PDA

View Full Version : We're going to Myrtle Beach next week and it's going to rain...

DebMcDonald
04-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Three kids + rain + beach and outdoor pools that we won't use + a 15 hr car drive down + no miniature golf for kids, + no tan for mommy, + no golf for hubby = miserable parents.

OK, I know I can do the aquarium, and the imax movie, but what can we do. The hotel has an indoor pool, but I have no idea what it looks like or how big it is. We're staying at the Marriott Myrtle Beach. Any other ideas. I'm now packing our cranium games from home.

keishashadow
04-15-2008, 11:40 AM
not to be a bigger downer, haven't stayed @ the marriot; but if there is any chance of lightening in the area...

the hotels usually clear the indoor pools too:confused3

not sure if they except the ones that are totally enclosed in a bldg without any shared water from outside pools...it was explained to me that if lightening strikes outside it would effect the indoor pool too in that case.

to to trip advisor & look for pics of the indoor pool:thumbsup2

the aquarium gets scary crowded when it rains, you can still enjoy the beach in a light rain; perhaps you'll get lucky & it'll just be the late afternoon showers they tend to get during the summer:wizard:

you might want to drive up to Wilmington, NC to see the battleship or down to Charleston to see their battleship area or the historic area across the bridge.

Squidrific
04-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I looked up your dates on accuweather.com and it looks like you should have great weather with the exception of rain on Thursday and Friday. You should still be able to swim in the pool as a lot of times the rain is afternoon showers that blow over pretty quickly. Even so, there should be breaks in the weather on those two days when you can do putt-putt, do the Aquarium, Imax, Stroll around Broadway at the beach. Maybe you could take a day trip down to Charleston and go through Patriot's Point http://www.patriotspoint.org/ or go through the historic district of Charleston. Also you could do the Fort Sumter tour in Charleston or the Boone Hall Plantation tour.

There are so many things to do in Myrtle Beach, rain or shine, just bring a positive outlook and have fun!

gillenkl
04-15-2008, 11:44 AM
I don't know the ages of your kids but these are indoor activities:

Dixie Stampede
Children's Museum of South Carolina
Magiquest

Lucky4me
04-15-2008, 11:56 AM
The forecasts change daily. Don't look at it until the day you leave and even then it may change. :goodvibes

SherylWrites
04-15-2008, 12:18 PM
My kids really enjoyed Magiquest at Broadway at the Beach. It was REALLY expensive however.
We enjoyed the Ripley's Aquarium. There's also a Nascar Cafe that's fun.
There must be 100 mini golf places there. I'm sure you can find one that's inside.
I'm sure you'll get some great weather days though! And when you do, you HAVE to go and take Captain Dick's Salt Marsh Tour. It was probably the most inexpensive activity we did but the most fun and interesting.

Crystal824
04-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Don't forget about the outlets. We go there when it rains.

problemchild718
04-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Why not pack a new game or two just in case-stop at the library and pick up some videos and plan a carpet picnic if it rains. Make the most of it-whens the last time you splashed around in a puddle or swam in the ocean when it rains?

raysum
04-15-2008, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't trust the weather forecasts from this far out. If it is a little rainy in the morning typically the beach isn't crowded but the beach want be busy this time of year anyway.

Have a great trip!

jamesmommy
04-15-2008, 01:12 PM
It looks like Hard Rock Theme Park will be doing soft openings as well, I am sure it will be expensive though.

Rootskate
04-15-2008, 01:24 PM
If the weather there is anything like it is in Connecticut, the forecast will likely change 2 or 3 times before you get there. I wouldn't worry about it, I bet you will be fine. :thumbsup2

tina95
04-15-2008, 01:41 PM
We spent a week at this resort or hotel a few weeks ago. It rained every day we were there. The hotel pools were great. 2 indoor pools and 2 indoor lazy rivers, also serveral indoor hot tubs. They never cleared the pool.

We had a great time. The suite was only $65 per night.

kristilew
04-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Hard Rock will be doing its "sound check" - that's what they're calling the soft opening. It will be $40 for the day. We went by last weekend and went in as far as the main crowd area and saw the model of the park. Looks like it will be fun.

Magiquest is fun for the kids - although I always need a drink after an hour in there! Luckily plenty of places nearby.;)

The Waccatee Zoo is somewhat rinkydink, but still cute and good for kids. They can get right in the bunny hutch and hold bunnies.

I didn't see if you have boys or girls. There is a Libby Lu at Broadway at the Beach where girls can get makeovers.

You can always do a charter fishing boat as well. Often it won't be raining a little offshore, and even if it is, that's good fishing weather.

You'll have fun even if it pours.

BarbR-Atlanta
04-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi Deb,
Don't despair. You are too far out to guess the weather. We just got back from Hilton Head Island (DVC!) on Sunday night. We were warned by everyone, that we would have cold, rainy miserable weather...guess what? All the books, movies, games, were never touched! The weather was beautiful, not a drop of rain. They swam, and crabbed, and walked the beach, the whole time!

As we were leaving, a chill wind started, and it IS cold in Atlanta today (although beautiful!).
Good luck, and if you don't fret about the weather, you will have a better time. After all, you can't change it!
Enjoy!

Kimberly Hill
04-15-2008, 07:28 PM
They've been wrong about our weather all week so relax! ;)

GJM
04-16-2008, 08:25 AM
I agree - they are always wrong about the weather and I also live here. Even if it does say rain, it probably won't be all day. Half the time they say rain, it doesn't rain!