PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when others think you are silly because you are going back again to DW

youngaussienurse
03-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi everyone,
My twin and I went to disneyland in 2004, all the way from Australia for a "Once off trip of a lifetime"......then we became fellow disney addicts and HAD to go to WDW in 2005 for another "once off trip" ....... then we went again in 2007 to celebrate finishing our Masters of Nursing and buying a house ....so that was our "last hurrah trip"......hehehe see the trend!
So anyway we have been saving like mad and working extra shifts and overtime at work to pay fo our upcoming trip that we have just booked (and payed off eeekkk) in Oct this year. This is the "Splurge trip" as we are staying at the Contemporary for 6 nights/ 7 days at WDW, then going to Disneyland (because, well the plane leaves from LA to take us back to Aussie land, so we thought we might as well do DL while we are there) so we are doing 3 nights/ 3 days at the DL hotel. We are absolute disneyholics and luckily we work in recovery room together and can chat frequently about our plans...gets us through the hard shifts!! My problem is that when our work mates found out that we were going back AGAIN.....they all keep going on about how we should do something different this time....we are wasting our money.....we are silly......etc etc etc..to the point that I just don't mention it anymore. The thing is it is what WE want to do, we love it there and they have NO idea about WDW or DL ,as in Australia, most people wouldn't even think of going there (unless they had kids who they wanted to take). It is SOOO frustrating that others don;t understand.....What do other people do in this situation????:confused3

Grandbuddy
03-30-2008, 09:17 PM
This is the "Splurge trip" as we are staying at the Contemporary for 6 nights/ 7 days at WDW, then going to Disneyland (because, well the plane leaves from LA to take us back to Aussie land, so we thought we might as well do DL while we are there) so we are doing 3 nights/ 3 days at the DL hotel. We are absolute disneyholics and luckily we work in recovery room together and can chat frequently about our plans...gets us through the hard shifts!! My problem is that when our work mates found out that we were going back AGAIN.....they all keep going on about how we should do something different this time....we are wasting our money.....we are silly......etc etc etc..to the point that I just don't mention it anymore.

None of us has to explain to friends (wives, husbands, and children, maybe) what we like or why we like it. Maybe not mentioning your plans in front of them is the right plan, if they are that vocal about what "they" would do. Happily, if they work hard and save their money, they can do what they prefer. Meanwhile, enjoy your planning together, and have a wonderful trip. To make them nuts, maybe you could buy some postcards from exotic locations off the internet, and send them some, while you are having a ball with Mickey and friends.

MOUSEMOM156
03-30-2008, 09:24 PM
I say who care what they think, if they have never been it is there problem, they do not know what they are missing. Just go and have a great time!!!!!

teacup317
03-31-2008, 05:29 AM
We have this conversation at my house all the time. My DH and I are disneyholics, my older son (28) is one and my youngest son (26) and his DFi are not disneyholics.

We just explain that Disney is forever changing, and the changes are so marked that it keeps it fresh and new each time we go.

As far as the people I work with. They just have to put up with my Disney screensaver on my computer. LOL I try not to "overdue it" at work just as I wouldn't talk excessively about anything. But they all know that occasionally I'll interject into the conversation that well TODAY, there is 29 days left before we leave for WDW HOORAY!!!!:rotfl2: and they just have to deal with it!!!!:cool1: :lmao: :rotfl:

Don't let it bother you and plan in secret, secrets are always soo much more fun!!:banana: Have a good trip !:woohoo: :yay:

accountingbabe08
03-31-2008, 05:48 AM
Do what makes you happy!!! I have the same problem went in 2004, 2005, 2X 2007, Feb 2008 , and as soon as I came back I was working planning the next trip in October 2008:dance3:

*KeepMovingForward*
03-31-2008, 06:30 AM
I would just ignore it, after all it is what you enjoy and you know its not a waste of money as long as its what you like. My SIL gets irked by us doing Disney several times a year, although I really don't know why she cares what we do with our money. You can try to not bring your travel plans up in front of these people, but really, who can NOT talk about Disney when they are so excited to go? I've learned to skirt the issue with those non-Disney lovers, but even SIL can't help herself and will ask out of the blue (with as much sarcasm and cuteness as she can muster) "Oh, are you going to Disney AGAIN soon?" My reply, "You bet!"

I think like anything, Disney is what you make it. For us it is never the same trip twice. I think that is part of what keeps us coming back, lots of old and familiar things, but always something new and exciting as well. Have fun, to heck with the naysayers. :thumbsup2

rotlex
03-31-2008, 07:20 AM
Ask them if they enjoyed there 100th trip to the shore?

Really, we have been going to Disney once or twice a year for a few years now. Most we know, and I don't mean this in an "uppity" way, are probably jealous, or ask us how we can go so often.

When we tell them it normally costs us less to go to WDW than to go to the beach for a week, they are usually quite surprised and want more information!

I direct them here. :)

I Believe In Magic
03-31-2008, 07:39 AM
I also have this problem. I am taking my girls for their 8th trip in May and none of my family even knows we are going. I thought about not telling my mom at all but it is Mothers Day while we will be there so I have to tell her. I get more flack for taking them, it is ridiculous. Why cant people just be happy!!! Its not like they have to pay for your trip!! Maybe they are just jealous like the other poster said. Thank goodness for this board, its the only place I can talk about my trip!! lol

Samantha

DizzDoll
03-31-2008, 07:43 AM
When someone tells me I'm silly for going back to Disney - well - I go anyway. Silly me. :lmao: :lmao:

nifferdo
03-31-2008, 08:27 AM
I am a complete disneyaholic! My dh does not understand it and most times refuses to go with me, he told me after our last trip in Sept 07 that if he never had to go back to Disney again, it would be to soon. Broke my heart! Im going in May with my mom and kids and he is not coming...his loss. His family is always on my case about why I go to Disney so much and there are so many other things to do with my vacation time and money. I say, its not your business NOR your problem, this is something that I love to do and my kids love to do and if they dont like, who gives a rats a**! So I continue to go and will continue to go, even if that means going alone!!!! Have a GREAT trip :D

pepperw23
03-31-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi everyone,
My twin and I went to disneyland in 2004, all the way from Australia for a "Once off trip of a lifetime"......then we became fellow disney addicts and HAD to go to WDW in 2005 for another "once off trip" ....... then we went again in 2007 to celebrate finishing our Masters of Nursing and buying a house ....so that was our "last hurrah trip"......hehehe see the trend!
So anyway we have been saving like mad and working extra shifts and overtime at work to pay fo our upcoming trip that we have just booked (and payed off eeekkk) in Oct this year. This is the "Splurge trip" as we are staying at the Contemporary for 6 nights/ 7 days at WDW, then going to Disneyland (because, well the plane leaves from LA to take us back to Aussie land, so we thought we might as well do DL while we are there) so we are doing 3 nights/ 3 days at the DL hotel. We are absolute disneyholics and luckily we work in recovery room together and can chat frequently about our plans...gets us through the hard shifts!! My problem is that when our work mates found out that we were going back AGAIN.....they all keep going on about how we should do something different this time....we are wasting our money.....we are silly......etc etc etc..to the point that I just don't mention it anymore. The thing is it is what WE want to do, we love it there and they have NO idea about WDW or DL ,as in Australia, most people wouldn't even think of going there (unless they had kids who they wanted to take). It is SOOO frustrating that others don;t understand.....What do other people do in this situation????:confused3

I bring them back a Rice Crispi Mickey head. Suddenly my trips become something they look forward to as well. amazing ha ha. Some people just don't understand the magic and never will. I kinda feel sorry for them to be honest. ;)

Fairyntraining
03-31-2008, 11:47 AM
I also have this problem. I am taking my girls for their 8th trip in May and none of my family even knows we are going. I thought about not telling my mom at all but it is Mothers Day while we will be there so I have to tell her. I get more flack for taking them, it is ridiculous. Why cant people just be happy!!! Its not like they have to pay for your trip!! Maybe they are just jealous like the other poster said. Thank goodness for this board, its the only place I can talk about my trip!! lol

Samantha

Well - we here on the dis we are thrilled for you and your girls to be going. I have a friend that tells me she never wants to go nor do her two girls. My only response to this is, of coarse they don't ask to go - they don't know what they are missing. I think everyone should go at least once to experience it for themselves before they have the right to tell me I am ridiculous for going as many times as possible.

I Believe In Magic
03-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Thank you Fairyntraining!! (hope I spelled that right) I know where to go to get opinions that matter!! And everyone I know that has never gone says the same thing, their kids dont have an interest. How would they if they have never gone!!!! lol
Have a wonderful day!!

Samantha

PrincessKsMom
03-31-2008, 12:36 PM
People in my office have actually stopped laughing at me and are now coming to me for advice on planning trips! The other things that I'm obsessed with as much as Disney are my Disney daughter and Bon Jovi! My bosses have gone so far as to give me cash for holidays, etc. (instead of presents) when they know I have a Disney trip planned or bought me Bon Jovi tickets. It makes it much easier on them each year because I'm usually doing one or the other. As we speak there is an attorney I work with in Disney with his twins, who I think I have turned into a Disney nut! Go me! :lmao:

GoofyTraci
03-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Some people just don't understand the magic and never will. I kinda feel sorry for them to be honest. ;)

this is exactly how I feel!!!:hippie:

Jaymie
03-31-2008, 01:46 PM
I think other people who don't get to go to WDW as often are just jealous. People always tell me to try something different. I nicely tell them that I don't tell them how to spend their money, don't tell me how to spend mine. I do say a little nicer.

To each their own, if you like cruises, take a cruise, if you like camping, go camping, don't fault me for choosing Disney as my vacation destination, time after time.

DiSZYme
03-31-2008, 01:59 PM
I think it's not just that these complainers don't understand the magic and don't get Disney. I think it's more that those type of people will try and put down ANYTHING someone else loves or does. They want to put people down, they want to find fault and they want to criticize. They probably do it to everyone about something and just see Disney as an easy-to-find angle to use against a Disney fan. That type of criticism is barely worth the shrug one might give it in response.

pepe of ohio
03-31-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't think so, we've been there 40X's and the last few trips, we average 10-12 nights, we said we could go to WDW and never step foot in a park and be just as happy. We feel the feeling as soon as we hit the main gate, can't wipe the smile off our faces and we really hate going home, and as I said, we could stay on property and never see a park, just that magical feeling at the resort too, especially Wilderness Lodge and when they say "welcome home", we're in heaven.

Jrabbit910
03-31-2008, 02:05 PM
I tell them all "It's a Disney thing"- people can think what they want, but if they dont know that "special" feeling - they will just not understand!

Go and have a magical time- there are a ton of people in the parks & around the world that you dont have to explain too (like us on Dis!!) :goodvibes

misscrossbee
03-31-2008, 02:06 PM
What do other people do in this situation????:confused3

I smite them.

:maleficen

DizzDoll
03-31-2008, 02:12 PM
I smite them.

:maleficen

I love that!!!!:lmao: