PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else do a big house cleaning before they leave?

desertbloom
04-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I hate coming home to a dirty house! I usually spend a good 3 or 4 days doing a top to bottom cleaning of our house before we leave for vacation. Anyone else do this or am I the only one with OCD? :rotfl:

MinnieMouse73
04-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Not 3-4 days, but our last day before leaving is always spent with me packing and my husband giving the house a thorough clean (it's not a big house!).

lady browning
04-12-2008, 12:06 PM
No you are not the only one! I too hate to come home after a wonderful vacation to a dirty house. I spend the week before we leave, packing, ironing, straightening up and cleaning. Everyone comes home to a freshly wasked bed, clean bathroom, clean kitchen. All that I have to do is ctch up on the laundry and miss being at WDW!

thegrimdwarf
04-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I hate coming home to a dirty house - especially after staying in a **** & span hotel for a few days. Usually 2 days before we leave, I kick it into high gear. The day before is always spent packing, repacking, fretting that I forgot such and such, so unpacking to make sure it's there then packing again....

lclark0621
04-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Add me to the OCD list! I clean the house top to bottom before we leave. I love the idea of coming home & the house being completely clean!

Abharmagic
04-12-2008, 12:59 PM
YES!!! My mom got me started on this when I was a kid. I used to think it was a big pain (as a kid) and took away from the fun and excitement of going on vacation- but she always said, "You don't want to come home from vacation to a dirty house." I now say I have to agree. This last trip I hired a family friend who is a cleaning lady and she cleaned while we were gone- it was about the price of a TS meal at WDW and sooooo worth it. It was wonderful to come home to a sparkly house and not have to do it myself.

Zeebs
04-12-2008, 01:01 PM
I always have the best intentions to have the house cleaned up before going away but always, no matter how hard I try to be organised, am throwing last minute things in the suitcase.

Although I have just hired a cleaner for a couple of hours a week and she will be able to give it a nice clean while I am away. Yay for her.

Kirsten

PrincessAlways
04-12-2008, 01:14 PM
I hate coming home to a dirty house! I usually spend a good 3 or 4 days doing a top to bottom cleaning of our house before we leave for vacation. Anyone else do this or am I the only one with OCD? :rotfl:

No, I don't go that crazy! It's usually just me going, so DH is home & he can tidy up a bit.:lmao:

I see we'll be arriving on the same day!! I'll be in the Yankees' cap!!! :lmao:

PEANUT1
04-12-2008, 01:16 PM
My hubby thinks I'm nuts but I clean too. I like to do the bathrooms, kitchen and dust and vacuum. I usually do it one or two days before we leave. When I come home, it is nice to have a beautiful clean house waiting for me....its makes the sadness of leaving disney a little more bearable.:flower3:

CRdisMom
04-12-2008, 02:14 PM
count me in too. I clean from top to bottom. I have to get rid of the clutter. Heaven forbid if something were to happen to me on the trip, I would hate for someone to see what a mess we are normally.

LoveKermit
04-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Like another person said, I learned it from my mom. Usually new sheets (so they don't have to be changed right away since laundry ends up on a different schedule), kitchen, bathrooms, and floors.

I got a little lazy last summer. I was in three different cities for three different weekends and my DH was home with us, so he'd rather be "playing." Plus the house didn't get all that messy again in between trips. But I think I actually went away at some point with a dish in the sink (on the drying/clean side) but still, I didn't like it.

Plus it's something to do in those last fifteen minutes that you're ready before your ride to the airport comes (no matter who that is).

justplaingoofy
04-12-2008, 03:37 PM
We always come home to a clean house...

What my husband especially loves is the morning of our flight I have my husband help me strip the bed & put on fresh sheets so when we come home they are ohhhh so nice...

However the funny part of this is we are always on the first flight out and have to leave our house around 4am. :rotfl: FYI, we usually take the last flight out too, so we don't get home until 11pm or so and wouldn't want to change the sheets then...

But it sure is nice to come home to.

