PDA

View Full Version : Pin Trading?

myAAbatteries&aTD
04-17-2008, 11:44 PM
So we've been buying pins for the kids (Belle ones mostly for Avery Belle and Aurora ones for our little princess Aurora, misc. ones for Tabor) on past trips... they're very sentimental so I don't know that they will get into the pin trading this trip, but they might want to give it a try, esp. since I got some bonus ones from winning something Disney on ebay (styles we don't want to keep but someone else might like).... my question is, when you go to trade w/ a cast member, do they choose whichever pin they want from your collection? I can just see my dd crying b/c she doesn't want to give up a favorite..... that's why I was thinking that we should maybe have trading pins and keeper pins..... Can someone with experience please fill me in on pin trading etiquette???? Thanks so much!

mjrich73
04-18-2008, 12:35 AM
So we've been buying pins for the kids (Belle ones mostly for Avery Belle and Aurora ones for our little princess Aurora, misc. ones for Tabor) on past trips... they're very sentimental so I don't know that they will get into the pin trading this trip, but they might want to give it a try, esp. since I got some bonus ones from winning something Disney on ebay (styles we don't want to keep but someone else might like).... my question is, when you go to trade w/ a cast member, do they choose whichever pin they want from your collection? I can just see my dd crying b/c she doesn't want to give up a favorite..... that's why I was thinking that we should maybe have trading pins and keeper pins..... Can someone with experience please fill me in on pin trading etiquette???? Thanks so much!

You choose which pin you want to trade, you choose one of their pins and they will trade with you as long as they don't already have the pin you are wanting to give them in return. Have fun with it, my kids LOVED it last year!!

JAM113
04-23-2008, 03:24 AM
First, you always have a choice with your own pins. If you don't want to trade it, don't. Cast members will always trade with you (unless, as stated above, they already have the one you are offering). Some cast members have a different colored lanyard (can't remember at the moment - blue, or yellow?) that only allows them to trade with children under a certain age (again, can't remember specifics - 10, or 12?). That's a great way to have kids start, as the CMs are so helpful about it. Also, they don't mind if you just ask to see what they have, if you're looking for something specific, as long as they aren't terribly busy (ie - line of customers out the door, etc). My youngest was on a Tinkerbell quest. She'd ask to look, and if she didn't find anything, just thanked the CM for letting her look. Other park guests, however, have the same right of refusal you do, so if you see something you like on someone standing in line, you have to be prepared for them to say no. We bought a small lot on ebay before we left, for $2-3 per pin so we would have something to start trading with. It didn't seem to make sense to have DDs pick out new pins and then expect them to trade them right away, as they would have picked out pins they wanted to keep. They didn't have any emotional ties to the lot we received. They were all good pins, just a number of them they didn't mind giving away. Hope this helps - it was more fun than I was expecting. DDs are already making plans for our upcoming trip and bugging us to buy another "starter" for trades!

karajeboo
04-23-2008, 09:12 AM
When we started our DD pin trading when she was 5, the CMs told us that if the child wants to choose one of the CMs, then the CM gets to choose one of the child's. We just don't let her wear some of her more sentimental pins, just in case. I buy the "throw aways" for her before the trip, some that I know she doesn't really like - i.e. villains, etc. That way there is no heartbreak when the CM chooses that one.

onehotdisneymama
04-23-2008, 09:38 AM
My family loves pin trading. We have two landyards for each person. One with traders, one with keepers. Disney also sells what they call locking backs for the pins. We use these on our keepers so they don't come loose and get lost. Those rubber Mickey head backs come off so easy. To learn more about pin trading I found this site to help alot. (disney.go.com/eventservices/whatispintrading.html ) I certainly hope this helps you. Also, the CM wearing blue lanyards can trade with anyone. If they are wearing green lanyards they can only trade with children. Have fun.

Momvic5
04-23-2008, 09:48 AM
When we started our DD pin trading when she was 5, the CMs told us that if the child wants to choose one of the CMs, then the CM gets to choose one of the child's. We just don't let her wear some of her more sentimental pins, just in case. I buy the "throw aways" for her before the trip, some that I know she doesn't really like - i.e. villains, etc. That way there is no heartbreak when the CM chooses that one.

I am surprised by that. We went this past December, and when I asked a CM the proper etiquette he specifically stated that the child can give any pin off their lanyard that they choose, and pick any pin off the CM's lanyard that they would like. He also said that CMs are not allowed to pick a pin off of a child's lanyard. They had to take the pin the child was willing to give them unless the CM already had an identical pin. CMs wearing blue lanyards only trade with children 12 and under. CMs wearing green lanyards can trade with anyone.

