can modify the ressie for DD and me....but still really ticks me off!

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll173/noelledoyle/shirt1.jpg

maxiesmom
06-10-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm so sorry.:hug: I really hope your friend comes thru for you. It would be such a shame.

Disney Debbie
06-10-2008, 08:49 PM
I don't know if you've ever heard of Dave Ramsey - but this is what he'd call "stupid tax". It's the tax we pay for being "stoopid". It's a hard lesson to learn - but one you've learned well I bet! There's a reason your "friend" has bad credit - irresponsiblity. If she doesn't care any more then this about leaving you in the lurch - do you think she cares about paying her bills on time?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not calling you stupid - I've paid MORE then my share of stupid tax! You will more then likely be stuck paying the bill for this - and you'll never do something like that again! Just let it go, learn your lesson and forgive yourself. Don't hold it against the daughter - and try to forgive the mother - but I'd never trust her again.

BTW - the page you did is AWESOME! Photo shop the friend out and do a card or something for your DD with it - don't let it go to waste!

WillCAD
06-11-2008, 12:04 AM
Yup, avoidance.

Next time you see your friend, whenever that might be, tell her, "I need $XX by July 6, or Disney will cancel your reservation and you will still owe the $800 non-refundable airfare."

Don't put yourself in the middle at all - it's all her.

I'm terribly sorry if your friend has hit hard financial times and is unable to pony up due to some unavoidable tragedy like a death in the family, health-care costs, broken vehicle or home, or losing a job. But no matter what terrible thing has happened to make her stiff you for an $800 non-refundable airfare bill, she still owes that money and must make good on it.

Something like this happened to me in 2000, when my friends told me, "Yeah, we'll go to Disney with you! Book it!" So I booked a hotel, and they both cancelled out a couple of weeks later and acted like they had never heard of Disney. Well, I was still able to use the hotel myself, I just paid more per night than I would have if I knew I was going solo. I still got a good bargain - $99 a night for a two-bedroom unit at Parc Corniche - but I could have spent a lot less if I had not booked the 2br unit. Lesson learned - I will never again book ANYTHING that has the words "non-refundable" on it, except airfare. And I always book with Southwest, which allows me to re-schedule without a change fee, so even if disaster strikes, I won't lose my airfare.

Reginak
06-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Maybe she is waiting for a stimilus check?

Regina

murphy t
06-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Any chance you could take just her daughter with you? Hopefully you will get the money for the airline tickets so that is already a cost the mom has to eat
so she would just have to buy park tickets, have the kids save up their own spending money..... Then your daughter would have her friend with her.
Good luck Murphy

MsPlutoNJ
06-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I completely feel your pain.

I went to Disney last year by myself. So this year, my cousin, right after I book my trip for October (in March), says, "I told you I want to go." So I call up the next day and book her with me. A week later, I tell her that she should put some money down for Disney and she gives me $100. Looking back now, and knowing her the way I do, I should have put it towards the flight, but...I didn't. Any way, fastforward to last week and I ask her if she is still going? (Mind you she hasn't given me any money and I've paid off my part of it.) To which she says, "All I think about is Disney $$$, I don't think I can afford it." Now I honestly don't care about going by myself. It was great last year, but, I now have to change everything, hotel, food ressies and of course I have to add a spa treatment. :goodvibes When it came to telling her about the money, I told her showed owed me the balance of the flight. ($217 - $100 = $117.) Actually, not only is she my cousin but she's my roommate. So if she does not pay me the balance, I'll make her life miserable. Just kidding...sort of.

I hope pays you back the money. Even if it's a little at a time and after your trip, maybe, just maybe, that would save your friendship.

Good luck. And no matter what, enjoy Disney with your daughter.

lunalibre
06-11-2008, 11:32 AM
We've planned trips with friends twice (different friends), who ended up backing out on us.

The first time it happened, we had booked a condo to go skiing with friends. Luckily we were coming from different cities, so we had different airfare booked. We had bought trip insurance on the condo, but it didn't help. Our friends cancelled because the DH had ear infections and couldn't fly. Our trip insurance would let us cancel, but we had to cancel the *whole package*. IOW, all of us would have to cancel the trip. Obviously we still wanted to go. We ended up eating the cost of the full condo ourselves. Gulp. We tried to do the right thing, our friends didn't want to have to bail on us, so...yes, we were out some extra money, but the friendship was still good.

