PDA

View Full Version : DVC causes family problems?

wheeler
03-26-2002, 12:57 PM
Granny's post yesterday about DVC indifference reminded me I've been meaning to ask you all this question: Has DVC caused any "disharmony" within your immediate family/relatives? For example, DH & I had quite the squabble the other day because he feels as though I "like Disney too much" and "it's not necessary to go more than once a year" and "there are improvements we should be making to the house instead" etc. etc. Anyone else have a spouse that doesn't "get it"? Also, what about relatives who appear jealous that you vacation so often? My older brother recently moved back into my parents house with his twin 5 year olds and two year old in tow (he's divorced and got custody). I went for 5 days around Christmas (1st DVC trip) I have a 9 day trip in April, and a 5 day trip in Oct, and since we all have AP's, all we're paying for is plane tickets & food. Well, when I made the mistake of mentioning the Oct. trip, he actually said, "Geez, why don't you let me take my kids! We could use a vacation ya' know!" I reminded him that I mentioned to him before that he was welcome to go there, if he was commited to specific dates and could plan & save for the airfare, tickets, meals & misc for all of them, and he says, "Yeah, well, it's not easy for SOME people to come up w/that kinda money ya know!" Sheesh! I offered to make all the arrangements and everything. Anyone else go through this? Please??????!!!!!!!!! (I'd hate to realize I was the only DVC-er w/a crabby spouse and jealous siblings!)

HeatherPage
03-26-2002, 01:32 PM
My husband is pretty tolerating, especially since we made the deal that if I got to do DVC that I couldn't make a fuss when he wanted to make a big purchase in the future (as long as we could afford it). That day has finally come in the form of a $3,000 lifetime golf membership to the same golf course my dad belongs to. Hey as long as he's working the overtime and they're letting him pay in installments I told him go for it. The situation of you and your brother is frustrating I'm sure. While I'm sure you feel for your brother, you can't quit enjoying your life just because his isn't on the comfort level yours is on. If that were the case, nobody would be able to enjoy what they've earned. Maybe you can suggest that you'll start planning for a big trip say in a year or two that way he can have plenty of time to save and he and his children can all look forward to planning for the trip together. If your covering the place to stay that sounds fair enough. Or is he looking for an outright handout?

RAMWDWFAN
03-26-2002, 01:46 PM
Wheeler, I know what you are going through. My DH has been to WDW once (in 1998) and has no plans to go again. He says he will not set foot in Florida again. Now this is just fine with me because I don't have to worry about him ruining my vacation with his sour looks. He also complains about my fascination with Disney, but I tell him we all have to have a hobby.

You only go aroung once in life and you have a right to be happy. With DVC I can afford to go to WDW at least two times per year, and once my DS is in college, I plan on going more often.

SamSam
03-26-2002, 01:56 PM
Wheeler, I feel for you and I do understand what you're talking about. Although I know our family's are happy we've done well in life, there is also a certain amount of jealousy.
Since our kids are now grown, we take quite a few little 3 and 4 day trips (some to WDW, some other places) and we simply don't feel we need to tell everyone. We feel that we've worked very hard to get to where we're at and that we've made some choices that have made our lifestyle possible. It also is a priority to us to take trips and we have no problem cutting back in other areas to accomplish them
Try not to let other people dampen your enjoyment.

Lyndarella
03-26-2002, 02:27 PM
My husband and kids only enjoy WDW marginally, where I am enthralled by every thing I see there. We had an opportunity to buy a timeshare near WDW for a very low price, which DH wanted to do, and I wanted to do DVC. As a compromise, we bought both! I plan trips, which DH won't even discuss until a few days before we leave. When we are in FL, I let the family members set the pace (which means much time that is NOT at WDW), because the beauty of timeshare is that I know we will be back often. It's probably more $ than we should be spending, but so is the new boat he is making payments on! He drives an expensive vehicle and mine is worth about $50, but he makes way more $ than I do, and encouraged me to stay home when the kids were little, so I say we are about even. The bottom line is that we have different interests can agree to disagree. Life is too short to stress over it!

wheeler
03-26-2002, 02:28 PM
Oh boy do I know those "looks" you're referring to! Last year we stayed at AKL right when it 1st opened and within minutes of arriving, me and the 2 kids were on the balcony in awe of all the animals and beautiful scenery, and they kept saying, "Dad! Dad! Come here! Hurry up!" and after about the 4th time, I turned around and went inside to see what the heck was so important that he wanted to miss the look on his kids' faces, and....are you ready for this? HE - WAS - LYING - ON - THE - BED - WITH - THE - REMOTE - IN - HIS - HAND - WATCHING - TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was really furious. I wasn't even slightly amused. We had a little "talk" after that in which I told him that this was our FAMILY VACATION and that he could watch TV anytime at home. Scary that I had to make that point, I think! Anyway, he's not a "people-watcher" or a "detail-noticer" at all, which are two huge parts of enjoying WDW, so I realize it's just not his taste. He doesn't like crowds, walking, heat, fast-food, and especially.....getting up early. I've resigned myself to the fact that he's just not going to go with us and I can't let it get to me. Oh well. There ARE people who don't care for the place I suppose......I just never thought I'd be married to one!
and HeatherPage: My brother is pretty much looking for a complete hand-out. I cannot (will not either) buy airfare for 4 people. He has a decent job....he just lives paycheck to paycheck and my parents don't even charge him for rent or food! When we were teenagers (he's 4 years older than me - so I think that's another sore spot) he used to siphon gas out of my car, steal money from me etc. He just has this distorted sense of "entitlement" I guess. He just has no self control, and never did. I do feel bad for his kids, though. I resent that he makes me feel guilty because I can go places. It's not like I'm rich, I just "plan" for things, which is obviuosly a foreign subject to some people. I scrimped for five years and lived in a 3-room dive with DH & 2 babies and NO bathtub in order to be able to buy a house. I PLANNED for it. Sorry, I'm getting "preachy" and venting!!!!! Again I say....Oh well!

vacationman
03-26-2002, 02:28 PM
Aside from all of the first-rate information, one of the great benefits of this board is finding out that I am not alone in many of my experiences regarding DVC.

First, I love WDW and, up until the past year, my wife did not share that feeling with me. What turned her around was the pleasant trips we have made to WDW since becomming DVC members. Just the fact that we don't have to "do it all" each trip makes for a far better experience. Every trip is a new experience for my kids since as they grow they "discover" new things at WDW. Also adding to her change in opinion has been the great accomodations - you can't beat the space and kitchen facilities a DVC room (of whatever size) gives you.

Second, no one outside my immediate family can understand DVC or our going to WDW so often. The only way we would ever get any family members to go with us would be to pay ALL of their costs. Even my MIL gets miffed when we do not offer to pay for everything for my BIL and his family since we "have so much more". She forgets that, maybe, just maybe, I have worked hard to get where I am and, unlike my BIL, I did not have a free ride through college. While I am the first to recognize that I have been very blessed in life, I don't believe in rewarding underachievement (but that's a whole different story - don't get me started).

I always regretted not being part of one of those families that got together each year or so at WDW. I am now making sure that my kids will never have the same regret.

Lyndarella
03-26-2002, 02:53 PM
If anything can make a reluctant traveler more enthusiastic, it's the accommodations at DVC. Being able to stretch out in a "home" during the "down" time on vacation helps eliminate much of the stress that comes with family vacations.

chris1gill
03-26-2002, 03:31 PM
Hmm, well yes & no LOL... My Husband constantly complains about the money spent for DVC... I offer to sell it (he knows I would just to make my point) & he's the first one to say DON'T DO THAT... of course he won't let me do it, he benefits from it & he actually LIKES IT!!! He just likes to complain about it is all... We go for one long extended vacation per year, as the cost of airfare & car rentals do get expensive, so I think we've sort of found our rhythm... Does your DH not enjoy sitting around the resort? Which resort did you buy into? Can he enjoy biking or boating? or golfing? horseback riding? He must have something of a hobby that he can enjoy while at Disney... As you probably know, Disney is so much more than the parks! I would try to find something at WDW that he likes & expand on it....

Now, as for relatives, I have a SIL that very often comments on our trips... she'd like her DS to go with us, which we want too, but he can't take two weeks off from school & I refuse to go during school vacation time, at least for another year! They too would like a complete handout for their DS, but this time around I can't pay 100% of the costs like I did for their DD... She often asks how we do it financially... I just say we have different priorities... I've offered her suggestions about how she could save money if she wanted & I always get the response "don't have time for that"... Well, she's got 4 kids & all 4 are in school, how is it she doesn't have time? Too busy golfing I guess!!! So if she doesn't have time, I guess they'll be waiting a long time to go!!!

ErinC
03-26-2002, 03:55 PM
I can relate a little with your dilema. My husband only agreed to buy DVC because he wanted a motorcycle. I told him he could have it if I got to purchase into DVC, he agreed. He made a comment the other night that he is not interested in going to Disney every year. I, of course am interested in going multiple times a year. I hope that our first trip (DVC)in May will somewhat change his attitude. He enjoys in when he is there, and I'm going to try to make this trip at a leisurely pace so that he really enjoys it. I course he has said "we are not going every year" before and I just keep planning trips and he keeps going. We've been every year since 1998 together and even slipped in a trip to Disneyland last December. So I hope he's just blabbing.

Our friends and family always make comments about how many trips we take to WDW. In fact, I won't even put my DVC plate on my car because I just don't want to hear it from them. Of course they would all be willing to go as soon as we have the room to house everybody! I am looking forward to taking my parents, as they have never been for more than a day trip, and haven't been since probably the late 80's. Anyway, for the most part DH and I have decided that trips with kids, at WDW and other places are something that is very important, and we plan to vacation at least a couple of times a year with our kids while they are little. Just ignore your relatives. It's taken me awhile to realize I'm an adult and I can do what I want whether or not they are happy!!

dianeschlicht
03-26-2002, 04:27 PM
No, DH and I both love WDW! Our problem revolves around people inviting themselves along when we want it to just be our family. This year we are doing the easy Christmas gift thing. We are giving airline tickets and admissions to the parks to our adult children and the SOs for Christmas.

pharmlivin
03-26-2002, 05:45 PM
When we purchased DH was not interested. "If that's what you want to do" was his response. Well, we took a 5 day trip to Vero (home is VWL) in a 1 bedroom. He's hooked. I initially planned on every other year banking points but he now insists on returning to Vero every year and would perfer a studio so we could stay longer!!! I can do that. He too, is not a park person...just likes to relax...alot. So I have no plans to drag him around the parks. Maybe one park for one day during our stays a Disney World. Our kids are in college so our trip to Vero was very romantic (just us). We're going to VWL at Christmas time. Now I just have to deal with the 7 month window at Vero...but we're flexible. As far as family...I never told a soul about DVC. We just plan and go. They always preach about how bad timeshares are blah blah blah. Whatever. We're having a ball and looking forward to great getaways until we're 88 yeas old!

SnowWitch
03-26-2002, 05:51 PM
My DH was actually the one to suggest purchasing into the DVC but he's by far the least thrilled with multiple trips to Disney every year. BUT I don't mind going without him and neither do the kids. He loves going in December but we couldn't drag him there in the summer monthes so we don't try. Does this cause tension? NO, he loves hunting which I hate with a passion but thats his thing and Disney is mine.

The subject of difficult family. I can't complain about moochers because I don't have any. My family and close friends know that DVC was a pretty costly investment and don't mind paying a nominal charge to go.

I do however have family that doesn't understand my addiction to the mouse. Mainly my father, he gripes every time we mention another vacation. I proudly have my DVC licence plate on my car but he has no clue what it means . He still doesn't know we bought in. I would NEVER hear the bloody end of it, anyway, he's not paying for it but he wouldn't understand that. He's a father and his opinion should always be heard and followed. HA!! What he doesn't know won't hurt him.

Ignore and enjoy!!!

perdidobay
03-26-2002, 06:02 PM
wheeler.
I know where you are coming from, but lucky for me DH fell in love with DVC after our first trip home ( I talked him into buying) Now he constantly brings up getting more points. As far as family, I have some family members who won't save and live beyond their means then get jealous when DH and I go places or buy things after years of saving and doing without. Only my parents know about our buying DVC, not even our best freinds know, Only a few people in my family know we bought a condo on the beach last year for the same reason.
MJ

DVCajun
03-26-2002, 07:13 PM
My situation is actually similar to ErinC's-- DH wanted a dirtbike, I wanted DVC, we both got what we wanted. He enjoys riding his bike almost every weekend (during good weather), and understands that Disney is more of a hobby than a vacation destination for me. He still considers himself to be doing me a favor by going to WDW twice a year (or more), but he undoubtedly enjoys himself too. He gets to enjoy his hobby any time he wants, but I am forced to merely dream about mine for 90% of the year. Therefore, unless we move to Florida, I'm going to require a couple of weeks a year at my sanctuary. End of story. He seems to understand, most of the time.

But trust me, when the going gets rough and he wants to play dirty, the first thing that comes up is whether or not we'll go to Disney this year or not. It burns me up that he has that convenient weapon-- it's just so obvious how much it means to me. C'est la vie.

