PDA

View Full Version : OT:Nintendo DS

Blessed99
04-12-2008, 01:24 PM
My DD 8 will be turning 9 in June and is asking for Nintendo DS for her birthday. What games would be good for a girl ner age and what accessories do you recommend. Any suggestions would be appreciated, because neither one of us have any video game experience.

Thanks, Kelly

Me (Kelly) princess: and DD 8 Kamryn princess:

mommy-on-the-move
04-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Hello! My eldest daughter is 10 and I have to say her nintendo DS is probably THE best value for money christmas gift I've ever bought in her life in terms of play hours!

At present her 2 games she constantly goes back to are "harvest moon" - where you buy and manage your own little farm whilst you form and maintain relationships with other people in the village and save the princess by saving the harvest sprites (her words- I just asked her :lmao: ) and "Animal crossing" - where you have a little person, build their home, grow plants, go to work, send notes to people in the village, buy a bigger home... pretty much a virtual life from what she is telling me. Both have great tutor modes on them where you follow online instructions to learn the basic skills. Nintendogs she liked but grew quite bored of quickly. Cooking moma was/is fun but i think would get frustrating when first learning game play.

Animal crossing also has the biiiig advantage that you (player) can link up with other friends who have a ds and that game and your person can visit their town (my dd1 plays with her bestfriend, my mother, my sister)

Hope that helps a little.

Accessory wise I'd say buy an airformed case to store it in, protective film for both the screens and some spare stylus pens. If you travel alot a in-car charger is also a good investment.

CHEK
04-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Both my DD's have them, and they both love them:thumbsup2 , they can download games between them and share one game;), my girls have a few games here in the UK, Mario Olympics which is great!, Cooking mama, big brain academy, Mario carts (driving game which is great!)

Snowy-girls
04-12-2008, 04:52 PM
We bought one for our dd7(hubby also has one)and she play's Animal Crossing,High School Musical,Cooking Mama she also plays learning games as well on it.It is really good as i also play it,and now she has one her+her daddy link up and play football+other games together.x.

PRINCESSMOMX3
04-12-2008, 05:48 PM
My 8yo got one for Christmas. She loves it. She plays Hannah Montana, Fashion Designer, Animal Crossing, as well as Professor Layton.:thumbsup2

luvmy2sams
04-12-2008, 05:49 PM
DD9 has a DS, and I agree that it's been a great investment. DH has a GameFly membership, so lots of times DD will rent a game for a few days before she plunks down the $30 to buy it. Here are some of her recent favorites:

Disney Friends
Nintendogs
Imagine: Pet Vet
Imagine: Fashion Designer
Mario & Sonic at the Olympics
Cooking Mama
Super Mario Brothers
Zelda & the Phantom Hourglass

As for accessories, definitely get the protective screen covers. We bought a couple of spare styluses...between DD and DS they're always losing one in the car. We also have the NERF covers, which are fantastic padding.

MinnieForMe
04-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi:
I also have to say that the DS was the best investment we've made as a gift for our son (10). We fought it for so long and then when he turned 10 we gave in.

I can't advise you on girl games as he's obsessed with Pokemon but we purchased the protective armor (15.00 at Toys R Us). It protects it if you drop it or that's the theory anyway. I can't remember if it came with a car charger or if we purchased it separately.

Keara'sMom
04-12-2008, 07:48 PM
My dd11 just got a DS for Christmas, and she loves Nintendogs and My Sims right now (she also enjoys Hampsterz and Fashion Designer). I

katemomto3
04-12-2008, 09:55 PM
My dd got one for christmas (she was 8 then and is now 9) In addition to the games mentioned above she really likes a Dolphins, and animal vet. HTH. Kate

4 Little Bears
04-13-2008, 01:50 AM
My daughter loves the Harvest Moon game too. She spends hours working on her "farm" and riding her horse.

The Nintendogs are lots of fun, and if she loves disney, the new Disney Friends is another good choice.

r4blessings
04-13-2008, 05:44 AM
Another vote for animal crossing! Both my sons got a ds from Santa (ds9, will be 10 in june, and ds6 who will be 7 in August). And I was shocked, b/c it gets so much more playtime than their wii.:confused3 They just love it! Santa brought nintendodogs which they really didn't like and animal crossing which they love!!!! They really can't get enough of it, even though we make sure to limit their ds time. Our rule is 30 minutes of plug-in time a day......whether that is tv, wii, computer or ds is up to them.

The easter bunny did bring my 9yr old prof layton's curious village which is fantastic, but very hard! He loves it, but will still go back to animal crossing b/c it is a lot of fun, and not so challenging!

Anyone who has pet vet care to share some info?

Kcross3625
04-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Another vote for Animal Crossing. DD10 and her friends are obsessed with it!

disney[xo]sweetie
04-13-2008, 02:20 PM
the twins (dd6's) both have one, and play it for hours on end.
the favorites seem to be
*animal crossing
*big brain academy
*hannah montana
*lots of the mario games (i cant tell the difference, but apparently their very much different)
*fashion designer

mine got very bored with nintendogs too. i even played it once. it consists of pet the dog, feed the dog, walk the dog, pet the dog, walk the dog again.
its fun for the first half hour then its "wait, this is it?"

twinmum
04-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Another BIG vote for Nintendogs (just don't let her donate a dog without talking to you first - one of our sons was devastated that he did it...) and Disney Friends.

LorlovesStitch
04-13-2008, 03:22 PM
My 7 yo DDs love Disney Pals----it is the new favorite! They also have Pet Vet, Nintendogs, PurrPals (taking care of cats), Hannah Montana, Suite Life of Zack and Cody, March of the Penguins.

luvmy2sams
04-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Anyone who has pet vet care to share some info?

Per DD9...One of the first things you do is the enclosures that all the animals live in. When your DS chimes, you click on the bell and perform check-ups on the animals that are listed. During the check-ups the game will prompt you on what equipment to use for the pet examinations. You give shots, take x-rays, clean the animals, etc. There's lots of information on the animals (cats, dogs, bunnies, horses, pigs, chickens). As the game progresses, different levels of examinations open up and more animals are available to examine/learn about.

ninety-seven
04-13-2008, 05:18 PM
It is a very inexpensive game, but my DS6 has clocked many hours on it since Santa brought it to him. It is called Playground and you can find it for around $10.00 used, I think. It is pretty fun for all ages.