The second time it happened, we had again booked a condo to go skiing with friends (different friends). We had booked our own airfare, but when I booked the condo (and trip insurance!), I specifically asked what would happen if the other couple had to back out. As long as it was for legitimate reasons (health problems, death in the family, etc.), the other couple could cancel their portion for a refund, and yet my family would still be able to go at no additional cost to us. Boy, was it a good thing we did this! The DW tore her ACL during a post-Thanksgiving touch football game two months before the trip. :( We felt really bad that they had to cancel, but at least we were able to go on the trip ourselves. The friendship is still good.

Actually, that was the last time we tried to plan a trip with anyone else. We got too spooked about what might happen. It's been a few years now, so we'd be willing to try it again, but definitely with ground rules:

- Everyone books and pays for their own airfare.
- Trip cancellation insurance must be bought that covers the cost of anyone having to back out, but yet the remaining participants can still go for no extra cost.
- All money must be paid up front.

Okay, wait a minute -- I lied. We did plan a trip with someone else (smacks forehead). Dear Family Friend (DFF) came with us to Disneyworld last year! However, adding her was easy. She paid for her own airfare, we added her to our room reservation, then she paid us the extra adult fee for the room. It truly cost us nothing to add her to our reservation except for extra space in the room. :rotfl: If she had had to cancel, it wouldn't have changed our plans at all. We hope to all go to Disney together again in 2010. [Sigh. That's so VERY VERY VERY far away. :sad1: ]

Good luck. It really sucks that she's stuck you like this and won't even talk to you to explain what happened.

Disney Fool
06-11-2008, 12:09 PM
I have a very dear Disney friend, an older woman who is very, very wise. A long time ago, she got tired of friends who wanted to come along on her Disney trips but somehow never wanted to pay up when the time came. My dear, wise friend now tells everyone, family included, the dates she's going, where she's staying with hubbie, and what she'll be doing. It's up to them if they want to join her--they have to make their own plans. Period. She told me she was sick of being disappointed by those perpetual "back-outs" after the plans were made. Nowadays, she's only concerned with her husband and herself. Makes life easier. At one time, I thought she was being rather hard on her friends, but oh, my,....how I have learned....Now, I tell my friends what I'm doing, where I'll be, and I hand them phone numbers to call. tee-hee. It's a sure way to find out who's really serious about the tirp. :rolleyes1

KimK2006
06-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Any chance you could take just her daughter with you? Hopefully you will get the money for the airline tickets so that is already a cost the mom has to eat
so she would just have to buy park tickets, have the kids save up their own spending money..... Then your daughter would have her friend with her.
Good luck Murphy

This is what I was going to suggest! Since the daughter's ticket is paid for, you have free dining, and you will already be paying the total cost for the resort room anyway, why not take her. If Mom can't come through with ticket $, maybe she had a dad/grandparent(s) who could give her an early Christmas gift. And she would have to bring her own spending $$. (I make my kids do that anyway!) Then you can give her the photo album with the Disney Surprise page!

Amy&Dan
06-11-2008, 02:35 PM
I would tell her that you want CASH too. I can totally see this woman writing a hot check. And while I think its a shame for her little girl, frankly I wouldn't take her. Even with free dining, there's always lots of extras that come up. YOu don't want to not be able to buy your own daughter a souveneir or something because then you will be stuck paying for the other kid too. And its a huge responsibility to have another person's child with you on a trip. This woman sounds very irresponsible, who knows if she would send her with any money. Also, if you go make sure this child has valid health insurance so that if something comes up that base is covered. It sounds cold, but I just wouldn't do it. If mom doesn't pay up, your friendship is probably over anyway. And if it is, thats on her, not you.

I wouldn't let her go one day past July 6. If she doesn't pay cancel her end of it and don't let her weasle her way back in.

And again, make her pay you for cash for everything from here on out.

I feel so bad for you, what a shame. I hope you and your daughter have a wonderful trip.:hug:

Frankiesmom
06-11-2008, 03:08 PM
What a shame! And the air credit will be in her and her DD's names- you won't even be able to use them. The airfare stays with the name of the ticketed passenger. I hope this works out for you!

ObsessedwiththeMouse
06-11-2008, 03:13 PM
I would have my friend reimburse me the airline tickets and go with just me and my daughter. It will still be a fun weekend you get to spend together. :)

Minnie&Nana
06-11-2008, 03:28 PM
This is such a shame. I am so sorry.

If possible, I would take the daughter and leave the mother in the dust. She will owe you the money for air anyway, so why not let the daughter go along - it will be a lot of fun for your DD and you too, I bet. :) Might consider down-grading the resort, if a value is still available, just to save money.

