PDA

View Full Version : Disney justified in raising buffet prices due to customer demand

nikjd68
04-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Several times over recent podcasts, the podcast crew has criticized Disney for increasing the prices of buffets. You have particularly criticized Disney's explanation that this was due to "customer demand". In a recent podcast, Pete made the point of correcting one of the other podcasters when they used a different word and Pete said Disney said it was due to "demand".

I think you guys may have missed the point. Disney isn't saying that customers demanded higher prices, but rather that due to supply and demand the increase was justified. I am not saying Disney is correct. But if the Buffets are packed, then raising prices is certainly justified. A market price dampens demand thus opening up supply (albeit for those who can afford it).

SamIAm21
04-23-2008, 03:18 PM
The one explanation given to me by a pretty informed Disney-phile was that "customer demand" was used in the sense that during peak crowd times at WDW, more people are eating in the buffets due to convenience and the ability to eat and go quickly. This in turn means that Disney has to incresae personnel to staff the buffets and wait on guests. Therefore, the cost increase is used to offset the additional staff and resources needed to keep the buffets stocked and running smoothly throughout these peak periods.

If this is anywhere near the truth, then I am okay with that. I would hate to be in Crystal Palace on a day when it is packed and have it be short-staffed. I think a short-staffed buffet/restaurant would create worse customer feedback than the few extra dollars they are charging.

Now like I said, this may or may not be true, but if it is, I can understand the price increase under those circumstances.

Disneybridein2k3
04-23-2008, 04:32 PM
The one explanation given to me by a pretty informed Disney-phile was that "customer demand" was used in the sense that during peak crowd times at WDW, more people are eating in the buffets due to convenience and the ability to eat and go quickly. This in turn means that Disney has to incresae personnel to staff the buffets and wait on guests. Therefore, the cost increase is used to offset the additional staff and resources needed to keep the buffets stocked and running smoothly throughout these peak periods.

If this is anywhere near the truth, then I am okay with that. I would hate to be in Crystal Palace on a day when it is packed and have it be short-staffed. I think a short-staffed buffet/restaurant would create worse customer feedback than the few extra dollars they are charging.

Now like I said, this may or may not be true, but if it is, I can understand the price increase under those circumstances.
SamIam - this is not a flame on you, but this is crap. If the reason for a price increase is being justified because the restaurant is busy and needs more staff, then the restaurant is MAKING more money as well which should cover the cost of the staffing. I am more likely to believe the reasoning is closer to what the OP said - Disney is justifying the price increase because of supply & demand - no different than the stoller pricing increase IMHO. I believe it is greed that is the real reason and as consumers, we are not helping by paying the exaggerated prices. Seems to me it is really Disney's ego: we can do it because you'll pay for it.

wildeoscar
04-23-2008, 05:03 PM
that was me, i didn't think it was expensive enough to vacation in WDW, so I wrote letters asking them to raise the prices.

ADP
04-23-2008, 05:10 PM
that was me, i didn't think it was expensive enough to vacation in WDW, so I wrote letters asking them to raise the prices.

Way to go! You've messed it up for the rest of us. :laughing:

WaltD4Me
04-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Several times over recent podcasts, the podcast crew has criticized Disney for increasing the prices of buffets. You have particularly criticized Disney's explanation that this was due to "customer demand". In a recent podcast, Pete made the point of correcting one of the other podcasters when they used a different word and Pete said Disney said it was due to "demand".

I think you guys may have missed the point. Disney isn't saying that customers demanded higher prices, but rather that due to supply and demand the increase was justified. I am not saying Disney is correct. But if the Buffets are packed, then raising prices is certainly justified. A market price dampens demand thus opening up supply (albeit for those who can afford it).

Ummmmmm, okay.

Do you know of ANY other restaurant that does this????

I don't cook, so I eat out ALOT, I've never known a restaurant to raise prices just because they are busy. Yes, I do know restaurants that raise buffet prices on holidays (like Easter, Mother's Day, ect...) BUT they also add extra choices to those buffets. In fact I worked at Houlihans for years and our Easter and Mother's Day brunches were PACKED, we didn't raise the price, we were thrilled with all the extra business. Yes, we staffed more, but we also made alot more. Same thing with St Patrick's and New Year's, again we had people waiting in line outside, same prices. :rolleyes:

aldango
04-23-2008, 05:27 PM

I 100% agree with you. This has been bugging me for weeks, but I've been too lazy to write a justification. Thanks!

Ummmmmm, okay.

I don't cook, so I eat out ALOT, I've never known a restaurant to raise prices just because they are busy. Yes, I do know restaurants that raise buffet prices on holidays (like Easter, Mother's Day, ect...) BUT they also add extra choices to those buffets. In fact I worked at Houlihans for years and our Easter and Mother's Day brunches were PACKED, we didn't raise the price, we were thrilled with all the extra business. Yes, we staffed more, but we also made alot more. Same thing with St Patrick's and New Year's, again we had people waiting in line outside, same prices. :rolleyes:

It's a bit different at the buffets at WDW than at a regular restaurant simply because of logistics. Raising the price of a buffet is very simple: just say today the buffet is $x and it's done. Only one price (or two, because of children's prices) has to be changed in the computer system. Changing the prices at peak times at a regular restaurant would be very elaborate and would probably involve not only changing the signage but the computer system.

Also, consider another example - lunch and dinner pricing. How many times have you eaten a meal at dinner only to find that the exact same meal is offered at lunch for a cheaper price? I have seen this several times. It's the same thing. :)

aldango
04-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Seems to me it is really Disney's ego: we can do it because you'll pay for it.

Or it's Disney's recognition of the inelasticity of demand. :)

rayelias
04-23-2008, 05:36 PM
So, Disney doesn't raise the price for strollers for a LONG time, and when they do, they raise them a lot. Everyone is OUTRAGED.

But, Disney raises the price of dining moderately every so often (instead of a large increase after a long period of no increases), and everyone is OUTRAGED.

I guess you can't win.

Disney has to cover the cost of giving away free dining to a family of 4 paying $99 a night at a value somehow.

drakethib
04-23-2008, 05:42 PM
SamIam - this is not a flame on you, but this is crap. If the reason for a price increase is being justified because the restaurant is busy and needs more staff, then the restaurant is MAKING more money as well which should cover the cost of the staffing. I am more likely to believe the reasoning is closer to what the OP said - Disney is justifying the price increase because of supply & demand - no different than the stoller pricing increase IMHO. I believe it is greed that is the real reason and as consumers, we are not helping by paying the exaggerated prices. Seems to me it is really Disney's ego: we can do it because you'll pay for it.

Agree

calypso*a*go-go
04-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Disney has to cover the cost of giving away free dining to a family of 4 paying $99 a night at a value somehow.

Believe me -- Disney gives *nothing* away. If they were losing money by offering the free dining promotion, they wouldn't do it (and they especially not four years in a row).

WaltD4Me
04-23-2008, 06:11 PM
So, Disney doesn't raise the price for strollers for a LONG time, and when they do, they raise them a lot. Everyone is OUTRAGED.

But, Disney raises the price of dining moderately every so often (instead of a large increase after a long period of no increases), and everyone is OUTRAGED.

I guess you can't win.

Are you serious?

This isn't about Disney just raising prices, this is about them charging more temporarily, for no good reason, because they know it will be busy and they can probably get away with it and I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense.

And it isn't like Disney is being benevolent and kind offering free dining. They are doing that because attendance is so low in September. They WANT to fill up those $99 rooms, so those people buy parks tickets and Mickey bars and souvenirs while in the parks. Sure, free dining is a great thing, but believe me if Disney thought they were losing money or even just breaking even in offering it, it would go away.

MODisFan
04-23-2008, 07:07 PM

I guess you can't win.

Fine, so Disney is giving "free" dining to that family of 4. However, those of us not using the dining plan are the ones actually paying for that free dining by paying out of pocket for those meals.

WaltD4Me
04-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Fine, so Disney is giving "free" dining to that family of 4. However, those of us not using the dining plan are the ones actually paying for that free dining by paying out of pocket for those meals.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this statement?

