PDA

View Full Version : 3 Rooms at POFQ or 9 of us in AKLV?

annasmama
04-28-2008, 04:56 PM
We are starting to plan our '09 trip :banana: There will be myself and my dh, our 4 kids (ages then will be 10, 8, 4 and 1), my parents and my sister. Last year we did 2 rooms at POFQ and absolutely loved the resort. But with another baby for the next trip, we would need 3 rooms. I was looking around the DW site and saw that the Villas at AKL sleep up to 9. I know nothing about AKL or the Villas, so any help is greatly appreciated!

So what's better - 3 rooms at POFQ during Regular Season (that's when we went last year and we had great weather and manged the crowds very well), or all of us in a Villa during the off season (probably mid-January). If I'm reading the site right, the price difference is only around $300.

TIA! :)

disneymath
04-28-2008, 05:33 PM
... there are pros and cons to this ... villa has two bathrooms while 3 bedrooms have 3 bathrooms, villa has kitchen/living area, POR does not, etc. AKLV has animals, POR has multiple pools, AKLV is deluxe, POR is mod ...

What may be the deciding factor for you is whether you can even get a 2BDR at AKLV - it's the newest DVC resort and I would imagine that the 2BDR units are going pretty fast to DVC members.

(If you can get one, and don't think you will be too crowded all in "one" suite, then I would probably go with AKLV. Then again, I've never stayed or visited POR.) HTH a bit.

jcemom
04-28-2008, 05:54 PM
*I* would choose AKLV if you can get it. Consider renting points from a DVC member, just check out the DVC Rent/Trade forum here on the DIS.

djs
04-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Another thing to consider is that the Villa would have room to "hang" out whereas the rooms at POFQ would be limiting in that sense. Not that you'll be hanging out in the villa for hours on end, but something with a living room/kitchen etc might be nice to unwind in at the end of your day. One downside is that the living room area would probably also be someone's bedroom....so there's that to consider too. I haven't stayed at either place, but would probalby be inclined for space over privacy and would go for the villa.

pixie08
04-28-2008, 08:46 PM
POFQ is my fav mod but that being said i would choose AKV.

Crisgw
04-28-2008, 08:52 PM
I think the AKV sound wonderful!

annasmama
04-29-2008, 06:25 AM
Thank you for all of the replies so far :) We weren't sure if we would be too cramped in the Villa, but it sounds like we should try for it.

Thanks!

JodyTG
04-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Just as long as you understand that the slow times at WDW is the busy times with DVC because of the lower point cost. So, if this is something you really want to do I would reserve it as soon as possible.

As long as everyone who is going gets along really well and you don't see a problem in sharing a common area, then AKV is the way to go. But...I know my parents...and my husband's parents...and there is NO WAY that we could share even a 2-bedroom villa and stay sane...
:headache:

ElizabethB
04-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Since one in your party is under 3, you can stay at any two-bedroom DVC. You're not limited to AKLV.

Lilolvr
04-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Definitely AKLV!! :thumbsup2

Deb & Bill
04-29-2008, 12:56 PM
I would never stay with nine in a two bedroom at AKV. Much too crowded. Ideally, six could stay there and be fairly comfortable. But nine, no way. You'll have three people sleeping in the living room. Two in the master bedroom and four in the second bedroom.

If you are talking about Jan 09, you are limited to Jambo House and the two bedroom will be a lockoff villa (meaning the second bedroom can be booked as a studio and the rest be booked as a one bedroom). You'll have one sleeper sofa and one queen bed in the second bedroom. The one bed for the ninth person is a fold out sleeper chair in the living room (along with the sleeper sofa in the living room).

jcemom
04-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Isn't OKW roomier? We had seven (two adults, three teens, one pre-teen and one preschooler) in a 2 bedroom at OKW and felt we had more than enough space. With one of the OP's children being a baby and the others all small I think they'd fit just fine. OKW has two queen beds in the one bedroom, one king bed in the other, plus the sleeper sofa in the living room and a pack n play for the baby.

Deb & Bill
04-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Isn't OKW roomier? We had seven (two adults, three teens, one pre-teen and one preschooler) in a 2 bedroom at OKW and felt we had more than enough space. With one of the OP's children being a baby and the others all small I think they'd fit just fine. OKW has two queen beds in the one bedroom, one king bed in the other, plus the sleeper sofa in the living room and a pack n play for the baby.

Yes, definitely. Several hundred square feet more, plus real beds in both bedrooms.