PDA

View Full Version : Anyone planned a surprise un-birthday trip?

Twingle
04-12-2008, 09:08 AM
My DS really wants to go to Disney for his birthday, but no dice, it's the end of September, and we just won't pull him out three weeks after school starts.

I'd love to surprise him with an un-birthday trip, but didn't know if anyone has done that? If you have did you do it like an un-birthday, or just pretend it was the actual birthday?

Thanks for any tips!

lighttech
04-12-2008, 05:47 PM
We didn't do an un-birthday, but we did do an un-anniversary. (Our anniversary is in September, but we couldn't go until November.) Honestly, it never really came up. We still got Anniversary buttons at the hotel... b/c we WERE celebrating our Anniversary, even if it was a few months late. And, no one ever asked if it WAS our anniversary. And the folks or CMs that would say "Happy Anniversary" were usually doing it in passing, so we just smiled and thanked them.

I don't think anyone would judge you down there one way or the other really. Its certainly not your son's fault that his birthday falls at a time thats not condusive to Disney-ing. I'd just treat it like its his Birthday, and if it comes up and you want to (which I don't think it would) explain that this is his big birthday present and you are celebrating his birthday even though its a little early/late.

Minniemouse07
04-12-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm actually taking my dd in July for her 7th birthday... just the two of us... because we are never going to take a full out family vacation in the summertime!

I wanted her to celebrate being in WDW ON her birthday and we like the relaxed atmosphere/lack of heat in early December over the heat and crowds of summer for our family vacations. So we are doing a girls only trip!

I would be on the fence about taking her out of school at the end of September too.

Twingle
04-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Thank you so much for your replies! To be honest, it never even occured to me to just say it was his birthday - duh.

I think what I'll do is let Disney know we are CELEBRATING his birthday, not that it IS his birthday. Then he'll get a pin and that'll be nice for him.

Again, thanks for taking the time to read the thread!

:)