PDA

View Full Version : Rental cars? -- Expensive!

java
04-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Holy minivan batman!! I am floored by the rental prices and about ready to pop my head off.
There are 6 of us so I am thinking we need a big minivan with us and the luggage. Now the dilema- The cheapest I am finding for 10 days is $580 and that's with combining codes like a ninja.
Am I doing something wrong? Is there some secret car rental genie I need to find??
(oh why couldn't we just drive)

Oh and I am assuming we need a car because we are starting at Universal for 2 days- so no magical express for us.

aquaticmom
04-02-2008, 06:50 PM
If you share your dates and pick-up and return times, we all may be able to help a little more.

java
04-02-2008, 06:51 PM
travel
June27 11AM-July6 4PM picking up at MCO

And would the regular minivan(chevy Uplander size) fit 4 bags in the trunk? Because the price goes down about $70 if I go down in size.

CarolA
04-02-2008, 07:00 PM
We have the problem... That weekend. YIKES

aquaticmom
04-02-2008, 07:15 PM
7 passenger mini-van with National for $436.07, but you stated you needed a larger van, so I'm not sure that would work for you. We had a Chevy Uplander in January with 5 or 6 bags and golf clubs, no problem.
Code: visa code 8572987 Coupon: $35 E-Coupon ND2119071Q

java
04-03-2008, 06:24 AM
7 passenger mini-van with National for $436.07, but you stated you needed a larger van, so I'm not sure that would work for you. We had a Chevy Uplander in January with 5 or 6 bags and golf clubs, no problem.
Code: visa code 8572987 Coupon: $35 E-Coupon ND2119071Q

:thumbsup2 THANK YOU! That's better and I think we might be able to squeeze into that. (luggage is the problem for 6 people I'll have to think Pack Light!)

wdwgypsy
04-03-2008, 07:38 AM
I would suggest heavy comparison shopping using codes and contract numbers like they show over at mouse savers. http://www.mousesavers.com/rentalcar.html some companies let you stack coupons and codes, some don't

Try kayak, booking buddy, hotwire, orbitz, any other discount place you can think of. Move your pick up and drop off times around to see if the price drops. Renting off airport saves you a 10% airport concession recovery fee but may not be practical for you. Moving your pick up time to 4 PM would save you an extra rental day as well. But that might not be an option.

If you are on staying on site I would take ME to the hotel and then get the rental company to pick you up from there to pick up the car. If thats not an option just keep shopping. I have already changed reservation 3 times for a trip in may because I found better deals.

seashoreCM
04-03-2008, 07:51 AM
I would suggest heavy comparison shopping
Try again every few days, too. Prices change almost daily.

Regrettably on line travel agents including Travelocity, Orbitz, and Expedia have given customers grief when it comes to making changes and getting customer service in general. It is generally better to look there but to book directly with the rental company.

There are local and regional events such as Daytona Week that many folks don't know about but which can affect rental car prices as far away (from Daytona Beach) as Tampa.

Car rental hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/carrent.htm

bab31
04-03-2008, 09:25 PM
priceline