PDA

View Full Version : Any rental companies allow 16yo additional driver?

Barb D
04-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I've called Alamo and National, and no go. Anybody know of any car rental companies that will allow a 16yo as an additional driver? I'm often too ill to drive, but I would be in the car with him. We're staying onsite, but will be driving to Maitland for my niece's wedding (the real reason for the trip.) I had hoped to rent the car on site.

delmar411
04-01-2008, 03:45 PM
no. At least have to be 18 and then it's a huge extra fee until you are 25.

Lewisc
04-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Very few crental agencies will even rent to an 18 year old. Hertz will rent to an 18 year only in NY and MI with a daily surcharge of $40-$50.

All the previous threads I've read were renters 21-24 who were trying to find a rental company with "reasonable" surcharges.

I think the chance of finding an agency that will allow a 16 year old as an additional driver is near zero. The chance of finding an agency that will allow
a 16 year old to drive without outrgeous insurance and surcharges (I'd consider a $100 daily surcharge as being very reasonable for an 18 year old would be zero.

See if another family member can pick you up. Offer to pay for gas. Alternately hire a car service. Happy limo has a rate of $115 R/T from MCO to Maitland area hotels. The rate will probably be higher from a WDW resort but the alternative is you driving.

Barb D
04-01-2008, 03:53 PM
That's what I was afraid of. I have good days, bad days, and horrendous days. I'll just have to hope for good days or get someone to come and get us for the wedding. We're using DME to get to the resort, and I've left myself a couple of days before the wedding to recover from traveling. The kids are familiar enough with WDW to travel around by themselves if need be.

nutsforgolf
04-02-2008, 10:06 AM
That's what I was afraid of. I have good days, bad days, and horrendous days. I'll just have to hope for good days or get someone to come and get us for the wedding. We're using DME to get to the resort, and I've left myself a couple of days before the wedding to recover from traveling. The kids are familiar enough with WDW to travel around by themselves if need be.

Why don't you just let him drive if you feel to sick. The only risk you have is if you get pulled over or get involved in an accident. In that case, I would just say that you were too sick to drive and you allowed him to drive. I can't imagine that in case of an emergency he could't drive. Is he an insured driver? if so, wouldn't his insurance cover him normally no matter what car he drives?

It just sounds like your situation warrants him driving in those cases.

Lewisc
04-02-2008, 10:12 AM
NO NO NO Personal auto policies, and credit card coverage, only apply if you're operating the rental car within the terms of the rental agreement. An additional driver, that isn't listed in the contract, is a violation of the contract. An additional driver that is so young that the rental agency would never approve that person as an additional driver gives the OP absolutely no wiggle room.

The OP can probably book a car service for not that much more then what a two day car rental would cost. Much better solution.

I was going to first agree with you, if the 16 year old was driving the OP to the hospital, but in that case calling an ambulance would be the appropriate course of action.

edited to add: A 16 year old, driving a rental car without being listed (and approved) as an additional driver, isn't that much different then stealing the car. It's certainly possible that some Florida law might be violated.

Why don't you just let him drive if you feel to sick. The only risk you have is if you get pulled over or get involved in an accident. In that case, I would just say that you were too sick to drive and you allowed him to drive. I can't imagine that in case of an emergency he could't drive. Is he an insured driver? if so, wouldn't his insurance cover him normally no matter what car he drives?

CarolA
04-02-2008, 10:17 AM

I would NOT do this. If you are in an accident you have violated the terms of the rental and ALL bets are off.

As Lewis points out since you have violated the terms no insurance is going to cover you and your are personally liable. And that means not only for damage to the car but for medical, damage to other cars etc.....

Brian Noble
04-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Look into booking a towncar (not a taxi). A 30 mile trip is comparable to an MCO round trip, or about $100 give or take.