PDA

View Full Version : How much spending money to take? OCD is starting!!

sweetheart_usa
04-12-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm freaking out a little (LOT!!). Airline tickets,park tickets and hotel are already paid. Vehicle rental is the only thing I'll have to pay for after the trip. We are staying off site so we'll be paying for meals at parks.
I've purchased $100 gift cards for my kids plus they are taking $150-200 in cash for souveniors (spelling).
Does anyone have an idea on what is a reasonable amount of $$ we'll need for food, etc.?
Last time I went it were 3 of us and now there will be 5. I can't remember how much money I spent!!
Anyone out there willing to share the amount of spending money they are taking with??

deb24k
04-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Well, we use the DDP and we like to eat table service meals at least once per day. For a family of four would spend $150 - $200 per day on food, sometimes more if we choose some of the higher end restaurants. Last trip we took $1,800.00 for eight days with the DDP already paid for. We used part of that for an additional day at Sea World, but we tend to go all out when we vacation. We typically save our money for 6 months to a year. I think you will find that DISers vary greatly in what they budget for trips. You should bring the budgeted dolar amount that you are able and comfortable with.

livie1205
04-12-2008, 08:10 PM
we take about 1,000 for 5 of us for a week but that is with ddp...but when i say we take it i dont mean spend it lol we only spent 400 last time...and we bought everything we wanted...but with ddp we just dont spend that much...

Aliceacc
04-13-2008, 06:49 AM
I'm not sure of our numbers yet, since we're not going till August.

But I think a lot depends on how often you go. This will be our kids' first trip, so we can expect to do more souvineer shopping than someone who goes frequently.

Also, how old are your kids?

sweetheart_usa
04-14-2008, 02:35 PM
For 2 of us this is our second trip. For the other 3 ppl it's their first. Anyway, kids are 15, 10 and 7. Unfortunately 2 of the kids are financially wise and the other is in the "I WANT THAT!!" stage. Should be an interesting trip.
I lucked out on the cost also. We are staying off site in a condo. Good reviews and I booked it when it's was on sale. I was able to purchase 5 airline tickets for under $1000 (excellent deal considering we have to fly to a major airport for a connecting flight and then to MCO). Car rental was really cheap and the code included the insurance. Gosh I love a bargain!!

Msslaydbug
04-14-2008, 02:51 PM
We typically go for 10 day trips and there are 4 of us. Two adults DS10 & DD3

For food we typically eat breakfast in our room, counter service lunch and table service dinner everyday. We budget $1500 for this.

Each person has about $150 in spending money. Sometimes it ends up being more and sometimes less !

I think every family has different spending habits so it's hard to say how much another family should or should not bring.

SandrainNC
04-14-2008, 02:54 PM
I usually carry about $150 with me per day (in traveler checks) unless we are going to a sit down restaurant. Depending on the restaurant, I will add money to the $150. We also have our credit card in case we need it though. But we rarely use it. Also, the cash/change from using the previous days' travelers checks remain in my wallet and we can use that too.

Sandra

sweetheart_usa
04-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Good idea saving the travelers checks for the next trip!!!

bambam007
04-15-2008, 11:23 AM
We're doing our first trip with a family of three. The dining plan costs about $40 per day per person. I would imagine you would need to budget at least that per person for food when at the parks.
If you're on a really tight budget, perhaps you can use your car to make a grocery trip and take peanut butter and jelly, snacks, drinks. You can't bring in a big cooler but I think you could freeze drinks and have everyone pack at least a lunch.
There is an off site disney store that give better prices. It's an outlet so you may not have the same choices.

Have fun, I leave in two weeks

lilunsure
04-15-2008, 11:42 AM
We are a family of three and will be on the DDP and we go to Disney about every other year. We budget between 100-150 a day, for things like souvenirs, a drink or two with dinner, etc. When we are on vacation we typically try not to worry about money and just try to have fun and enjoy family time.