PDA

View Full Version : Emergency ? about photo id and flying?

mckinley
03-29-2008, 02:02 PM
I think i might be in some trouble we leave tomorrow and i got a seatbelt ticket earlier this week. They took my drivers lic. and i only have the ticket to drive on. I know that when flying they need a picture id when going through the security. Is there something else i can provide them or am i in big trouble.

Bob P
03-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi,

Do you have a passport?

mckinley
03-29-2008, 02:23 PM
no, will the ticket that i got from the state police work

miss missy
03-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I never heard of them taking your lic on the road, for a ticket? why/how did they do that?

I have a copy of mine since I lost it and found it after- (it doesnt say dupt on it either) but I would be all set if they took mine for a ticket :confused3

I thought if you had your lic revoked or suspended, it wasnt physical, it was in "the system"

mickey2000
03-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Take your lic ...........????

Where do they do that?

CarolA
03-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Arrive EARLY!

Bring your ticket and any ID you have.

You will be subject to the SSSS search. Give yourself extra time.

you will get to board, but it's not going to be as easy.....

all5ofus
03-29-2008, 02:40 PM
I know in some jurisdictions they take posession of your license in lieu of posting bond on a ticket. You should call the police to see of you can come in to post a cash bond in exchange for the license.

If not you will need some other from of government issued id card. Passport, State issued ID card, etc. I don't think they will allow you to use the ticket as ID in the airport.

msmayor
03-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Something tells me that if they confiscated your license, you are in more trouble than you might think.

My DH has gotten a number of tickets over the 30+ years he has been driving and not ONCE has his license been taken from him. The only reason I can think of that an officer would take your license is if your license was being revoked for some reason, in which case if you are caught driving without a license on your person you could probably be arrested.

I would try to get information from the police department ASAP as to why your license was taken from you. The last thing you want to have happen is you being denied boarding because your name pops out because of a legal problem when the passenger manifest goes through mandatory screening right before sailing.

mckinley
03-29-2008, 02:52 PM
no in Illinois they take your ticket until you pay it by the set date. Unless you wanted to just pay upfront for it. But most likely you are not going to have the extra cash at that point. It was only a seatbelt ticket, nothing major. But i believe i have it all figured out. I didn't know i could use my ss card and birth cert. So that is what i am taking. I was told i would be okay with those 2 items.

thanks for any help

cbrfan
03-29-2008, 02:53 PM
The officer took your driver's license and then let you drive away without it? :confused: Maybe he just forgot to give it back. In any case, I agree with the other posters. Call the police dept. and inquire about it.

pirateparrot
03-29-2008, 02:56 PM
no in Illinois they take your ticket until you pay it by the set date. Unless you wanted to just pay upfront for it. But most likely you are not going to have the extra cash at that point. It was only a seatbelt ticket, nothing major. But i believe i have it all figured out. I didn't know i could use my ss card and birth cert. So that is what i am taking. I was told i would be okay with those 2 items.

thanks for any help

I think you can take those but without a picture ID you will be subject to econdary screening. I would not take any carry-on because they will do a hand search of that and do the wand metal detector and possible pat down.

Vijoge
03-29-2008, 04:04 PM

thanks for any help

I take it you live in IL then? Just go to the nearest driver's license examining station and get a state ID. I think they're about $10.

cbrfan
03-29-2008, 04:42 PM
I take it you live in IL then? Just go to the nearest driver's license examining station and get a state ID. I think they're about $10.

OP stated that they were leaving tomorrow. After reading the OP's subsequent post I see that there aren't many options. Personally, I think I'd have just paid the ticket and not had the hassle. But hindsight is 20/20.

kms67
03-29-2008, 05:37 PM
As soon as I read the first post, I was thinking, "Hmm, wonder if they live in IL?" LOL! Among any friend and relatives that I have that live in other states, I am the only one living in a state that confiscates your license! Ain't IL grand?

I also just learned earlier this week that if you are driving on expired plates, the police will now remove your license plate from your car and call a tow truck to haul it away. You have to go through the Secretary of State Dept in Springfield to get your car back with current plates! I happened to be at Blockbuster video when it was happening to a lady. Fun, huh?

Good luck to the OP! We are also leaving tomorrow and your thread reminded me to put my DL in my Baggallini! :yay:

Kris

Traveliz
03-29-2008, 05:39 PM
OP stated that they were leaving tomorrow. After reading the OP's subsequent post I see that there aren't many options. Personally, I think I'd have just paid the ticket and not had the hassle. But hindsight is 20/20.