Oh, almost forgot the relatives thing. It's not just relatives-- friends can also get a little jealous. I actually don't like telling people that we're going *again*.... I have gotten the gamut of responses, from the sarcastic "Didn't you just get back?" to "Do you ever go anywhere else?" Plus, I feel like everyone has a misconception of our financial situation because we go so often. After all, everyone knows how expensive Disney World is-- add that to how often we go and you come up with "rich and frivolous." Not the case, as you all know. Then I feel awkward talking about money woes or stresses, because we just got back from another vacation at Disney World....

waaah, huh? But it's worth it. I guess there's a little cloud behind every silver lining. :)

NCRedding
03-26-2002, 07:30 PM
Wheeler and RAMWDWFAN: Our husbands must be related. My husband (I will not call himDH after the day we've had) would be perfectly content to stay on the bed watching the TV. One reason I bought into DVC was so that we could stay in accomodations with 2 TVs so DD and I could sometime see what we wanted to--like the promotional videos, etc. I also get the "didn't you just go" all the time. It's one of those thing you either "get it" or you don't. I feel blessed that I "get it" and I'm passing it onto my DD.

MdmMim
03-26-2002, 07:50 PM
The relatives that I have (who I know would mooch) do not know about my DVC points--and I have NO intention of telling them! I'll meet up with them at WDW for a few days, but I pay cash to stay at a hotel. After they go, I head over to the BWV and settle in. I've been burned too may times in the past by rude, assuming people (yeah, relatives.) :(

As for DH, he refers to DVC as MY DVC. :D He made a big mistake--he told me that he doesn't care how many times I go to WDW--as long as he doesn't have to go! That's when I became serious about DVC and bought in. I'll spend almost month at WDW in the winter--he visits me for a week. :D He understands my need to visit the Mouse! :earsgirl:

DVCajun
03-26-2002, 08:27 PM
No kidding, MdmMim-- a month!? How awesome! How many points do you have and where do you usually stay?

DeeP
03-26-2002, 09:13 PM
Mainly my father, he gripes every time we mention another vacation. I proudly have my DVC licence plate on my car but he has no clue what it means . He still doesn't know we bought in. I would NEVER hear the bloody end of it, anyway, he's not paying for it but he wouldn't understand that. He's a father and his opinion should always be heard and followed. HA!! What he doesn't know won't hurt him

Snowitch,
I am in the same boat, my father constantly complains about the amout of my money/time I spend at WDW, yet he always is ready to join us on our WDW vacations, at my expense! Of course he has no idea that I own a DWC membership! I don't even want to go there!!!
I am lucky and do not get grief regarding my DVC membership from a spouse (I am single) and my friends and co-workers have long ago accepted my "Disney addiction" and do not even question it.
My father though, seems to still feel as though he needs to voice his opinion on how and where I spend my money.
I also get a certain amout of grief from my early adult aged children when they feel as though I am spending too much on my interests (WDW/DVC) and not enough on them! I just smile and make the next call to Member Services!
Ahhhh......life is good when we have WDW/DVC to go to and can block out the rest of our live's annoying interferences, who are trying to tell you how to live your life and spend your money!!!! :D

Granny
03-26-2002, 10:32 PM
wheeler....you've obviously touched a nerve for many people. At least you're in great company!

As I indicated on the other post, we don't get a lot of jealousy or any reaction at all from most people. Fine with us, since we didn't buy to impress anyone.

Unlike many posters, it was I (the hubby) who pushed for DVC. We had a couple of great trips to WDW with the kids and in our "off years" (non-WDW trips), we had good vacations but not great. Last year, I asked the kids where they would go if they could go anywhere.....WDW of course! And Wilderness Lodge was a must!

So now my DW is on board. She is not a mouse lover, but enjoys the parks and pools. And we even talked about staying in a studio next year to save points for a second trip next year. Slowly but surely DVC is drawing her in...and we haven't made a DVC trip yet!

Best wishes to all. In-law problems are probably the worst, especially if the spouse won't acknowledge the problems.

Sorry to ramble!

wheeler....your DH isn't the guy whose head you weighed, is it?

Candace
03-26-2002, 11:11 PM
Wheeler - I think our husbands must be twins separated at birth! The comment about him lying on the bed with the remote is EXACTLY what my husband does at WDW on vacation. Our boys and I have been about 20 times since 1989, and he has been twice. I bought DVC in 1994, and I didn't even tell him about it until 1999. He really sees vacations as frivolous - and WDW as super expensive, but he doesn't mind my going, thank goodness - because I would just go anyway. LOL! I will say, however, that the DVC accomodations really did impress him the two times he has been. He stayed in a 2BR at OKW and a 1BR at WLV, and I have booked a GV at OKW for Christmas week of this year. I expect that will blow him away - but I will never expect him to go near a park. Each to his own, but I am sure am grateful for my DVC!

Terry S
03-26-2002, 11:23 PM
I guess I am lucky a far as hubby goes, he loves WDW and the effect it has on our family just as much as I do, so that is not a problem. I am a new owner so we will have to see about the other part. I already had a neighbor tell me "I invited you to my cabin up north so are you going to invite me to your place?" As I said I am new so maybe I am being a bit selfish, but why would I want to spend my extra points to book a room for someone else. It didn't cost her a thing for my family to sleep on the floor of the cabin she invited us to and it didn't even compare one bit to WDW.

Lesley
03-27-2002, 12:02 AM
I'm a lucky one with my dh too....he started the whole thing by planning our honeymoon to WDW (not where I wanted to go...but I wasn't asked...he has apologized...many times).

I'm the planner in the family...so his love of WDW and my love of planning things like vacations just worked out well! DVC was my idea for the most part, but he wasn't hard to convince.

As far as other family.....I've offered points to a couple of relatives but they don't seem that interested (ha, good, more for us!). My parents are visiting with us this december...and we've already let my dh's brother and sister know that they are invited to join us in Sept. 2004. I'm guessing bil won't make it, though I'm quite sure he'll let us know last minute that he's not....and I don't think it would be any different if we were paying for everything. There's just no way we can afford to pay for anything but the room for anyone else...and if we could I'd be bringing the kids' friends!

TheWho
03-27-2002, 07:26 AM
It sound's like the majority of the posts cite the husband as being the one that is NOT the Disney nut. In my case, I'm the husband and I'm the one that is fascinated with anything that's Disney (WDW, Walt's life, DVC, etc) I guess it's a good thing that I didn't marry one of the ladies on this board. Otherwise, We'd probably would have brought thousands of DVC points and also named our kids Old Key West and Boardwalk. ;)

TandyR
03-27-2002, 08:10 AM
I knew my parents would be all upset about DVC if they knew about it and knew how much we paid to buy in etc. etc., but my MIL is a Disney addict on a limited budget, so when we were figuring out the number of points we want/needed we added in enough so we could get a studio for my MIL for a few days when we go down. Our first trip is in 16 days and I am dieing to find out her reaction to the VWL studio after all these years of staying at the All-Stars Resorts. :)
So I guess I am saying I have friends and family who I don't even bother talking to them about DVC and Disney, but I also have plenty of friends and family who I can talk about it forever. :)
BTW, I really wanted to buy DVC, but I am a very cheap Yankee....and I was trying to get over the money we had to put out up front, but then my DH broke it down figuring out how much each trip would be costing by doing DVC so he convinced me. :-)

DVCinderella
03-27-2002, 08:45 AM
I can relate! I have always loved all things Disney. DH had never been to WDW before I took him in ‘94. He loved it! We have vacationed there every year since.

