PDA

View Full Version : Airtran - worth upgrading to Business Class?

tinkntraining
04-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Has anyone ever upgraded to business class after arriving at the airport? If so, was the extra seat/leg room/privacy worth it? I would never pay full price to get business class, but upgrading for $40 a ticket might be in my budget -- if it's worth it. We are a family of 4 (some of us pooh-sized) and would love to sit 2x2 (only available in business class). Thanks for your advice!

prncess674
04-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Where are you flying from? Remember it is on a space available basis. I have done it before, but I am not a family of 4. You don't get anything great other than a slightly larger seat and one or two complimentary cocktails. It isn't like flying a great international carrier across the Atlantic ocean in a private mini cabin with footrest, etc.

Also realize that the fee STARTS at $40 per person and can go up to $80 per person depending on distance traveled PER SEGMENT. The fee is also per segment, so if you go LAX-ATL-MCO the fee one way per person would be $120 one way per person.

kristenrice
04-02-2008, 12:27 PM
I am curious about this as well. It will be me and my friend with my 2 young DD's (ages 3 and 5) on a non-stop (so far) from DTW-MCO. For another $180each way, I can upgrade us (my family) to business class. My friend would pay the extra $60 for herself. I would like extra legroom, mainly for my "little seatkickers" and I have never flown anything but bargain-basement coach. It seems like a reasonable price. I assume since the upgrade has to be made at the gate, I could do it for only one leg of the trip, right? It might be nice to fly down in the upgraded class and then just return in coach as planned. Plus, a little cocktail would be nice.:drinking:

WillCAD
04-02-2008, 12:53 PM
I've only flown AirTran once - back in 2002 - but on my return flight I paid at check-in to upgrade to business class. At the time, it was only $15, and it was worth every penny, just for the extra leg room (I'm 6'-4" tall). But these days, I might be tempted to do it even at $40, because I'm now quite a bit wider than I was in those days, and the Business Class seats are much wider, deeper, and more comfortable than standard coach seats.

cbrfan
04-02-2008, 02:39 PM
We upgrade every once in a while. We're also Pooh-size people and the extra room is a nice plus. You don't really get all that much more perk-wise, and the extra attention varies from flight to flight. On our last trip a few weeks ago we had 2 flight attendants for the 12 seats in business class and we had constant attention. The trip before we only had one FA that also working in coach, so I think she only checked back with us once or twice. So we basically only upgrade for the additional comfort. If you want to check on the price of an upgrade, go to AirTran's site and click on the "business class" tab. BTW, it states the charge is by segment, but we've only been charged the single fee for a connecting flight. It's best to ask when you get the to desk. If you're planning on trying to snag an upgrade, get to the airport early as it's first-come, first-serve.

kimmie
04-02-2008, 04:45 PM
I have done it at check in at the airport. United charged $35 but it was worth it! I am looking to do it again in May to Las Vegas. I have to wait until I check in on line 24 hours before the flight, since I am not a premier member. Keeping my fingers crossed that seats are still available.

idlewoman1
04-02-2008, 05:37 PM
My husband has upgraded twice on his flights from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale and said it was well worth the $40 as he is a bigger guy and the extra space made the flight much more comfy for him. We are gonna try this time to upgrade if seats are available.:rotfl:

tinkntraining
04-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies! I have decided to do it and just keeping our fingers crossed that they'll be 4 seats left! If I really love it, I might do it on the return flight, too! Heck, I've waited 41 years, might as well do it right!

cbrfan
04-02-2008, 06:26 PM
If you're an A+ Rewards member, you can upgrade the day before your flight for 4 credits per person. For us, that's the best use of our credits, as we don't usually pay as much for our flights as we would spend on upgrades.