Even if Disney wasn't offering free dining, wouldn't you still be paying out of pocket for your meals? Why are you paying for free dining? And just curious, why aren't you also getting the free dining?

dpuck1998
04-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Ummmmmm, okay.

I have been to many restaurants that do this in fact. I don't think it is right, but its no different than hotels, cruises and lots of vacation destinations. When I goto Chicago the weekends cost more than the weekdays and the summer is higher than the winter. I don't blame Disney, but I think the industry in general does this a lot.

rayelias
04-23-2008, 07:29 PM

EXACTLY!!!

Disneybridein2k3
04-23-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm sorry, I don't understand this statement?

Even if Disney wasn't offering free dining, wouldn't you still be paying out of pocket for your meals? Why are you paying for free dining? And just curious, why aren't you also getting the free dining?
Going out on a limb here, but it looks like Modisfan is DVC based on the siggy line. Free dining is only available to those booking a package so DVC villas don't count.

Darn you WO! I should've known it was all your fault!

MODisFan
04-23-2008, 07:36 PM
I didn't clarify my statement very well. IMO, I feel that the prices for food have been raised since disney started offering the dining plan package. They've inflated the cost of food so people will purchase the dining plan which guarantees that guests will eat 2-3 meals a day at WDW versus (let's say) 1. For the guest that can't afford the dining plan (even during "free" dining) they end up paying a lot out of pocket for the couple of meals they do eat on property. Just my opinion.

MODisFan
04-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Going out on a limb here, but it looks like Modisfan is DVC based on the siggy line. Free dining is only available to those booking a package so DVC villas don't count.

Darn you WO! I should've known it was all your fault!

Free dining is only available to those booking a package but DVC members can purchase the dining plan for the lengths of their stay. We've done so twice but found it wasn't the best deal for us.

Disney/Universal Fan
04-23-2008, 09:05 PM
I guess I may have to be one of those that is not going to complain about the prices. If I can't afford to go to a certain restaurant because of the price, I find another one to go to and try to find alternative ways to keep the cost down. Trails End Buffeteria has turned into one of my favorite places to eat, and the cost is reasonable. It's only a boat ride from the Magic Kingdom. Try sharing meals. Drink Ice water instead of soda. They don't charge you for the glass of ice or the water. Cut down on what you eat. Just because you are on vacation doesn't mean you have to gorge yourself. And remember, Disney is not in the business to lose money, or for that matter, break even. .

MODisFan
04-23-2008, 09:10 PM
The cost doesn't bother too bad or I wouldn't keep taking my family back so much :)

DisneyKevin
04-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Ok...play along.

Disney has decided that due to customer demand, they are going to raise the price of admission when children are out of school.

Jersey Week, Christmas week, Presidents week, All Spring Break weeks and Summer vacations increase the demand placed on Disney parks and facilities.

In light of this, Disney has decided charge a 25% increase in the cost of admission during these times.

Now...I need to ask.

Are you still ok with this scenario?

Trust me, we understand what Disney is saying and we are poking fun at their wording and pointing out that we feel it's ridiculous.

WaltD4Me
04-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Ok...play along.

Disney has decided that due to customer demand, they are going to raise the price of admission when children are out of school.

Jersey Week, Christmas week, Presidents week, All Spring Break weeks and Summer vacations increase the demand placed on Disney parks and facilities.

In light of this, Disney has decided charge a 25% increase in the cost of admission during these times.

Now...I need to ask.

Trust me, we understand what Disney is saying and we are poking fun at their wording and pointing out that we feel it's ridiculous.

Exactly. I said basically the same thing during the Stroller debate. Disney keeps pushing the envelope with the price increases, stroller rental price increase doesn't effect me and neither does the "holiday" dining increase, but I gotta think if the trend keeps up, something eventually will.

aldango
04-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Ok...play along.

Now...I need to ask.

They already do this with the hotels... perhaps because people 'expect' it, whereas they wouldn't expect them to do what you described. There's a precedent against it. But they also do that at skiing resorts! Lift tickets cost more during peak times.