In Dec ‘00, I went to WDW with a single girlfriend who had booked a timeshare off-property, and was looking for a travel companion (Note – I will never stay off-property again!). One day, she went to Discovery Cove to swim with the dolphins, and since I knew I could never get in the water with them, I opted to spend my day at WDW. I went to the BW and sat through the DVC presentation. Afterwards, I was completely convinced to buy into the program. I came back to NJ with all my DVC brochures and meeting notes. DH was not as easily convinced.

A few months later, DH and I visited WDW, and I knew I had to get him to sit through the DVC presentation. I knew the visual aids would help (the touch-screen computer), and of course, seeing the model rooms would be the icing on the cake…and it was! So we bought into DVC, and so far we are very happy.

I’ve gotten the occasional “You’re going there again?!” remark from family and friends, but I think DH gets it a lot more than I do. Most people think it’s all me…that I’m twisting DH’s arm to go to WDW, when actually he usually suggests the next trip to WDW! Whenever someone says to him, “You’re going there again?” he rolls his eyes as if to say, “Yup…she’s forcing me to go again.” I could just scream! If only these people could be a fly on the wall when DH is eagerly looking through “Vacation Magic” and "The Disney Magazine”. But I think after 10+ trips to WDW, people are finally starting to catch on to him. If he truly wasn’t enjoying it, why does he keep going back?

I suppose I can live with the snide remarks. They don’t know what they’re missing. My Disney obsession was even joked about at our wedding. Our Best Man ended his speech by turning to DH and saying, “If your first two kids are named Happy and Sleepy, you know you have 5 more coming.”

maepartner
03-27-2002, 08:59 AM
Im just getting the biggest charge out of these posts.....but I cant even get my hubby to wdw and we're only 3 hours away! ALthough he is 22 yrs older than me, I just know that he would LOVE it,,,but I cant get him to go.....maybe if I just keep going without him, he might change his tune! :) Counting down.....11 days !

But I do agree with alot of you that there is no point in dragging a tried and true disney hater to WDW.....it wouldnt be worth the hassle of "forcing" them to have a good time. Just go alone, with the kids, with a friend, and have a great time! Just remember to call your spouse every nite and give them the ole "wish you were here" routine,,,,,:) Mae :pinkbounc

Terry S
03-27-2002, 09:12 AM
maepartner... just had to tell a story after your comment regarding if you could get your husband to go. Last October we convinced my parents to go to WDW with us. My mother didn't take any convincing she had never been to WDW but loves all things Disney and couldn't wait to see her Grandkids there. My Step-Father was another story. The old "what are we going to do in WDW for 10 days?" line. I had to hear his grumpy tune for months prior to it. I was starting to get worried that he might not have a good time and I would feel bad if he didn't have a good time. Needless to say he really enjoyed himself and when I was on the phone with him a few months back I jokingly said "we are going to WDW in April, should I book 2 rooms or one?" he just laughed and ended our conversation and hung up. He called me back about an hour later and asked me what the dates were that we are going and I now have 2 rooms booked.

Laurabearz
03-27-2002, 09:17 AM
I grew up at Disneyland.... My husband wasnt crazy about getting into DVC until we stayed at OKW this past January. On the second day he said.... so you want to buy into this place huh? Okay with me! :D
Now.... just 3 months later we are working our our second add-on (looking for a wonderful BWV contract!)
My husbnad still isnt convinced this is a good thing... but our upcoming trip in May will swing him over..... (as I have mentioned before) we got a great deal on our OKW resale with lots of banked points. We are splurging on a 9 day trip split between BC Con and Poly Con. (600 points YIKES) We are only heading to the parks for 2 or 3 days. THis is a resort vacation. :D We plan on hanging out at the pools with our girls.... soaking up the FLA sun!!! THe bonus is we get to do that with Mickey!!!

We do have some freinds who are jelous (sp) And some people have said.... YOur going again so soon??? We just say we are DVC'rs and love it!

maepartner
03-27-2002, 09:25 AM
Great story Terry,,,I wanted my DH,,,,,,(and the D doesnt stand for Dear about now, if you get my drift) to read your post.....arrrgghhhh he is so stubborn! ITs hopeless, truly hopeless....but ya know,,,,,Im going anyway! The more I go, the more he will break down.....just a matter of time :)

Laura great that youre able to add on, and nice that you dont have to have fisticuffs to get DH to go LOL

Actually I d much prefer to go with my DS and DD's :) They love it! (hubby is not their father) And I dont have to pull teeth with them......cest le vie!

Mae

wheeler
03-27-2002, 09:26 AM
So I'm *NOT* the only one?????!!!!!!! Thank GOD! And to be fair, yes, he *DOES* enjoy himself once he's there and we're into it for a few days. I've learned I CANNOT do the "commando" thing with him. He always stages a revolt around the 5th day.......even on our first trip in '97 he did that. He either "pretends" he doesn't feel good and says he wants to stay in bed and to meet him back at the room around one o'clock so he can sleep-in, OR, (and I hate when he takes this option) he begrudgingly plods along, complaining, whining, eye-rolling, etc., until finally, I lose it completely and we go back to the room for food and rest....and a little time apart... I'll head off to EPCOT for an hour or two by myself and come back feeling refreshed, like nothing ever happened, and he's been relaxing by the pool with the kid, so he's fine too. Last year I used a different strategy that was a huge success, so I'm kinda surprised he's not coming with us in April. What I did was, make a loose itinerary. I plan nothing for the first and last days, which left 8 days to plan. Of the eight, 3 days were all mine, 3 days were "Daddy's Choice", and 2 days were 1/2 and 1/2, so Mom got to pick what we did before noon, and Dad got to pick what we did after noon. And it's flexible, I mean we don't stick to that plan like glue. The funny thing is, my two DD's have virtually the exact same taste and interests as me, so I had to have a little "chat" with them ahead of time warning them to not roll their eyes/ complain/ whine, etc. at what Daddy wants to do, because they think Dad likes "boring stuff" (I have to agree). He literally LOVES to just drive around Florida and "sight see" from the car! UGH! I just bring plenty of magazines for me and paper and crayons for the kids, and instruct them *NOT* to ask, "Where are we going?" every 10 minutes (because the answer is "nowhere", which is completely ridiculous to *US*, but not to him). I think the other (and maybe BIGGER) problem, and most likely the cause of his sour moods at WDW is that he's self-employed, so I think he has this running total of how much money he's "losing" instead of just having fun, which is too bad, but there' nothing I can do to change that. It's a small business with only one other employee, so then he's also dreading the HUGE backlog of work that's piling up while he's gone, and it makes him miserable the closer we get to the end of our stay, and he "announces" how bad things will be. The worst is when he calls there (which I tell him not to do) and then it ruins his whole day.

to Granny: No, this is *NOT* the guy whose head I weighed.....that guy was kinda a loser, but he did have a better sense of humor. My DH would never submit to such shenanigans and would be immediately suspicious. If I had a nickel for every time DH asked me (in a serious tone no less) "What is WRONG with you?" regarding some twisted thing I just did I could have bought DVC ten years ago!!!!!!

