PDA

View Full Version : Interesting dialogue at Kohls today...

Honeymooner04
04-14-2008, 08:08 PM
I was in Kohl's today purchasing, among a couple of other things, a pair of Little Mermaid thong sandals that light up for my two year old who was standing right with me. They are very cute, white with I think stars and shells on the top, you honestly wouldn't even know they were Little Mermaid if it weren't for the box and I think there is a picture of Ariel on the sole. The cashier is ringing up the shoes and asks my daughter about them saying something like are you getting Little Mermaid shoes? The lady behind me comments that her neighbors kids would love those as their entire house is decorated entirely with princess "crap" (no she did not use that word) and every time she goes over there she doesn't know whether to relax or to serve wine to the little girls. That comment alone was enough to make me go um, ok we're leaving now but she goes on to elaborate how tacky it is when parents feed into these little girls fantasies and how princess stuff makes the house look tacky and they are hurting the resale value of their home with these Pepto Pink bedrooms with princess "crap" all over the house. And then the cashier AGREES with her and they go back and forth comparing horror stories of the houses they've seen with pink bedrooms. Meanwhile I'm standing there with a little princess of my own trying to finish up my purchase and get the hades out of there. And just to make sure that maybe someone in earshot realizes how inappropriate they are being I say as I'm leaving, "well it's a good thing we're not planning on selling our house anytime soon. You ladies have a magical day!" :rotfl: I mean seriously! I'm not really sure there is any point to my post, I just knew there would be some Disers that would understand how I felt standing in that line today.

Bethy Lou
04-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Oh how terrible! We painted our daughters' room in our old house pink with pale purple trim and although it was not a Disney Princess bedroom there were Disney things in the room. That is so rude that they said all that because your shoes reminded them of it and that it was said with you there! How unprofessional of that saleswoman! I hope your daughter did not understand the extent of their conversation.

Octoberbabiesrus
04-14-2008, 08:15 PM
um wow.

As someone that BOUGHT a house with dear god pepto pink walls, I can account for this, THINK neutral when you sell your home. DARK and BRIGHT colors make a lot of buyers run. My walls took 5 coats to get it covered from this:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o139/IrishDad/House-1498/Playroom/HPIM2300.jpg

To get it to this:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o139/IrishDad/House-1498/Playroom/HPIM2384.jpg

DVCsince02
04-14-2008, 08:17 PM
OMG! Our DDs room is so pink it's flourescent pepto, but she loves it.

Bethy Lou
04-14-2008, 08:33 PM
We definitely painted everything neutral before we sold it, but we certainly wanted them to have a room they loved when they were in it.

wishtdream
04-14-2008, 09:28 PM
um wow.

As someone that BOUGHT a house with dear god pepto pink walls, I can account for this, THINK neutral when you sell your home. DARK and BRIGHT colors make a lot of buyers run. My walls took 5 coats to get it covered from this:

The people that sold us our house used that exact color .. it bled right through the primer and we had to rip out the walls and start fresh.

StephMK
04-14-2008, 09:37 PM
How rude & what inappropriate language to use around kids! So kids aren't allowed fantasies & dreams? What a sad reality that woman must lead. My kids' have had shocking rooms & loved them. Nothing some primer hasn't fixed later. Right now, DD14 has BRIGHT bubble gum pink walls. Like a friend told me, let them have their spaces exactly how they want, soon enough they'll be on their own & you can re-decorate. I'm dreading that day.

I hope your DD enjoys her pretty new shoes! Both those women should have known better than to be so inconsiderate.

roliepolieoliefan
04-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Well when we moved to our new house last September, DH painted DD's (4) room alternating pink and purple walls. Even used the Disney paint. And a pink rug to boot, with the stick-on princesses all over the walls.

DS (9) has everything in his room , blue. Blue wall, blue rug with a space theme.

