PDA

View Full Version : Comments on US Airway

poonlam
04-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Hello all,

I am a traveller in Hong Kong and will go to Orlando this summer - June from Las Vegas. I found that the schedule and price of US Airways is pretty good but I am not sure in terms of their safety, luggage lost, delay and service. Thus, pls all of you give me some opinion before I make my final decision of this airline so that I will have a wonderful honeymoon in Las Vagas + Orlando Disney World.

Thanks All

safetymom
04-01-2008, 05:11 AM
Welcome to the DIS. There hasn't been any safety issues with US Airways. Service is OK. You shouldn't have any problems with luggage.

DISNEYmooner2008
04-01-2008, 07:01 PM
We flew US AIR from NC to Orlando in January and really enjoyed it. I will say we had nothing to compare it to because it was our first flight, but we did enjoy it more than Delta which is what we flew home.

Them!
04-02-2008, 01:04 PM
I have flown many miles on USAirways as they are homebased here in AZ and have many direct flights. I personally think they are an average airline as far as customer service, baggage etc. I really haven't had any big problems with them and I flew them enough to even earn first class tix to Disney last year! I would pick them if they had the right price and schedule. On a scale of 1-10 I would give 'em a 6.5.
Honeymoon...hurray!

uva185
04-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I fly about 150,000 miles per year on Delta and US. Here is my 2 cents. US Airway's safety record is fine (as true with any US Airline). Their service is very sub par. I personally think any of the legacy airlines have better service (both on board and ground personnel). If you are on a non-stop flight from LAS-MCO I do not think there will be any problems with your luggage. That said it would probably be in your best interest to take US if you can get a nonstop for a good price. That will minimize a lot of the problems you could face. If there is a delay at least you need not worry about making your connecting flight.

thebigk
04-02-2008, 08:19 PM
We flew US Air last year to Legoland California. They delayed us 14 HOURS in Phoenix. THen they didn't want to help get us to our destination. After having security threatened on a few of us passengers for complaining, the best they could do was $5 each airport food coupons, $250 travel vouchers on their airline (Which pretty much everyone refused) & free ground transportation (taxi) from Long Beach to Carlsbad, CA.

poonlam
04-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Hi All,

Finally I decided my honeymoon schedule as follows :

LAX - LAS - MOC - WAS - JFK for 19 days to and from HKG

As you know, I come from Hong Kong. From our country, we will only have international flight but no domestic flight (as HK is small la). So, we always check-in and checked the luggage at the HK airport.

Now, I have booked Southwest from LAX to LAS, US Airways from LAS to MCO, Jetblue from MCO to IAD and IAD to JFK.

Since the 'flight culture' is different between HK & USA, I want to know can I bring along with my luggage to checkin at the airport rather than throught on-line checkin system (since I am travelling, it is difficult to found a computer wi internet surface and printer for print out, also, time consuming I think !), what is the disadvantage such as seat arrangement, any extra charges if I go to the airport to checkin?

Please help me and let me know more if I decide t checkin at the airport !

Thanks in advance.

Poon Lam
from HK

uva185
04-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Hi All,

Finally I decided my honeymoon schedule as follows :

LAX - LAS - MOC - WAS - JFK for 19 days to and from HKG

As you know, I come from Hong Kong. From our country, we will only have international flight but no domestic flight (as HK is small la). So, we always check-in and checked the luggage at the HK airport.

Now, I have booked Southwest from LAX to LAS, US Airways from LAS to MCO, Jetblue from MCO to IAD and IAD to JFK.

Since the 'flight culture' is different between HK & USA, I want to know can I bring along with my luggage to checkin at the airport rather than throught on-line checkin system (since I am travelling, it is difficult to found a computer wi internet surface and printer for print out, also, time consuming I think !), what is the disadvantage such as seat arrangement, any extra charges if I go to the airport to checkin?

Please help me and let me know more if I decide t checkin at the airport !

Thanks in advance.

Poon Lam
from HK
Ok. I will break this down by airline since each airline has different policies. You will be able to check in with your luggage in person for no additional fee. However if you choose to use outside curbside checkin some airlines (including US Airways) charge $2 per checked bag. There is no charge if you checkin inside with a ticket agent.

Southwest
Open seating. You will be given a number at time of checkin. You have to board in this order so the earlier you check in the closer you will be to the front of the boarding line allowing you a greater selection of seats. You do not need to print anything out. I recommend you check in online exactly 24 hours before your flight even if you cannot print your boarding pass. When you get to the airport go to the checkin counter and have them reprint your boarding pass. This will get you a better boarding number. This will be a short flight but you should recieve a complimentary non-alcoholic drink and peanuts.

US Airways
This flight will be on a Airbus A320. I have provided a link to the seatmap below. No complimentary meal will be served in coach on this flight. "Buy on Board" meals are available for purchase. They usually include a sandwich and a few snacks for $5-$8. US Airways sells upgrades to First Class starting 24 hours prior to departure if seats are still open. The cost for this route is $150 per person. You would call reservations or inquire at check in. However US Airways First Class is not exactly top notch. You would receive a hot meal, complimentary alcoholic beverages, and a larger seat. A movie followed by a few tv shows will be the inflight entertainment.

**US Airways has recently changed their checked baggage policy. You will only be allowed 1 free checked bag per person. The second checked bag will cost $25.

US Airways Seat Map (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/US_Airways/US_Airways_Airbus_A320.php) (Your plane will not have power ports at the seats)
"Buy on Board" Meals for Purchase
"Go First" Paid Upgrades (http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/traveltools/intheair/envoyfirst/goupgrades.aspx)
In Flight Entertainment & Services (http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/traveltools/intheair/default.aspx)

Jet Blue
I do not know as much about Jet Blue. The plane is an all coach class configuration. Seats closer to the front have an additional 4" of legroom and can be pre-reserved for a nominal fee. ($10-$15) Jet Blue offers free satellite tv programming at each seat (about 30 channels). While there is no inflight meal I believe Jet Blue has a nice variety of snacks....well at least more than pretzels and peanuts.

Jet Blue Seatmap (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/JetBlue_Airways/JetBlue_Airways_Airbus_A320.php)

poonlam
04-03-2008, 06:01 AM
Dear uva185,

Thanks for your information !

By the way, what is the meaning of 'outside curbside checkin' & 'There is no charge if you checkin inside with a ticket agent', please elaborate more. Thx !

As far as I understanding, does it mean that first come (first checkin) first serve (have a better chance to select seat) for the Southwest ?

Thx !

Poon Lam