PDA

View Full Version : To Rent a car or not??

teag_98
04-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but I couldn't figure out quite where to post it! We are going to WDW for the last week of June for the first time. Myself, my DH, my DD (3) and my DS (turning 10 while there:goodvibes ) will be going.

As I said, it's our first time, and for financial reasons may be our only time to go to WDW. That said, we want to make the most of our trip, and do as much as we can. We are staying at ASMo.

Sooooooooooo, is it much more convenient/worth it to have your own car while there? I know the Disney Trans. is free, but we are planning to go back to our room in the afternoons, and I don't want to waste too much precious time on buses. From what I've read, the only park that a car might not be more convenient is when traveling to the MK, but I could be misunderstanding something.

I would truly appreciate some advice from you veterans out there...I'm a little lost with all the planning! Thanks in advance for any help you may give:hug:

Herewecomeagain
04-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Don’t waist your hard earned $$ on a car rental. Disney transportation is fine and we have never had any problems. Yes depending on when you leave the parks at night or going to the parks in the morning, you may have a wait. But waiting is expected. We always head back to our room for a swim (nap when the kids were younger) in the middle of the afternoon. Transportation issues then are definitely no problem. The only way I would get a car is if I plan on traveling outside of the property. Have a great time…

07/2008 POFQ, 07/2008 ASMo, 2007 Off Site, 2007 Off Site, 2006 PC, 2005 CBR, 2005 Off Site, 2004 Off Site, 2003 WL, 2002 ASMo, 2002 Off Site, 2001 AKL, 2000 Off Site, 1999 AS Sport, 1998 POR, 1997 Off Site, 1995 ASM, 1991 Off Site, 1990 Off Site, 1988 Off Site, 1985 Off Site, 1983 Off Site, 1982 Off Site, 1981 Off Site, 1980 Off Site, 1974 FW, 1972 Off Site.

bzzymom
04-14-2008, 01:16 PM
If you are planning to visit other Orlando attractions like Sea World or Universal Studios you may want to rent a car. If you are going to stay on property, and are on a budget, I wouldn't mess with the rental car at all. On our last trip, we weren't leaving property and we didn't rent a car. I don't feel like we missed out on anything at all. Yes, they are busy at the end of the day, but still is not worth the expense of a rental car.

Disney_Dani
04-14-2008, 01:21 PM
I know there are people out there who have strong positive feelings about Disney Transportation.

BUT...In my opinion, a few hundred dollars for a car is completely worth my time that I save by renting a car. I've always rented a car from Alamo, always for 8 or 9 days, and have never paid more than $150. If you just start looking now and keep checking sale fares, you can find great prices. Granted, that's not for a van or anything. We usually get a small suv or small car. A few tips I have to save $$ on the rental are to use a coupon from the entertainment book or check the "hot deals" coupons on the website, and use the prepay option (for Alamo). I have never used Disney Transportation for an entire trip, but I have used it during trips to test it out and I'm not patient enough to wait for a bus, then wait for ecv's or wheelchairs to load, then wait for other stops, etc. Renting a car gives you the freedom to drive to any restaurant ADR's, you can go off property to the Wal Mart or Publix, parking is free at the parks if you stay on property, and you just get everywhere so much quicker.

teag_98
04-15-2008, 09:00 AM
You've all given me lots to think about! I checked the Alamo site, and the price they are quoting me for an 8 day rental is almost $300, for an economy size! EEK! :scared1: I will watch for sales though, if I could get one for $150, that would be doable, but I can't imagine finding that deal!

Thanks again!:lovestruc

~Kristina~
04-15-2008, 09:10 AM
We've never rented a car, we've always used the DME. That way we didn't have to worry about having money for the car, taking car seats, and all that jazz. DME is so easy and fun for the kids! My kids love the video on the bus.

Bethy Lou
04-15-2008, 09:13 AM
We live close enough to drive, but we rarely drive to the parks and the only time we have driven off site was when we had to go to walmart on a late Sunday night to get our flat tire fixed! I would not waste the money on a car rental and just use Disney transportation.

*KeepMovingForward*
04-15-2008, 09:28 AM
A rental car is definitely nice and totally convenient, but if finances are an issue, I wouldn't make a rental car a priority. The first time I took my kids to Disney we were on an extreme budget and a rental car was not in the cards. There was no ME back then and the Disney busses were nothing like they are today. We stayed at AS Sports and we never seemed to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes for a bus. If we had to do disney again without the benefit of a car, I wouldn't bat an eye over doing it like that again. Remember too...if you have a car, your going to have to pay to park at the parks unless you have an AP.

teag_98
04-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Not sure what that is:blush:, but I thought that parking was free if you're a resort guest?:confused:

*KeepMovingForward*
04-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Not sure what that is:blush:, but I thought that parking was free if you're a resort guest?:confused:

AP is annual pass. But your right...I forgot, parking is free for on property guests. Sometimes we stay off property, so that is why that popped into my brain. sorry if I confused you!

Disneygirl26
04-15-2008, 10:19 AM
I know there are people out there who have strong positive feelings about Disney Transportation.