How rude of those woman. Maybe they're both jealous because they don't have a Princess room. :rolleyes1

ChristusG
04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Wow, the nerve of those women. Sounds like they could have used a little princess in their upbringing as children......maybe they wouldnt be so grumpy today! :wizard:

Schmeck
04-15-2008, 06:28 AM
We bought a pink house... Pink wall to wall upstairs (thank goodness we had two girls) pepto pink in the diningroom... The pepto is gone, the carpet is now 'dusty rose', LOL!

The comments at the register were uncalled for, but some people think they know everything, and that woman's life is probably in shreds right now if she's worried that much about somebody else's interior house colors, enough that she rants on about it. Feel sorry for her neighbors!

eliza61
04-15-2008, 07:35 AM
I think I've got you all beat. When I was growing up it was the beginning of the "Disco era" (so you know it's going to be bad). I decide to paint the ceiling of my room black and get the "day glo" paint and draw star, moons and astrology signs on top of the black paint. The what you did is get a "Black light" and the whole thing glowed. The walls were this hideous orange paint.

I swear my parents must have popping prozac to get through my teen years.

#1 Pocahontas
04-15-2008, 07:52 AM
How rude of those woman. Maybe they're both jealous because they don't have a Princess room. :rolleyes1

Just what I was thinking!!

My girls are fully enjoying their princess rooms, and I am too quite honestly! I can understand wanting to keep your house nice for resale but to me that means don't put holes in the walls. LOL When it comes to the decor I would much rather enjoy it they way I want to instead of worrying about someone who may or may not buy it years down the road.

MamaOfTwoPrincesses
04-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Gees. Those women were beyond rude, and it sounds like the woman in line was also using very inappropriate language that the OP cleaned up. In front of a 2 year old. Nice.

I think a pink or purple room is completely appropriate for a little girl. When we moved into our house, there had been 2 little girls living here. But one room was dark "goldenrod yellow." BLECH! And the other room was white with a weird ABC wallpaper border. On one wall, every family member had left their hand print in RED paint! (And I'm talking grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins!) It was just WEIRD! :confused3 Oh, and one bathroom was dark sludge grey. There was also dark forest green carpet throughout the entire upstairs.

So we put soft sage green carpet in the girls' roooms and hallway. The yellow room became a lovely periwinkle, to match with DD's PBK bedding. In one light the walls look light lavendar, but if you used more blue in the room, they would look like light blue. We painted the handprint room light green, as we were expecting, but did not know what we were having, and we did not want to look at those red handprints any more! We did end up with another girl, but the green walls stayed. Her nursery bedding is laevendar, but her soon to be big girl bedding will be pink. The green is a nice neutral. Oh, and the sludge grey bathroom got some extra periwinkle!

Anyway, little girls should be allowed to be little girls. Mine sure are little princesses, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :love: princess:

Abharmagic
04-15-2008, 08:32 AM
We painted over DD's Pepto room when we put it on the market. While I don't agree with the vocal discourse and rudeness of the ladies at Khols- I DO see the need for neutral decor when selling.

princessreilly
04-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Well I just wanted to add that I love the pink decor! To each his own, they say. I always wanted a pink room and now dd has one. We already painted her new room pink as well for our new house! :lovestruc Sorry about your experience-some people can be a bit grumpy at times:confused3

bubba
04-15-2008, 09:17 AM
I completely understand wanting a neutral decor when selling your home - our current home had a bilious pepto pink bedroom. When it comes down to it, though, you have to LIVE in your home, not just preserve it for possible future resale. Enjoy the pinks and the purples and the oranges now and plan on a coat of primer before listing for resale ! And I have run into so many adults (mostly women, now that I think of it) who curse, swear and otherwise speak inappropriately around kids it's ridiculous ! We have neighbours with teenage boys (about 13 and 17). The boys tone down their language when my sons are outside playing, but their mom cusses like a sailor ! Charming !

eeyorefan74
04-15-2008, 09:37 AM
This makes me think of the Last Lecture guy. He talks about letting your children paint/draw whatever they want on the walls of their room. His mom still lives in the house he grew up in and his drawings are still there. I thought that was so sweet. Kids are only little once, and I say let them express themselves however they want in their space. I guess that's why I have a bright purple bathroom in my house!

