PDA

View Full Version : Leave booster seat home for DD5 (almost 6)?

frannn
03-30-2008, 05:18 PM
If I'm reading correctly, FL law requires a car seat/booster till age 5, and NY requires it till age 6. Our trip is scheduled to begin 2 weeks before DD's 6th birthday, and she is pretty tall for her age. Legally (unless there is a height waiver), we should use the booster to/from the airport, which is about 10-15 minutes away from our home. Should we leave the booster home? We are flying out reallllly early, so we can't have a friend drop us & take the booster home. Is there a height requirement built into the NY law?

momhmmx2
03-30-2008, 05:46 PM
As a Pediatric ICU nurse I can't stress it enough to have your children in their booster seats until they are 4 feet 9 inches. I have seen what can happen when the seat belt does not fit properly. There are even bilboards in our area with the Fairy Godmother and Cinderella's carriage in the background with her holding up a measuring stick saying to use booster seats until kids are 4'9".

You wouldn't go to the store 10-15 minutes away at home why is Disney any different?

tw1nsmom
03-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Just an FYI. NY law requires a booster seat through age 6...until age 7, or until a child reaches 4 ft 9inches in height. Your DD will still need one on the way to the airport, so you may as well bring it with you.

frannn
03-30-2008, 06:28 PM
She is 3 3/4 feet, so we'll be sure to take the booster. We'll probably just toss it in a bag & gate check it, or carry it on.

TheMorgans
03-31-2008, 07:28 AM
I have to agree with MOMHMMX2. As an ER nurse I too have seen many children who were seriously injured (or worse) because they were not properly restrained. If you wouldn't let your child go without a booster seat at home, why would you take that chance when you are away from home? You want all of your vacation memories to be magical ones. pixiedust: