PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone really go back to the hotel mid day?

holly7347
04-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi all,
I keep seeing posts and even the guide books and TV shows suggest going back to the room mid-day to nap, rest, swim etc. Does everyone really do that? We will be at WDW 7 days with myself, DH, a 5 1/2 and a 3 1/2 year old DD's. My youngest hasn't napped since she was 2. I was just hoping that we could plan TS meals for lunch to get inside out of the heat and rest then. As well as doing more shows or longer sit down rides when we needed a break. Am I nuts to think we can do this without planning a trip back to the hotel each afternoon. I just keep thinking there is so much we want to do and so little time I just don't want to waste time going back to the hotel. By the way we will be there in early October so most of the parks are closing around 6 or 7pm so I'm hoping that will make a difference since it isn't like I'm keeping the kids running around from attraction to attraction until 11pm.

Aliceacc
04-12-2008, 07:17 PM
We're going in August, so I think that matters a lot-- it will be HOT and HUMID!!

Also, my kids would be entirely happy with any vacation that involved a pool, so pool time is vital to their idea of a vacation.

You know your kids best. But if I want the happy, fun, excited kids I know and love (and not the whiny complaining imposters who sometimes inhabit their bodies) we're planning on that daily break.

mommy2aprincess4
04-12-2008, 07:22 PM
We usually go in January and we generally do a character lunch to sit down and rest as you said and then stay at the park a few more hours and head back to the hotel around 6 or 7 (my daughter 4 is scared of the noise from the fireworks so we never stay for them)

I am taking her alone in June and will probably head to the parks in the morning and leave in the late afternoon.

rt2dz
04-12-2008, 07:47 PM
We don't do it. I have been going to WDW for years (decades) without doing it. In 2005 I was pregnant, and since everyone swears you should anyhow, we decided we would do it. BIG mistake.

My kids were never ready to leave when leaving would have been appropriate. They would have melt downs. Once we go them there, we had the same thing happen in reverse. By the time we did get back to the parks, it was worthless.

DH & I decided after 2 or 3 days, forget it. Guess what? We were back to the wonderful, well behaved kids we always had before. It's a one-size-fits-all advice, and like one-size-fits-all clothing, it doesn't fit everyone.

There used to be, and may still be, a couple of threads on the tips board about the biggest mistakes and advice you found useless and every couple of pages, people would list leaving the parks for breaks. Everyone had different reasons why. The big thing is, most who do stay in the parks, take in-park breaks. A TS meal, a long(er) show, indoor rides, a ride around the parks in the RR, a park switch, etc. It gave the change of pace without the problems some people have with leaving the parks.

My advice is don't think you have to go back to the hotel for a break. It may work for you or it may not. Try it both ways and see what does work for you and be flexible; if something stops working, try something else.

dougsmom98
04-12-2008, 08:04 PM
We do not go back for a midday break most of the time. The exception to that was our June trip. It was so hot, humid and miserable that we had no choice but to go back and swim, shower, and change our clothes. It the weather cooperates with you, then I would not bother to go back for a nap. If it is humid, you may not have a choice. I have never been in October so I am not sure what the humidity is like.

stopher1
04-12-2008, 08:12 PM
We've never done it. We always hear about it as one of "the things to do" - but the transportation tends to take too long. DW only wants to get back on the busses or monorail if we're park hopping.

Hawk
04-12-2008, 08:24 PM
We do, but we are normally there 16-18 days at least twice a year. We get to the parks at rope drop and have most of the major rides done before noon. It may not be necessary if your kids are older and you will be leaving late afternoon or early evening or if you are just enjoying a few shows and an in park meal. If we were staying less than 10 days we might spend longer lengths of time in the parks. Eight hours is a long time for small children, toddlers or infants - even at the Happiest Place On Earth! :thumbsup2

Tim/Hawk

donac
04-12-2008, 08:26 PM
We have always done it. It breaks up the day. But we also tend to go very early in the day to the parks. We usually go in Aug and with the hot weather it is great to swim or take a shower and change clothes.

las3888
04-12-2008, 08:31 PM
We always do. DS just wears down...he is just over 3. We have been doing this since he was 8.5 mos, so we are in the routine of leaving for a nap and a swim. It definitely is a must when it's hot at least for us.

The bummer is that the transportation does pretty much eat about an hour or two out of your day just to go to your room and then make it back. It all depends on where you are staying and what park you are visiting though.

When DS is not napping any longer, we will still probably go back for a swim. right now we have to really squeeze it in and I am really looking forward to the time when we can have a lot of leisure time at the pool.

You could try doing it either way and see how it works out....maybe every other day take a break/swim or maybe every 3rd day, depending on how long you're there for???

MinnieForMe
04-12-2008, 08:35 PM
We don't. It always seems like such a hassle if you're not staying on the monorail route. We find that an hour in an a/c character meal gets us rested up. Our toddler always sleeps in the stroller on vacation and my older two are fine without naps. That being said, we never last later than 6 pm.

This is the first year we are hoping to see fireworks!

DNSYFRK
04-12-2008, 08:39 PM
we do it on occasion, especially if we are going to a nicer TS restaurant so we can shower and change and take a short nap, we usually only do it if we are going to enjoy EMH that night so it makes it less time restrictive.

jessica52877
04-12-2008, 08:45 PM
We do not go back to the room, but mainly because the second I sit DS5 in his carseat he is out. He does not stay sleeping once stopped though, so no way to get him from the car to hotel room and no way he will go back to sleep. He will always either nap in the stroller or we'll sit on a bench and take a nap. I cannot imagine running all day but taking it easy is a different story. We also have our own car always. I don't think I would want to wait for buses.

blessedby3
04-12-2008, 08:59 PM
We never go back midday for a break. We also go in the off season when it is cooler. The only time that we did go back midday was on our April trip in 2003. It was unusually hot and very humid and we just couldnt take the heat. DH actually went back with the younger two and my oldest DD and I stayed in the MK. We were scurrying around trying to find an inside ride and got in line at the HM. The line was very long and by the time we got inside we were go grateful for the bit of air. As soon as we got off we headed straight for the CR hotel to meet up with DH and we all swam to cool off. That is the last time I will go when there is any possibility of it being hot and humid. Now we go in Nov-March. I hate the heat!!
We have been in Oct and it can be quite hot then too. If the parks are closing at 6 or 7 I would definately try and stay in them and not go back. I agree with the previous posters that it is time consuming to go back.

thegrimdwarf
04-12-2008, 09:25 PM
We will definitely take a break from the park each day.

There's 4 kids in our party, ages 4 (x2), 2.5 and 18 mos when we travel.. We're all early risers, so more than likely we'll be there for rope-drop every morning. We'll stay until just before or just after lunch (depending on if we eat in the parks), go back to the hotel to rest and/or swim. Then we'll do a different park in the afternoon until it closes or the kids are out of steam, whichever comes first. That's the way my parents always did it when I was a kid, and I'm traveling with my brother and his family, so it just seems like 'the way to do it' for us.

I don't think you're necessarily crazy for thinking you won't need to take a break, but I do think it would be wise to keep it in the back of your head as a possibly necessary evil. Disney is a whole lot of stimulation, and sometimes you just need to step away for a bit in order to enjoy it. Though I can certainly see why it would seem like a crazy idea - there's so much to see, and you've paid a lot of money for limited access - so leaving in the middle of the day is sorta like throwing money away.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Nanu57v
04-12-2008, 09:30 PM
My DD is younger than yours (2.5 on our last trip) and we found it quite necessary. As an infant we didn't, because she couldn't care less if she napped in her stroller, but this last trip we tried to skip the pm break and she would have melt downs about 4 or 5 each night. We quickly revised to include the PM break and all was well. You could try skipping the hotel break, and you'll know quite clearly if it works or not.

DisneyMomx7
04-12-2008, 09:35 PM
We always take a break. Of course we go in July and stay for two weeks. We always get to the park by rope drop (and do AM EMH at MK). By 12:00 or 1:00 we are ready for lunch and definitely a swim/nap break. My kids would be devestated if we didn't go back and swim every day.

Of course in the summer the parks are open late so we go back for dinner and to watch the parade and/or fireworks.