A little off topic, but in a couple of weeks were going to Mexico and have a VERy early flight (5am)... we have to leave our house at 2:30am. (so we'll be up at
1:30am to shower..) can't wait to see his reaction when I'm looking for his help at 2am:rotfl2:

stopher1
04-12-2008, 03:46 PM
We always do - no matter what trip we are going on. We love that feeling when you come home and it's neat and tidy. DW gets all the laundry done before leaving, the boys clean the bathrooms, and I do the dusting and vacuuming. We also run the dishwasher and make sure any last minute cups or dishes are hand washed, dried and put away. Then when we get home - we can walk in to a clean house. It certainly feels good, when you already have suitcases to empty and any trip laundry to deal with - to NOT have to also deal with the house... :)

dani blaski
04-12-2008, 05:47 PM
I always clean house before I leave on any trip--whether just me for work or a family trip. It really makes sense if I am going away for work--it is always a mess when I get home. But for a family trip -no matter how long we are away--I want to come home to a clean house. And I don't want to think about "Oh, I have to clean the house,etc" before I get home. Out last trip for easter I broke one of my rules--I did not do all of the laundry. And I regretted it when I got home--dirty clothes from our trip plus the stuff before we left. Total drag!

FoundMyPrince
04-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Actually, when we are on vacation, we have the house sprayed for little buggies, the carpets cleaned and the house cleaned. We're all gone - doggies and all, so it's a great time to get some deep cleaning taken care of!

Snowy-girls
04-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Yes i also clean right the way thru our house.We all come home to clean bed linen,bathroom,kitchen etc(not that it was really dirty in the first place).Love coming home to fresh,clean bed linen and in my own bed-no matter how much i am away i loove coming home to my bed.x.

pepperderr
04-12-2008, 06:04 PM
You all posted good reasons to get your house cleaned before vacation. I will probably start cleaned really good a few days before my DH gets home. He is in Afghanistan right now so when he comes home, I like to have as much cleaning done as possible. I want to be able to spend time with him and not be stressing about what else needs done yet.

I want to try to get most of the packing done before DH comes home so all he has to do is pack his stuff and load it all in the van and I plan to have all the places we want/need to go, already programed into the navigation system in the van and have the toys and everything that they boys will want to use ready in the van too. We are driving from PA.

I must also say that this will probably be one of the easiest times to get my boys to help clean :) They have a really good reason to!

DisneyMomx7
04-12-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm neurotic. I clean really well before we leave (2 week trip) and I have the cleaning people come in while we're gone. Usually my oldest ds's are home during that time so I really worry if they'll keep it clean (that's why I keep the cleaning people on schedule). This time they'll be with us so I probably won't have the cleaning people come.

daisy2
04-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Yes I don't want to come home to a messy house. I change the bedding make all laundry is done. So when we come home it's nice and clean. All I have to do is unpack and do laundry.

firsttimer03
04-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Throw me in with everyone else!
I make sure the house is picked up and clean bedding on beds, clean toilets, and have the dishes in dishwasher done.
It always feels better coming home to cleanliness and just have to worry about all the dirty laundry. EEEWWW! :laundy:

2Princes2Princesses
04-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Well, I really DO have OCD and I do a cleaning before we leave. My ex usually stays here and I clean everything really well and make sure the things I cannot stand other people to touch are put away in our room and locked up.

I have serious issues. ;)

PADISFAM
04-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Count me in & I blame my Mom too:goodvibes :laundy:

disneymomof2boyz
04-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Another OCD mom here!!lol I absolutely LOVE coming home to a clean house. Makes everything so much less stressful. All I have to do when we get home is throw in some laundry and rest. I usually dedicate the last day before the trip to finish the laundry, clean floor, and packing.
Nice to know I'm not the only crazy out there!;)

WeCantWait
04-12-2008, 09:52 PM

That's funny, our next trip is in June and we are planning on surprising our two sons for the first time. When we were trying to decide if we wanted it to be a surprise or not my husband said my obsessive cleaning the week before will give it away. :rotfl2:

I dread coming back to reality after a Disney vacation, coming home to a clean home makes it a little easier.

