PDA

View Full Version : NOTICE: Updated DVC Points Planner now available

Caskbill
03-22-2002, 11:23 PM
Just wanted to post a note that I have updated my Excel DVC Points planner program.

It now contains points charts for all 6 DVC resorts (BCV, BWV, OKW, VWL, HH, VB).

It has point charts for the years 2001 thru 2010. And no, that is NOT a typing error....thru the year 2010. ;)

Charts 2001 thru 2003 are taken from published Disney charts. Charts for 2004 thru 2010 were developed using the same patterns DVC has been using since 1993 in determining the Easter and Thanksgiving periods.

If you're not already familiar, this is a point PLANNING tool, not a point tracking tool. It does not keep track of your personal points, usages, banking or borrowing.

It does make it very simple to plan a vacation, and do any number of 'what-if's" with your points.

To use, a single mouse click selects a resort. A single mouse click selects a room type. (If applicable, another click selects a view type). Then simply click directly on dates on the calendar, or click and drag to select multiple dates. Points required for that stay are instantly calculated.

Ever wonder how many points it takes to stay at any of the resorts for a year? The program will figure it out in about a second. No need to dig out those point charts, try to find out what season your dates are in, then how many points it takes for weekdays, or weekends. Want to do BWV instead of OKW, one click changes the resort and recalculates all the points.

Want to know your 7-month or 11-month booking dates? They're displayed automatically on a vacation plan page.

The color coded calendar shows 24 months at a time. No need to use a simple planer where you put in a start date and how many days you want. See at a glance the full point structure for any resort, and see by colors where the points apply on a regular calendar page.

This program is a spreadsheet, and does require Microsoft Excel 97 or later to run. Sorry. I hope some day to convert it to a free standing program, but it'll be awhile.

The program uses dynamic macro routines written in VisualBasic to perform all the tasks. The working page is 'hot' meaning that simply clicking on the appropriate cells causes an appropriate routine to run. A full set of directions and explanations for the program is included on a separate worksheet tab.

The spreadsheet has been placed on the Simtel.net download site. To conserve space, it is in a self extracting zip file named <b>DVCPOINT.EXE</b>. To use, simply download the file and run the executable. After it extracts you will have the Excel file (about 880 Kb, and a short TXT file.)

Once extracted simply run your Microsoft Excel program and load the file. (Or from Explore, find the filename and double-click on it.) You might even want to put a shortcut on your desktop.

Feedback comments are welcomed, and suggestions for future changes are appreciated.

Have fun and enjoy your DVC calculations.

Download the latest version of the DVC Planner DVCPOINT.EXE at this location:

http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/54928.shtml

:wave:

Are you computer challenged? Never performed a download before? Don't know how to run an executable? Then follow these instructions:

Remember, this requires Microsoft Excel first. If you don't have it then you can't use the planner. If you do have Excel, then do this:

1. Click on the link above. This will take you to the download page.
2. From the list, select a location close to you.
3. Your computer will ask you whether to open the program or save it to disk. Select save it to disk.
4. The computer will ask for a location on your disk. It's easiest just to use what the computer suggests, but change it if you like. Be sure to remember the name of this location.
5. The program will download in about 40 seconds or less.
6. You can log off the internet now if you want.
7. Either: A: Click on the START button, select RUN, type in the path that the file was downloaded to (you did write it down didn't you?) followed by \dvcpoint.exe
Or B: Right click on START button, select EXPLORE to get into Windows Explorer. Scan through the directory tree to find the correct directory. You should see dvcpoint.exe listed as one of the files. Double click on it to run it.
8. The spreadsheet file will self extract. If you're still in the directory tree, it should show. (press F5 to update the screen if you need to). Double click on the file Disney DVC Planner.xls to run it.
9. Want a shortcut on your desktop? While still in the EXPLORE tree, right click on the file Disney DVC Planner.xls, select Create Shortcut. Now, if your window is full screen, shrink it to a window by clicking on the middle icon at the top right corner of your window screen. This should allow you to see both the smaller window and the desktop behind it. Click and drag the shortcut file you just created onto the desktop. Bingo, you're all set to run the planner at the click of a button.

Thanks. If you have any questions about the program, just ask Doc. He's helped test it for both versions.

Caskbill
03-25-2002, 06:42 PM
Bump for those who might have missed the first post.

Terry S
03-25-2002, 06:48 PM
Caskbill... Thank you very much. I have downloaded your excel file and I am using it. I like it a lot! Thanks for the effort you put into it.

Mickeygolf
03-26-2002, 08:50 AM
Caskbill, this is really cool. I love all the differant types of room calculators out there and this is definitely one of the tops!!!

Thanks for taking the time and energy to create this. As a new DVC member, I'm always looking for new things to try.

TheWho
03-26-2002, 09:49 AM
Great spreadsheet Bill, thanks

BWVDenise
03-26-2002, 01:26 PM
I am trying to do this and when I click on "Pennsylvania" I am taken to a page which tells me it will download in 30 seconds. In about 30 seconds, I am taken to another page which is an advertisement. My computer never asks me for the location, etc., as described in Bill's instructions. I even tried picking Massachusetts and the same thing happened. :confused:

Any advice?

BWVDenise
03-26-2002, 04:38 PM
DH helped me when he got home from work. The PA location isn't working, but Illinois worked. Bill, thanks so much for this! What a great tool!:D :D

Winnie's Friend
04-18-2002, 01:00 PM
I love the DVC Planner! Thanks for updating it!!!

disneyma
04-18-2002, 02:42 PM
I was wondering if there was a way to get this for a mac? I have the Microsoft package Excel for the MACS. The download is for PC's

Thanks,
Ed

TIdoublegaER
04-18-2002, 09:03 PM
I must chime-in, and add to the list of thank you's!

Thanks for sharing this with us ... it is great! Your work is appreciated.

Tig

Caskbill
04-19-2002, 01:58 AM
I was wondering if there was a way to get this for a mac? I have the Microsoft package Excel for the MACS. The download is for PC's
ED: It didn't work last year on the MAC when another DISer tried it with the first release, so don't know if it will work with your copy of Excel or not. I sent you an E-mail and can send you the excel file directly if you'd like.

triple7
04-19-2002, 07:14 AM
Caskbill

Great Program!. I have already used it to do some initial planning fror next year.

Thanks very much!!