BUT...In my opinion, a few hundred dollars for a car is completely worth my time that I save by renting a car. I've always rented a car from Alamo, always for 8 or 9 days, and have never paid more than $150. If you just start looking now and keep checking sale fares, you can find great prices. Granted, that's not for a van or anything. We usually get a small suv or small car. A few tips I have to save $$ on the rental are to use a coupon from the entertainment book or check the "hot deals" coupons on the website, and use the prepay option (for Alamo). I have never used Disney Transportation for an entire trip, but I have used it during trips to test it out and I'm not patient enough to wait for a bus, then wait for ecv's or wheelchairs to load, then wait for other stops, etc. Renting a car gives you the freedom to drive to any restaurant ADR's, you can go off property to the Wal Mart or Publix, parking is free at the parks if you stay on property, and you just get everywhere so much quicker.

I totally agree, if you could swing the cost get the rental car, the wait for the buses during the busy times could be anywhere from 20mins to a hour, we always get a rental car even when we stay on property and it saves us a ton of time.

cheerforchelsea
04-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Don't waste your money!!! We always drive to WDW and once the car is parked at the resort it is hardly ever moved again until time to go home!! The bus transportation is not bad - in fact by the time you ride the shuttle to your car that is parked in the MK/Epcot/etc lot you could already be on the bus back to your resort. I have done Disney MANY times - and a rental car is a waste of $$. There is a rental agency on Disney property so if something comes up and you have an urgent need for a car you can always get one there - but just back and forth to parks....take the bus!! Have a great trip!!!:wizard:

LoveKermit
04-15-2008, 12:47 PM
My DH insists on renting a car. And it is convenient. The first time we went together it was June and HOT! We rode the hot, crowded bus once and drove the car the rest of the week. In Aug last year, we did do a couple things off property. However, we belong to Costco and now always rent with our Costco membership. I think we paid $40-some dollars for our 5 days at Alamo.

Also the Entertainment Book has discounts.

My in-laws tend to rent cars and never use them on-property. Maybe that's where DHs mentality comes from.

As DD gets older, I may suggest Disney Transportation. Good luck!

powellrj
04-15-2008, 02:58 PM
You get both answers! We always rent a car even when we stay on-site because we like having a car! We like getting in the car and driving to wherever it is we want to go. My family took a bus once when I took the car to the outlet stores and they went to AK, they were so hot from waiting for the bus they said never again would they take a bus to any park and we always drive.

Camno's Mama
04-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Go to www.mousesavers.com to look up her codes for rental car places. I have had luck with that. I have never paid 300. I think we're paying around 200 this time for a week with a sedan or something. I have had a lot of luck with Dollar. But definitely check out her codes, and then just go to the different websites and try different variations.

teag_98
04-15-2008, 03:11 PM
I know what you mean about getting both answers!! I will check out mousesavers.com and see what we come up with. I'm still kind of on the fence...we live in the Caribbean so you wouldn't think the heat would be an issue, but we are TOTALLY not used to humidity!! :beach: So we may faint waiting for buses!!

Thanks you guys, :disrocks:

SmallWorld71
04-15-2008, 05:34 PM
You will definitely get both answers. What always cracks me up though, is that a # of times I have driven to Disney (like when I'm visiting grandparents in Southwest Florida) and even when we have a car we almost never use it! Even when we have a car, we only use it to travel to an early breakfast at another resort. Otherwise, we take Disney transportation. We don't like to drive on vacation! But, everyone is different and an argument could be made either way.

all4fun
04-15-2008, 06:24 PM
We stayed at ASMo in Fall 2006. It was a spur of the moment trip to take advantage of the free dining offered during that time period. Just to give you a little background, we usually stay at BWV because we are DVC members which is w/in walking distance to two parks, and when we take the buses to MK and AK they are typically not too overcrowded unless using them during peak times.... When we stayed at ASMo by the 2nd or 3rd day I wanted to rent a car soooo badly! But the trip was on a shoestring budget as it was, so we just stuck it out and used the bus system. Normally we don't mind using the buses when we stay at the Boardwalk...but the value resorts were so crowded during that time and the buses were always jam packed. There was always a huge line of people waiting at the bus depots at the end of the day, and it was really an unpleasant experience, IMO. ASMo is about as far from the parks as you can get while still staying on property. If you want to take mid day breaks, definitely rent a car!

You can use DME to get from the airport to the hotel and rent a car off airport property which can save you on tax $$.

http://www.mousesavers.com/alamo.html
Alamo also has locations on the Walt Disney World property at the Car Car Center, Dolphin Hotel near Disney's BoardWalk and Buena Vista Palace near Downtown Disney.

http://www.mousesavers.com/national.html
National also has locations on the Walt Disney World property at the Car Car Center, Dolphin Hotel near Disney's BoardWalk and Buena Vista Palace near Downtown Disney.

Also, when it comes to All Stars resorts this reviewer on , Frommers (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/waltdisneyworld/H31198.html)agrees with me (and I wish I had seen this LOL)
Like its two siblings, the All-Star Movies Resort is pretty isolated in WDW's southwest corner. If, like the White Rabbit, you're often "late for a very important date," renting a car is a far better choice than the Disney Transportation System.

hth!

teag_98
04-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Ok, I just checked using some of the codes from Mousesavers (great site!) and it looks like I get one for around $200....and I found charts in UG that give times for driving vs. Disney buses. Almost all destinations look like it takes less time to drive except MK. That said, I'm a true country bumpkin and have no idea if I can find my way around WDW!!!:scared: Just another thing to consider...I need to make a list of pros and cons!
Thanks everyone!