Granny
03-27-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by TheWho
It sound's like the majority of the posts cite the husband as being the one that is NOT the Disney nut. In my case, I'm the husband and I'm the one that is fascinated with anything that's Disney (WDW, Walt's life, DVC, etc) I guess it's a good thing that I didn't marry one of the ladies on this board. Otherwise, We'd probably would have brought thousands of DVC points and also named our kids Old Key West and Boardwalk. ;) LOL, TheWho!!!:D :D

I've had that same thought many times. If my DW was as much into Disney as I am, we'd probably have to move to Florida to get the AP discount and be able to afford our10 trips a year to WDW!!!;)

On the other hand, if there's a single lady out there with about 1,000 or so points......:p

On the off chance that DW ever reads this....that last line was a joke, dear!!

maepartner
03-27-2002, 10:09 AM
OMG this thread is too funny.....so glad to see Im not alone here LOL :) more more more! Mae

jmminarik
03-27-2002, 10:46 AM
wow...this is a hot topic. :)

I'd guess I'd have to consider myself in the lucky catagory compared to many of ya'll that posted. Wifey-poo is as big a Disney fan as I am, so there's never any complaint about going. :)

As to the family and friends, maybe its because we live in the middle atlantic area, but so far we've not had any negative comments from anyone who knows. Of course, our Disney fanatic friends are all jealous, but not resentful in the least.

As to the family, my sister gave us some money for the trip we all took last Christmas. She's cool that way and realizes even though we didn't fork over money directly tied to the reservations, ownership does cost money. She's also smart enough to know we'll probably be sending her back in the future. :)

The rest of my family that we are closest with go to WDW every year or so, therefore there's no resentment or wonder at our going from them. In fact, my cousin-in-law moved his family to Orlando and took a job with Disney. Why others in the family haven't joined DVC is a mystery to me, given how often they go.

Then there are our closest friends we sent to BWV in a 1br for their honeymoon....they insisted it was too much and 'forced' us to keep the 32" TV we were storing for them while the construction on their home was being completed.

-Joe (obviously lucky....or just has good taste in friends and family)

maepartner
03-27-2002, 10:49 AM
What an awesome gift! Joe, can you be my new best friend? :jester: Mae :)

wheeler
03-27-2002, 11:45 AM
I also get that " You're going AGAIN???!!!" comment all the time, (like it's the Hoover Dam or something, and you'd never need to go there more than once!) so I've decided I'm just not gonna mention it anymore. Worse still, I think, is the people that assume you're millionaires. I feel like saying, "No, I'm just intelligent", but if they don't "get" WDW, then they certainly won't "get" DVC, or that comment either! Isn't it sad how people leap to conclusions? The "millionaire" thing can really work against you, I've noticed. You really have to pick and choose what you say to certain people. You can't go off complaining like everyone else about rising property taxes, car payments, health insurance, etc., because you can just SEE the looks they give you like, "Yeah right. As if *YOU*, little Miss 'I go to Disney twice a year' needs to worry about THAT" . When I've NEVER spoken like that or bragged about it. I also tell my DD's not to brag about it, because once last year, my younger one came home from school, and told me that everyone in the class had to describe the best vacation they ever had, and that "this one girl DROVE to Connecticut to visit relatives and stayed with them in their house and played with her cousins. They didn't even GO anywhere! That's not even a vacation!" So we had the big "sit-down", and I explained what "perspective" means, that you're perspective that something is "great", or the "best", only stays that way until you have the opportunity and good fortune to experience something "better", and that it is extremely unkind to try to convince somebody that "driving to Connecticut is no vacation" if THEY think it is. She insisted that she never said anything to the girl, she just "thought" it. (I hope) I am constantly hammering them to count their blessings, and that they have way more to THANK God for, than ASK him for......... and all that can change on a dime. A little "deep" for the elementary set, I suppose, but a lesson many people NEVER learn........

Simba's Mom
03-27-2002, 12:40 PM
Thank goodness I'm not alone here. DH didn't even go on the sales tour, and used his usual phrase "Whatever you want to do is fine with me, dear". But then the wheels started turning in his head and he bought a 1996 Corvette, not just a motorcycle or a dirt bike. So now the wheels are turning in my head. I definitely think I need to go back to him and say that since the Corvette was so much more money, I NEED MORE POINTS!

DVCajun
03-27-2002, 01:30 PM
Goodness, Simba's mom-- are you guys ever planning on retiring? ;)

Shadeaux
03-27-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Granny
I've had that same thought many times. If my DW was as much into Disney as I am, we'd probably have to move to Florida to get the AP discount and be able to afford our10 trips a year to WDW!!!;)

I didn't realize how fortunate I was that my husband is as much into Disney as I am. We've talked about retiring in Florida. I knew dh was serious but didn't know how serious until he said maybe we should start looking into buying a retirement home NOW instead of in 10 or 15 years when he's ready to retire. I'm not ready to take that step just yet. For now I'm happy with my 12 or so days a year at OKW.

hunnypotmama
03-27-2002, 04:00 PM
I may be unusual, I am a late bloomer Disney wise...I was 37 before I actually started to "get it." I had had 3 prior trips to DW that weren't enjoyable, and finally one last year with just me and 5 year old DD, and we had a blast!! Ate at Cindy's table our first morning there, and it was just magical beyond my wildest imagination...the fact that we got in at all was a miracle, it was a spur of the moment trip, and we were there on July 4th! So we had such a good time, DD and I "dragged" Dh and baby son along on an October trip, and then Feb, went all the way to DL!! I think the whole family has fallen victim to Disney-itis, but our friends all think we're insane...I refused to even tell any of my friends that we went to DL this last time, I just said it was a conference for my DH's work (not a lie, just not the complete truth!)

NOW, if I can just convince DH to buy into DVC (of course, we won't be telling anyone that, either!)

hunnypotmama

maepartner
03-28-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by wheeler
I also get that " You're going AGAIN???!!!" comment all the time, (like it's the Hoover Dam or something, and you'd never need to go there more than once!)

LMAO Wheeler, too funny :) :jester:

JADEMM
03-28-2002, 07:42 AM
Its the opposite for us. We are now "EXPECTED" to go because we have a "TIME SHARE DOWN THERE". Before that it was your going again?

wheeler
03-28-2002, 10:39 AM
Well, my parents went once, around 1995, and stayed at the Contemporary for about 4 days with a convention for my Dad's job. They were not too impressed. They thought it was so "fake" and my mother even commented that she thought it was "creepy" that when she got up at 5am to go for a walk, there were people workers outside ripping up the flower beds and planting fresh flowers. I think she thought everything was too "perfect" and contrived (and that's a bad thing?!) for her tastes. My Dad is English and very "reserved" and was made a little uncomfortable a few times by a few well-intentioned but over-enthusiastic CM's that were trying to "force him" (as he put it!) to have a good time! That's my Dad, alright! Soooooooooo, I am greatly looking forward to my April 29-May 6 trip because THEY ARE COMING WITH US!!!!!!! They were very skeptical about this "Disney timeshare thing" and can't understand my enthusiasm for the place. When DH realized he couldn't make it, I thought to myself, hey, I've got a 2-bedroom at WLV for 9 days, why not ask them to come along?!!! They actually had to "think about it" (can you even imagine having to 'think about' that?????) then said, "Well, I guess so". I really think this trip will be able to change their opinion of the place, PLUS, they'll be spending time at WDW w/their grandchildren, which in and of itself would make for a better experience than an adult convention at the Contemporary, I would think!

SleepyatDVC
03-28-2002, 11:55 AM
Too funny Simba's Mom!!! DVC was "my purchase/gift" although, dh enjoys it very much too! :rolleyes: Dh got high end speakers ($$) and a 17" SGI flat screen monitor for "his gift." This was all last year when I had the baby. He still thinks that I came out ahead.

Well, he's been in a shopping mode recently and was thinking about buying some add-on points at BCV for me. Unfortunately, BCV is still not selling to NYS, so he didn't yet. Then I find out that he was eyeing some 17" wheels and tires for his car! :eek: So, after much discussion of whether he really needed expensive wheels & tires for a car that was only driven 4000 miles in 2 years, he decided NOT to get them. Too be fair, I told him to forget about the add-on for now since we have plenty of points and don't really NEED it... yet! :smooth: Dh said get it if I want to - the one (DVC) had nothing to do with the other (wheels) - so he says. ;) Of course my heart says "YES!" But my brain says "maybe later - too much money right now."

Now both of us is itching to buy something but have resigned ourselves to making some smaller purchases. :rolleyes: :o :D

mikesmom
03-28-2002, 12:48 PM
you made me remember my first trip to WDW. This was like 25 years ago and I didn't like it. I was in my early 20's, was newly divorced, therefore still in pain and very distracted. Also working about 70 hours a week. I had the same impression as your mom, that everything was too perfect and that gave me the creeps. I was also traveling along with some people that were business acquaintances. I'm sure they though bringing me along would cheer me up, but it was just too soon. The problem was with me, not Disney.

Fast forward about 15 years, my 2nd trip was with my 7 year old DS - everything was pure delight! We've made numerous trips since.

Sometimes it's the baggage people are carrying that changes the trip.

wheeler
03-28-2002, 01:44 PM
very good point.....

... time for some new luggage!

crisi
03-28-2002, 02:12 PM
We think my MIL will be like that - thinking the whole thing is wasteful and artificial. I want to bring her down - maybe when the kids are a little older - I think she'd enjoy a short trip - in a protected fashion where she isn't overloaded - a couple days of grazing through Epcot and a trip over to AK.

Then again, they've gone to Rome three times in five years. I've been to Rome and don't have much desire to go back. Guess I don't "get it."

But there aren't any family problems (although we just bought it) and I don't think there will be. I "cleared" the idea through with my dad, he thought it was a "good value" considering the trips we are planning with our kids, and "since we can well afford it" gave it the green light. Not that his red light would have necessarily stopped it, but it would have caused me to take a harder look - I do value his judgement.

TrudyZ
03-28-2002, 03:18 PM
Wheeler:

I know how you feel. We bought into DVC last year after my husband said he could "probably stand to go one week a year". If it wasn't for our daughter having the time of her life, he would have never agree to take that "hit". He is really not bad once he is down there, but there are some peculiarities that I am left to deal with:

He is a very conservative midwestern. I have tried to convince him to spring for a 1 bedroom instaed of a studio. He says that since they both sleep four (we are a family of 3), what's the use of wasting all of that money (those points). Somehow, the comfort of the extra space and the romantic possiblities of the jacuzzi tub escape him....

Being from Minnesota (see above), forget ever going in the heat of summer. Or when it's crowded, or when it rains.....But, he wants it to be warm enough to swim--so I have a narrow operating window here.

Re: inlaws. We never told them we bought in. I can just hear the big sucking sound if they ever found out. We just unplug the answering machine and tell them it just must be those damn phone lines out here where we live. Luckily, both DH and I agree on this point. (But, it really kills me to spend $200 x 3 on plane tickets to go to the "great White North" in the middle of winter when the temp doesn't even crawl up to zero--and I hate the cold, when I know for the same $ for flights I could be on my way to OKW with my annual pass...the only snow I want to see is blizzard beach!)

Trudy

gmboy95
03-28-2002, 06:44 PM
My family thinks i am nuts...so i adopted this policy...I dont care what anyone thinks about anything unless it is my wife and my kids....unless any of them start paying my bills they can sit and spin for all i care....they can have fun taking cruise ships through alska with the other blue hairs for all I care....wow...I feel better!!:D

Johnnie Fedora
03-28-2002, 10:53 PM
I'm finding this thread to be very interesting.

Last year, we took my mom, dad and sister with us on a trip to WDW. We stayed at the Poly/YC concierge, so food would be available much of the day, so we didn't have to eat out so much. Well, to say the least, my father managed to have a wonderful time and a vacation of a lifetime........NOT!!:mad:

We were worried about taking him, as he is not very adventerous and has a way of becoming the little dark rain cloud (with the potential of becoming a hail storm). I think the parks were overwelming to him, and he just didn't get it. I don't even think he was capable of looking at it through the eyes of his grandchildren. We always went on fishing trips as vacations when I was growing up, and I think he has never learned to how to really travel. The last days of the trip, he stayed in the room.

