PDA

View Full Version : Let's Have Some Fun - Suggestions On How To Tell Our Kids

AndyMcV
04-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi Gang

I'm taking my family down to WDW in June. I have a conference to go to for work for a week and then we're switching over and staying at the Dolphin for another week.

So.. my kids (DS8 and DD4) are truly awesome and they would be SO excited (big understatement) to know that we're going to WDW. In fact a couple of weeks ago I said to my little guy "On a scale of 1 - 10, how much fun would it be to go to WDW?". His response was simply a big smile and an "Infinity + 1". Yeah, that was my feeling too, little buddy. :goodvibes

The problem is that there would be no chance in the world that DW and I would tell them now. They would be so excited and bug us so much that the trip would probably be called off before June. :)

So.... I really want to surpise them the day we leave or the night before. I've thought of a couple ideas but I want everyone's input here. I'm finding it really hard holding back and not telling my son (my daughter too but she wouldn't quite get the weight of my words) as I'm just as excited as he will be.

Let's hear your input gang.

Andy

Fantasmic23
04-16-2008, 11:52 AM
I am sure you will receive many creative suggestions! One of the things I love best is hearing (and seeing) all of the wonderful ways that parents have surprised their kids with a Disney World trip. In fact, one of the first videos that I ever watched on youtube was of parents surprising their kids with a WDW trip (youtube is FULL of these kinds of "Disney surprise" videos):

1. Parents took the kids out to lunch/dinner, telling them "We have a surrpise for you." Then they handed the kids index cards/pieces of paper (with the words WE ARE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD) written on each one (We is written on one card, ARE on another card and so on and so on). They then told the kids they had to put the cards in correct order - I could be a little off on this surprise ... the video is on youtube, though.

2. Parents told their kids for that they were going to Boston for a week (apparently, the kids really disliked Boston). The father is filming the kids at the airport and he asks his son, "Jimmy, where are we going?" Jimmy grumpily replies, "Boston". Then the father says, "Boston, huh? Well, how 'bout if we went to Disney World instead?" Kids start screaming with joy.

Fantasmic23
04-16-2008, 12:03 PM
These youtube surprises keep coming back to me. On a lot of videos where younger children are involved, I see parents giving the kids a wrapped package (usually in Mickey Mouse or other Disney-themed wrapping paper). The box usually contains clothes (pajamas, tee shirt, sweatshirt) with a Disney character on it. Some parents throw an autograph book and pen in the box, too. The kids open the box and they're like, "Oh, Disney pajamas." And the mother or father says, "Well, I thought you could wear them ... when we go to Disney World!" The best part is when the kids are like, "When are we going? When are we going?" And some of the parents say, "Right now!" or "Tonight." I love it when the parents already have the suitcases in the car!!:yay:

Emma's Dad
04-16-2008, 12:58 PM
I really wish I had thought ahead when I made plans this year to take the family to WDW. I sooooo would have thought of some scheme to surprise them. But then again... my DD(5) and I wouldn't have had all the fun making our count-down calendar.

I don't have any suggestions right now, but I'm watching this thread to see what others come up with... so I can plan the next trip :thumbsup2

Tnkrbelle565
04-16-2008, 06:19 PM
We have Tinkerbell come to our house the day we leave. She leaves a pixie dust trail to a basket of goodies for DD (autograph books, pins, glow sticks, disney pjs, a new princess costume, little toys for the plane, etc). DD now knows that when Tink comes...it's Disney Day!!!

AndyMcV
04-17-2008, 07:54 PM
....Parents told their kids for that they were going to Boston for a week (apparently, the kids really disliked Boston). The father is filming the kids at the airport and he asks his son, "Jimmy, where are we going?" Jimmy grumpily replies, "Boston". Then the father says, "Boston, huh? Well, how 'bout if we went to Disney World instead?" Kids start screaming with joy.

Hey Fantasmic23

That's funny about little Jimmy above. Thanks for the tip about YouTube videos. I didn't think about that. I'll have a look there too.

Andy

ColleenG
04-17-2008, 08:31 PM
I just posted a similar thread. We are going in October and need a fun way to tell the kids. I'm not sure telling them the night before would be possible. The pile of suit cases being packed would be too much of a give away.

One cool thing we did. Our last trip was in January, right after Christmas, so Santa Claus delivered post cards to each of us from Mickey Mouse. Mickey invited us all down for a visit. The big two were very excited. Video taping is a great idea. We have a great camera and hardly ever use it for everyday stuff. Just school shows.

Look forward to reading everyone's ideas.

We are going 3 days after DD's birthday and thought of giving her the choice of a party or trip to WDW. Knowing her she'd probably say she wants a party. Plus I'm trying not to make the trip about her birthday since the other 3 may not ever get to go on or near their birthdays.

Lesley Mahler
04-17-2008, 10:44 PM
My co-worker surprised her kids last year, her idea was great!! She told her kids that they couldn't afford a vacation this year so she booked a room at a hotel (about an hour away) with an inside pool. They were so bumbed, they asked if they could at least go to the beach and she said no, they couldn't afford it.

So the day they left, she told them they had to stop at their aunt's house to drop off the key to their house b/c she was going to check the mail, etc. She had the kids go inside to give their aunt the key and she told them there was a surprise for them...Mom had gotten the video camera out by this time. Their surprise was the rest of their luggage for WDW with a balloons tied to them that said we're going to disney world. They were in total shock and were so excited!!! I have no idea how she packed those extra luggage and got them to the aunt's house without them finding out???