Of course, it will be a bit difficult to offer this as an option since you cannot get in touch with her, but fingers crossed, something will work out very soon.

:tinker: Sending loads of dust your way!

lntsmom
06-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Here are my thoughts:

1. Did you buy trip insurance? If so, cancel the entire thing, tell your friend she owes you whatever penalties you incur, and rebook for just yourself and your DD.

2. If not, are the air tickets transferable? Many are with a small penalty. If so, your friend could consider trying to e-bay them so she could give you whatever she can get for them and owe you that much less.

3. Once you know how much your friend is costing you by changing her mind, talk to her about a payment schedule. Write this all up, go to a notary and both of you sign it in front of the notary, then if needs be, file it at the local courthouse. Most places allow you to place documents on file for a small fee. This will cover you in case your friend decides to not pay you back...you've documented that she owes you money and she's legally agreed to that.

I'm sorry this has happened to you! I hope you have the trip insurance!

ThruTheEyesOfMyChild
06-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Okay, here is what I found out yesterday from AIRTRAN! I called them to inquire what my options are if my friends does not come through...which I suspect she wont.

They cannot help me, since I went through an travel agent (WDW)...they can only book my seats. She confirmed for me that all I need to do is call back WDW, cancel the 2 additional flights & modify the ressie. The 2 paper tickets need to be returned to WDW. I pay a penalty of $75 for each ticket and then I receive a credit for the flight in MY NAME, since I purchased the tix...not my friend's name or her daughter's name. I guess that is the benefit of using a TA. The flights for them cost me $778....so I would get a $628 credit to use within 1 year. I guess that is better than I sharp stick in the eye!!!! Too bad I cant use the credit towards paying off the balance for the modified ressie!

Maybe this will all work out! Think I will make the changes at the end of the month...still holding out for a miracle....and a little pixie dust!!!!

vettechick99
06-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Hope things work out for you. Such a shame it's going like this!

AlexTina
06-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Here's a question for you. Are the AirTran credits transferable? We always fly Southwest and I always book our flights well in advance to be sure to get the flight times I want. Then I check air fare daily and whenever it is lowered I modify my ressie (you can do all this online with Southwest) anyhow, by the time our trip comes around I've usually accumulated several credits which I turn around and sell on Ebay. The credit always sell for practically their face value. We just got back from our trip on 6/4, this past wednesday I listed my credits on Ebay and they were sold and paid for within 20 minutes. I had an $88 credit which I listed for $80 and a $64 credit which I listed for $60, so in the end just a few dollars lost. If they are transferable I would quickly cancel the tix and list the credit on Ebay then you will be able to apply the money you get back from selling the credits to apply to your ressie. good luck!!

skier_pete
06-15-2008, 08:18 AM
I was just going to say what AlexTina just said...we had some credits on SW that I had leftover as well and sold on e-bay. The purchaser just needed my name and the confirmation # and can use the credits. I was surprised how much the credits went for. I think I got like $80 for $86 in credits. This may be only a second choice, as it would involve further loss on the funds, but if you won't be able to use the credit within a year, it might well be worth it.

I did a quick search on e-bay and did not find any Airtran credit vouchers, so it seems unlikely to be possible though.

Also, be sure to check when you have to use the credits...SW makes you use the credits within a year of the original purchase, NOT a year from when you make the cancelation.

SkierPete

ThruTheEyesOfMyChild
06-24-2008, 10:28 AM
No...it's what what you think...my friend DID NOT come through! :worried:

After speaking with Airtran, as stated in my previous post, they were very clear that I should have been able to get a airline credit for the 2 tix that my friend stiffed me for...even though they are NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERRABLE! Well, after speaking to a not-so-friendly "nameless" gentleman (I am withholding his name) in Air Help at WDW, he refused to be any assistance to me. He kept telling me that just because AirTran's policy allowed for such a credit/change...WDW did not. He kept insisting that they would not allow for a name change to then allow for a credit to my name for the air tix. I kept trying to explain to him that all I wanted was what I would have been given had I purchased the tix directly through airTran...going no where and no where fast! I asked for a Supervisor and finally got one after 15 minutes. I spoke to an amazingly friendly "named" woman in Air Help at WDW. I explained the situation. This was on Friday afternoon (June 13). She seemed very understanding and told me that she was not sure there was anything she could do, but would check with their Air Tran Sales Rep to see if the policy had recently changed. She also informed me that she was going to be on vacation the following week, but she would inform her "named" Assistant, who would touch base with me via telephone &/or email during the week. I thanked her for her time and she wished me "a magical day!"