Momvic5
04-12-2008, 09:59 PM
I am a cleaning machine before our trip too. I sooo want to be more relaxed about it, but I just can't. I can make myself and everyone else around here crazy. I am also a mad woman when we get back home. I can have 8 days worth of laundry for a family of five done and have all the suitcases put away in 2-3 days after we get home! I blame it on my mom too. ;)

pigletto
04-12-2008, 10:03 PM
I am forever converted to the cleaning before you go club.
This year we left on a big family cruise the day after boxing day. The week before was an absolute whirlwind of family visiting, holiday parties, and entertaining, and very last minute packing.:headache:
There were still wrapping paper and toys and all over the house.. laundry everywhere.. it was terrible.
To top it all off we were broken into while we were gone and the robbers pulled things out of drawers.. ripped things out of closets.. left just a huge destructive mess:sad1:
The day we got home we had to call the police .. I was mortified to have them come through the house:sad2:
Before this years cruise I am hiring a cleaning service and packing weeks ahead of time so I don't have to worry about it during all the holiday madness.
Oh.. and getting an alarm system:rolleyes1
That was the worst vacation let down ever:sad2:

~Kristina~
04-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Oh yeah! I don't like coming home to a mess. The kids know that before any big trips, cleaning is a must or we won't go.

WDWfeelslikehome
04-12-2008, 10:31 PM
DW does the "super clean" pre-trip and then another one a few days post-trip (because of the ever so clean cats). I have tried to help, but am usually encouraged to do other things, as my idea of clean may not always meet her seal of approval. ;)

barnaby1
04-13-2008, 05:36 PM
I love to come home to a clean house.

That's why I always get my cleaner to come in just before we get home!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

bebelle
04-13-2008, 05:43 PM
How nice to hear that I am not the only one! When we travel we always have someone stay at our home to pet sit. So you can bet my house is thoroughly cleaned and organized. I wouldn't want someone to actually think we live in our house:rotfl:

ScotsMinnie
04-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Before our first trip to the World with our DD I spent days cleaning and tidying determined to come home to a tidy house and have no housework to do when i was jet-lagged and tired. Unfortunately I realised I couldn't find my drivers licence and as I was the main driver this was a problem.

So I turned the house over top to bottom and in the end I still couldn't find it (and never did) and the house looked someone had burgled it when we got back. Not a happy time!!!!

Luckily managed to get a replacement mailed to the villa so other less keen drivers did the start of the holiday and I did the rest!

ChristusG
04-13-2008, 07:58 PM
If you are OCD, then so am I LOL! On the rare occasion that I didnt get the chance to clean before leaving on a trip, it drove me crazy coming home to a cluttered house. I have to clean before leaving on a vacation!

hildarumpole
04-13-2008, 08:14 PM
I always do a big clean before a vacation, even if we're only going away for 2 days. My kids hate it, because the day before we leave I won't let anyone move. A few years ago, a neighbor asked me to water her houseplants while she went on a 3 week vacation. I was shocked to find her house a mess. The kitchen floor was filthy, there was garbage in the can and dirty dishes in the sink. She left a note saying I could help myself to anything in the fridge. There were leftovers and milk. I did the dishes, dumped the leftovers and milk, and took out the garbage. It grossed me out to think she thought it was o.k. to leave stuff like that lurking in her house for 3 weeks. :eek: I was kind of surprised, because she didn't seem like a slob. Oh, and she never said a word about the clean dishes, garbage or food. :confused:

GaSleepingBeautyFan
04-13-2008, 08:18 PM
I clean a day or so before we leave. I can't stand coming back home to a dirty house either.
Plus I don't want my neighbor who comes in to feed my cat to see a dirty house. LOL

Corjack
04-13-2008, 08:58 PM
I like coming home to a clean house mostly because i know when i get home we are not going to be doing much of anything the first few days and we will be bringing home a TON of dirty laundry. So I especially like to have the laundry all caught up!

Tonite i cleaned out the fridge and we took out all the garbage. I will do another dump Tuesday evening before we leave(especailly the diaper pail)!

jasbellehontas
04-13-2008, 09:13 PM
hahaha. if I came home to a clean house I would swear I was in the wrong house. My mom just asked me yesterday, "if I got you a cleaning lady, where would you tell her to clean first?" I said, "my bathroom." She said, "but that's always clean." yes. i am neurotic about my bathroom so I hardly have time to clean the clutter of toys and mail around the rest of the house. A cleaning lady would never know where anything goes and if she did the bathroom I could use my energy elsewhere.
If I had some barbies and dollies to trip over when I came home from vacation I'd know, "ah. now I'm home."
lol

dddisrunner
04-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Always clean before a vacation! Nothing like coming home to a clean house and clean sheets! Plus i find that it helps keep you busy when the excitement gets to be too much to bear!:goodvibes

5 for WDW
04-13-2008, 09:40 PM
You are not alone!! I clean like a madwoman for days before we leave. I do everything. Dust, wash sheets, vacuum, etc. There is nothing like coming home to a nice clean house after being away.;)

logansmummy
04-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Add me to the list of OCD cleaners. I have a huge ritual before our vacation. I have a list of do's and they all do get done. If I don't use the list something important might get forgot about. My biggest important #1 on the list is clean bedding next to the bed so when we wake up on Vacation Day, I strip the beds, and remake them, the dirty bedding goes into a hamper(my mom always takes it home and washes the old before we get home, I love my OCD mommy & am very thankful, and NO I Dont want her to do that, however, she does, there is no stopping her) My whole house is completely spotless for when we come home, I also the day we leave for Vacation swing by my work (on the way and granted permisson by my boss :thumbsup2 )and throw the remaining garbage into the dumpster. My mom raised me that way. :cutie: She is a good mom and I will tell you when I would go away for a weekend to see family as a child/teenager, I would come home and climb into my bed, the sheets would feel so cold and crispy:lovestruc that is my biggest miss from home, she always went out of her way to make me cozy. I LOVE MY MOM & so appreciate the cleanliness she has thrust upon me. We we come home from Vacation, all we have to do is take the luggage in and put everything away, I do all our laundry before we come home, except what we have on. :rolleyes1 Well I hope everyone has a FABULOUS Vacation and Have a Great TIME! :woohoo: :banana: :cool1:

logansmummy
04-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Oh my goodness isn't that the truth! I think that is where I get all my adrenelin rush from. :lmao:
Always clean before a vacation! Nothing like coming home to a clean house and clean sheets! Plus i find that it helps keep you busy when the excitement gets to be too much to bear!:goodvibes

Corjack
04-14-2008, 11:14 AM
I do all our laundry before we come home, except what we have on.

WOW!!!! I would never do that.....it is MY vacation too. I guess if you have the time and desire it is a good idea!

The Moonk's Mom
04-14-2008, 11:20 AM
We are probably extreme...we wont even go to the park or to the store without our house being fairly clean...but yes, it will be spotless before WDW. And I may not do all of the laundry before we come home, but most of it will be done the night before the last day in the parks. I hate doing laundry for days after we get home!

LAH LAH
04-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Always! And I thought it was just me! :tigger:

teacup317
04-14-2008, 03:55 PM
You are not alone!! I clean like a madwoman for days before we leave. I do everything. Dust, wash sheets, vacuum, etc. There is nothing like coming home to a nice clean house after being away.;)

Oh, so that's what it's called OCD Cleaning--:scared1: :lmao: LOL :lmao: - now I can tell my husband that I'm not alone. :rotfl2:

We don't leave until the 29th and this past weekend I started cleaning. Not only did I start putting stuff out to pack but I cleaned as I went along. In fact, my DH wanted to invite some folks over for dinner and I vetoed the idea, all the stuff we're packing is on top of the dining room table :rotfl: I wasn't going to move all that stuff and move it back again, what a pain in the butt! :goodvibes I'd really like to get my winter stuff put away before we leave, but our weather (Maine) is still a bit chilly in the mornings. But I've got piles of winter clothes all cleaned and ready to go into summer storage.:banana:

I have noticed my DH working in the yard a bit more to get stuff done before we go, black fly season (Maine's state bird) will be in full swing by the time we get back and that really puts a damper on yard work. :eek:

OCD Cleaning.........I like it! Best part, clean house and neat and tidy yard when we get back. :woohoo:

logansmummy
04-14-2008, 04:02 PM
WOW!!!! I would never do that.....it is MY vacation too. I guess if you have the time and desire it is a good idea!

Honestly, it is no big deal to me, we are at the pool anyway? So I have my glass of wine, get a tan get the laundry done....the hubby takes it back to the room. Whoo hooo, win win situation. It is so worth it, for the return home. I can just chill my first day back home, this year we come back home night before Mother's day, so all my stuff will be done except Grocery shopping.

nineandcounting
04-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Ditto :)

jodifla
04-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Before I stopped working full time, I had a housecleaner twice a month.

So, I'd leave the place rather a wreck in our frenzy to get out of Dodge, then I'd come home to a spotless house after our trip.

It was great!

mybabesuz
04-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Add me to the OCD list :rotfl:

I turn into a mad lady the night before we leave:scared1:

I make everyone clean up and tell them we can't go
until the house is clean. :laundy:

I have no idea why :confused3 I just have too...:rolleyes1

joycepa
04-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Count me in!!! I don't know why but I have to come home to a clean house especially the bedsheets.:confused3
DH and I just decided the carpeting has to be cleaned before we go!!!:rotfl2:

Rfam5NJ
04-15-2008, 08:17 AM
We do a thorough cleaning before we leave too. Sure, we're busy and things are hectic right before we leave, but now it's just part of the routine. It feels so much better coming home to a clean house. Kind of extends the vacation feel of not having to really do any housework.

Bethy Lou
04-15-2008, 08:28 AM
I hate coming home to a messy house too, it is nice to not have that stress when you return from a vacation so you can relax before you get back to the real world. So I must be ocd too!

nemomama
04-15-2008, 12:39 PM
That is so funny - I hate coming home to a messy house too! I always have to make sure the house is spotless before we leave. I blame it on my mom - she always made us clean before we went on vacation as kids. :)

javamommy
04-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Same here! I love coming home to a nice clean house so we can just relax and maybe get out vacation laundry done. :thumbsup2

dani blaski
04-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Honestly, it is no big deal to me, we are at the pool anyway? So I have my glass of wine, get a tan get the laundry done....the hubby takes it back to the room. Whoo hooo, win win situation. It is so worth it, for the return home. I can just chill my first day back home, this year we come back home night before Mother's day, so all my stuff will be done except Grocery shopping.

Actually when we stayed at PC for our honeymoon, I did the same thing. We were at the pool, resting and relaxing while we did the wash and dry thing. We only did it once in the middle of our trip, so I did have some laundry when we got home but not bad.

DisneyAprilFool
04-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I always, always, always do a huge cleaning before we go on a big trip- and I also have DH fix anything around the house that has been 'waiting' to be fixed. I'll start the month of the trip and pick up momentum as the day to leave gets closer and closer... Good to see I'm not the only one!

LoveMyDisneyCats
04-16-2008, 12:18 AM
I always try to clean before- I do sheets, vacuum, laundry, dishes, floors, bathrooms. I used to be very OCD about it, but lately I've become a little more lax- I don't necessarily dust. :lmao:

Even if I clean before, I still come home to lots of hair balls and dirty carpets (see cat situation below). Before I had all of my cats, my cleanings actually lasted. But at least all I have to do when I come home is vacuum!

It's a nice feeling!

AKBAFB
04-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Yes! Now I can tell my husband I'm not the only one who does this. My reasoning is twofold: 1. It's so nice to come home to a clean place! 2. I'm a worrier and I would hate for my poor sister and mom to have to go through our messy house if something were to happen to us.

AKBAFB
04-16-2008, 10:29 AM
OT - Hi, Javamommy! I just noticed you're from Omaha! I'm in Lincoln. I never see anyone on these boards from Nebraska. (Or maybe they just don't admit it?) ;)

tami82
04-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I too do this. I HATE to come home to a messy house. I mean im not on my hands & knees scrubing floors on the last day home but will do a big clean a few days before and do light maintenance daily to keep it nice & neat.