PDA

View Full Version : who has shipped anything over from the states

craigs bride
04-06-2008, 09:57 AM
to england ?

im lookiing to buy my wedding gown and my bridemaids/flowers girls dresses via a wedding dress site from the usa and i was wondering what the customs fee if any would be ?

fatdave42
04-06-2008, 11:17 AM
I get snowglobes for about $75 a time and each time HMC have hit me each time for about 15.

meryll83
04-06-2008, 11:22 AM
I think customs charges can potentially be up to about 30%......
It depends on whether or not they decide to check your item as to whether or not it gets charged - I've had things get charged before and things not.....

wayneg
04-06-2008, 11:27 AM
I have found sending with USPS I don't get charged the import duty most of the time, although it does still happen. Been charged twice out of about 50 packages.
Items sent thru UPS and other couriers I have been charged on every item.
Only advice I would give is get it well insured, they are all as bad as each other for damage and losses. I am still waiting for a package sent in Jan from a friend, not looking good now, worth over $300 and he has lost the reciept.

PaulaSB12
04-06-2008, 11:41 AM
I had a cat sratching post shipped over by cargo ship from Sunshine Florida! Its a monster 6ft 3 tall and 2ft wide and 2ft long getting the code from customs was fun and it cost about 79 in import duties.

oceanscape
04-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Anything valued at over around $70 will be charged for VAT and the administration fee. Some companies/individuals are willing to put a low value on the customs form (obviously I've never requested this :rolleyes1 , because it's probably against the law) to avoid you getting charged.

If the package is small in size, and sent via USPS then it will be dealt with by Royal Mail and might be lucky and get through without charge. If it's large then ParcelForce take over and they make sure every item is billed if it's above the threshold. Same with UPS/DHL/FedEx.

Tinks1984
04-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I ordered t-shirts for our upcoming trip in Feb this year, sent them over with an approx. 4.00 tax charge, but then Royal Mail put an 8.50 'handling charge' onto this also. I did wonder what they did when it come to 'handling' the parcel, as all the seemed to do was leave me a card through the door asking me to 'collect the parcel at the sorting office' as it had a charge to pay. So they didn't really do much for their 8.50!! This did baffle me a little...

wayneg
04-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I ordered t-shirts for our upcoming trip in Feb this year, sent them over with an approx. 4.00 tax charge, but then Royal Mail put an 8.50 'handling charge' onto this also. I did wonder what they did when it come to 'handling' the parcel, as all the seemed to do was leave me a card through the door asking me to 'collect the parcel at the sorting office' as it had a charge to pay. So they didn't really do much for their 8.50!! This did baffle me a little...

I believe the fee is for collecting any duty, not for handling the goods, that is already paid for in shipping and handling charges paid in US.

~Piglet~
04-06-2008, 03:34 PM
My sister bought her dress from the US last year, after trying on the same dress in the UK she bought it online from the US for a fraction of the price. The seller marked the dress as a gift, and when it arrived she had to pay 60. She remembered to change the size when ordering too! Imagine if she hadn't....:scared1: :)

wifey
04-06-2008, 03:34 PM
I work for Royal Mail Revenue Protection and we have been told there is a clamp down going on with customs charges. You all need to take a look at
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_001454&propertyType=document

This is what Royal Mail work off and there are new standards we need to keep, it's not just Royal Mail you are paying it's the government too. Royal Mail pay the charges up front and then claim it back just the same as UPS FedEx and DHL.
I have posted this link to help you work out your charges from HM Customs and Excise, not to upset anyone.

oceanscape
04-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Royal Mail pay the charges up front and then claim it back just the same as UPS FedEx and DHL.
Yes, but Royal Mail/ParcelForce refuse to deliver the items until the duties have been paid, with FedEx/DHL you get sent an invoice a couple weeks later. Much more convenient.

Royal Mail/PForce rip everyone off with their disgustingly high admin fee, too.

Laurafoster
04-07-2008, 08:05 AM
I had my wedding dress cleaned over there after the wedding and shipped home to the UK - as we were going on the cruise and didnt want to have to cart all the wedding stuff back with us. The dress was purchased in the UK.
When it arrived back Parcel Force refused to deliver it until i paid the VAT on the dress....i explained that i purchased it in the UK and that it was simply being shipped back to the UK for convenience. On the front of the box it stated the same thing. It took me almost 5 weeks to sort it out before they would give me the dress! Even though i had the UK receipt to prove it?!

Jakey Rowling
04-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Duty and VAT rates can be found here, I assume it would come under clothing.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_009989&propertyType=document

Beep
04-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Oh this is a can of worms!

Right, here you go. I wanted to buy my dress from the internet and have it delivered to the UK. No problem with paying 12% (I think it was) customs and then vat. The customs charge is payable on the whole amount including delivery charges, but it still worked out much cheaper than buying the dress in the UK - around 300 less.

So, then I found a bridal shop in Orlando who I could ship my dress to and they would hold it for me, steam it and then bring it to the hotel room. Great. Apart from the fact that if you ship anything over $100 worth you pay their customs and duty on it. It doesn't matter where or who you ship it to, even yourself at a hotel room, you pay the charges.

I wanted to ship it back to the UK after the wedding too and, yep, I would have had to pay UK customs and duty charge all over again.

The customs guy told me the best thing to do was to take the dress as a personal item in checked luggage to Orlando, and bring it back as checked luggage, with a receipt to show I had bought the dress and paid any customs and duty on it if it was ordered from abroad. He also said that to qualify as a personal item it had to be over 6 months old.

I went to a local bridal shop, paid full price for the dress (and got a load of extras after haggling hard) and bought a box from the Empty Box Company to transport it and store it afterwards.

When I factored in the original customs and duty amount, alterations with a local seeamstress etc it actually worked out not much cheaper than buying it over here. They are giving me a free headpiece, storage, reduced alterations cost and crinoline petticoat. I also have the piece of mind that if they alter it and b*gger it up it is their responsibility not mine!

It really pays to do your homework and sums before you buy from the internet.

Hope that helps :thumbsup2

lisaj
04-08-2008, 02:31 PM
We also regularly order items from USA as my DD became addicted to my american girl dolls while on holiday last year. On an order of approx $130 plus p&p we were charged 31.50 which was about half a customs fee and half a Royal Mail handling fee. I felt that the customs fee was justified as I was importing the doll and clothes but did feel a bit ripped off on my five year olds behalf for the 15.50 charge for the Royal Mail to send me a bill and then re-deliver.

As previously posted the exact duty amounts can be calculated following the HMRCS website

craigs bride
04-09-2008, 10:19 AM
thank you all for your replies will have a look at all the info supplied