PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Aquarium

wife5080
04-13-2008, 07:35 AM
On our way down to Disney in June we have a planned stop at the Georgia Aquarium for a family sleepover in the aquarium. Has anyone done this?

alloyd1170
04-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Havent done it, but you will probably want to get tickets ahead of time (visit their website), even if you're just visiting for the day.

ave&audsmom
04-13-2008, 11:58 AM
We're in Atlanta & I can tell you that you must get a morning reservation time for the aquarium....like first thing in the morning. They let so many people in at, say, 9am. Then more at 9:20....and so on. By the afternoon, it's packed. So, my only advice is reserve your spot early. The new World of Coke is next door, so you may want to check that out too. If you do decide to go to World of Coke, make sure you try the Beverly drink in the samples room....it's nothing like anything you've ever tried before!

roxannex
04-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Oh, this is funny because my husband and I recently returned from a short trip to Atlanta and visited the aquarium. We could not stop laughing because the mascot for the aquarium is this little orange fish named DEEPO!!!! It's really so sad it's kind of funny. They are totally ripping off Disney and we also wondered if it was a Home Depot reference since Home Depot is headquartered in Atlanta.

(We weren't big fans of the aquarium. We thought it was very overpriced. BUT we weren't with our child. And we didn't do a sleepover. Don't want to be Grinchy. Just could not get over the Deepo/Nemo thing!)

tadamom
04-13-2008, 12:35 PM
I second the suggestion of getting your tickets for a very early time slot. In the summertime, tickets tend to sell out quickly and it can get very crowded.

On the Deepo thing, it most likely is b/c of Home Depot. The man that donated all of the funding for the aquarium is the founder of Home Depot. I'm not 100% sure but fairly sure.

Carnator
04-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Yep, he donated 200 million

GaSleepingBeautyFan
04-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Save your money and don't do it.
It's hard to get into because they only let so many people in at a time and it's ridiculously crowded.

I've told my DH that we may never go again. The kids were even disappointed because they couldn't see anything. I felt really bad for the person in the wheelchair trying to see things who was there the same time we were. I made my kids move out of the way for her and 2 other kids just shoved their way in front of her.

The Aquarium in Chattanooga TN is a much better deal for a day visit - especially since there are 2 buildings now. Plus it's not as stupidly crowded as the GA Aquarium.

glass slipper girl
04-14-2008, 12:25 AM
we have a planned stop at the Georgia Aquarium for a family sleepover in the aquarium. Has anyone done this?

My sons just did a sleepover with my Dad this past weekend! My Dad wanted to take them to do something special just with him and this is what they decided on. My sons both loved it! When they were dropped back off at home on Sunday morning and I asked how it went the first thing the younger one said was "can we go do it again?" They slept "with the Tiger sharks" and thought that was really cool. They talked about it all day and can't wait to tell their friends about it. We have season passes to the aquarium and go maybe 3 times a year. It's a nice little air conditioned something to do on a hot summer afternoon or on a rainy day. They like going for a regular visit but they don't love going. They don't ask to go back again right away but they seem happy when I say "we're going to the aquarium today!", that sort of thing. I was not sure what they would think of the sleepover because of this but they had a fantastic time and definitely want to go again! My Dad said it was really well run and he would definitely recommend it.

brightvalleyjrts
04-14-2008, 07:03 AM
We went to the aquarium last April, and we totally loved it. It is amazing. Both of my kids loved it and we can't wait to go again.

left210
04-14-2008, 07:39 AM
We havent done the sleepover but did go to the Aquarium last summer and my DS6 loved it.

glass slipper girl
04-14-2008, 09:03 PM
I just wanted to add that if you are doing the sleep over, don't worry about the crowded concerns. You'll have plenty of time to see the exhibits and lots of behind the scenes stuff on the sleep over so the crowds won't be an issue for you. :)

snoopy5386
04-14-2008, 09:46 PM
haven't done the sleepover but we visited a few weeks ago. I was there from 10 am - 3 pm (DD napped in the stroller and I read a book). I didn't think it was super crowded at all. We went on a weekday though.

lastminutemom
04-15-2008, 04:42 AM
Deepo for Depot because one of the founders of Home Depot gave (and is still giving) 200 million + for the aquarium. The GA Aquarium was a gift to the people of Atlanta.

I have heard awesome things about the sleepover.

For those who want to just visit during the day, try going later in the day on a weekday... the crowds have generally thinned.