PDA

View Full Version : Flotation Bathing Suits

stephen11
04-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Where can I find a flotation bathing suit for a 14-month old baby?

Thanks,
Steve

holly7347
04-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Target sells them but they aren't in the clothing section with the regular swim suits. They are in the seasonal toys section with goggles and pool toys. They also have things similar to life jackets but trimmer than can be put on over a swim suit. We generally use those so my DD's can also sit in innertubes and things like that without the jacket. Target sells those in the pool section too.

stephen11
04-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks so much Holly - I will check Target in the morning.

Steve

cole6179
04-15-2008, 08:03 PM
We always found that the floatie suits road up on our kids like a turtle shell. We switched to regular life jackets. (Target has a brand...Sterns we liked.) For my son, who was about 18 months last summer, we used the life jacket and threw on arm bands for balance and my little guy was able to swim all by himself. (w/us close by of course) The life jackets were much easier to take on and off too.

goofygal531
04-15-2008, 08:23 PM
I second the life jackets. All WDW resorts provide them at the pool, no charge. I'd pick up some water wings for balance. I got some for $2 at Buy Buy Baby.

kimob_rn
04-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Also try One Step Ahead.

strmtroopr96
04-16-2008, 02:58 AM
Our Walmart has theirs out. They are in the Pool section which in our store is near the bikes and toys.

Minniemouse07
04-16-2008, 05:43 AM
I concur about these suits riding up. We had one for dd (now 6yo) and it was a total waste of money. The suit rode up and pushed up on her neck. She was miserable in the pool.

We picked up a "bubble" from our local YMCA and swear by them now. Ds (now 2yo) has been using dd's old one for over a year or so.

It is four layers of foam with a strap woven through it that attaches around the middle of the child's torso. As the child becomes more comfortable in the water a layer is removed.

At 6yo, Dd swims better than most adults I know...and ds is right behind her!

Shelebeen
04-16-2008, 06:02 AM
My mom "fixed" our floatation suit.. we pulled out the floats and trimmed them down at the top.. then stuck them back in and did a quick stitch to keep them in. My son loves his suit...he likes the freedom it gives I guess...

Ariel8676
04-16-2008, 09:27 AM
I used the Speedo bathing suits (my girls loved them and called them their blow up bathing suits, or their pregnant lady bathing suits..lol)that Target sells for my older 2 girls and now my 2 yo is using one..at first they would put on their bathing suits and i would put swimmie arm band thingies (lol) with them until they got used to the water and learned to swim, then slowly i would take off the swimmies and then eventually take out the front blow up part from the bathing suit, then after they were comfortable the back came out..My 6 and 5 yo were both swimming on their own at 4 yo..they are great!!!