That just isn't how it goes in Illinois though - unless you have cash on hand when you are pulled over. Rarely do I have 75.00 in cash (or more to pay a ticket) when I am out and about. Otherwise you need to wait and go through the regular channels. OP stated she got the ticket earlier in the week -- I believe you can't even go in until more than three business days have passed -- so if she got the ticket on Tuesday - it would be this coming Monday before she could even go in and see if the license and paperwork was available.

Liz

Vijoge
03-29-2008, 06:15 PM
OP stated that they were leaving tomorrow. I missed that part-sorry. In that case there's no way to get state ID until Tuesday. They closed at noon today.

Manda
03-29-2008, 06:33 PM
My sympathies to you. And like another poster said, as soon as I read your post, I knew you were from Illinois. Gotta love our ridiculous laws. :sad2: I was shocked when I moved from Indiana to Illinois and heard that they take your license here.

Here's a handy USA article on how to fly without ID:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-04-28-travel-ids_x.htm

Note that it suggests calling the airline in advance.

msmayor
03-29-2008, 07:14 PM
My sympathies to you. And like another poster said, as soon as I read your post, I knew you were from Illinois. Gotta love our ridiculous laws. :sad2: I was shocked when I moved from Indiana to Illinois and heard that they take your license here.

Here's a handy USA article on how to fly without ID:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-04-28-travel-ids_x.htm

Note that it suggests calling the airline in advance.

Well, lets be realistic here. Its not the "ridiculous laws" that caused this problem...the OP bears the full weight of his predicament here, since it seems it was completely preventable had he/she only buckled the seat belt before starting the car.

mckinley
03-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Well, lets be realistic here. Its not the "ridiculous laws" that caused this problem...the OP bears the full weight of his predicament here, since it seems it was completely preventable had he/she only buckled the seat belt before starting the car.

Just to let you know, i normally do wear my seatbelt. I was in a hurry that morning getting my DD to school. It is possible for people to forget and make mistakes. Some of us are not perfect! I was not asking for any insults just some help on what other forms of ID i could use.

As for all the other helpful post thank you. I was able to find out that i needed 2 unexpired identifications 1 having to be from State or Federal Gov. I have my social security card, birth cert. as well as my marriage cert. to show the name difference in my ss & birth cert. I am also taking my copy of the ticket from Illinois state police as well to show proof of were my dl are.

annie1995
03-29-2008, 08:04 PM
I might be totally wrong on this, but can't you just pay the fee to get your license back:confused3 .

cbrfan
03-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Just to let you know, i normally do wear my seatbelt. I was in a hurry that morning getting my DD to school. It is possible for people to forget and make mistakes. Some of us are not perfect! I was not asking for any insults just some help on what other forms of ID i could use.

As for all the other helpful post thank you. I was able to find out that i needed 2 unexpired identifications 1 having to be from State or Federal Gov. I have my social security card, birth cert. as well as my marriage cert. to show the name difference in my ss & birth cert. I am also taking my copy of the ticket from Illinois state police as well to show proof of were my dl are.

It sounds like you have everything pretty well covered. Just glad this mistake only resulted in a ticket and a little extra stress instead of something much worse. Hope you have a great time!!

Manda
03-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Its not the "ridiculous laws" that caused this problem...

Well, no, it's still a ridiculous law. The OP in this situation is admitting guilt, but just because a person was pulled over does not mean that they are guilty. They have the right to contest the charge and could be entirely innocent - but they license will be still be confiscated.

I believe, however, you can use your AAA card as a bond card instead of your license. Other than that, the only way that I know of to keep your license when ticketed is to cry and hope for a lenient officer or immediately admit guilt and be the kinda person who has a lot of cash on them all the time.

There's current discussion about doing away with this practice in Illinois. It's obviously outdated. It's nearly impossible in this day and age for a person to function without their government-issued ID.

mckinley
03-29-2008, 08:13 PM
yeah i can, but i am leaving before the court house is open again on Monday. I didn't think about this until about 1:00 pm today while packing our luggage. Its just one of those things that i should of done, but just didn't.

we are flying delta and according to them when i called i need 2 non-photo un-expired forms of identification that must be from the state or gov. So my social security card and birth cert. would be okay.

mckinley
03-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Illinois laws are just crazy, if they pull you over for not having your seatbelt on you get a ticket no warnings are allowed, If your sticker is expried (even if you just forget) they tow your car and take you to jail (unless you get a nice officer at that time), If you are pulled over and cannot provide a copy of your insurance card they take you to jail (even though you have insurance but no card on you).

We have local police but they are not the ones that pull people over in city limits. Around here the state police sit in town haunting people writing ridiculous tickets all day. And this officer that caught me sits on the school road pulling over parents 1 right after another every single morning.

msmayor
03-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Well, no, it's still a ridiculous law. The OP in this situation is admitting guilt, but just because a person was pulled over does not mean that they are guilty. They have the right to contest the charge and could be entirely innocent - but they license will be still be confiscated.

I believe, however, you can use your AAA card as a bond card instead of your license. Other than that, the only way that I know of to keep your license when ticketed is to cry and hope for a lenient officer or immediately admit guilt and be the kinda person who has a lot of cash on them all the time.

There's current discussion about doing away with this practice in Illinois. It's obviously outdated. It's nearly impossible in this day and age for a person to function without their government-issued ID.

And based on what I read (because I was curious about the law...so I googled it) is that the ticket itself becomes proof of the license...so the confiscation itself isn't really ridiculous and wouldn't be an issue if the OP didn't need the physical license to be able to fly without providing additional ID verification. If anything, license seizure is a genius way for the state to make sure that folks don't ignore tickets. Show up in court to contest it or pay it...or you don't get a license back.

I honestly don't think the laws are so crazy. Seatbelt laws exist in nearly every single state. You don't want to get your car towed for an expired sticker? Then don't forget it...write a note, circle the day on your calendar. The law is the law and either obey it or suffer the consequences.

Its refreshing to hear that some states take this stuff seriously.

To the OP: I meant no insult to you personally with my comments, and apologize if you read them that way.

CleveRocks
03-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Illinois laws are just crazy, if they pull you over for not having your seatbelt on you get a ticket no warnings are allowed,
Number one, I hope you have a GREAT vacation!

But a quick off-topic thing about seatbelts ....

I treat people with brain injuries. Most acquired their brain injuries in motor vehicle accidents. In my 18 years, in treating all those people over all those years, I've never EVER treated someone who was wearing their seatbelt at the time of the accident. NEVER.

Brain injuries shatter lives. I provide treatment in people's homes, so I see the devastation first-hand. They are all heart-breaking cases, but perhaps the most heart-breaking one I recall was a grandmother who ALWAYS wore her seatbelt. She and her husband (who was driving) were picking up their 2 grandkids from school, just a few blocks from home. During that brief ride, there was some sort of kid-problem in the backseat. The grandmother unbuckled her seatbelt to try to help with the problem, and it was around then that their car was struck broad-side by a car that ran a stop sign. Everyone else in the car was just shaken up, but the grandmother was knocked around like a pinball inside the car, and ended up in a coma for 30 days, and the rest is just tragic history.

For when you return home from your vacation, PLEASE ALWAYS put on your seatbelt. If not for you, do it for your kids, so they don't have to suffer from not having you be able to love and care for them as you do.

I know you said earlier that you're not perfect and sometimes forget or are in a rush. I understand this ... I do!!! But let me turn the tables on you and present you with this idea:

You see your DD run across the street without looking both ways. Do you just chalk it up to "nobody's perfect" with her? In LIFE AND DEATH situations, you expect PERFECTION from her, right? Expect no less from yourself, and the two of you will live happily ever after!:grouphug:

I'm not moralizing, I'm just trying to help change your mind about seatbelts to help you and your family.

maxiesmom
03-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Illinois laws are just crazy, if they pull you over for not having your seatbelt on you get a ticket no warnings are allowed, If your sticker is expried (even if you just forget) they tow your car and take you to jail (unless you get a nice officer at that time), If you are pulled over and cannot provide a copy of your insurance card they take you to jail (even though you have insurance but no card on you).

We have local police but they are not the ones that pull people over in city limits. Around here the state police sit in town haunting people writing ridiculous tickets all day. And this officer that caught me sits on the school road pulling over parents 1 right after another every single morning.

Follow the law and you won't get a ticket. The laws are in place to keep everyone safe, they are not there to annoy people, and they are not ridiculous.

And please be more careful and wear your seatbelt every time! You kids need you alive and whole, that is not a mistake you need to make even once!

2Princes2Princesses
03-30-2008, 09:20 AM
CleveRocks-We always wear our belts. When I drive my ex somewhere (he does not wear his belt regularly) I MAKE him buckle it. Even in the backseat, where I have nice shoulder/lap belts. My car does not move unless EVERYONE is strapped in. I worked in a pediatric ER/trauma center for a while.

And most accidents happen close to home, so when just running to school or the store is when you are most vulnerable. The teen girl who lives just down the road from us was killed when her car was T-boned by a garbage truck at the corner of our road, almost in front of our house. She was just running to the general store for milk. And no, she was not strapped in.

Anyway, OP-Glad you worked it out with the ID. I automatically thought "just go pay the ticket" but then I noted you were leaving on a Sunday.

DH and I actually thought this was kind of a cool practice. One way to make sure the tickets get paid, although probably quite a PITA to those who live in IL. :goodvibes

prncess674
03-30-2008, 12:14 PM
I travel frequently for work and I ended up getting a state issued ID specifically for airplane travel. My driver's license stays in my wallet and I then just use my State ID to transit airports. I also used my State ID when going to bars and clubs. Losing a DL is a PITA, replacing a ID is a lot easier.

Also to the OP, if you have your old EXPIRED DL it may be helpful to bring it as well. Any form of picture ID will help your case.

Traveliz
03-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Follow the law and you won't get a ticket. The laws are in place to keep everyone safe, they are not there to annoy people, and they are not ridiculous.

And please be more careful and wear your seatbelt every time! You kids need you alive and whole, that is not a mistake you need to make even once!

Would be so nice if it was that cut and dry - but say you are in an accident - a chain reaction - -here in Illinois the last person in that chain gets a ticket for sure -- even if the first one is the one who stopped their car in the middle of traffic to say - retrieve a cigarette that is on the floor -- so the last person gets a ticket for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident. Many times that last person is not truly at fault (in a common sense way) but has to get the ticket anyway. So they are without a license until its all sorted out.

Liz

maxiesmom
03-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Would be so nice if it was that cut and dry - but say you are in an accident - a chain reaction - -here in Illinois the last person in that chain gets a ticket for sure -- even if the first one is the one who stopped their car in the middle of traffic to say - retrieve a cigarette that is on the floor -- so the last person gets a ticket for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident. Many times that last person is not truly at fault (in a common sense way) but has to get the ticket anyway. So they are without a license until its all sorted out.

Liz

Yeah, you are supposed to leave enough room between you and the car in front of you to stop, if the car in front of you stops suddenly.

I know we are waaay off topic, but it just irks me when people try to blame the police for doing their jobs. If the OP had been following the law, she wouldn't be in this predicament. Even if you think a law is crazy, you still have to follow it.

princessvacg
03-30-2008, 03:28 PM
mckinley have a great trip! I guess you have to be from ILL to understand the cops out here! :thumbsup2

jodifla
03-30-2008, 03:56 PM
WOW! A state with even stupider laws than Michigan!

jodifla
03-30-2008, 03:58 PM

OH, please. Ridiculous laws are ridiculous laws.

It's amazing to me that people support this kind of fascist behavior.

CleveRocks
03-30-2008, 04:17 PM
OH, please. Ridiculous laws are ridiculous laws.

It's amazing to me that people support this kind of fascist behavior.

In my opinion, seatbelt laws are hardly fascist. I've heard the libertarian argument, "Why make a law to protect me? If I get hurt it's my problem and my problem alone, and I'll deal with it. Government should keep its hands off."

In a perfect world, I agree with that. But it's not a perfect world.

I see it every day in my profession. Many people who were unrestrained motorists (they weren't wearing seatbelts) in motor vehicle accidents become huge drains on the taxpayers of their state and of the USA. Rather than working and paying taxes, they need to go on Social Security Disability and thus are sucking up tax dollars. And then there's Medicare for their medical bills, another drain on society. And then there are entitlements for their spouses and minor children, yet more use of public tax dollars. [I'm speaking only of money -- I'm not making any value judgments or personal judgments]

So in short, the government WILL be involved as your safety net if you are stubborn enough and unwise enough not to show any basic self-protective behavior. And if the government will be involved later, then it has the right to try to PREVENT it being involved by preventing the injuries ahead of time.

If there were any way, theoretically, to allow people and their dependents to waive their right to collect disability payments and so on, then I'd have no problem with the government allowing people to act as irresponsibly as they want. But as long as my money has to go to pay for your irresponsibility, then I'd like some way to minimize my risk of paying lots and lots of money for your care for the rest of your life.

jodifla
03-30-2008, 04:51 PM
In my opinion, seatbelt laws are hardly fascist. I've heard the libertarian argument, "Why make a law to protect me? If I get hurt it's my problem and my problem alone, and I'll deal with it. Government should keep its hands off."

