PDA

View Full Version : Booking air

Philagoofy
04-01-2008, 09:45 AM
How early do you book?

I found non-stops with USAir, pretty good price, times very good but we travel with a lot of bags, at least 2 per person, so we'd have to add another $50.00. Airtran, at this point, doesn't charge for 2 checked bags & the price is lower but one of the flights has 1 stop. We took Airtran last year, wasn't too bad & we'd be saving some money, just spending a little longer getting home. Which is better than taking longer to get there!

Anyway, do you book early or wait till the time gets closer?

Bob P
04-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi,

Waiting for airfare is like playing the stock market! Sometimes you look really smart by waiting, and sometimes, well...not so smart. Sometimes the price will go up, and sometimes it will go down.

Are you a gambler? My opinion is: if you are comfortable with the price now you should book it.

Jestocost
04-01-2008, 10:13 AM
It's a big game of chicken, really. Any fare sales likely won't come out until closer to your dates (2-3 months out), so waiting for those is your best chance of getting lower fares. I'm not touching the $800+ round trips now out there from AA for our Thanksgiving trip to WDW, for example, because I know they'll come down at least a little bit when SWA releases fares later in the summer. It's a high demand period, however, so I'm not going to wait too long.

There's no guarantee that there will even be a fare sale, on the other hand, so you always could see fares increase or seats become unavailable on your preferred flights. That just happened to me on tickets I've been looking at, and I finally had to bite the bullet and pay $50 per ticket more than I would have last week because I waited to see if the sale for $100 less per ticket would be extended (it ends in the middle of our trip, annoyingly). It was a good thing I did too, since there were very few seats left on the plane.

DVCsince02
04-01-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm in the same boat.

We leave in 47 days and I'm still searching for airfare. I can get $79 pp down, but returns are $99 and up. In the past I have waited and gotten great deals as low as $47 one-way pp. We can always drive but with 2 small children, it's not our preferred method.

UGH!:confused3

Jestocost
04-01-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm in the same boat.

We leave in 47 days and I'm still searching for airfare. I can get $79 pp down, but returns are $99 and up. In the past I have waited and gotten great deals as low as $47 one-way pp. We can always drive but with 2 small children, it's not our preferred method.

I think the days of $47 pp each way are gone for the forseeable future. I would kill for a $178 rt right now vs. the $802 (plus tax) that AA is quoting today for STL-MCO in late November.

Philagoofy
04-01-2008, 02:19 PM
I know it's impossible predicting airfare. I guess what I worry about, which I shouldn't, is what if we have to cancel. I'm not going to get refundable, that would be way too expensive and we've never had to cancel. I'm just a worrier. Although there is a little of wondering if it'll get cheaper.;)

Guess I should just go for it before the good departure times are gone.

Nedebpats
04-01-2008, 08:22 PM
I think some of the flights are going up now be it from fuel charges or whatever. My return flight for my July trip that I booked on 2/27 for 99.00 is now up to 334.00 one way. (MCO to Boston)

Philagoofy
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm in the same boat.

I see you're from Delaware, where do you leave from, is it Philly? The lowest I found was $99 not including tax & $109 return (we're coming back from Ft Myers instead of Orlando). I thought that was good but your price is even better.

mitchwebb
04-01-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm playing the waiting game for Thankgiving also. We are lucky to have three major airports within a 30 min drive. I was hoping for the United Nonstop from San Francisco but at $800 x 5 that is out of our budget. I will wait for SW unless I see something really good in the next couple of months.

For those still looking for flights do you have your hotel already? I have 5 days at a DVC rental but want to add dates at the beginning and end but don't know what to add since I don't have the flight. Sort of stuck!