PDA

View Full Version : Kids and roller coaster question

Fabinva
04-17-2008, 12:14 PM
My son is 7 and like his dad he loves roller coasters, I rode many when I was young but do not like them a bit now :scared1: During our last visit to Disney son wanted to ride RnR and I told him he was too young even if he met height requirement (he is tall for his age), I felt bad and now wondering if I'm being overprotective :confused: So asking other parents to share experiences, not just RnR but maybe a local park coaster ride like Six Flags, how old were your kids when they started riding the big roller coasters?

LAH LAH
04-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I understand you being nervous...but they set the height requirements for a reason...if indeed they WANT to ride...and they are tall enough...they should be allowed to do so.

If it had been me I would have allowed them to do it. My daughter was 7 last year when we went and she LOVED it!

I hope you had lots of fun on your trip!!!! :tigger:

Bethy Lou
04-17-2008, 12:23 PM
If they want to ride it, I let them ride it. If they dislike the ride they may not want to do it again, but they also may give it a try later when they are older. I think if they can make their own decisions about rides it is better for them. It frustrates me that my DD will go on some roller coasters but not others, but I do not let her know that because it is her personal decision and I want her to feel she has freedom in those areas!

AuroraBeauty
04-17-2008, 05:59 PM
DD5 has been on TofT and liked it but after a few hours decided she wouldn't want to go on it again. So we just told her maybe next time.

True she didn't go on it alone, but she wanted to try it.

Then again, we were in line at DL for the Pinnochio ride (tame like Pooh at WDW) and a 7 yr old girl was in all out screaming mode b/c she didn't want to ride it because it was too scary.

Each child is different and only you know your son. You may want to stay in line with him and give him permission to change his mind up until he gets on the car. You'll see other kids in line and maybe that will help to ally your concerns by asking the parents and kids a few Qs.

Whatever you decide, have fun!