My 3 children traded everyday for 8 days, and never once did a CM choose a pin from their lanyard. My childen always decided which pin they were going to give up and which pin they were going to take. They loved it.

Momvic5
04-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Ok ...now my brain is drawing a blank. Like the PP stated, maybe the green lanyards trade with children and the blue lanyards trade with everyone. Go to Disney.com to double check. They have the guidelines posted there.

Sorry for the mix-up on CM lanyards.

karajeboo
04-23-2008, 09:56 AM
I am surprised by that. We went this past December, and when I asked a CM the proper etiquette he specifically stated that the child can give any pin off their lanyard that they choose, and pick any pin off the CM's lanyard that they would like. He also said that CMs are not allowed to pick a pin off of a child's lanyard. They had to take the pin the child was willing to give them unless the CM already had an identical pin. CMs wearing blue lanyards only trade with children 12 and under. CMs wearing green lanyards can trade with anyone.

My 3 children traded everyday for 8 days, and never once did a CM choose a pin from their lanyard. My childen always decided which pin they were going to give up and which pin they were going to take. They loved it.

That's good to know - so now maybe DD can wear some of her favorite pins! Thanx for the info!:thumbsup2

mickeymaker2003
04-23-2008, 02:49 PM
We have pin traded many times at the parks. Even though they make locking pin backs, I would be cautious about wearing pins you love in the park. I have a few pins where the post broke off the pin (the pin back is still on the post, but the post is no longer attached to the rest of the pin). They can be fragile.

Also, as everyone else has said, the cast member has to take whichever pin you are offering as long as it is a tradeable Disney pin (metal, Disney backstamp, tack style back) and they don't already have it on their lanyard. I have once had a cast member request a Pluto pin for their lanyard that was all Pluto, but they should take whatever you offer.

Pin trading is lots of fun and I'm sure your children will enjoy it. You may find other casual traders in line to trade with. I tend to pick up things I think kids will like, just so I can trade the pin to a child later (and I'll take whichever pin they offer to trade for). Pins are the only souvenier I know of that you can choose, take home and enjoy, and then bring it back on your next trip and trade in for something else. We use our standing in line time to look at pins--we've entertained others in line by showing them our collection many times. Trading also give you a reason to chat with cast members.

onehotdisneymama
04-23-2008, 02:58 PM
You are sure right about the posts on the back of the pins breaking off. That has happened a couple of times to my daughter.

xxWDWfreak
04-23-2008, 06:38 PM
A pin that you dont want, ask a Disney cast member to trade then you get to pick a pin on their lanyard that you want.

tink76
04-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Do you think a 2.5 year old would enjoy pin trading at all? DD will be 2.5 when we go and I am wondering if I should buy some pins off ebay before.

myAAbatteries&aTD
04-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks for all the info and links! I'm going to buy a lot off ebay (seems like there are plenty of reputable sellers on there!) and let the kids go from there.... I know they'll enjoy it, but they can be sentimental so getting pins w/ characters I know they won't mind giving away will be a big plus and knowing that the CM won't take one of their favorites will ease their minds, too..... Can't wait for June!!!!

mickeymaker2003
04-23-2008, 11:19 PM
My 14 month old already loves my pins. She keeps trying to take them off of my pin cork board. We made her a pin book of her own with all pins that have moving parts (something spins, doors open, etc). She will be a 19month old pin trader when we go to WDW in Sept--mom and grandma are giving her some pins and she will get to pick anything she wants off cast lanyards. As long as they are old enough to point to a pin they like, they can learn how to trade.

onehotdisneymama
04-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Don't forget that pin trading can be fun for adults too. It is a nice way to get to know some of the cast members while trading pins.

rt2dz
04-24-2008, 09:40 AM
DS#1 (then 6, almost 7) started pin trading on our last trip and DS#2 (then 3, almost 4) started pin collecting (he wouldn't give anything up, despite buying trade only pins). DS#3 had just turned 2 and I had pins just in case, but he wasn't even slightly interested. I ended up giving his pins to DS#1 to trade away.

The CMs always had him pick which pin to give them; they told us that Mickey gives them pins to have fun with the guests at the start of every shift. They don't care what they get because it just doesn't matter. Although, one CM pocketed a pin he chose to trade. :) It was a pin I paid $3 for and it was beautiful, large, and limited edition, but he saw it as heavy and not a favorite character. He did get a very exclusive pin for it (found out because another CM told us and told him not to trade it for anything), so I guess it was still a good trade.

We found CMs to be very helpful. They told us everything that I just couldn't remember about pin trading. Many of them would also go get another CMs lanyard when they had some really nice pins (exclusive, hard to find, nice pins with his favorite character) for DS to look at.