PDA

View Full Version : Did I book my airfare too soon?

thefaultline
03-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi everyone,

Tonight I purchased my airfare from southwest and ended up paying $540 for two people round trip. I was very surprised to pay that much for airfare to Orlando from Philadelphia!

What are the odds that southwest will release a Ding! fare thus making me feel very foolish, I admit to panicking over the cost of oil thinking that the longer I waited the more it would cost.

cbrfan
03-31-2008, 08:31 PM
If you're comfortable with what you paid, you didn't book too early. Especially if oil keeps going the way it has been. If a DING comes out you should be able to recoup some of your money, either in the form of a credit toward a future flight or a refund. I'm sure some SWA flyers will be better able to advise you on this.

Hedy
03-31-2008, 08:32 PM
It's one of those platitudes that gets repeated over and over on the these boards-if you can live with $540 for two people, you didn't make a bad choice. With gas prices going up, and the airlines losing money, I'd strike while the iron is hot.

banjobears
03-31-2008, 08:48 PM
I think you made the right diecision. That is less than $300.00 per person, the prices I am getting for next Octorber are over #300.00 a person. Now you can rest and know that you have your airfare taken care of.

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Less than 5 weeks until I go to Disney

kmurawski
03-31-2008, 09:02 PM
We paid about $800 for 3 tickets for June on Southwest. The current price is up to $1100. Still waiting for price to drop.

pumpkinboy
04-01-2008, 09:06 AM
You can track the price of your same itinerary and get an email if you might be due a refund by using YAPTA (http://www.yapta.com) (an acronym for "your amazing personal travel assistant" or some such). It works for most of the airlines I fly (not sure about Southwest).

What you do is, you go to the YAPTA site, download some software (some consider it spyware bcs it does track when you are on a travel site). But that software enables you to tag a flight combination and track the price until it reaches a level at which you wish to buy. For purchased itineraries, you put in your itinerary number, flight numbers and price paid. If the price goes down low enough, YAPTA will send you an email telling you it's time to re-book at the lower rate and get a refund. It's pretty cool.

Enjoy!

thefaultline
04-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the commentary and advice! I was a little freaked out to see my total for the airfare... last year i remember the $49 ding fares so it was a surprise! From looking at airfare comparison sites it seems like the rates have gone up since I brought my tickets so i am glad i brought when I did. Hopefully southwest will release a Ding! fare that works with my trip plan and I'll be able to get a credit.

n2mm
04-03-2008, 07:00 AM
I think that was high. I'm going the same time and will wait. I just bought my October fare out of Wash. DC for $129 rt, and my fare for my trip later this month is $109 rt. Summer fares are high right now, but August does tend to see lower fares. I generally waiting until 2 months and as little as 3 weeks before buying fares unless I see a good deal. Good thing you booked with SW, you most likely will get a credit.

java
04-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Don't forget about
http://www.farecast.com/

It will give you "probability" of flight price increases or decreases. I was looking at Phili when we were thinking of flying out of there and they suggested waiting yesterday. - but it wasn't southwest.
Taking into account what you are paying per person I paid about the same for the 6 of us if that make you feel any better. I needed 6 seats together so I didn't want to wait to long to book. And I am ok with that fare. If you are comfortable with it then forget it and enjoy your trip! One thing DONE!

DisneyMomx7
04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
JAVA - Are you flying??????

java
04-03-2008, 08:14 AM
YES!! I have completely lost my mind and I am blaming it on the Spring Break with the kids home. The thought of driving 16 hours with them vs. the 3 hour plane ride- well I picked the plane! And I will be talking to my Doctor about a Xanax!

wdwgypsy
04-03-2008, 12:46 PM
YES!! I have completely lost my mind and I am blaming it on the Spring Break with the kids home. The thought of driving 16 hours with them vs. the 3 hour plane ride- well I picked the plane! And I will be talking to my Doctor about a Xanax!

Xanax for you or the kids??:eek: :rolleyes2 pirate:

DisneyMomx7
04-03-2008, 12:58 PM

Good for You!

What airline are you flying?

I just booked ours today - Air Tran $79 each way per person (plus all those other fees). I booked everyone's flights except ours since DH is using AMEX points for our flight. Hopefully he'll get to it today (Tax season - he's a CPA, you do the math!).

I changed our trip from Sunday-Sunday to Tuesday-Tuesday since the Sunday fares were outrageous!

dgaston
04-03-2008, 01:06 PM
We have a trip planned in late July and I grabbed 2 $89 fares on SWA. Return was $104. Those are the lowest prices I've seen in a while. I don't mind paying that at all, considering what has happened to oil prices.

We often fly at peak seasons, Christmas and President's week, where SWA fares came out at over $200 each way, never dropped, and no Dings.

wdwgypsy
04-03-2008, 01:56 PM
It never ceases to amaze me all the things you can learn from the exchange of experiences. I had considered myself a seasoned traveller and airline passenger and only in the last few days had I heard of YAPTA. I hope it works for me!

Keep up the good work folks.

'OhanaMama
04-03-2008, 04:06 PM
We have a trip planned in late July and I grabbed 2 $89 fares on SWA. Return was $104. Those are the lowest prices I've seen in a while. I don't mind paying that at all, considering what has happened to oil prices.

We often fly at peak seasons, Christmas and President's week, where SWA fares came out at over $200 each way, never dropped, and no Dings.

We are flying in early December, is that too early for "Christmas Season" prices OR is Thanksgiving through New Year's considered "Christmas Season"? We have never vacationed during the holidays. Thanks!

PURTYPAT1
04-03-2008, 05:00 PM
You can track the price of your same itinerary and get an email if you might be due a refund by using YAPTA (http://www.yapta.com) (an acronym for "your amazing personal travel assistant" or some such). It works for most of the airlines I fly (not sure about Southwest).

What you do is, you go to the YAPTA site, download some software (some consider it spyware bcs it does track when you are on a travel site). But that software enables you to tag a flight combination and track the price until it reaches a level at which you wish to buy. For purchased itineraries, you put in your itinerary number, flight numbers and price paid. If the price goes down low enough, YAPTA will send you an email telling you it's time to re-book at the lower rate and get a refund. It's pretty cool.

Enjoy!

If the price goes down low enough, YAPTA will send you an email telling you it's time to re-book at the lower rate and get a refund.

My question, is if you rebook, Don't you have to pay a $100.00 fee?

Pumpkinboy, did you book for President's week 2009 as of yet?

dgaston
04-03-2008, 08:26 PM
For 'OhanaMama: Our trip was Christmas week. I think you may find better fares in early December, and I even remember a few Dings for times other than our week.

cbrfan
04-03-2008, 09:31 PM
If the price goes down low enough, YAPTA will send you an email telling you it's time to re-book at the lower rate and get a refund.

Pumpkinboy, did you book for President's week 2009 as of yet?

It depends on the airline you're booked on. I know AirTran and SWA don't charge the change fee. Though AirTran may or may not charge a $10 phone fee. I don't know about the other airlines.

bcuinohio
04-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi everyone,

Tonight I purchased my airfare from southwest and ended up paying $540 for two people round trip. I was very surprised to pay that much for airfare to Orlando from Philadelphia!

What are the odds that southwest will release a Ding! fare thus making me feel very foolish, I admit to panicking over the cost of oil thinking that the longer I waited the more it would cost.

I think that if you got under $300 you did OK. Someting better may come up and it may not. I booked my airfare from Cleveland to Orlando and it was about $300 each on Continental. I have been watching the fares and I may have saved about $40 each if I had waited but I was able to get the exact flights I wanted and reserved seating to keep my family together.

uva185
04-04-2008, 01:19 AM
Hi everyone,

When are you traveling? Personally I think that is a lot to fly to Orlando from PHL. I usually fly from the DC area and flights are usually around $150-170 per person. If you don't mind driving to BWI I know those prices exist for travel in May as I just booked a quick getaway.

As a general rule of thumb I do not book flights more than 2 months out. Usually I book between 14-30 days out depending on the fare rules and advance purchase requirements of the fare I am looking at. Airlines routinely offer new sale fares but they usually don't offer them 8 months in advance.

EDIT: Random dates in May show roundtrip travel from PHK-MCO for $190 r/t per person including taxes.

pumpkinboy
04-04-2008, 10:15 AM

Pumpkinboy, did you book for President's week 2009 as of yet?Yapta calculates in any rebooking fees ($25-$100 depending on airline), and send you email if the price-point is reached. I will both jump on any fare that we can live with, knowing that fares are unlikely to drop all that much in this environment of rising fuel costs.

I have not yet booked Presidents' week airfare; I haven't found anything I can live with yet. I am hoping to use jetBlue frequent flyer miles for one or more of our tix, but we'll see. I think I am booking five tix, the four of us plus my Mom (who loves to come to Vero with us), but we may end up booking piecemeal. I dunno. I think we'll wait longer to book this year, and will consider flying Southwest out of Manchester or Providence, even tho we're a mere 13 miles from Boston Logan.

I am actively watching interesting itineraries on YAPTA tho. I am gonna try Farecast too.

ninahbear
04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
For our Sept. 06 trip I booked the airfare a little early and paid a more than what I thought it should have been. A few months later I noticed the fares were lower so I just adjusted my reservation through the website and got a credit. Then in January I used that credit for a trip with just my DS and sister left hubby at home.

java
04-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Good for You!

What airline are you flying?

I just booked ours today - Air Tran $79 each way per person (plus all those other fees). I booked everyone's flights except ours since DH is using AMEX points for our flight. Hopefully he'll get to it today (Tax season - he's a CPA, you do the math!).

I changed our trip from Sunday-Sunday to Tuesday-Tuesday since the Sunday fares were outrageous!
Yeah I'm paying way more than that. We are flying Continental based on availability ect. We needed specific times. And yeah Sunday return is killing us but we have to. Well we all don't have to but dh does and I'm not flying alone with the kids.Shoot and thanks for the reminder about taxes!! You still going end of July?

DVCsince02
04-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, I think you paid way too much. If I were you I would keep checking prices and get the adjustment.

We fly PHL to MCO quite often and refuse to pay more than $100pp each way. No worries though, like other posters said, just get the adjustment.

Good Luck!