carelo
04-25-2008, 08:38 PM
It's on right now:yay:

GabbyMom
04-25-2008, 08:39 PM
never mind, it's on now!

cdotla
04-25-2008, 08:42 PM
BTW - has anyone been recording all these Travel Channel specials?

If so, and if you have any way to make a copy for me on disc, pls PM me. I would be happy to pay for it.

We don't get the Travel Channel in Canada.:(

tinkbutt
04-25-2008, 08:49 PM
I think they lied about the stroller rental 8-10$ per day???

did you guys see that the fast pass they got said NOT A VALID FASS PASS for rock'n roll??? lol

GBShorts
04-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Did anybody notice they didn't accurately explain the swap pass for parents with small children? They just said "it allows both parents to ride with a child so the child gets to ride twice!" instead of mentioning that it was intended for parents who have a child who is too small to ride. They did elude to it after the fact, but the original statements made it sound like any parents with a child could get a "twofer" pass. Correct me if I'm wrong on this one?

tinkbutt
04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
there seem to be a lot of little inaccurate tips on this show!!

cyberbox2
04-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Their not gonna get anything by this group of Dis experts! The best thing the Travel Channel could do for the general public is give out the Dis Boards website! This is real & (mostly) accurate knowledge.

WaltD4Me
04-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Watching on DVR....they just said "Some of the counter service meals are all you can eat, which is great, you can fill up and not be hungry the rest of the day and really save money." :rolleyes:

First, I can't think of a counter service that is all you can eat and second who wants to gourge themselves so they aren't hunry the rest of the day?

The family at Fort Wilderness keeps talking about how affordable it is, but they sure added alot of extras on. Adding on the waterpark option, renting a pontoon boat, ect...they make it seem like that is all included.

This show is really bad and they left out a bunch of things that actually can you save you money.

Stroller Boy
04-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Can't believe it...missed the show, AND forgot to DVR it...hate it when work gets in the way of my life!

tinkbutt
04-25-2008, 11:10 PM
it'll be on again at 12am

melcan
04-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Watching on DVR....they just said "Some of the counter service meals are all you can eat, which is great, you can fill up and not be hungry the rest of the day and really save money." :rolleyes:

First, I can't think of a counter service that is all you can eat and second who wants to gourge themselves so they aren't hunry the rest of the day?

I noticed that too. At first I thought I heard it wrong.

amyhughes
04-25-2008, 11:14 PM
12 AM EST? or CST?

Though it sounds like I will just get frustrated with inaccurate information. All you can eat CS? Really?

WaltD4Me
04-25-2008, 11:20 PM
I noticed that too. At first I thought I heard it wrong.

I played it back 3 times, he definitely said "some counter service meals are all you can eat."

I thought the show was actually almost deceiving.

LOVED the little graphic that came up with the old cost of stroller rentals. Since it's a graphic, I really think they should remove it. I bet they wouldn't put a replacement in with the real price though.

hayanyujah847
04-25-2008, 11:22 PM
I have never heard of an all you can eat CS. The only relatively cheap thing I can think of is Trail's End breakfast ($11.99) & lunch ($12.99) buffets which aren't even CS. I haven't watched yet but did tivo it. Going to watch right now and then post my thoughts. :)

hayanyujah847
04-26-2008, 01:01 AM
I played it back 3 times, he definitely said "some counter service meals are all you can eat."

I thought the show was actually almost deceiving.

LOVED the little graphic that came up with the old cost of stroller rentals. Since it's a graphic, I really think they should remove it. I bet they wouldn't put a replacement in with the real price though.

Man, that stroller price is really going to mess with some people's vacations banking on the $8-10 they saw in tonight's program. I hope people do more research and see the prices more then doubled. I was also surprised they couldn't remove or edit that graphic before airing.

I thought tonight's was going to have more money saving trips. Families were not utilizing the cheapest options.

Thoughts on the family of 5 who had 4 days at WDW...
-They stayed in a cabin at Fort Wilderness. Wouldn't a family suite at All Stars have been cheaper? You still get the fridge, microwave and can sleep 6.
-They bought the 4 Day Park Hopper + More. So in the 4 days, they hopped parks, went to at least one water park, went to Disney Quest, and still had a ton of downtime for boating & playing football? I think a cheaper option would have been just the normal 4 day ticket and then take advantage of the free pools if you are truly doing "Disney on a Dime".

WaltD4Me
04-26-2008, 01:08 AM
I like the first family who went and had a package for 2 nights/3 days. Wasn't that package over $1,300? For 2 nights? Not so much on a dime if you ask me.

I was thinking the same thing about the family at Fort Wilderness too. Seems like they spent alot more on the cabin....so they could go biking??? They could have gotten a room at a moderate with a pack and play for the baby and still had a fridge to do breakfast in the room. They were so happy not to have to rent a car, but they might has well have so they could buy all that food they ate in the cabin somewhere a whole lot cheaper than on property. I can only imagine how much that Mickey shaped cheese they had with the crackers cost! :rotfl:

hayanyujah847
04-26-2008, 01:23 AM
I like the first family who went and had a package for 2 nights/3 days. Wasn't that package over $1,300? For 2 nights? Not so much on a dime if you ask me.

I know! Pure insanity! I realize DBf and I are only a family of 2, but I think they could have made that $1300 stretch a bit further. I know we always do. ;)

I am half surprised they didn't mention the Deluxe Dining Plan, only the regular dining plan. I think money wise the deluxe is actually a more money saving plan if you can eat that much. (DBf and I are going to try to conquer that beast when we go in October). Especially surprised since the whole show just seems to be a plug for Disney marketing and the DxDP is more $$$.

daneenm
04-26-2008, 08:50 AM
I have been disappointed by all of the new specials. Who does WDW for 2 nights??? Perhaps if you lived right there, but I don't even do DL in 2 nights.

Also laughed out loud when the showed the stroller price up on the screen! :rotfl: Already needs a little update.

So, sure their trips were less than $2,000, but they also would hardly see anything.

--Daneen

SamIAm21
04-26-2008, 09:19 AM
The only special I enjoyed so far is Samantha Brown's. Most of the information was correct and it was about her favorites and that's subjective. I was really peeved last night at that Disney on a Dime. I was peeved about the stroller prices being wrong. How dare they? They knew this special was coming on, they could have eliminated that graphic.

As far as I could see, there wasn't one real economizing point in the whole show. What about buying some breakfast cereal and milk and eating breakfast in your room? What about buying some snacks to carry with you throughout the park. What about the $7.99 24 pack of water from Staples that you can throw in your mini-fridge or in an ice bucket overnight to get them cold (for a while at least)! What about bringing those little packs of kool-aid mix to add to your water bottles so you don't have to buy sodas all day? That show was a bunch of hooey and was nothing more than a Disney commercial for MYW and Dining, which is such a joke these days. You bought dining and you're only going to eat once today. Big savings there??

I like the scenery, but the actual show was pretty light on economical tips.

WaltD4Me
04-26-2008, 09:29 AM
I was actually surprised, Travel Channel usually does a better job. It really was like a big long commercial, but at the very least, if they weren't really going after showing true money saving tips, couldn't they have a Disney "expert" edit the thing for accuracy? I also didn't like the way they showed the parks practically empty. They made it seem like you could just skip through the parks all day with practically no other people around. And although it does happen, they kept showing the characters riding the rides with people, like Alice joins people on the Teacups for every ride. Or how about when the one family had front row seats for FOTLK? Those seats usually reserved for handicapped guests.

Stroller Boy
04-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Almost glad I missed it :confused3

carelo
04-27-2008, 01:03 PM
I watched the whole thing thinking "this is Disney on a dime???" I know for the amounts they showed for the number of days I could've done a whole lot better price wise. :confused:

I think they did have Disney experts edit it... Disney marketing dept experts that is. They sure put their spin on it anyway. This was definitely a Disney marketing video not actual research done by an independent party.

WaltD4Me
04-27-2008, 01:20 PM
I think they did have Disney experts edit it... Disney marketing dept experts that is. They sure put their spin on it anyway. This was definitely a Disney marketing video not actual research done by an independent party.

Really? I think Disney is much better at marketing than this show and I can't believe they wouldn't have caught the part about the 10 year getting a child's ticket, I doubt they'd want to promote that...or even the two night thing for over $1,300. Not even Disney could think that sounds good.

carelo
04-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Really? I think Disney is much better at marketing than this show and I think they would have caught the part about the 10 year getting a child's ticket, I doubt they would want to promote that...or even the two night thing for over$1,300. I don't even think Disney would think that sounds good.

Seriously? After some of the other changes they've made like stroller rental prices and DDP changes?

elemusing
04-27-2008, 01:25 PM
The family at Fort Wilderness keeps talking about how affordable it is, but they sure added alot of extras on. Adding on the waterpark option, renting a pontoon boat, ect...they make it seem like that is all included.

THAT is exactly what I was thinking. Here is a way to save money - but then they show them with all these extras that "regular" people who are really trying to do it on a budget would never get to do. And did you notice the father saying as they were getting on the boat in his commentary that at home they wouldn't be able to rent a pontoon for this price??? What??? I can tell you from experience that the pontoon rentals at our lake are not as expensive as WDW's rentals.

kimbac3
04-27-2008, 01:29 PM
I only saw bits and pieces but I remember thinking...Fort Wilderness?? Um..not really a Disney on a dime thing :confused3 We're a family of five and we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside...much cheaper than Fort Wilderness.

I'm glad I didn't see that stroller graphic!! I would have really started ranting:headache: My family just loves when I do that:rolleyes1 :rotfl2:

WaltD4Me
04-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Seriously? After some of the other changes they've made like stroller rental prices and DDP changes?

True, very true, but as far as actual marketing, commericals and vacation planning DVD's, advertisments, that kind of thing, I think they are much better at that kind of thing than what was on this show/commercial.

DisneyKevin
04-27-2008, 02:27 PM
I liked the family that stayed in Fort Wilderness so their kids could eat cheese and crackers and play frisbee golf. :lmao:

If that's what they want to do...great....but we could all show them how to do that for about 4 bucks.

This show was a bit like saying that you should stay in a Disney resort because the gift shop sells soda for $2.50. :lmao:

I think we need to explain the concept of "on a dime".

WaltD4Me
04-27-2008, 02:32 PM
I liked the family that stayed in Fort Wilderness so their kids could eat cheese and crackers and play frisbee golf. :lmao:

Oh, but c'mon Kevin, didn't you hear the mom say it was MICKEY shaped cheese!!?! That alone makes it all worth it. And besides, as they repeated time and time again, they saved so much not having to rent a car! That alone gave the them extra cash to stay at FW and to feel rich by renting a pontoon boat to drive it by the "Magic Castle." :lmao:

DaisyLynn
04-27-2008, 03:13 PM
That alone gave the them extra cash to stay at FW and to feel rich by renting a pontoon boat to drive it by the "Magic Castle." :lmao:

Bahahahahahaha! I totally forgot about the "Magic Castle!" I laughed so hard at that...my neighbors probably heard me! :rotfl2:

Chrissie-riel
04-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi - my name is Chrissie, and I am a Disney addict....

You know you're a Disney addict when you watch the Travel Channel specials and notice every one of these stupid mistakes!!

dpuck1998
04-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi - my name is Chrissie, and I am a Disney addict....

You know you're a Disney addict when you watch the Travel Channel specials and notice every one of these stupid mistakes!!

Tell me about it....my wife hates watching these with me because I'm always yelling at the TV. Sidenote, anyone else sense the anger in the DD that was staying at Pop? He seemed mad and the poor wife wasn't allowed to talk...but when she did she kept tapping her ring on the metal chair and it almost threw me over the edge of insanity!

amyhughes
04-28-2008, 05:05 PM
My husband has stopped watching Travel Channel with me for fear of the $1600 Disney commercial playing and me going into my tirade... Sigh... I can't imagine if he hung out for me watching these latest ones.

The one I really and truly enjoyed was on the History Channel and was the Modern Marvels show. Had nothing to say and I was shushing everyone so I could hear.