Honeymooner04
04-15-2008, 11:49 AM
I just couldn't get over the fact that they didn't even make the connection that I was there WITH my daughter who at the moment is still in her Winne the Pooh nursery but will soon be upgrading to a full on princess big girl room. Apparently that makes me tacky! :rotfl:

I mean isn't painting your home one of the benefits of home ownership? And what business of theirs is it what color people paint their little girls rooms? Their conversation was about as appropriate as if I had turned around and commented on the clothes she was buying looked tacky.

Glad some fellow Disers agree with me that their little exchange was inappropriate. You ladies have a magical day!!!!

karajeboo
04-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Hmmm, our house is for sale now and we've got a 50/50 shot at someone coming in with a little girl who just might love this!!!

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj94/karajeboo/AllysRoom4-1.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj94/karajeboo/AllysRoom2-1.jpg

Our realtor had several great comments on this, and while I told him we could paint it, I would hate to see all my hard work covered up!!!!!

As for the women in Kohl's I think the language is what would upset me the most with my DD right there! And what should someone care about the resale value of someone's house if a) it's not for sale, and b) it's not even theirs!!!

Honeymooner04
04-15-2008, 01:41 PM
karajeboo: I love, love, love your daughter's room!!!! That's exactly what I had in mind for when we redo K.'s room. Did you use a stencil? Please tell me you didn't freehand that or I'm toast!

It looks great! I don't blame you I wouldn't want to cover it up either!

julm26
04-15-2008, 02:01 PM
We just got back from buying pale purple paint for my DD3 new room!! Then we are getting a princess quilt, and pink and purple throw rugs - I am having a ball doing it. They are only little once!!!

emma'smom
04-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Our dd5 has a pink room (not Disney)...just pink with the "I Love Daisies" PBK theme. I painted it pepto pink and sponged dusty pink over it when she was just a baby. It is still beautiful! I don't think it will effect resale...but if it does, we'll worry about that later. Leaving everything blah for the entire time live in a house doesn't make sense....chances are you'll have to refresh it for resale. THEN you can go neutral if needed.

bumbershoot
04-15-2008, 02:18 PM
I just couldn't get over the fact that they didn't even make the connection that I was there WITH my daughter who at the moment is still in her Winne the Pooh nursery but will soon be upgrading to a full on princess big girl room. Apparently that makes me tacky! :rotfl:

I mean isn't painting your home one of the benefits of home ownership?

Yeah, there was a disconnect there, most definitely.

And my friends did always tell me that painting was one of the reasons they wanted to buy homes. And then they never did paint in their fun colors, b/c it's too hard to get it back to neutral when they wanted to sell. :confused3

RMulieri
04-15-2008, 02:56 PM
What is with people?what does it matter. what someone does to the inside of their home? I do admit I get strange looks because my Dd's playroom ( on the first floor next to the front door) is Pink and girly.I am going to redo it soon, but only because I am claiming that front room as my own library /piano room.DD gets a basement playroom. I give you credit , you were alot nicer than I would have been. I would have said " and this is your buisness why exactly", " oh thats right it isn't your buisness"..ah people

java
04-15-2008, 03:13 PM
I have to say that our last house sold BECAUSE of the pink living room. And it was a pretty bold pink for a living room. But they walked in and fell in love with it. (it helped that they had a 4 year old daughter that loved it too)They were the only people to see it because they bought it on the spot!
SO PAINT AWAY! If you love it someone else will too.

karajeboo
04-15-2008, 03:16 PM
karajeboo: I love, love, love your daughter's room!!!! That's exactly what I had in mind for when we redo K.'s room. Did you use a stencil? Please tell me you didn't freehand that or I'm toast!

It looks great! I don't blame you I wouldn't want to cover it up either!

Thank you! I think I got the stencils at Lowes. It took me 23 hours to do the entire room!!!! Because I could only do parts of each word and then wait until the paint dried to lay the stencil back down with a different letter. But I was so excited when it was finished. It was the hardest part about leaving that house!!!!