Fast forward to Monday, June 23...10 days later....no phone call or email from highly anticpated suspected friendly assistant...bummer!! :( So, much to my dismay, I realize that I never asked for a callback number for the Supervisor or Assistant in Air Help or even an email address, so I call the direct dial number for ressies and asked to be transferred. :surfweb: 10 minutes later I am speaking with...guess who...the "nameless" Air Help rep from 10 days ago who had my blood boiling. :furious: I politely asked for the Supervisor...HE FOUND HER FOR ME!!!!

Here's the climax... popcorn:: she tells me that I should not be punished for purchasing the tix through a travel agency. They have been fully refunded for me. The full credit, no cancellation fees....has been credited towards my ressie....I still had a $406 balance to pay...and the remaining $381 was credited back to my American Express!!!! :banana: So, I did not have to make the final payment towards our ressie. This lady rocks! :worship: I had to mail the 2 paper tix back to her this morning and of course I included a little note thanking her for all her help! It brings me to tears to know that someone cared enough to help me with this. It would normally be impossible to have something like this happen! Afterall...they were non-refundable AND nontransferrable! I give honor to God for His favor in this....and of course a little sprinkling a pixie dust always helps too!!! pixiedust:

disneydreamin247
06-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Glad to hear it all worked out for you in the end!

pooch
06-24-2008, 10:37 AM
I, too, planned a trip this year for a "friend" that didn't work out. Won't go into detail but I feel your pain!! Luckily, I was able to get her SWA ticket swapped out at the same rate & transferred to my DD's who graciously agreed to stand in for me. So, although I now have to pay for the whole trip instead of the half I was expecting, at least I still get to go and have a wonderful time with my DD!!

3for Me
06-24-2008, 10:38 AM
I have been quietly watching your story from the sidelines. I had to post to say that I am so happy this worked out for you!:goodvibes Your story put a smile on my face this morning:) and I hope you and your girl enjoy a FABULOUS mother/daughter vacation!

Buy yourselves each a little something special with the money you thought you lost but got back. You deserve it after all the stress this has put on you.

ThruTheEyesOfMyChild
06-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Buy yourselves each a little something special with the money you thought you lost but got back. You deserve it after all the stress this has put on you.

Great idea!!!:cool1: What do you suggest? I would like to do something with this vacation we havent done before! Upgrade to something special!?

ols386
06-24-2008, 11:19 AM
I don't really have any suggestions....just wanted to say I'm sorry this happened to you. Although it does seem like your friend should pay you back the FULL amount of her airline tickets, and whatever money you are out after paying the WDW deposit, etc.

mickeynut1
06-24-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm with 3for Me.....I also have been following this thread without posting, but I had to say I'm soo glad it all worked out for you and your DD :yay:. I agree you should buy something special as this WILL be a very special trip after all the turmoil your friend put you through :mad:. Here's some pixie dust for you and your DD that you'll have the most magical trip ever pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:.

karibritt01
06-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Great idea!!!:cool1: What do you suggest? I would like to do something with this vacation we havent done before! Upgrade to something special!?

Go to Bibbity Bobbity Boutique for a makeover. Then go get pics made at DTD. Then head over for a character dinner while your DD is "pretty as a princess!" We did this for DD last year. Hair, make-up, and nails: $45. Cinderella dress from Wal-Mart: $20. Then headed over to Cinderella's Gala at GF. The extra attention she got was worth every penny!

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t94/karibritt01/DSC01223.jpg

kadesha
06-24-2008, 11:39 AM
I am SO glad you were able to get this worked out. I can imagine how stressful it was for you, so I'm glad to see a happy ending. How are things with your friend though, is she still avoiding you? So sad that this has put strain on your friendship. :(

MissMichelle
06-24-2008, 11:42 AM
awww that stinks! I haven't kept reading yet to see how the situation is now , but by reading the 1st post I felt so bad since this is what I was slightly afraid of with the friends of ours that are going. Money is tight for everyone right now but its hard when u have it all planned :(

skier_pete
06-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Excellent for you!!!! Persistance pays off! Hope to see you and DD down there wandering around the parks. Look for this fellow Buffalonian wearing a Sabres hat and an orange camelbak with a Lime-Green Mickey Head that says skierpete. I will be with a small girl that will be whining about not wanting to go on the rides and/or not wanting to walk. You can't miss me, I'm sure she will be the only one like that there.:lmao:

SkierPete

Lehuaann
06-24-2008, 01:13 PM
No...it's what what you think...my friend DID NOT come through! :worried:

After speaking with Airtran, as stated in my previous post, they were very clear that I should have been able to get a airline credit for the 2 tix that my friend stiffed me for...even though they are NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERRABLE! Well, after speaking to a not-so-friendly "nameless" gentleman (I am withholding his name) in Air Help at WDW, he refused to be any assistance to me. He kept telling me that just because AirTran's policy allowed for such a credit/change...WDW did not. He kept insisting that they would not allow for a name change to then allow for a credit to my name for the air tix. I kept trying to explain to him that all I wanted was what I would have been given had I purchased the tix directly through airTran...going no where and no where fast! I asked for a Supervisor and finally got one after 15 minutes. I spoke to an amazingly friendly "named" woman in Air Help at WDW. I explained the situation. This was on Friday afternoon (June 13). She seemed very understanding and told me that she was not sure there was anything she could do, but would check with their Air Tran Sales Rep to see if the policy had recently changed. She also informed me that she was going to be on vacation the following week, but she would inform her "named" Assistant, who would touch base with me via telephone &/or email during the week. I thanked her for her time and she wished me "a magical day!"

Fast forward to Monday, June 23...10 days later....no phone call or email from highly anticpated suspected friendly assistant...bummer!! :( So, much to my dismay, I realize that I never asked for a callback number for the Supervisor or Assistant in Air Help or even an email address, so I call the direct dial number for ressies and asked to be transferred. :surfweb: 10 minutes later I am speaking with...guess who...the "nameless" Air Help rep from 10 days ago who had my blood boiling. :furious: I politely asked for the Supervisor...HE FOUND HER FOR ME!!!!

Here's the climax... popcorn:: she tells me that I should not be punished for purchasing the tix through a travel agency. They have been fully refunded for me. The full credit, no cancellation fees....has been credited towards my ressie....I still had a $406 balance to pay...and the remaining $381 was credited back to my American Express!!!! :banana: So, I did not have to make the final payment towards our ressie. This lady rocks! :worship: I had to mail the 2 paper tix back to her this morning and of course I included a little note thanking her for all her help! It brings me to tears to know that someone cared enough to help me with this. It would normally be impossible to have something like this happen! Afterall...they were non-refundable AND nontransferrable! I give honor to God for His favor in this....and of course a little sprinkling a pixie dust always helps too!!! pixiedust:

I have been reading (lurking, ha! :bitelip:) your thread since you started it and girl, that's more than pixiedust:...that's a flat-out MIRACLE...Looks like the Lord was looking out for you! :worship: I send you MANY BLESSINGS on your upcoming trip!!! :hug:

rainy~daze
06-24-2008, 01:13 PM

if you have never done Cirque de Soleil, you can try that...it is awesome. we took our 6 and 5 yo to it last year...they loved it!! or send her on a pirate cruise while you go get a massage...

Have fun no matter what you do!

LilGMom
06-24-2008, 01:18 PM
I would like to do something with this vacation we havent done before! Upgrade to something special!?

:cool1: That is great that it seems to have worked out in your favor. Something you and your DD could do would be to go get facials or some primping at one of the spas. I would have loved to do that with my mom when I was little, now I would just love to do that without the kids around. :)

We learned a few trips ago about making travel plans with people. I'm happy to help people and even coordinate times but we will have our own ressies and they will have their own, even ADRs for the most part.

creativeamanda
06-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I just wanted to say congrats to you! I am happy it all worked out for you. :)

3for Me
06-24-2008, 01:39 PM

Oooh - I don't know, since I am not sure how much you'd want to spend. (IF it were me it'd be a LARGE Margarita from the Mexico pavillion ;) )

I'll make a suggestion, though - pass along a little of your pixie dust to another child - an ice cream or pin or something - just a little thought. I might also bring back a small something for the child that got "jipped" out of her trip. Maybe a cute piece of Mickey jewelry or something. I can't help feeling bad for that child. I am, however VERY happy for you and your little girl - do something girly together with that extra $$! ENJOY!

ThruTheEyesOfMyChild
06-24-2008, 01:44 PM
I have been reading (lurking, ha! :bitelip:) your thread since you started it and girl, that's more than pixiedust:...that's a flat-out MIRACLE...Looks like the Lord was looking out for you! :worship: I send you MANY BLESSINGS on your upcoming trip!!! :hug:

Thank you! I still can't stop grinning! God IS faithful! :yay: :banana: :love: :woohoo: ::yes::

ThruTheEyesOfMyChild
06-24-2008, 01:45 PM
if you have never done Cirque de Soleil, you can try that...it is awesome. we took our 6 and 5 yo to it last year...they loved it!! or send her on a pirate cruise while you go get a massage...