We've been doing it this way since 2003 when the kids were 2, 4 and 5 and it works for us.

all4fun
04-12-2008, 09:40 PM
We usually don't because when ds was younger he was a great stroller napper and the times we did try to take a break at the hotel he usually fell asleep on the way there and woke up when we got there which made the whole ordeal of leaving the park totally pointless. His nap time in the stroller was also a perfect time for dh and I to ride some of the bigger rides (child swap) since he was asleep anyway. If your 5yr old is big enough to ride some rides your 3yr old is still to small for then you might also find this to be true as well (assuming your 3yr old does take a nap in the park - you never know). Since the days are shorter I think your plan sounds reasonable but like a pp said it never hurts to keep it in the back of your head as a possibility. We just got back and we had a 10 & 14yr old with us who loved to swim so on the days the weather was nice we did head back to our resort (BWV) for a swim break (our 4yr old also really appreciated this since he's recently been taking some swim lessons). We also had some early mornings and late evening opportunities so it worked out pretty well. We would have missed a lot in the parks though if they were closing at 7pm every night, especially since the parks were fairly crowded as it was. Just some thoughts. hth!

disneymomof2boyz
04-12-2008, 09:40 PM
We most definently go back!! Our boys are toddler/pre-school age, and they still nap. So we would be doing our whole family a huge disservice by skipping our naps. The key word here is OUR naps!!lol All of us nap, and we are happy to do so. It makes us feel like we're really on vacation. Disney can be tiring if we don't stop to mellow and re-group. We really enjoy our naps, and DH and I are taking advantage of this b/c we know that as each year goes by our naping days are growing shorter and shorter. I doubt that as 7 or 8 yr olds, they'd want to stop and nap.

Princess_Michelle
04-12-2008, 09:41 PM
It really depends on your kids. We went in 2006, in September and didn't take midday breaks at all, (DS was 2) and we were miserable. We went back in 2007 and took midday breaks more than half the time and had a great time. :)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1611826

My son is very active, and burns a lot of energy during the day, on a NORMAL day. He didn't like being out & about from dawn till dusk; the addition of the heat and all the excitement led to lots of meltdowns and crying. My niece, on the other hand, was 3, and she has a completely different personality, it didn't bother her at all being out without a break, and she did fine.

So just pay attention to your kids, if they start getting cranky/whiny...you might wanna head back for a break.....

HAVE FUN!!!

StephMK
04-12-2008, 09:45 PM
OP - your kids sound like mine, both of my younger ones gave up naps really early. We'd heard the mid-day break thing too but when we went early Nov when ours were 9, 4 & 2.5, it was very hot that yr (80-90) while there - we still didn't go back. We were not commando riders so we just took our time during the day, picked shows or inside rides, got snacks, etc. We didn't stay out late 8ish maybe and a few times the kids just napped in the stroller instead. It worked great because by bedtime, it didn't take long for them to fall asleep.

We did take our big, bulky Duoglider & despite the hassle on the bus, it was sooo handy. For stuff &/or kids during the day. Have a great trip!!

WDWfeelslikehome
04-12-2008, 10:42 PM
I think it may even be a day to day choice with your kids. Somedays with heat, humid, and previous day/night, they may want a break, but other days it may be straight through until the after dinner crash, then off to bed.

dfarner
04-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi all,
I keep seeing posts and even the guide books and TV shows suggest going back to the room mid-day to nap, rest, swim etc. Does everyone really do that? We will be at WDW 7 days with myself, DH, a 5 1/2 and a 3 1/2 year old DD's. My youngest hasn't napped since she was 2. I was just hoping that we could plan TS meals for lunch to get inside out of the heat and rest then. As well as doing more shows or longer sit down rides when we needed a break. Am I nuts to think we can do this without planning a trip back to the hotel each afternoon. I just keep thinking there is so much we want to do and so little time I just don't want to waste time going back to the hotel. By the way we will be there in early October so most of the parks are closing around 6 or 7pm so I'm hoping that will make a difference since it isn't like I'm keeping the kids running around from attraction to attraction until 11pm.

I think in October you could swing not going back each day for a break. We do breaks on our summer visits, but when we have gone in October we didn't do any. Like you said the parks aren't open very late, and we didn't want to cut out that much of our day.

SmallWorld71
04-12-2008, 10:49 PM
As I'm sure you're seeing from the different answers, weather can be a huge factor in whether or not a mid day break is needed. I've traveled in April, Feb., and August, and quite honestly, DH and I needed the breaks as much as the kids in August. October weather can go either way, I know there was a hot spell last Oct. with temps in the 90's, so keep that in mind.
Another factor, of course, is when you arrive at the parks. If you arrive at the park early, you may be ready to leave sooner than you think.
All that said, on our trip last August, we went at park opening and NEVER stayed at a park past 3pm. (We did occasionally return in the evenings.) Most days it was earlier. Everyone, including the full of energy pre-teen boys, was out of steam by then. On one day, instead of going our resort, we toured the Poly for our break before our dinner at 'Ohana.
Just remember, seeing more doesn't equal having a better time. And, quite honestly, some of my favorite Disney memories are at the resorts not the parks. You may be able to stay all day, but be prepared to leave if everyone starts getting tired/ cranky. You'll have a much nicer vacation that way.:goodvibes

Crisgw
04-12-2008, 11:26 PM
We did this one time and like someone else said, it was "meltdown city" and nobody was happy. The next time (07) we didn't and everyone was ok :) My boys will be 4 and 6 and I hope they're still okay going all day :)

MinnieMouse73
04-13-2008, 02:30 AM
We're another family where the weather makes a huge difference. When we go to WDW (or DL last year) it's always in July/August for at least 2 weeks. We are at the parks early in the morning, then leave at lunchtime for a break - my DD has been at age 2, 3 and 5. At 2, she napped. At 3 and 5 she wasn't interested (though we did force her to 'rest' a few times, when we wanted to go back and stay until closing for parades/fireworks) - it was us trying to nap while she played in the room and wanted to go swimming! :lmao:

When we go to Disneyland Paris, we never return to the room (although we haven't ever been in the height of summer when the parks are open late). We've been in April, October and December and done park opening to closing, but that's usually 10am - 7pm.

Mickeyluver37
04-13-2008, 02:50 AM
No, and I can never figure out how people get anything done that way. The idea sounds so nice, but when we're in the parks, our FP's and ADR's never allow for that, and even after full days, we still never get everything done that we had wanted.

Goofy'slady
04-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Our family usually goes in May and while it's hot it's not as hot as say mid July or August. Our daughters have shown us over the years that they don't need a mid day break as long as we have a nice lunch in a cool place, drink pleanty of water and walk at our pace. Oh, and it helps if we get there at Rope Drop to knock out certain attractions that we know will have longer waits as the day goes on.

Our youngest is 2.5 and she naps(if she's tired) in her stroller. Going back to our rental home is too much of a bother for us. We feel like it takes too long and we're only about 2.5-3 miles away from MK.

T.

lisaross
04-13-2008, 08:05 AM
No, we didn't go back -

We went in August - our kids were then 4 & 6. We usually got to the parks about opening - we ate cereal in the morning and then had an early sit down lunch - we usually stayed at the parks till about 4 sometimes and went back to the resort for a swim and dinner and to bed early. The times we wanted to stay late and see the fireworks, we slept in a bit and went to the parks late morning early afternoon. I think 1x we went back to the resort in the afternoon and then went back out again at night. I know myself - once i go back and relax i will not want to go out again!

I'd say plan not to go back, BUT be flexible.

lisa

Hi all,

moxiecola
04-13-2008, 08:15 AM
When the kids were small (2 & 4) we did it. The last time we went we didn't make it a point to leave the park for the most part BUT did have them lie down for an hour if we happened to be at or near the hotel. We did make it a point to do this on nights when we knew we'd be out late (Fantasmic night, MNSSHP etc) to avoid possible breakdowns. My kids were 1, 6, 8 by then. This time we'll follow the same routine. I'm not going to pull them away from the park but when we do get to the hotel everyone will lie down. They are 10months, 3, 8, & 11 now..normally when we go away I do have them rest if I see them crumbling. Even my 11 year old will sleep...I find it helpful to have them just lie there even if they don't actually sleep. It just helps their little bodies recharge.

mickeymousemom
04-13-2008, 11:46 AM
I think its different for everyone. I also think whether or not a child still naps is a moot point. There is SO much to see and do at Disney that it can be very overwhelming for little ones. It CAN be very hot and humid, and that alone can cause meltdowns pretty quick(parent OR child).
I always hate to read or hear that someone is going to go to WDW and try to run around seeing it ALL. I fully believe that if you go commando and don't stop and smell the Disney roses then you miss SO much.
It may be that your kids can go ALL day from early morning to late night with not one iota of a break. If this is the case, then fine...go with that. I would say that of those people that said they never "needed" a break, there were many that just decided NOT to take one, regardless of signs the kids were showing. I just can't understand how a small child could possibly go all day like that without a break.

With all that said...If I were you, I'd just take it easy, be patient, enjoy as much as you can(without trying to "do it all") and follow the signs from your children. They are the only ones who can "say" whether or not the midday breaks are for you. Have a good trip!:)

LisaZoe
04-13-2008, 12:07 PM
We don't when we've gone to DLR. DD sometimes napped in the stroller so we'd just take it easy, stroll through shops, etc. as she slept. The time we went to WDW was different because of the heat/humidity. We went in September and I needed a midday break of some kind to rest and cool down. Sometimes just riding the monorail was enough. Other days when we had ADRs, we'd head back to our room so I could shower and change and DD could have some quiet. She wasn't quite 3 yet and had already mostly stopped napping regularly but having some quiet time helped us both.

In general, we only go for a week so I hate to lose too much time by going back to the room. We do, though, usually go in slower periods when the parks aren't open really late which helps. I just try to watch DD and myself to gauge our moods. If either is getting grumpy, often we'll bounce back after we take a break so DD can play in one of the water features in a park as I sit and watch.

Minnie_me
04-13-2008, 12:10 PM
My DDs were 6.5 and 9.5 when we went to WDW, and we definitely took the break (most days).

We were up and at the parks first thing in the mornings. It was hot and humid, lots of walking, etc. They usually started getting tired around 2:00. We were determined not to be the kinds of parents who dragged their hot & tired kids around, not having any fun.

So we would go back to POP, swim for a while, eat a snack and head back around 5:00. Then we'd stay until after fireworks.

dbenlee
04-13-2008, 12:16 PM
We've talked about it, especially for our June trips, but have never done it. It just seems to be to much trouble. We do several inside, sit down attractions and a slow sit down lunch to rest and cool off.

Disneychix
04-13-2008, 12:44 PM
We like to go back to mid afternoon to rest/swim/shop. But we also like to freshen up before our pm meal and change clothes so that's the perfect opportunity to so this.
I do admit that I need a break from the crowds/heat/humidity as much as DS. I like my naps!

hoosiergirl7
04-13-2008, 03:11 PM
We have to because I get cranky if we don't. I think the only day on our upcoming trip that we won't take a break is because we have lunch ADR's at DHS at Sci-Fi Dine In. But we'll be inside and we'll definitely take our time enjoying ourselves. Plus we've on got one day planned at DHS on our 7 day trip. All the other days will be spent between MK & Epcot. We're not going to AK this trip.

las3888
04-13-2008, 03:27 PM
No, and I can never figure out how people get anything done that way. The idea sounds so nice, but when we're in the parks, our FP's and ADR's never allow for that, and even after full days, we still never get everything done that we had wanted.

We definitely don't get 'everything' done when we go back for naps, but it just give us reason to come back because we didn't see it all!!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

cheerforchelsea
04-13-2008, 07:48 PM
We almost always take a mid day break. We will eat lunch in the room and rest for a while.....then back out to close down the park!!:dance3:

jazzmine
04-13-2008, 07:57 PM
We don't usually stay onsite. And we don't take a break mid-day. This past trip, if my son was acting cranky or tired, we would tell him to just lay back in his stroller and take a nap and he would (surprisingly!).

Then we would get a snack and sit and take a break ourselves. He didn't nap every day but he took little cat naps and did really well. We would usually get to the parks around 9am and stay until 7 or 8pm.

Of course, we also only have DS to contend with, it might be different with more children.