In a perfect world, I agree with that. But it's not a perfect world.

I see it every day in my profession. Many people who were unrestrained motorists (they weren't wearing seatbelts) in motor vehicle accidents become huge drains on the taxpayers of their state and of the USA. Rather than working and paying taxes, they need to go on Social Security Disability and thus are sucking up tax dollars. And then there's Medicare for their medical bills, another drain on society. And then there are entitlements for their spouses and minor children, yet more use of public tax dollars. [I'm speaking only of money -- I'm not making any value judgments or personal judgments]

So in short, the government WILL be involved as your safety net if you are stubborn enough and unwise enough not to show any basic self-protective behavior. And if the government will be involved later, then it has the right to try to PREVENT it being involved by preventing the injuries ahead of time.

If there were any way, theoretically, to allow people and their dependents to waive their right to collect disability payments and so on, then I'd have no problem with the government allowing people to act as irresponsibly as they want. But as long as my money has to go to pay for your irresponsibility, then I'd like some way to minimize my risk of paying lots and lots of money for your care for the rest of your life.

While we all know I don't like seat belt laws, the fascist behavoir I'm refering to here is taking away a license for a seatbelt law, even temporarily, or jailing someone for expired tags.

Punishments should fit the crime (of which, seat belt infractions should rank somewhere below rape and murder) and pulling someone's license when you need picture ID so much these days (more facist behaviour) is just bullying BIG BROTHER behavior.

NancyIL
03-30-2008, 05:16 PM
My DH thought he lost his driver's license while in Dallas last month, so he flew home from DFW with no photo I.D. He was surprised that he got through security with extra screening.

I live in Illinois, and my AAA card will work as a bond card if I get a ticket - in lieu of surrendering my driver's license.

Vijoge
03-30-2008, 05:41 PM
I guess you have to be from ILL to understand the cops out here! :thumbsup2

Sounds like! It's one of those "Ya gotta be there" things.

Vijoge
03-30-2008, 05:43 PM
WOW! A state with even stupider laws than Michigan!

Yup, that would be us!

CleveRocks
03-30-2008, 05:55 PM
While we all know I don't like seat belt laws, the fascist behavoir I'm refering to here is taking away a license for a seatbelt law, even temporarily, or jailing someone for expired tags.

Punishments should fit the crime (of which, seat belt infractions should rank somewhere below rape and murder) and pulling someone's license when you need picture ID so much these days (more facist behaviour) is just bullying BIG BROTHER behavior.I can't argue with you there.

princessvacg
03-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Sounds like! It's one of those "Ya gotta be there" things.

You have no idea!

WillCAD
03-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Well, no, it's still a ridiculous law.

And it's still a law, rediculous or not, and must be obeyed.

I agree completely that it's rediculous that your license can be confiscated on the spot by a cop for a seatbelt infraction. But what I find a little confusing is that I am infering from a few other posts that a cop can pull you over, give you a ticket, and you have a choice of handing over your license, your AAA card (if you have one) or a cash bond. Is that correct? So basically, you can pay a ticket directly to the cop who issues it if you have the money? I hope I'm misreading that, because that's truly insane!

I travel frequently for work and I ended up getting a state issued ID specifically for airplane travel. My driver's license stays in my wallet and I then just use my State ID to transit airports. I also used my State ID when going to bars and clubs. Losing a DL is a PITA, replacing a ID is a lot easier.

Also to the OP, if you have your old EXPIRED DL it may be helpful to bring it as well. Any form of picture ID will help your case.

I see you're from DC. In Maryland you can't get a license and a state ID at the same time - I gather it's different in DC?

Punishments should fit the crime (of which, seat belt infractions should rank somewhere below rape and murder) and pulling someone's license when you need picture ID so much these days (more facist behaviour) is just bullying BIG BROTHER behavior.

I agree completely that punishment should fit the crime, and that taking someone to jail or towing their car for expired tags, or confiscating someones license on the spot for a seatbelt infraction, are all rediculous over-reactions. But "fascist"?

I think there are a few Hollocaust survivors - and their decendants - who might take issue with comparing those things to the fascist governments of Hitler and Mussilini. While I'm sure that the fascists engaged in minor annoyances and oppression, along with that big thing where they put six million people to death for no good reason, that doesn't make a minor annoyance of the type we're discussing a "fascist" behavior.

Manda
03-31-2008, 07:45 AM
And it's still a law, rediculous or not, and must be obeyed.

I agree completely that it's rediculous that your license can be confiscated on the spot by a cop for a seatbelt infraction. But what I find a little confusing is that I am infering from a few other posts that a cop can pull you over, give you a ticket, and you have a choice of handing over your license, your AAA card (if you have one) or a cash bond. Is that correct? So basically, you can pay a ticket directly to the cop who issues it if you have the money? I hope I'm misreading that, because that's truly insane!

That's exactly what they do and that's the part that I'm saying is insane. Not the seatbelt laws or any of the other traffic violation laws. They take your license - whether guilty or not - and then you can't get it back for quite some time. Usually, the minimum is 3 days. After you pay or show up in traffic court to contest, you get your licnese back. But first it gets sent around to Springfield or something and you have to wait for "processing" and such. You can use the ticket as a driver's license, but not in replacement of any other area of your life where you need photo ID - i.e., plane boarding, check writing, job applications, loan closings, test taking, etc. Besides the fact that it seems a little extortionary that the cop can say, "Just admit your guilt, pay the money to me now, and I won't take your license." So, if I was on the way to the airport, got pulled over and didn't believe I was in the wrong, I'd basically have no choice but to admit guilty and pay up to keep my license (unless, of course, you've already paid AAA and have that card - which I do).

ETA: For clarification on my previous statement, it's not law that says they have to take the license. Officers are free not to take your license. But they are also free to do so and they mostly do.

This article discusses the issue better than I do:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-license07mar07,0,3698747.story

2Princes2Princesses
03-31-2008, 11:26 AM
But they are not confiscating your ability to drive, just the physical license. Probably to ensure compliance with showing up to court and paying fines.

I would consider it ridiculous and overkill if you could not drive until you get your license back, but according to the OP you can.

And as far as the last person in a chain reaction accident, insurance also considers the back car in a rear end accident to be at fault. Even if the front car came to a complete stop for no reason in the middle of the interstate. Out by us they give tickets for following too close. I drive a Saturn and live in a rural area. Sometimes, when I have a Hummer or a Tahoe driving 6 inches from my rear bumper while we are going 60 miles an hour....I pray the deer are sleeping, because I know if one runs out and I hit the brakes, I am dead.

The police are probably so "fascist" about seatbelt laws because they are sick of cleaning people's brains up off the road.

Dh thinks when you get pulled over for no seatbelt, you should not be fined by the police. Instead, they should notify your car insurance company and let the insurance determine how much that should cost you per year.

It could also be considered fascist that the state can take away your license for nonpayment of child support or for not paying taxes. But a driver's license is a privilege, not a right. When you get a license, you know the rules ahead of time.

WillCAD
03-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Sometimes, when I have a Hummer or a Tahoe driving 6 inches from my rear bumper while we are going 60 miles an hour....I pray the deer are sleeping, because I know if one runs out and I hit the brakes, I am dead.

I also hate it when someone tailgates me, so when they do, I slow down. They either A) back off, B) honk in annoyance but I know they'll have enough time to stop if I do, or C) blow past me at the first opportunity. No matter which, they solve the problem.

LilyWDW
03-31-2008, 03:35 PM
I guess you have to be from ILL to understand the cops out here!

I'm sorry, but comments like this really bother me as my father is a retired officer from IL as is my uncle. Please do not make negative generalizations about them as you do not know every single cop out there.

Sometimes I wonder how many of the people who complain about police doing their jobs actually have police officers in their family and see what they go through on a daily basis. It is a dangerous and stressful job, yet these people are more then willing to go out there and do it and usually even LOVE the job. After years on the job, my father developed sever depression and OCD. He would have nightmares and was injured multiple times.

They are just doing their jobs. It doesn't matter if the law is strange, you still need to obey it. Wear your seatbelts, don't follow too close, and don't run red lights. If you do and you get caught, well, tough cookies. You took the chance and it backfired on you. Complain about the law, not the people who enforce it.

Getting off my soap box now and OP... have a great vacation!

goofy4tink
03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
I think this has the potential for turning nasty quickly. I think the OP has actually 'left the building' and headed to WDW. This no longer has anything to do with transportation within, or headed to, WDW, so, I'm shutting it down guys.