Have fun no matter what you do!

Hey...Cirque is a GRRRRRRRREAT idea! What is this Pirate Cruise you speak of!?!?

Alicnwondrln
06-24-2008, 02:42 PM
I am so happy for you!

rainy~daze
06-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Hey...Cirque is a GRRRRRRRREAT idea! What is this Pirate Cruise you speak of!?!?

check out this link for info on pirate cruises for the kids...mine have done the one at CBR and POR. they loved the one at CBR and enjoyed the one at POR, but not as much.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/just_for_kids/piratecruise.htm

aribelle
06-24-2008, 04:09 PM

Your daughter looks about the perfect age for a grown up tea party! Get all dressed up (or not, lol) and head over to the Grand Floridian in their Garden View Lounge and have tea and yummies! It's a very girly thing and a lovely time for both of you, warm loving memories. Here's a thread about it complete with pictures: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1514791 My girls' favorite tea was the Princess tea....slightly sweet. They also loved the Sally Lunn bread (more like a cake in flavor) and of course the swans!

Or, if that doesn't appeal, how about a mother/daughter makeover at Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique. You can have your hair done into Classical Princesses or Pop Divas, even Hannah Montana if that's your thing. Then head over to CRT for a lucious meal in the castle.

Maybe on your last day head over to Goofy's Candy and get a custom made mickey head candy to take back to BFF and her mom....to show that there are no hard feelings. I know you probably feel like wringing mom's neck but for your daughter's sake you can't...and I'll bet mom is fretting about it as well.

You've learned a hard lesson and got lucky that it worked out so well for you. From now on your credit card should only get used after cash is in hand from her....then you can immediately apply the cash to a payment on your credit card for her share and you're free and clear from her later changes.

Have a wonderful wonderful time!

MsPlutoNJ
06-25-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm very happy for you.

My suggestion is a mother daughter spa treatment. After all the "stuff" that you just had to go through and all the running around in Disney, you could use some YOU and DAUGHTER time.

Enjoy yourselves.

kaysmommie
06-25-2008, 03:29 PM
:yay: Glad you got refunded for the air tickets. Sorry about your so called friend though :( . Hope you have a great trip in August with your DD. please let us all know how you liked CSR. I booked there too for October. My DD8 would love to see Cirque and loves going to Bibbity Bobbity Boutique as well. But Cirque is definately on her list of wants. have a great time.

danceintherain
06-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Aww...I am so happy that it worked out for you! :goodvibes

MsPlutoNJ
06-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Oooh - I don't know, since I am not sure how much you'd want to spend. (IF it were me it'd be a LARGE Margarita from the Mexico pavillion ;) )

I'll make a suggestion, though - pass along a little of your pixie dust to another child - an ice cream or pin or something - just a little thought. I might also bring back a small something for the child that got "jipped" out of her trip. Maybe a cute piece of Mickey jewelry or something. I can't help feeling bad for that child. I am, however VERY happy for you and your little girl - do something girly together with that extra $$! ENJOY!

I love this idea.

Teacher510
06-25-2008, 10:13 PM
So glad that you got your miracle!:banana: As a suggestion for something that may be different for you-how about the trail ride at FW? Dd and I did this during Christmas week and it was lots of fun. Whatever you do, enjoy!:yay:

Reginak
06-27-2008, 03:00 PM
I am thrilled at the way things worked out! It is the next best thing to having your friends go too and maybe even better.
Our favorite treat is to go the California Grill on our last night and watch the fireworks from the viewing platform. All of the other ideas sound great: I would have a hard time deciding.
Also, if you do the trail ride, consider adding a canoe ride at FW, followed by dinner at Whispering Canyon, Mickey's Backyard BBQ or the Hoop De Doo Revue. That would be a wonderful day and my kids were dying to go on the the canoes and the trail ride but my husband got sick at the last minute and I didn't know how I would manage all four kids by myself.
Have fun,
Regina

SunnieRN
07-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I am so happy that the airline came through. That is fantastic!

larryz
07-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Good on ya! Glad to see things were well resolved. Don't forget to send a letter to Guest Relations commending your "named" supervisor for her helping you out. :worship:

She'll appreciate it, and it should have a positive effect on her direct reports as well, as they see the recognition she gets.

Have fun!