Needless to say, this years plans only include my mom and sister. Sorry dad.......NOT. We will be staying in a 2BR at VWL. It is unfortunate that dad won't be going this year, as I think he would like the lodge's woodsy feel, but fool me twice....shame on me. I can tell my mom is excited about the trip as we saw the VWL models last year, and I know she will be blown away once we stay in one.

I want my mom and sister to go with us, as it is the only way they will ever vacation, mom's had it with the fishing trips. She likes to spend time and have fun with the grandkids. And just maybe....she needs a vacation from Dad :D :eek: :D

Maybe we'll have to add on again so we can get a 2BR for a whole week. ;) ;)

SnowWitch
03-29-2002, 06:56 AM
Johnnie I am in the same boat kinda. I would love for my mom to go she would have a blast but my dad refuses to hear about it. My mom is from the old school, "If dad doesn't go she doesn't either." I wish I could get her to go but she doesn't want to upset SCROOGE!

dianeschlicht
03-29-2002, 07:34 AM
TrudyZ,
Your post made me laugh! We are both from Minnesota, and at first we tried to use the studio is less philosophy, but it only took one trip in a 2 bedroom to change our minds!!!:D Now we could NEVER go back to a studio! Tried it once a couple years ago when it was just DH and I for a short 5 day trip. Nope!!! wont do it again!

As for the family... Inlaws don't get it, but my dad is supportive. He would like to go and would have a blast, but step mom wouldn't hear of it.

wheeler
03-29-2002, 08:26 AM
SnowWitch: When my Dad was hedging, my Mom said, "Well you know what? To hell with him, then! If he wants to mope around the house like a grumpy old man then he can do it by himself!" This is a recent, yet refreshing attitude change. Until about a year ago.....she always stood by him no matter what, now I think she's realizing life's too short. Good for her, I say!

Johnnie Fedora: I go through the same thing every trip w/DH as you did w/your Dad last time. He holes himself up in the hotel room and watches TV after 3 or 4 days. I just let him...it's not worth the battle. I just have to accept that his idea of "relaxing" is to "veg out" in a coma-like state, whereas I am incapable of this and do the "comando" thing from the second the plane lands to the second it takes off to go home (well, that's a "slight" exxageration).

gmboy95: you're the best! I really really have to try hard to hold my tongue (I make 5x more than DH and bought DVC all on my own with my own $$$).....but a few times, he just pushed me to the "point of no return" with his complaing about, "I don't see why we're going to Disney again! Why don't we go to California or Arizona, or Las Vegas or Alaska?" and I said, "Why don't *YOU* cough up more than $20 for gas in the rental car while on vacation, and *YOU* can then make some of these decisions." As you would imagine, this did not go over very well, and I apologized profusely as it was an evil thing to say, but he was acting like a spoiled teenager. By this point, I had paid completely for 4 trips to Disney and 3 trips to Las Vegas and never asked for a dime from him, so for him to start "whining" about where he wanted his next "free" vacation, was just enough to push me over the cliff. He does do a lot of things for me that don't "cost" anything, but he was just really "pushing it" on that particular day, and I had just bailed him out of some situation or another with a couple of hundred bucks, so his timing was not good! (I'm glad this isn't the Community Board or I'd be flamed to hell for sharing this story I'm sure!

yesdisneyfool
03-29-2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by vacationman
Just the fact that we don't have to "do it all" each trip makes for a far better experience. Every trip is a new experience for my kids since as they grow they "discover" new things at WDW. Also adding to her change in opinion has been the great accomodations - you can't beat the space and kitchen facilities a DVC room (of whatever size) gives you.

Second, no one outside my immediate family can understand DVC or our going to WDW so often. The only way we would ever get any family members to go with us would be to pay ALL of their costs... . I have worked hard to get where I am and...while I am the first to recognize that I have been very blessed in life, I don't believe in rewarding underachievement (but that's a whole different story - don't get me started).

I always regretted not being part of one of those families that got together each year or so at WDW. I am now making sure that my kids will never have the same regret.

Vacationman, you took the words right out of my mouth. Life is short, enjoy it with YOUR wife and kids. Make memories and share them together. We enjoy Disney and the feeling that it gives us when we are there. So we will do it as often as we can and those other family members are welcome to come and stay at a different resort.

Johnnie Fedora
03-29-2002, 01:29 PM
We did the illuminations cruise, and while the fireworks were going on, Dad was stareing at the deck of the boat, and the underneath side of the bridge.

:confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I just have to chalk some of it up to what I like to call GOPS (Goofy Old People Stuff (or substitute your own "S" word for stuff)

:eek: :eek:

friskylady
03-30-2002, 02:33 PM
Thanks so much for your great stories! Although, I have to say that I so empathize with the wives whose husbands don't know how to have fun. Mine is the same way. :(
He does not like anything to do with WDW, although I could have sworn he enjoyed a few moments during the two weekends he spent there with me and the two kids. But when I told him the other day that I would really like to buy a membership in DVC he looked at me like I had two heads :eek:
and said, "You're kidding!"
Then he said, "Wouldn't you rather buy a cabin in the Rocky Mountains?" which is another dream of mine. So, I point out that the two are hardly comparable in price! He didn't have a response to that, just looked unhappy. He said he would NEVER want to go to WDW again.

We are so incompatible in the Disney dept. that I have given up. No more WDW invitations from me! :smooth: I'm going to have to find some more Disney friends to travel with!

imgoingtodisney
03-30-2002, 02:49 PM
DH, MIL, DS and I all took the DVC when we were staying at the Wilderness Lodge 9 nights last Oct. We all got along great. In Nov DH and I bought into the DVC with the WL as our "home".
We were planning on having MIL along on some of our future trips. However, since we bought in there has been some family problems and if MIL doesnt want to see me - then we'll just have to go on our vacations without her. DH, DS and I are looking forward to our Nov cruise.

wheeler
03-30-2002, 03:08 PM
That's why I posted this in the first place.....it was making me so sad thinking I was the only person married to a "Disney Dud", but as you can clearly see, we're not! It still makes me sad knowing that the person I'm supposed to spend the rest of my life with couldn't care less about something I get so many hours of pleasure planning and having happy thoughts about. I mean, he doesn't even want to hear about any of it. I would not consider myself "obsessed" either. I work full-time +, and have 2 kids and a dog, and many other interests and hobbies and friends, but if I so much as mention something in passing about Disney, he doesn't even acknowledge I said anything, which I imagine is his "socially-retarded" way of saying, "who cares?" Makes me kinda mad too, since I was never the hugest Nascar fan in the world, yet I'll watch the races on TV and go to races with him because I know how much he loves them. That's life, I guess. At least we have the DIS!

infobahn
03-30-2002, 05:52 PM
Wheeler,

Have you told him how you feel?

As a guy, we don't think past our skulls. Time to dig in your heals and say something. Stop going to Nascar races, or next time you do, bring a book.