Grumpy'sWife
04-15-2008, 03:20 PM
I gotta agree with Karajeboo, there's a very good chance someone buying your house will like your girly rooms.

When we sold our last house older DD's room was a lovely periwinkle color. Usually we left the house when prospective buyers were coming to see it but there was no warning when one agent came by with a couple. As they were leaving the wife told me, "I love the way you decorated your little girl's room!" We never changed the color and had no trouble selling it.

And in our current house we have a pink room and a purple room. My girls are so happy with the colors and decor they picked, I wouldn't dream of changing anything.

As for that horrible lady at the store, I think somebody's been putting something other than pixie dust in her cereal bowl. :rolleyes1

_queenie_
04-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Though I don't agree with what they were saying, I suppose those ladies have a right to say that in private, but certainly not in front of you and your little girl. Saying that with you there basically is implying that you are messing up your daughter's life and turning her into a spoiled brat by buying her a cute little pair of sandals. :rolleyes:

I don't see anything wrong with little girls liking pink and princesses. For a long time, before the mass production of disney princess merchandise and even the movies, girls have been known for wanting to be a prrincess, I know I sure did. Would they be mad because all of the sports products (clothing, toys) available to boys because "they're creating unrealistic dreams of them becoming a professional athletes"? :confused3

The only conclusion I can come to at why they would be compelled to say such is maybe because they're jealous they did not have princess toys when they were young, once again I'm not not sure. It's very rare that you hear a woman complain about pink, I never outgrew pink (though I have matured up to my favorite color being turquoise, still pink isn't far behind), my bathroom's pink, I just plan on painting it beige when we move!

By the way, when my DD13 was 2 or 3 she was wearing a Barbie t-shirt one day when I was at the dentist and the receptionist had to make some rude comment about Barbie, I'm sure puposefully after she saw my daughter!

wlwilliams9
04-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Those women would hate my house!
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj64/wlwilliams9/DSC00322.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj64/wlwilliams9/DSC00325.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj64/wlwilliams9/DSC00324.jpg
:rotfl:

Cinderelli16
04-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Wow! Why is it so wrong for little girls to dream and have fanatasies? I mean it's only normal. Is she jealous or something? I mean come on what does she want them to act like? 20 year olds? I find it adorable when little girls are into that kind of stuff. Every normal little girl loves princesses, I did, my 3 year old cousin does, and your daughter too. I just find it dumb! It is none of her business why does she care? :confused3

myAAbatteries&aTD
04-15-2008, 05:42 PM
You're living in YOUR house and it's YOUR HOME! You should not have to be constantly thinking about resell value - whatever makes you and your princess happy WHILE you're there is what you should do! My girls had a pale pink bedroom before we moved into our new house and I LOVED it and so did they. We're still neutral here and it just doesn't feel as homey or personal right now (we were still thinking "resale value", but I'm tired of thinking that and want it pale pink again!), even though they do have princess stuff in it......

VERY rude of those women - they just need some magic! :wizard:

nicolemomof4cuties
04-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Some people are just rude:sad2:

I remember my parents renting a house when I was in the 3rd grade and being so excited because my bedroom was painted my favorite color (usually rentals are white)- shocking pink! So to each their own....

My girls's walls are paintes alternatly lt. green and lavendar and my boys walls are painted lt watery blue and lt. mossy green alternatly. We always get alot of compliments. But if we sell we can always paint them neutral colors for the buyers. We don't have a white wall in the house. My DH's Studio is LIME GREEN!:banana:

maxiesmom
04-15-2008, 06:27 PM
After your recipt prints, a "Tell us what you think" form prints. I would go to the Kohl's site and tell them about their rude cashier. There is no excuse for profanity on the salesfloor, and the fact that it was used in front of a child is dispicable. That cashier needs to be retrained, moved, or fired.

Kcross3625
04-15-2008, 06:44 PM
We bought our house because it had pink walls! I was pregnant at the time and knew I was having a girl so we feel in love with the room 10 years later DD still loves her pink room!

Kim

strmtroopr96
04-16-2008, 04:22 AM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/strmtroopr96/SeptembertoDecember2007Pics278.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/strmtroopr96/SeptembertoDecember2007Pics277.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/strmtroopr96/SeptembertoDecember2007Pics301.jpg

Yeah, her walls are seriously bright NEON green just about!! LOL The color didn't look that bright when we were looking at the paint chip. :lmao:

Oh and that pink tutu is listed over on the "Come Trade With Us" thread on the Budget Board in case anyone is interested. It is perfect for your littlest Princess to wear to WDW. Avery only wore it for that picture to show the person who gave it to her. I am thinking a Sleeping Beauty patch or something similar would be cute.

Come check out the thread...we could use some new posters over there! We have lots of goodies for trade there! :goodvibes

FayeW
04-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Well since they weren't actually talking to you, or discussing your decorating style, I don't really see why you are offended. The customer using bad language in front of a child could use some lessons in social skills, but other than that it was just two people having a conversation. I would have been cross that the cashier was carrying on a conversation with another customer instead of concentrating on me, but they are entitled to their opinions.

srwarden1928
04-16-2008, 10:52 AM
When we added a dining room onto our house I told my wife anything but beige (too much house hunting & EVERYTHING is beige) and of course she knew I HATE orange. The dining room has purple carpet & purple walls. The extra "bed"room has purple carpet & blue walls. We like it that way. I intend to be carried out of this house feet first.

mantysk8coach
04-16-2008, 11:08 AM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/strmtroopr96/SeptembertoDecember2007Pics278.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/strmtroopr96/SeptembertoDecember2007Pics277.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/strmtroopr96/SeptembertoDecember2007Pics301.jpg

Yeah, her walls are seriously bright NEON green just about!! LOL The color didn't look that bright when we were looking at the paint chip. :lmao:

Oh and that pink tutu is listed over on the "Come Trade With Us" thread on the Budget Board in case anyone is interested. It is perfect for your littlest Princess to wear to WDW. Avery only wore it for that picture to show the person who gave it to her. I am thinking a Sleeping Beauty patch or something similar would be cute.

Come check out the thread...we could use some new posters over there! We have lots of goodies for trade there! :goodvibes

Love it! Our living room is that color! We found matching pillows, a rug, lamps, etc. at IKEA. And our daughters room is bright purple with Tinkerbelle accessories.

I totally agree that while your home is yours, you need to live in it and make it your own. People can always paint over it! I don't understand why people get so weird about what color walls are when they buy a house. When you are spending $100,000 - $500,000 to buy a new home, whats another $30 for a can of paint to paint the walls whatever color you want them?

Ariel8676
04-16-2008, 11:16 AM
That was very rude, but you handled it the right way. My girls have "Princess pink" rooms and my oldest has (what was once a Tink room) Purple walls with bright green trim..it is now Hannah Montana and it is adorable..
Let little girls be just that ..little girls..honestly kids today grow up WAY too fast..let them live the fairytale for as longas you can!!!!!!!!

nicolemomof4cuties
04-16-2008, 11:55 AM

My DH's studio is that color and 2 of the 4 walls in my DD's room area step down from that color. We LOVE it!

Tink*My*World
04-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Boy, those "ladies" would not like my DD room. It has a TinkerBell theme. Dark blue ceiling with sparkles, Pinkish purple walls, light green trim and TinkerBells on the walls.:woohoo:

flipflop
04-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I don't think the woman should have used that language in front of a child. I just finished my DD's (3) room and it is pepto pink. I love it and she loves it. She is only going to be little once and I got a tremendous amount of joy painting that room for her (DH helped but he doesn't really get the whole pink thing). If we sell our house, the new owners can repaint if they don't like pink. I've repainted/stripped wall paper in two homes. I'm not going to allow resale to keep my kids from having fun rooms.