ChristusG
04-13-2008, 08:03 PM
We NEVER go back to the room midday. We go from park opening to park close. That being said, we dont do Disney during the summertime. From late May until late September are off season for us LOL. I live in FL, two hours from Disney, and I dont care to bake while walking around a park. I've gone to Disney when my daughters were really small, the last trip beign last October when they were 3 years old and 6 months old. We never made a trip back to the room. It's too much of a pain. Load and unload the stroller, take the transportation, get back to the room, try to get everyone to sleep or rest, etc....and do it all again to go back in the park. It is just not worth it for us. We figured our kids would sleep in the stroller when they were tired....and they did. It worked fine for us. Our next trip will be this October, when our kids are 4 and 1....and we plan to do the same thing.

#1 Pocahontas
04-13-2008, 10:39 PM
I used to hear about going back to your hotel for a break on all the planning videos. I'd just laugh at what a major waste of time that would be, we had made about 6 trips and never had to go back to the room. Then we went in August! OH my gosh! We went back to our hotel room almost every day to take a nap, and this was before we had kids!! :headache: I just couldn't take all day in that kind of heat.

We have kids now, 2 and 5, and it really just depends on what we are doing as to if we go back or not. I will say that we don't go during the really hot times any more so that helps. I think now we only go back for a nap if we are going back out for a late night, like MVMCP or the P&P Party.

michygoomy
04-13-2008, 10:43 PM
We always take a break. My family always thinks I'm crazy for planning one, but then thank me later! But we go in the summer and are up early and to bed late. I'd rather spend park time in the cooler parts of the day and stay in the room or the pool in the hot parts.

We did a "commando" trip once when the kids were 7 and 10 and that was fun and exhausting! Now we go more days to make up for the breaks.

ILoveDisney&Cruising
04-13-2008, 10:58 PM
We never take a mid-day break and have been going since my boys were 3 & 4 years old. They've always done fine!

Matt'nMeg'sMom
04-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Never ever. Ever. Did I say Never? I meant it.

We never return to the hotel during the day. I can't bear to waste all that precious time in transit. If we need a break - we take it in the parks.

idahodude
04-14-2008, 12:04 AM
We usually take a break, but we tend to get to the parks when they open and then stay until the fireworks are done at 10 or 11. We need the naps to help get our sleep in, and we're happy to go back to the hotel when the parks are most crowded.

In my early Disney Days, we would go all day and "do it all". (We actually did come close to doing it all most times.) We know we're going back now so don't feel the same drive to get it all in. It just means something to look forward to next year.

myAAbatteries&aTD
04-14-2008, 01:44 AM
We rarely go back for a break in the afternoon (rarely meaning I think we did once, maybe twice).... our kids nap in the stroller if they get tired. We stay from open to close and they love every minute of it!

jcc0621
04-14-2008, 04:20 AM
For our family it depends on our mood. Some days we go back for a rest and ther we don't. However, on the days we don't take a rest we stay until about dinner time and then head back to the hotel. We usually do this with AK. We go early in the am, stay until the after the parade and then head back to the hotel for dinner and swimming or relaxing in the room.

If we decide we ant to stay a little longer (say at MK) we do whatyou are suggesting and find someplace to sit in the AC and have a relaxing meal. Usually Pinnochio's in FL where DS can look out the window at the IASW boats going by.

Sorry for the long winded answer.....but the crux is you have to see what works for your family.

jenrein
04-14-2008, 05:56 AM
I really thought we were all going to but it never happened. The only thing close was Animal Kingdom day everyone was so grumpy we skipped out on Rainforest Cafe and headed back to the hotel early and had pizza delivered. It was the best thing we could have done with the attitudes of the day!

DevilDuckie
04-14-2008, 12:54 PM
If the park is closing early we'd skip the nap. Just monitor the kids carefully and know when it is time for a quiet place and a snack.

vellamint
04-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Taking an afternoon break worked when we traveled with friends and their kids. It gave everyone a chance to swim together, take a break from each other or have a nap.....then we would hop to the next park for dinner...

Tried it by ourselves last trip and it was such a waste of time and the pool was cold (in August) and the kids didnt want to go in and it just basically blew that afternoon for no reason.

The thing that works best for us is to get there early, have an earlyish dinner (4 -5 o'clock) and then the parent that is tired (my husband) would take the tired kids back to the resort while the parent that wanted to stay (ME!!!) had some time alone with whichever kid (s) wanted to stay out....it worked out great!!!!

pooh4evr
04-14-2008, 03:48 PM
No we never have - we rent a good side by side stroller both seats recline and the girls have napped that way!