Not that I am advocating a passive-aggresive way of dealing with this. It might be time for a couples weekend with your church (or temple, or whatever) if that is available.

"Sounds like what we have here is a failure to communicate" (hard-boiled eggs are optional).

It took a trip to WDW (a belated honeymoon), for my Wife to understand. Now there has been a DCL cruise, and buying into DVC. I had the other side of the issue, a Wife who was not Disney Obsessed. Now I have a Disney interested, Wife, the rest is up to her.

Good luck.

Pumbaa_
03-30-2002, 06:13 PM
My DH and I took our first trip to Disney in September 1998. Boy, was I hooked! My DH likes Disney, has a great time while we are there, and is happy yo not have to plan a thing. :rolleyes:

He is also content to go every year or every other year. I want to go twice a year. He also HATES to fly and driving is not an option. When this was looking like it was going to become a problem, we had a talk. I told him how I felt about Disney and that I was going every year, sometimes more. (I visit my DP who spend the winters there and we meet at Disney for some family time :))

My DH was given two choices.
1. Suck it up and go with me
2. Or I was going by myself.

(Did I mention I married a wonderful man?)

We just signed the papers to buy 150 BCV points. He knows how important this is to me and has agreed to go once a year, and would consider every couple years a second trip. We have helped the flying problem with valium, (what a difference it made, he was much better able to handle the flight this time than before!)

I can still go more often (like to DisCon) but he is very excited about buying into the BCV. Loves the Epcot area and absolutely sees the value in buying in. He has actaully said (out loud!) that we should have done this years ago!

So Wheeler, don;t give up hope! If my DH can come around, there is hope! (And I do want to point out that I fully support his passion (fishing) to the extent I talked him into buying a 23' bought! (That was real hard :rolleyes:)

I am lucky that my DH and I (married 19 years) respect each others interests and while may never 100% love it as much, we will have fun and support each other.

lsutigger
03-30-2002, 07:58 PM
Wanted to add my story to the group. My DH and I bought into DVC 11/00 and have taken one trip with another planned. DH is not a huge Disney fan, but he does enjoy. What he really enjoys is playing golf, sooooo I make sure he has plenty of golf time while at WDW. They have great courses and he enjoys them. He has even taken lessons a couple of times, once as a B'day gift from me. I tour the parks and do things he doesn't enjoy as much and them later we do things together. In the 10 years that we have been married, I've learned to read his signals pretty good and know when to change the pace, if necessary. We both enjoyed having accomodations that we would otherwise probably not had the money for. I try to get him involved in the planning, but I end up doing most of it, which is okay. He is already saving $$ for his golf games in Oct and we've planned this trip for the Nat'l Car Rental Classic, a double bonus!!

As in all things, it is a compromise. There are still things we haven't yet experienced. We're booked at the new BCV and neither of us has ever been in that area of WDW. Keeping something "new" for each trip helps DH to be more excited about the trips.

I hope that all who travel to WDW, do so with open eyes and enjoy all the wonderful things there are to do!!

Simba's Mom
03-30-2002, 09:54 PM
Someone else married to a golfer. That's exactly what I do-let him go and play golf and I usually go to the theme parks by myself. What's funny is that he was talking about a trip to Louisianna to play golf tonight and he had far more excitement in his voice than when we discuss our upcoming trip to WDW. Do you get free admission to the Nat'l Car Rental Classic as a DVC member? If so, sounds like I may be able to talk him into another WDW trip!

Califgirl
03-31-2002, 06:21 PM
My husband is a golfer and he plays two to three times when we go to WDW. He likes to play EARLY in the morning (around 7am), so he catches a taxi to the course. I can then take my time in the morning and enjoy coffee and read on the balcony, take a long luxurious jacuzzi bath and maybe do some laundry and straighten up a bit. When he gets back we have lunch and wander over to the parks, or enjoy DD.

Dean
03-31-2002, 06:35 PM
There have been a number of threads along these lines over the last couple of years. We schedule our trip and then selectively invite family along. We only ask them to pay a proportion of the hard expenses and all of their direct expenses. Fortunately we can afford to do it this way. The ones that tend to mooch aren't the ones invited. If anyone acted like we owed it to them, they would be on the outside looking in. It is easy to get taken advantage of so I'd suggest being honest and straightforward with any guests/family up front, it'll save a lot of problems later on. You set the rules and if they wont to go, they should follow them.

lsutiggeratwk
04-01-2002, 08:18 AM
Simba's Mom, no he doesn't get free admission to Nat'l Car Rental classic because we're DVC members, but when we were there in Oct '01 he got the DVC golf pass (less expensive green fees at certain times, etc) and it is good until the end of Oct 02 so that is where the idea came from for this year. With the golf pass there is free admission to the tournament. I think the pass for the tournament is $50 for all four days. I will probably go a few times with him. The DVC golf pass was a good deal for him because he played last year and will play again this year and go to the Nat'l Car Rental Classic for the cost of the pass. The courses will let you ride along if you want. It is very relaxing (since you're only riding!) and the scenery is beautiful.
Enjoy

tarzanman
04-01-2002, 10:16 AM
I must admit that I was once "that guy". That guy being the person that didn't want to go to Disney. I had been to MK once when I was 5, EPCOT at 8 and I thought that that was enough for me. My fiance however informed me that we couldn't afford to go to Jamaica like I had wanted but that we could go to WDW. I gave in.

We went to WDW for 10 days on our honeymoon. On the 9th day we stopped to find out what DVC was all about. After hearing the whole schpeel, I was hooked. My new DW had to get me to calm down. We could barely afford our apartment at the time. We bought in for the minimum points allotment.

We returned home with our new DVC membership. My DW was planning our first trip. September of 2000, we were going to BWV and then to Vero for a couple of days. My MIL caught wind of it and guilt-tripped her way in.

Since that trip, my in-laws have had no problems being sold on the DVC thing. Mostly because of MIL and the fact that we took 3 teenage cousins to WDW in Dec and they loved it. We paid for the entire trip for the 3 kids. MIL usually helps a little bit when she goes. My DW family doesn't plan for much, lving paycheck to paycheck, scraping by all the time. The weird part is that they get it. My family that methodically plans for everything is the family that doesn't get it. My father looks at it as a expensive version of what he has. My parents have just a regular timeshare. They bug me about how much we are spending on vacations and how much we aren't saving and all that. I know that that is what parents do, worry about their kids, but I know what my finances are.

I must admit that looking at my finances as a 24 yr old I am doing much better than my father at my age so it might be hard for him. Maybe they will be better when they come to stay with us.

All of the people I work with now know of my Disney obsession and understand it or at least pretend that they do. They just assume that I am going every long weekend that we have.

Where do these non-Disney loving people come from anyway?