Girldreamer02
04-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Those women would hate my house!
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj64/wlwilliams9/DSC00322.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj64/wlwilliams9/DSC00325.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj64/wlwilliams9/DSC00324.jpg
:rotfl:

I LOVE this room! I love all the pictures of the rooms everyone has shown. I had wallpaper in my room growing up. It had bears on it and not that I didn't love it, but now my fave color is pink so these rooms are pretty awesome. Sorry you had that experience at kohls. Some people think everything is their business and they need to run everyones lives. I hope some day when I am ready to have children that I have a little girl so I can paint her room pink! I know I'm going to have a boy though because I want a girl so gosh darn bad. :)

cheerforchelsea
04-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Every little Princess deserves a Princess Room if she wants one!!!princess:

nessz79
04-16-2008, 02:39 PM
That's crazy! I didn't read the other posts, but I hope you complain to the manager. People should not talk that way around little children...not to mention the horrible customer service.

DevilDuckie
04-16-2008, 06:58 PM
But one room was dark "goldenrod yellow." BLECH! And the other room was white with a weird ABC wallpaper border. On one wall, every family member had left their hand print in RED paint! (And I'm talking grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins!) It was just WEIRD!

You know, this comment was pretty similar to the ones those ladies made about pink rooms. We had rooms that were yellow or red when I was a kid. It's no more "weird" or "BLECH" than pink- just a different set of aesthetic values.

strmtroopr96
04-16-2008, 10:58 PM
When we added a dining room onto our house I told my wife anything but beige (too much house hunting & EVERYTHING is beige) and of course she knew I HATE orange. The dining room has purple carpet & purple walls. The extra "bed"room has purple carpet & blue walls. We like it that way. I intend to be carried out of this house feet first.

LOL My cousin painted her whole kitchen in her old apartment a lavender purple...trim and everything!

Honeymooner04
04-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Well since they weren't actually talking to you, or discussing your decorating style, I don't really see why you are offended. The customer using bad language in front of a child could use some lessons in social skills, but other than that it was just two people having a conversation. I would have been cross that the cashier was carrying on a conversation with another customer instead of concentrating on me, but they are entitled to their opinions.

I was offended because my daughter was standing there, who is very much a princess fan and has every right to be and these two women were having a very loud and obvious conversation that princess "crap" was trashy and tacky. Luckily she was more interested in twirling than listening but she was obviously excited about her princess shoes and was wearing a princess shirt and I absolutely think it was inappropriate for those women to go on the way they were. You can have whatever opinion you want but it is RUDE to trash talk someone elses purchases and taste to complete strangers in a department store.

nessz79
04-17-2008, 06:49 AM
I was offended because my daughter was standing there, who is very much a princess fan and has every right to be and these two women were having a very loud and obvious conversation that princess "crap" was trashy and tacky. Luckily she was more interested in twirling than listening but she was obviously excited about her princess shoes and was wearing a princess shirt and I absolutely think it was inappropriate for those women to go on the way they were. You can have whatever opinion you want but it is RUDE to trash talk someone elses purchases and taste to complete strangers in a department store.

I totally agree with you. Maybe you can consider writing a letter to the manager? I think it's also in the store's best interest to know about something like this.

#1 Pocahontas
04-17-2008, 07:32 AM
I like looking at all the rooms people have posted so far. I'd love to see more of everyones dd's rooms. :)

Nom
04-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I totally understand how you would be offended, and the people had no right to use foul language in front of a child, or insult princesses in front of a little girl who loves princesses.

That being said, I can see how they feel the way they do. Personally, I don't like princesses either, and I am glad my dd is not into them. If she liked them, that would be fine, but I am glad she does not. She got a princess book for her birthday one year, and you don't really realize how much almost every princess story revolves around winning the heart of a man... that's not the message that I really want my dd to grow up thinking is the most important thing in life.

So although they should not have expressed it the way they did, I can understand where they are coming from. I was not even going to post on this thread until I saw this quote:

Every normal little girl loves princesses

When the opinion of most people echos that of the pper, if you are one of the few moms with daughters who does not like princesses it can get a little annoying that everyone assumes that all little girls love princesses, and they are not normal if they don't.

just my opinion!

Nom
04-17-2008, 01:34 PM
PS and my daughter is clamoring for a pink room, so I am sure I will be doing that sometime this year. Does that make her more normal? (j/k)