I'm not saying that I like any kind of price increases. Like people have said, they're just milking us for all they can, and until people stop paying for it it's not going to change. :(

DisneyKevin
04-23-2008, 11:23 PM
They already do this with the hotels... perhaps because people 'expect' it, whereas they wouldn't expect them to do what you described. There's a precedent against it. But they also do that at skiing resorts! Lift tickets cost more during peak times.

I'm not saying that I like any kind of price increases. Like people have said, they're just milking us for all they can, and until people stop paying for it it's not going to change. :(

Ski resorts are not advertising during prime time that you can take a family of four to their resort for $1600.

And yes..there are precedents to be found for this practice, but it is usually not found at restaurants.

I understand that holiday buffets are usually a higher price, but that is most often because there are more, or the very least different selections.

And I understand that lunch is often less expensive than dinner, but you often receive a smaller portion for lunch and the restaurant is attempting to fill empty seats.

But again, the practice of increasing cost due to demand is not often seen in restaurants. If that were the case, why arent we seeing higher prices between 6 and 8pm, as thats when demand is the greatest.

Why isnt Denny's jacking up the price of a Grand Slam for the after church crowd?

The answer is simple. It's because customers wouldnt stand for it. The restaurant would lose business.

The difference is that Disney has large and rabid enough fan base that these seats will be filled pretty much no matter what price is charged.

Until people start responding with their wallets, this kind of increase will continue.

To put another spin on this....

Each year Florida goes through another hurricane season. During those times when the storms are severe and they blow out all electricity, batteries become scarce. This equates to an increase in (guest) demand.

Each year some yahoo gets caught charging (guests) exorbitant prices for batteries because the supply is low and demand is high. The police and news channels swoop in and arrest the yahoo for "price gouging."

It sorta seems like the same idea when Disney announces that they are raising the price on an already expensive character meal because their park is busy.

Is it illegal? No.

Is it going to cause empty seats in the restaurant? Probably not.

I guess my point in all of this is that I understand why they are doing what they are doing, I just dont particularly like it.

aldango
04-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Ski resorts are not advertising during prime time that you can take a family of four to their resort for $1600.

Fair point.
And yes..there are precedents to be found for this practice, but it is usually not found at restaurants.

I understand that holiday buffets are usually a higher price, but that is most often because there are more, or the very least different selections.

And I understand that lunch is often less expensive than dinner, but you often receive a smaller portion for lunch and the restaurant is attempting to fill empty seats.

But again, the practice of increasing cost due to demand is not often seen in restaurants. If that were the case, why arent we seeing higher prices between 6 and 8pm, as thats when demand is the greatest.

I disagree. Frequently I've seen the exact same portion being offered for a lower price at lunch. You said it yourself - they're attempting to fill empty seats - it is the exact same principle working in reverse.

Why isnt Denny's jacking up the price of a Grand Slam for the after church crowd?

The answer is simple. It's because customers wouldnt stand for it. The restaurant would lose business.

I agree and disagree. There are a couple of reasons: first, it's a logistical nightmare. Second, when you're at WDW, they've already got you there at the resort. You're probably only going to eat there once - it's a one shot game - and they don't have to worry about repeat customers. Denny's does, so the game is different.
The difference is that Disney has large and rabid enough fan base that these seats will be filled pretty much no matter what price is charged.

Until people start responding with their wallets, this kind of increase will continue.

I can't disagree here!

Each year Florida goes through another hurricane season. During those times when the storms are severe and they blow out all electricity, batteries become scarce. This equates to an increase in (guest) demand.

Each year some yahoo gets caught charging (guests) exorbitant prices for batteries because the supply is low and demand is high. The police and news channels swoop in and arrest the yahoo for "price gouging."

Yeah, that sucks, and it is illegal because it's during a civil emergency.
It sorta seems like the same idea when Disney announces that they are raising the price on an already expensive character meal because their park is busy.

Is it illegal? No.

Is it going to cause empty seats in the restaurant? Probably not.

I guess my point in all of this is that I understand why they are doing what they are doing, I just dont particularly like it.
And I agree with you! I understand why they're doing it, and I don't like it either.

WaltD4Me
04-24-2008, 12:09 AM

I wonder if this would be true if so many people didn't buy the DDP? I know I don't use DDP and did not book as many nice TS restaurants or characters meals as I probably would have because of the higher prices and I'm not even going during a time when they are charging the extra holiday rate. Disney may start to see some backlash, the ecomony isn't good, people are cutting back, paying more attention to what they are spending and I think Disney is going to start to notice people cutting back.

DisneyKevin
04-24-2008, 12:23 AM
You're probably only going to eat there once - it's a one shot game - and they don't have to worry about repeat customers.

Look around these boards. You might find a few repeat customers.

aldango
04-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Look around these boards. You might find a few repeat customers.

Yes, I know :) and perhaps they won't be repeat customers anymore! :P Haha. That's a bit besides my point though... my point was that the majority of visitors are going to be one-time patrons, that's all.

(The population of the Dis is not an accurate representation of the actual WDW clientele)

DisneyKevin
04-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Yes, I know :) and perhaps they won't be repeat customers anymore! :P Haha. That's a bit besides my point though... my point was that the majority of visitors are going to be one-time patrons, that's all.

(The population of the Dis is not an accurate representation of the actual WDW clientele)

I dont agree with your assessment.

I believe Disney wants their customers to come back again and again. Thats why they build new attractions and sell DVC.

Disney also does EVERYTHING in their power to get and keep their guests on property. (Magical Express, MYW tickets that get cheaper the longer you stay.)

Disney is definitely not marketing to the "one shot and your out" crowd.

Remember the parade "It's time to remember the magic"?

WaltD4Me
04-24-2008, 12:58 AM

Very true, but big picture here...yes, Disney has some amazing advertising and they don't seem to spare a penny on it, but never disallow the power of word of mouth. I know I have personally talked at least 5 families into going to Disney who would probably never would have otherwise. We may not be an accurate representation of clientele, but wiping the Disney stars from our eyes isn't a good idea either.

miss missy
04-24-2008, 01:02 AM

:rotfl2: figures

aldango
04-24-2008, 01:21 AM
I dont agree with your assessment.

I believe Disney wants their customers to come back again and again. Thats why they build new attractions and sell DVC.

Disney also does EVERYTHING in their power to get and keep their guests on property. (Magical Express, MYW tickets that get cheaper the longer you stay.)

Disney is definitely not marketing to the "one shot and your out" crowd.

Remember the parade "It's time to remember the magic"?

You definitely have a point. But does the average WDW customer visit each character buffet more than once? I don't know; I'd like to. I wasn't really referring to the whole vacation experience, but whatever. It's certainly a different situation than a regular neighborhood restaurant that you might visit up to ten times a year.

Look, it doesn't make an ounce of difference. What they do with their prices makes economic sense, whether we like it or not. We're the ones who make the decision to buy this crap; no one's forcing anybody to buy anything. It doesn't matter. I, for one, don't care to spend the regular price on a character meal because I can spend my money on other great things at WDW (like the Plaza).

aldango
04-24-2008, 01:22 AM
Very true, but big picture here...yes, Disney has some amazing advertising and they don't seem to spare a penny on it, but never disallow the power of word of mouth. I know I have personally talked at least 5 families into going to Disney who would probably never would have otherwise. We may not be an accurate representation of clientele, but wiping the Disney stars from our eyes isn't a good idea either.

I don't see what this has nothing to do with what I was talking about. :(

Disneybridein2k3
04-24-2008, 04:33 AM
I was wondering when Kevin was going to chime in on this one - thanks Kevin! :thumbsup2

happy2go2wdwmom
04-24-2008, 06:40 AM

SO glad you fessed up as I thought it was my free salads from the burger fixin's bars and e-bay resort cup purchases that were the culpirits.
:guilty:

global-mouse
04-24-2008, 07:28 AM

Has any one ever heard of an early bird special? This for all intensive purposes does the same thing, higher prices during peak periods.

