PDA

View Full Version : Stroller on plane - wear and tear?

kjs1976
04-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Just wondering how much wear and tear might happen by checking the stroller when we board the plane. We have a nice one and so does my mom. We want to bring one that has plenty of covering to keep our daughter as shaded as possible, plus recline when she needs a nap, and have storage underneath...like both mine and my mom's. Are we ok to bring ours or should I look for a used one on Craigslist to buy and bring?

Thanks!

kids1617
04-15-2008, 11:32 AM
The wear and tear is my concern too. I have a double mac and want to gate check it but i need to get a bag for it so I don't have to worry about it getting dirty. This will probably be the last time I use it so I'd like to keep it clean to sell it after our disney trip.

danx2plus3more
04-15-2008, 11:41 AM
mine squeeked after flying southwest...was never quiet again..and no it didnt need oil..dh nevercould figure it out or fix it..i paid 240 for this stroller..it wasnt ruined just irritating

nemomama
04-15-2008, 11:45 AM
I think you should always expect wear and tear on your stroller when you check it. It doesn't always happen, but you should expect it just in case. I think this is why a lot of people choose to fly with cheaper umbrella strollers, or why people have "travel" strollers. I always travel with a travel stroller I bought on craigslist since I have had two different expensive strollers damaged (one severly) by the airlines. It's a pretty good, comfortable stroller IMO, but because I didn't pay a lot for it I don't care if it gets damaged. Yeah, it sucks not having my "good" stroller on vacation, but I get over it. :)

gibsontrio
04-15-2008, 11:46 AM
can you put a trash bag over it?? do they allow this?? anyone ever do it to keep dirt off of it?

kimob_rn
04-15-2008, 11:48 AM
We took a tandem type stroller the last time we went. We didn't have any problems at all. Was easily checked in and was waiting for us when we got off. I don't recall it being extra dirty or anything. We checked it at the gate just before we boarded and it was the put into the belly of the plane after all the luggage was already on. We're doing it again this time around, but with two umbrella type strollers since my kids have outgrown the tandem.

Sheaboys
04-15-2008, 12:08 PM
I always flew with a stroller and did gate check. When we went from Massachusetts to San Diego I did check it in as luggage, and alas, our stroller bar was snapped right off and taped to the stroller. I waited in line at baggage claim for broken and lost items, filled out a report and got a check for a new stroller. I kept the stroller, and flew with it from Mass to Florida a few months later and just left it in Florida at my parents house. I bought a brand new stroller in San Diego while there, only to have that break at Legoland after using it 2x. We returned that and got our money back. Needless to say we did not buy another one after that.

goofygal531
04-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Jet Blue broke my side-by-side stroller last Nov. I think a wheel chair fell on it. There were a lot of wheel chairs being gate checked on our flight.

Basically, it's a crap shoot. You say a pray and hope for the best!:worship:

I love my new Joovy Caboose Ultralight, I hope it makes it there in one piece!

skoba-nelson
04-15-2008, 09:24 PM
We gate checked our Pliko P3. I'm glad we bought one those nylon gate check stroller bags. I did a search and found it under $20. On the way down no problem, but on the way bag our gate check bag looked as if had been dragged around outside, plus it was pouring, so it was wet. I couldn't imagine what our stroller would've looked like if we didn't have that bag.

cheerforchelsea
04-15-2008, 09:44 PM
We flew SouthWest and the stroller made it just fine!!

stopher1
04-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Our stroller was gate checked on many, many flights in the past 4 years (not just to Disney)- one of the wheels came off and couldn't be properly reattached and stay put - but that didn't deter us from bringing it along...we'd just have to pick it up every time we folded it up to get on a bus. :rotfl: Not exactly "convenient" - but a heck of a lot better than carrying a toddler around all day, or paying to rent a stroller when you have an otherwise perfectly fine one of your own. (Just MHO, BTW). Now that DD is basically out of the stroller, we're not sure we'll bring it the next time around (Oct) - but DW says we should since she doesn't think DD will be able to walk all day.... if so, we'll be sticking that wheel back on time and time again throughout the week!

You just have to expect "wear and tear" anytime you put anything into the cargo hold of a plane. Suitcases get it too, it's just par for the course.

katie111
04-16-2008, 10:35 AM
I have 3 little ones and we fly a lot. I always gate check my strollers and have never had even a scratch show up on them. I think its definitely possible that something will happen to it but I don't think its that likely as when you gate check them they're the last thing to go on the plane & the first items to come off. I personally wouldn't purchase another stroller just to fly with. Definitely bring the stroller your child is going to be most comfortable in.

goofygal531
04-16-2008, 10:37 AM
I've heard someone say they were going to bubble wrap their stroller and put it into a garbage bag at gate check. Anyone do this? I like the bubble wrap idea. I think it would protect the stroller a bit.

I can't find a padded stroller travel bag that would fit a Joovy Ultralight Caboose.

Lucille1963
04-17-2008, 12:46 PM
I had the wheel broken off of my very expensive stroller on the way home from Phoenix in Feb. We were not compensated at all by the airline. Thankfully, it was a replaceable part. I had DH call the company on the way home from the airport and had another shipped out that night. It was inconvenient and upsetting, but at least it was on the way home. I do think it is worth the risk to vacation with a nice stroller that DS is used to, but I'm sure I will be on edge about it from the time it is checked until it is returned from now on!

PEANUT1
04-17-2008, 01:00 PM
our tray on our stroller broke in flight on our last trip to disney. We duck taped it at our resort and used it the rest of our trip. I chucked it when I got home. It was only 40$ so I wasn't that upset.

moxiecola
04-17-2008, 02:56 PM
They have stroller covers at walmart with "GATE CHECK" written in big letters on the front. They were recommended to me from this board. I purchased two for my strollers.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5652241
They also have car seat covers.
Last time we went to Disney my brand new Mac came out coverd with grease. It was filthy and very upsetting since the first time using it was at the airport!

Avonlady1001
04-17-2008, 05:34 PM
We always gate check our stroller. I use a nice black stroller bag, I think it's Eddie Bauer. It was around $30. Considering I was checking a $400 stroller, it was worth the investment. The bag got torn last time we flew, but the stroller was in perfect shape. I always mean to take a few pics of the stroller right before letting it out of my sight, this way I can prove to the airline that THEY are the ones who broke it...just in case it ever does get damaged. I always forget in the rush to get on the plane.

all4fun
04-17-2008, 09:02 PM
I agree it's a crap shoot. We've come out pretty lucky on all our flights with strollers. Our most recent stroller is a jogging stroller and it has foam covered handles. The foam on one of our older strollers (ds no longer fits in) we traveled with previously was torn on one flight and while it wasn't major damage it always bugged me. So now I use bubble wrap on the handle to prevent it from happening on the new stroller. So far, on two different trips, this has worked great. Of course that won't prevent other types of damage but I figure that if it's going to be crushed or something, a bag won't protect it much anyway. Plus the one that comes with my stroller is another $80. For crying out loud that is too much.