PDA

View Full Version : We're Going to Disney

ColleenG
04-17-2008, 07:42 PM
What are some fun, surprising ways you have told your kids you are going to Disney World? We are going in October and need to come up with something interesting. We wanted to tell them the night before but I don't think it'll happen. For one thing I start packing way before we go so the suit cases piled up in my bedroom would be a little hard to explain away.

For our last trip we went in January right after Christmas and Santa Claus :santa: delivered post cards from Mickey Mouse inviting each of us to visit him on the dates we were going.

Give me your best ideas :idea:

Thanks Disers!!

of2dbeach
04-18-2008, 05:49 AM
how i suprised my middle child was 2 ways .. once i was at the dollar tree and they had look alike barbies like the princesses so i bought 4 of them.I got a cheapy camera disney theme and a few disney dollars ( disney store) i had to wake her up at 6 am to get there on time ( were in florida ) and set everything up on her dresser with the princess holding the disney dollars.. woke her up told her get up get dressed and HURRY she was pissed till she got to her dresser.. the screams woke everyone else up ( hee hee)
Another time i went to her school on her Birthday had them call her to the office it was around 10 am she was cluess as to what was going on and actualy thought she was in trouble. I told her to stand at the desk and wispered in her ear to tell the lady the following message " I am leaving now to go home and pack because it is my birthday and Mommy is taking me to Disney World tommorow.. of course she freaked out the lady nin the office wasent happy i took her out for the day to "Pack" but hell with them she needed Mommy and Me time ( we have 5 kids ) and it didnt kill her to miss a day anyways. not something I would of normaly did but man was she excited!
id say maybe pack when they are in school put the suitcases under your bed for easy packing . another idea i havent used yet it get some helium mickey balloons ( think dollar tree) and tie clues to each Balloons such as the camera , park maps etc then put them in boxes for the kids to open.. balloons pop up and "Suprise" maybe a treasure hunt would be fun to do also with the clues leading to the big Suprise.. the more creative the better plus the planning part is always the best part for me.. yep i am a Disney junkie.. sorry for rambling. hope this helps ..

Tnkrbelle565
04-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Check out YouTube...there are lots of fun surprises on there....plus they are fun to watch.

We have Tinkerbell come to our house the night before we leave. She leaves a pixie dust trail to a gift basket of goodies for the trip. DD knows that when Tink comes...it's Disney Day!

wdwgypsy
04-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Tell them "We have to go visit old friends!" for the suitcases and let them guess as you roll up to the gates or get on M.E.!

Did that and as we were driving by the exit to WDW one DD looked up and said "Wish we were going there instead."

Imagine the look on her face when her Mother and I said "OK" and pulled off the highway toward WDW.

Natalie_89
04-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Check out YouTube...there are lots of fun surprises on there....plus they are fun to watch.

We have Tinkerbell come to our house the night before we leave. She leaves a pixie dust trail to a gift basket of goodies for the trip. DD knows that when Tink comes...it's Disney Day!

thats such a sweet idea i wood have loved that when i was younger..to be honest i still wood now!!! xxxprincess:

Tnkrbelle565
04-18-2008, 10:46 AM
thats such a sweet idea i wood have loved that when i was younger..to be honest i still wood now!!! xxxprincess:

Thank you...DD gets really into it. She'll be almost 5 for our next trip and she's already working on a "wish" list to "send to Tink"

Natalie_89
04-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Thank you...DD gets really into it. She'll be almost 5 for our next trip and she's already working on a "wish" list to "send to Tink"

aww bless...its a really nice idea xx

ColleenG
04-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I think I can secretly pack if DH and I can clear out some space in the closet in the basement. We keep it locked all the time so the kids think nothing of that. DH actually had them convinced that monsters lived in there. I think we just might wake them up and tell them Mickey called and needs to see us immediately. Let's go to the airport!

kirstiebird
04-18-2008, 07:37 PM
I LOVE the idea of Tink visiting your house before you leave to announce the trip -- dd6 and ds7 used to get elaborate gifts from Tink each night during the trip and I really didn't want to do it this time, but also didn't want to lose the Tink tradition (it would be like santa or the easter bunny not coming) -- your idea of a basket of goodies at home is a brilliant alternative for older children. I can put all of their travel goodies (we drive down) like new crayons, coloring books, etc.. and not have to hide any trinkets or stay up late this trip!!!

iluveeyore
04-19-2008, 08:32 AM
I think I can secretly pack if DH and I can clear out some space in the closet in the basement. We keep it locked all the time so the kids think nothing of that. DH actually had them convinced that monsters lived in there. I think we just might wake them up and tell them Mickey called and needs to see us immediately. Let's go to the airport!

That sounds like a great idea!
We took friends last year for two weeks and had to plan on the sly whenever they came over so their 8 and 3 yo boys wouldn't catch on. My friend told them they were going to a hotel with an indoor waterpark for the weekend in a nearby city for their summer getaway and that was why she was packing a 'few' things. She packed at night while they were sleeping and would hide the suitcases in the basement for a couple of weeks before we left.
They got the surprise on video the morning they were supposedly going to a hotel - got them up at 3:30 am, the oldest one first, then told him they weren't going where they said - he looked disappointed for an instant and very confused as to why he was up so early if they weren't going. Then his mom said, "We're going to Disney for two weeks instead, and our plane leaves in a few hours". He woke right up then, got a little teary eyed, then couldn't wait to wake up his 3yo brother and tell him the news. It was priceless, and I get teary-eyed when I watch it!
Have a great trip, and good luck with your surprise.

bear_mom
04-19-2008, 09:39 AM
We do a scavenger hunt with the end being a countdown calendar. We give our dds about 40 days notice, enough time for them to get really excited, but not too much time.

We are down to 8 days!!!!!!

Emily

xxDisney_Doll
04-19-2008, 04:12 PM
for my oldest daughters graduation from middle school (shes going to highschool now and I'm actually on her disboards account dont tell her ^_^) my sister-in-law planned on taking her to disney. So we put in a disney guide book, a minnie t-shirt, a minnie towel, a disposable camera, and a bunch of other stuff but the last one was directions to the wilderness lodge (the hotel they booked) in a big canvas bag and when she opened it she was like "Yeah its a t-shirt! and towel! thanks guys." yeah that's my daughter. When we gave her the directions she was like uh huh. She didn't get it. In the end we were like "Yes but what does all this put together mean!?" she said slowly but unsurely "Are we going to disney?" when we said yes finally! she screamed up and down and jumped for joy and she was so happy because the only other time she had gone was eight years prior. I thought it was pretty clever but apparently she didn't catch on.

adell557
04-20-2008, 12:00 AM
You can purchase a Disney's Enchanted Call for 2.50 from any character. Just go to google and type in Disney enchanted call and it will pull up the site.

reelmom
04-20-2008, 06:08 AM
We are going down just for the weekend to attend the PPP on May 31st. I have made a different treasure map for my DS4 and DS5( a thought just popped into my head. You could make the treasure map sort of a check off list with just a big X for WDW. That way they would be surprised until you got to the gates.) Anyways, I have bought them POTC lunch boxes and put pirate trinkets in it, tattoos,eye patches, etc. I also made them pirate shirts from Zazzle to wear to the party. I plan on giving them these when they figure out the map and find the treasure.