I wonder if Disney just raised the prices, and then discounted them at slow times, would there would be such an outrage.

Linus Van Pelt
04-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Ok...play along.

Now...I need to ask.

As two childless adults traveling to WDW, heavens, yes, we're okay with that scenario! ;) :rotfl:

nikjd68
04-24-2008, 03:32 PM

"Price gouging" can be a crime. However, it only applies to civil emergencies, like your example above. But even in those situations, there is an exception for increased cost of supply (I don't want to say "customer demand").

Needless to say, increased prices for buffets at WDW do not constitute price gouging.

disneydad78
04-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Great ,I make so much money and WDW is so cheap,,yea I sent them a letter also, saying please raise your prices!! YEAH RIGHT!!

DisneyKevin
04-24-2008, 05:01 PM
"Price gouging" can be a crime. However, it only applies to civil emergencies, like your example above. But even in those situations, there is an exception for increased cost of supply (I don't want to say "customer demand").

Needless to say, increased prices for buffets at WDW do not constitute price gouging.

Yup....thats why I used the phrase "It sorta seems like" as opposed to "it is".

That's how I let folks know that I knew that it wasnt the same thing but instead was comparing the two things as an example.

I imagine it's the same reason you used "needless to say" when you said that increased prices at WDW do not constitute price gouging.

wildeoscar
04-24-2008, 07:39 PM
so what you are saying, is that in order to eat at a WDW buffet during a holiday, Goofy turns you upside down by the ankles and shakes all the change out of your pockets?

if no one was willing to pay the higher price, they could not raise the price. As with all things, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. therefore, if you go during the holidays, don't eat at the places charging a premium?

But during the holidays, room rates spike upward... if they can get you to pay more when demand is higher, then they are obligated to the stock holders to charge more.

if you read the press release carefully, and read the words and their meaning only... it does not say that customers demanded higher prices... what is states is that due to customer demand, we can charge a higher price. it really all depends on what your definition of "is" is.

princesspwrhr
04-24-2008, 08:21 PM

Becuase there's ALWAYS an exception - (and I find this discussion fascinating as it's remained civil)

The Golden Corrals in my area do exactly this. Same buffet lunch and dinner - dinner is $1 more. Breakfast is a different menu obviously but is the same price as lunch. (difference is unless you want a fountain beverage your drink (coffee, water, milk & juice) is included. Sunday is a full $3 more than M-Sat and breakfast, lunch & dinner cost the same ammount - so there's the church crowd. We discovered this inadvertantly at the cash register one night with starving children and not many other choices in the area.

This particular Golden Corral is across from the airport, so when we stopped at another one in our nearby town which happens to be a tourist & college town and the parking lot caters to buses we looked at the prices - same thing. It could be our area, that we have as many transients as locals, but these two restaurants are always full. (and not my favorite place to eat but.....)

Sadly there are also no more lunch menus in our area. Well except for the mom & pop mexican restaurants. All the big regular names have 1 menu for all operating hours. Instead most of them have a daily special. On Monday the Prime Rib is on sale, on Tuesdays you get a discount on your shrimp add on, Wednesdays & Thursday have their own specials and on Fri, Sat, Sun you pay full price for everything.

So while I think, along with everyone else, that the holiday buffet prices are stupid (especially mid May - end of June, but I'll give them Mem day and Fathers day) it honestly doesn't surprise me.

MM32830
04-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Of course, there are some of us that at at least partially happy about the price increase.

Who are we?

Disney Stockholders! Yes, it's nice whenever that dividend check shows up in the mail.

Yes, I understand that all these price increases (restaurants, stollers, etc.) could negatively affect Disney's profitability if people start revolting, but I suspect Disney understands their business quite well.

IHeartTink04
04-25-2008, 11:57 AM

I have to admit that this is what I am always thinking when they talk about this. I always say "Disney is not saying that customer's demanded prices to be higher!"

Kathi OD
04-25-2008, 12:14 PM
As two childless adults traveling to WDW, heavens, yes, we're okay with that scenario! ;) :rotfl:

Me too!:rotfl: