PDA

View Full Version : Will you no longer fly US/UA/DL/NW?

bavaria
03-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Since UA implemented the charge for some passengers to check a 2nd bag as of May 2008, US, DL and NW have all followed (and there is speculation that at least one more US based legacy carrier may follow)

From the time the charge was first announced by UA, we have seen posts on several travel forums from passengers stating 'I will never fly XYZ again in protest'

So, my question to you - do you plan to 'boycott' United, US Airways, Delta and/or Northwest due to the 2nd bag fee?

bavaria
03-29-2008, 01:38 PM
To answer my own question - No

I would be subject to the fee on DL/NW/US if I did check a 2nd bag, but the fee will not prevent me from flying those carriers. Sometimes they are the only legacy carriers serving certain routes.

katiee511
03-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Awwww man. I just 'knew' NW would follow along with all the other carriers, guess I just hoped they wouldn't :sad2:
This is news to me. We are booked on NW for our Dec trip. Haven't been following the news lately. (that's why I check here)

Okay....... my answer would be, No. I do not plan to boycott the big guys. I like their flight schedules, I like reserving my seat, I like dealing with a carrier I am familiar with.

I almost always travel with one checked bag. Only time I have ever checked more than one was to Disney and the extra was full of snacks and drinks. Guess I'll re-think that option on our next trip. :upsidedow

safetymom
03-29-2008, 01:45 PM
No. It just part of the new way with airlines. They have been forced to lower prices and they are looking for a source of revenue.

I think need to learn how to pack. Some people pack like they are going to be gone for months instead of days.

shoes99
03-29-2008, 01:46 PM
No, I'll still look for the best fare, and adjust my packing accordingly. don't forget to add Spirit to your list of carriers that charge for bags...

CarolMN
03-29-2008, 01:47 PM
No boycott for me. I don't mind the extra fees for service model and am willing to pay if I find value in the service. Do not anticipate needing to pay the extra bag or overweight bag fees. Can easily make do with one bag plus a small carry on for almost all of my trips.

I generally choose between NWA, Air Tran & Sun Country based on price & schedule. I am willing to pay a reasonable amount (over the lowest fare) for Sun Country (if available). I like their service and prefer the HHH temrinal in MSP.

CarolA
03-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I live in Atlanta.... walking would be my only option.:rotfl2:

Plus if you won't fly US/UA/DL/NW.... it's only a matter of time before that expands to AA/CO/SW (Sprint and some of the other low cost are already there....)

goofy4tink
03-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Thrills me to pieces to be perfectly honest. Now, if I have to wait for my baggage, it may actually come down sooner than it has been. Also, the FA's will be a bit less lenient about the carryon bags that are brought on board...well, at least the gate attendents will be.
Nope, I think it's just fine.

cbrfan
03-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Heck no! If I boycotted an airline it wouldn't be because of an extra bag charge. If I was such a clothes horse that I couldn't get what I wanted to bring into the largest allowable suitcase, one carry-on and one personal item, I don't think I'd have a problem paying the 25 bucks or whatever to bring it. Provided I could carry it all. :rotfl2:

mickey2000
03-29-2008, 02:24 PM
No ..........
Its just a sign of the times !
Gosh even Disney is trying a switcherroo !

Copied this from another persons thread....
Quote "Disney Management is considering eliminating parking lot fees at its theme parks.

The price of parking will likely be folded into a ticket price increase--maybe three or four bucks a ticket.

Its a brilliant "shell game" on Disney's part. They get to advertise "free parking" while saving money eliminating all those parking lot money takers. Depending on the ticket price increase, they'll potentially make more money per carload of visitors than the current parking fee. Here's the kicker, hotel visitors and off-property shuttle bus riders would pay the increased ticket even though they aren't parking."

katiee511
03-29-2008, 02:25 PM
bavaria: I just read another of your posts that lists NWA's new policy (thanks!) and it appears we will fall under the radar on our Dec trip since we booked our tickets prior to March 29th.
That's good to know. No stressing on the packing. Although truthfully, unless they are predicting polar opposites in the weather for the 10 days we will be there, I can't imagine we will bring more than 4 pieces of luggage for the three of us. :laundy:

M4travels
03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
No boycotting here. Partner dude and I USUALLY have one suitcase each and possibly one carry-on between us. We've always said that if something is forgotten or lost there's a strong likelihood that wherever we're going there will be a shopping area close by!

If we have to have a 2nd suitcase, oh, well. Life is still good and we're still alive!

Michael

Brian Noble
03-29-2008, 03:35 PM
No. I'll just include the fees in any cost comparison, just as I do with Spirit's luggage charge, AirTran's advanced seating charge, etc.

msmayor
03-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Eventually, most of the airlines will follow suit. Lets face it: the less luggage a carrier has to haul, the lighter the plane...and the less fuel it needs to get where its going. You want to bog down the plane's weight, you pay for it.

I know for our November cruise I am already planning a packing strategy to ensure that the four of us get by with only four checked pieces. I plan to not pack a SINGLE toiletry item...no shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, etc...all items that have some weight behind them. We're flying down the day before so my first stop will be to a CVS or WalMart to buy what we need, then I'll just toss what's left before packing to come home.

The heaviest pairs of shoes each of us has will go in our carry-ons, where weight isn't as much of an issue. Everyone WILL have a carry-on, and we'll distribute the 'personal' items that don't count as a carry-on (cameras and laptop) so we each have one.

Fortunately, bathing suits and shorts don't weigh that much. :)

pudinhd
03-29-2008, 04:19 PM
bavaria: I just read another of your posts that lists NWA's new policy (thanks!) and it appears we will fall under the radar on our Dec trip since we booked our tickets prior to March 29th.
That's good to know. No stressing on the packing. Although truthfully, unless they are predicting polar opposites in the weather for the 10 days we will be there, I can't imagine we will bring more than 4 pieces of luggage for the three of us. :laundy:

Lucky you! We booked with Delta prior to their announcement about the $25 fee, but they are still charging that extra fee no matter when you bought your ticket.

jekjones1558
03-29-2008, 04:25 PM
the FA's will be a bit less lenient about the carryon bags that are brought on board...well, at least the gate attendents will be

I hope you're right about this. I have been thinking that they won't be any more strict than they are now and we will get more folks bringing stuff that is w-a-y too big on board. It bugs me to not have a place near my seat for my small carry-on because other people have decided that rules about carry-on size don't apply to them.

katiee511
03-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Lucky you! We booked with Delta prior to their announcement about the $25 fee, but they are still charging that extra fee no matter when you bought your ticket.

Oww, yuk! Sorry to hear that.
I just got a good fare on NWA when I was checking around and went for it. Glad I did now. Also, the fare has since increased 3x since we booked. Yikes!! More fortunate than we could have imagined, I guess.

Pack light and have a wonderful trip!

zulaya
03-29-2008, 06:42 PM
I won't change my flying habits because of this rule. NWA pretty much rules the roost here in MSP. But the deal is people do need to learn to pack better. I have 2 preteens and we have never had more than 1 checked bag per person. Usually it's been 2 largish checks bags for all 4 of us for the whole week. But we don't bring multiple pairs of shoes, we don't dress up on vacation and I don't have a single bag for hair and makeup.

I do know 2 ladies who have a single checked bag for just hair supplies and makeup. We have a conference in Chicago in July. It's only for 3 days and I know they are going to freak out if they have to pay $25 to bring their hair, makeup and jewelry stuff.

zulaya
03-29-2008, 06:52 PM
So here's a question...

How are they going to determine if you can check 1 bag or 2 bags free? Is that going to be built into the check-in system so that if you select that you are checking 2 bags, then a window pops up telling you that you will be charged for the second bag? Or how is that going to work?

Lady Lady
03-29-2008, 08:06 PM
The only difference it means for me is I will have to take my smaller piece of luggage as a carry-on instead of checking it. I will be packing the same.

n2mm
03-30-2008, 07:31 AM
The only difference it means for me is I will have to take my smaller piece of luggage as a carry-on instead of checking it. I will be packing the same.

This is us too. Instead of checking 3 bags for the 2 of us for our twice a year 2 week trip, we will now check 2 bags and carry on 2 smaller bags. While I won't boycott, I also won't choose to fly these carriers as I don't feel any loyality to them anymore. I still have a choice of non-stop on Airtran, Jetblue and SW out of Dulles. Until the change is universal, I'll stick to them. Eventually I'll have to use my 100,000+ miles on United, so will fly them when I use an award ticket. Until this change I had been flying exclusviely on United/TED and had flown them 20+ times over the last 2 years.

plutospup
03-30-2008, 07:32 AM

This is exactly what I feel will happen on many flights. Less checked luggage and, more (heavier) carry ons fighting for space in the passenger cabin. On our family vacations we will now each have a carryon.

wdwgypsy
03-30-2008, 07:43 AM
I won't boycott them either but it will play into my decision if I need to look at extra baggage.

My biggest complaint isn't the fee it's the way some carriers have implemented them.

I can pack for week in a carry on unless its a buisness situation. Then a garment bag maybe needed for the suits. So the one underneath rule isn't that big of a deal.

My biggest complaint about carry on restrictions isn't the restriction. It's the unequal application of them.

MickeyMonstersMom
03-30-2008, 09:06 AM
I've been watching all the hysteria RE: checked bag fees with some confusion, as we haven't checked bags in years! Each of us has a small carry-on with our clothing for the trip, and then I bring a small backpack as my "personal" item that holds our snacks, books, and travel documents. I mail toiletries down in advance (again in a small box - all travel-sized containers so we can toss them before returning). I make the DKids plan out their outfits for each day and add one or two extra items in case of food accidents and such; everything fits fine. Nah, I wouldn't boycott over the checked bag fees - but we are driving this summer because we can't afford the fares!

DebbieB
03-30-2008, 09:14 AM
What I want to know is what are they going to do when overhead space runs out with everyone carrying on more. When I fly to the west coast, it's inevitable that the last people on have to gate check. I really hope they are strict about carryon size. I think if someone tries to carryon an oversize bag, they should have to gate check and pay the fee.

Camster0307
03-30-2008, 10:39 AM
What I want to know is what are they going to do when overhead space runs out with everyone carrying on more. When I fly to the west coast, it's inevitable that the last people on have to gate check. I really hope they are strict about carryon size. I think if someone tries to carryon an oversize bag, they should have to gate check and pay the fee.

I'm wondering about this too. These airlines have got to know that people are going to try to avoid these extra charges by overstuffing their carry-ons. Can only imagine the arguments we're going to see between passengers and gate agents or flight attendants.

To answer the OP's original question - I'll still continue to fly with these airlines regardless of the new charges. I usually just check one bag for each of us anyway - can't be bothered with dealing with more than one bag per person. I also will ship a small box ahead of time to the resort that contains some essentials: suntan lotion, toiletries, snacks, etc. Right now, Disney doesn't charge to accept boxes shipped to their resorts, but it was mentioned on another thread that they might start. If that's the case, I'll deal with it. It's a big convenience for me and well worth paying for it.

n2mm
03-30-2008, 11:04 AM

I agree, I would love to see this enforced. We never bring carryon bags. I usually have a small backpack purse and hubby usually has a small jansport bag for his book and snacks. Both of our items have always gone under the seat in front of us. But now with this new rule we will be bringing on a small rolling bag (or 2) within in the guidelines. In the past we thought we were doing the right thing by checking our 3 bags, but will now be forced to bring a bag for the overhead for our 2 week trips. While we never used the overhead in the past, we have certainly watched how overhead bin abuse has occurred on our many United/Ted flights. We have to say that most of it is done by the business flyers. Most of them have 2 bags that then put in the overhead. I certainly hope that it is enforced, because I now want my overhead space that I've left for others to use for many years.

Just wanted to add: I work for the USG and last week we received a message regarding the changes in travel. The USG will not pay the fees that these carriers are now imposing, unless the travelers justifies that their trip is longer than normal and needs extra luggage.

zulaya
03-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Also, how about enforcing that you can't stow your carryon in the front of the plane when your seat is in the back of the plane? Just because you don't want to have to haul your bag down the aisle doesn't mean you should take the space of the passenger that bin in closer to.

Alexander
03-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Boycott?:lmao:
That leaves me with Amtrak and I don't like that option! I still don't undertand the reason people travel with so much stuff! We are one bag people and have future flights already booked with USAir, JetBlue, and AirTran. If you want to bring along those golf clubs, then $25 is still a lot less than you're going to pay for green fees! And it's also still cheaper to pay that $25 for a carseat than renting one. Get over it already!:confused3

bavaria
03-30-2008, 12:03 PM
re the carryon luggage: I am awaiting the US travellers to learn to travel as we do in the rest of the world. Aircraft are turned more quickly in Europe, and the carry on luggage allowance is much less than in America (as is checked luggage). United FAs on many of my flights are already being much more strict with passengers.

In many countries carry on luggage is even weighed and tagged as cabin approved. Gate agents and FAs are very strict and will reject anything too large or over the one piece limit.

I realize that this is a big change for the American public, but it simply puts them in a similar situation to business and leisure travellers outside the US. It may take some time to adjust, but really I don't understand all the upset. If the rest of us can travel like this and still be respectable for business or vacation then I am certain that the American public can adjust as well.

As someone said earlier on another thread, any change brings about negative responses, but in the long run most will realize that they can indeed adjust.

bavaria
03-30-2008, 12:33 PM
and now I am going to say something straightforward which will most likely invite another round of flames on me or a flurry of PMs, but here you have it... ready? ;)

Isn't the carry on situation in America a result of people deciding that the rules no longer apply to them, combined with a lack of enforcement? The rules for carry on are clearly stated - on email confirmations, websites, in luggage stores, at the airport check in counter, at security, and at the gate. Yet for whatever reason, they are routinely ignored by a large number of passengers in the US.

Combine that with a lack of enforcement, and we have the situation we face today. I can assure you that in other parts of the world, the rules are the rules, and one would not easily make it to the aircraft carrying oversize or too many pieces of carryon luggage. GA, FAs, ticket agents, security have no issue at all telling passengers that their carry on does not comply. There is no concern about a perception about poor customer service - the rules are the rules.

Somehow the rules have only become a 'suggested guideline' in the US, and travellers and the airlines are both to blame for this.

Camster0307
03-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Isn't the carry on situation in America a result of people deciding that the rules no longer apply to them, combined with a lack of enforcement? The rules for carry on are clearly stated - on email confirmations, websites, in luggage stores, at the airport check in counter, at security, and at the gate. Yet for whatever reason, they are routinely ignored by a large number of passengers in the US.

Combine that with a lack of enforcement, and we have the situation we face today. I can assure you that in other parts of the world, the rules are the rules, and one would not easily make it to the aircraft carrying oversize or too many pieces of carryon luggage. GA, FAs, ticket agents, security have no issue at all telling passengers that their carry on does not comply. There is no concern about a perception about poor customer service - the rules are the rules.

Somehow the rules have only become a 'suggested guideline' in the US, and travellers and the airlines are both to blame for this.

:thumbsup2

There are plenty of inconsiderate travellers out there.

zulaya
03-30-2008, 12:53 PM
and now I am going to say something straightforward which will most likely invite another round of flames on me or a flurry of PMs, but here you have it... ready? ;)

Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!

DebbieB
03-30-2008, 12:55 PM

I totally agree. They are going to have to do something or have chaos on the planes. People get mad now when they are forced to gate check when there's no more room. It's going to be twice as bad once these new rules go into affect and there's more carry-ons. It's also going to hold up departures, affecting ontime statistics.

cbrfan
03-30-2008, 01:17 PM
I have to totally agree with bavaria. Everything you carry on should fit under the seat in front of you. You know that going in. I can understand making exceptions for delicate medical supplies and equipment. But to create a Chinese fire drill situation because someone doesn't want to wait to collect their luggage at the carousel or is terrified the airline will lose their valuable underpants is pretty self-centered. If you have room to put your carryon in the overhead compartment without a major remodelling job, great. But if there isn't room for your bag and it's too big to stuff under the seat in front of you and needs to be checked, it's no one's fault but your own. And I have my flame-retardant suit on, too.

MAGGIED
03-30-2008, 01:22 PM
it won't stop us from flying.... the alternative would be a 24 hour drive.... it is worth it to me to pay a little extra and get there in 3 hours

snowbunny
03-30-2008, 05:48 PM
So, my question to you - do you plan to 'boycott' United, US Airways, Delta and/or Northwest due to the 2nd bag fee?

Nope, I can fly with one checked bag and prefer to do so.

dopeyfanatic
03-30-2008, 08:03 PM
I think this rule might end up biting them in the butt. I can see why they're doing it, but at the same time people are going to bring on more carry ons. Those bringing on large ones aren't necessarily going to change, but people who didn't use to bring one at all will now bring one on. I also agree that the carry on should have to go near your seat. I can't stand it when there's no room in my bin and my bag has to be several rows away from me. It's hard to keep an eye on it when it's not right there. My kids are all taking little Disney duffel bags that will fit under the seat. It will have a beach towel, swimsuit and some games/books. My dh and I will also have small ones. I do make it a point to measure my carryon to make sure it fits, but I'm surprised at what is allowed...

Continental: carryon- 51 linear inches (in the US and some UK areas) and 40 pounds, and a checked bag is 62 linear inches and 50 pounds. That's not much difference in a carry on and a checked bag!

I wouldn't boycott any airline because of the fee, it's just something I'd have to account for when comparing prices. I don't see how my family would ever need more than one suitcase per person anyway!

dgaston
03-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Excellent thread topic. I think sometimes Americans still are operating under the idea that we're winning the west, and that laws or rules are just suggestions. DH and I are working at getting down to one carryon bag each for travel. We are going on a cruise in two weeks, and will probably have more luggage for that due to the formal nights. Our return flight from San Diego is with United and I was planning on paying the extra fee until I discovered we beat the May 5th deadline.

We generally fly SWA and they are still allowing 2 bags, down from *gasp* 3!

JohnZ46
03-30-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm wondering if this will affect being able to check-in for your flight at the resort.

If you have a second bag, will the resort airline check-in accept payment or will they tell you to check in at the airport?

ExPirateShopGirl
03-31-2008, 02:07 AM
Not to alarm (or elate) people here... but...

recently, I had the opportunity to view some nifty devices designed to be stationed at the gate area. Their function? To weigh (in kg or lbs) carry-on bags and determine if they are size-eligible. Obviously, your carry-ons would have to fit within the device (in both size and weight) in order to be carried on, otherwise your item would be gate checked.

These devices have been in use for years on international routes, but are now being customized for the domestic US flight market.

Interesting times ahead, travelers!

:)

goofy4tink
03-31-2008, 06:16 AM
Not to alarm (or elate) people here... but...

recently, I had the opportunity to view some nifty devices designed to be stationed at the gate area. Their function? To weigh (in kg or lbs) carry-on bags and determine if they are size-eligible. Obviously, your carry-ons would have to fit within the device (in both size and weight) in order to be carried on, otherwise your item would be gate checked.

These devices have been in use for years on international routes, but are now being customized for the domestic US flight market.

Interesting times ahead, travelers!

:)
Makes me happy. But to be on the safe side, I'm remeasuring all my carryon size bags....just to be sure. And no, they will not be heavy...no cramming stuff in because I can't check two bags!! Just want to be absolutely sure they still fit the airline meaurements.

hercamore
03-31-2008, 08:06 AM
To answer the original question, no I won't be boycotting NW or any other carrier using the new rule.

I have to fly NW, that's one of two carriers out of my small airport. AA is the other carrier, and there prices are always higher htan NW. Haard to believe, I know.

However, I will be carrying on a 21" bag now. And that's going to be a pain, because I have to make two connections to get from MN to PNS.

That means I fly on small aircraft like CRJ's and Saabs. The 21" will have to go under the plane.

I'll have to carry a camera case now. MOre stuff to mess with.

herc.

Lewisc
03-31-2008, 09:01 AM
Delta's website still shows the free checked baggage allowance as being 2 bags.

Delta is continuing to accept money from passengers, showing the allowance as being 2 bags, after they've already decided to reduce the allowance.

All things being equal I'd try to avoid an airline that intentionally engages in such deceptive behavior.

RMulieri
03-31-2008, 10:48 AM
No I booked with United anyway..I kind of had a feeling alot of airlines were going to start this so I am not too shocked.We pack light anyway.

RMulieri
03-31-2008, 10:55 AM
and now I am going to say something straightforward which will most likely invite another round of flames on me or a flurry of PMs, but here you have it... ready

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 You are right on! I bring a handbag and small diaper bag.That is it....i see people with really large carryons that technically look like a lrg suitcase.These same people have their whole entire person leaning over my seat as they try and shove their huge carry on over my head.I actually had some guy shove his bag in the overhead so hard and tried to force the bin door closed, he broke the door.SO then we got delayed till they fixed the bin.I hope they start enforcing the rules. Rules are for everyone, Why not just permit total anarchy?

Lewisc
03-31-2008, 12:12 PM
The complete lack of enforcement has (unofficially) repealed the written rules.

Some (infrequent) travelers believe the comedians and think it's probable their luggage will get lost. The airlines lose, delay and misdirect far fewer bags then people think. Some business travelers are so intent on carryon only that they bend some rules. Some luggage stores "lie" about what size luggage qualifies.

Look how many posters got a "great deal" on 29" and 30" bag from stores like Marshalls.

Samsonite is still selling a 29" bag, which mesures 63" and is too large to be checked (without paying extra) most airlines. I can imagine some passengers, concerned with the new "one bag rules" purchasing such a bag. Those passengers will wind up with a bag that's too large, and too heavy, to check without paying extra.

In other words, plenty of blame to go around.

MrMarv
03-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Bavaria---That was a perfect response!!!!

The 'ugly American' tag is alive and well in many more places thn most of us can imagine.

NotUrsula
03-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Eventually, most of the airlines will follow suit. Lets face it: the less luggage a carrier has to haul, the lighter the plane...and the less fuel it needs to get where its going. You want to bog down the plane's weight, you pay for it.

Except that they really don't want to lighten up; they want to get paid for carrying full weight. The extra space freed up by fewer checked bags will quickly be filled by larger paying cargo loads. More mail and more coffins, folks. (I can make the coffin joke because I frequently fly into Knock, Ireland -- which is an airport that sees more dead passengers than live ones sometimes.)

If they weigh cabin baggage here as they do overseas, Americans will learn the same tricks that Europeans have been using for ages. You go to the counter wearing 4 changes of clothing, with every pocket loaded, and with any books you are carrying stuffed up the back of your shirt under your jacket. You get your cabin baggage weighed and tagged. Then you go to the lav and put all the heavy stuff back in the bag. Oh, and for the person who said that the family would have their heaviest shoes in their carryons -- wrong strategy; those belong on your feet, and the TSA lines be da--ed. ;)

Lewisc
03-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Maybe airlines should have a combined weight limit for checked luggage, carry on baggage and passenger weight. Put everything on the scale at once.

If they weigh cabin baggage here as they do overseas, Americans will learn the same tricks that Europeans have been using for ages. You go to the counter wearing 4 changes of clothing, with every pocket loaded, and with any books you are carrying stuffed up the back of your shirt under your jacket. You get your cabin baggage weighed and tagged. Then you go to the lav and put all the heavy stuff back in the bag. Oh, and for the person who said that the family would have their heaviest shoes in their carryons -- wrong strategy; those belong on your feet, and the TSA lines be da--ed. ;)

lklasing
03-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Delta's website still shows the free checked baggage allowance as being 2 bags.

Delta is continuing to accept money from passengers, showing the allowance as being 2 bags, after they've already decided to reduce the allowance.

All things being equal I'd try to avoid an airline that intentionally engages in such deceptive behavior.

I just looked up Delta's website too, as that is what we are flying in May. Are they in fact charging the extra fee when you get to the airport, because it sure looks clear from their website that you get 2 free checked bags. :confused3

bavaria
03-31-2008, 11:23 PM
I just looked up Delta's website too, as that is what we are flying in May. Are they in fact charging the extra fee when you get to the airport, because it sure looks clear from their website that you get 2 free checked bags. :confused3

Delta has failed to update their website, although their employees are advising customers, and the charge is listed on their internal site. Rumour is that they will increase a number of pay per use fees on April 1st, along with the luggage fee, and are waiting to update all the information on that day (Why not put all the heartache and drama on one day rather than spread it around over a range of dates ;) )

If they weigh cabin baggage here as they do overseas, Americans will learn the same tricks that Europeans have been using for ages. The only challenge with this is that in Germany and France at least size matters. Most of us over on flyertalk.com who are German/Austrian/Swiss carry a Titan carry on case, sold in the Lufthansa shops. They meet the smaller size requirements of Lufthansa and many other foreign carriers.

Lufthansa at least does check for size as well as weight, and tags bags as cabin approved. (And besides, German airports are so hot I couldn't imagine wearing four layers of clothing even for a few minutes!) :)

The 'ugly American' tag is alive and well in many more places thn most of us can imagine. I am always very hesitant to turn this into an 'American' discussion. Yet the reality is that most of the rest of the world has managed to travel for years with a 44lb per passenger checked baggage limit, and a smaller carry on limit which is often strictly enforced.

Sometimes I fear that in North America people are so worried about not offending others and the lack of enforcement which results simply serves to encourage those who do not follow the rules.

While many may consider the German airport and Lufthansa staff harsh for their straightforward methods, I personally find the resulting efficiency much more enjoyable. Sometimes there is no harm in telling people that they must in fact follow the rules! :idea:

kaytieeldr
04-01-2008, 12:57 AM
Well, okay - as of 1 AM Delta time, no changes on the website. It's loading verrrrrrrrry slooowwwwwwllllly, but we're still allowed two checked bags at no charge.

I'll look again when I wake up.

Lewisc
04-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Delta updated the CoC, but still hasn't updated the main website. Not ethical to have the CoC contradict the main website.

Well, okay - as of 1 AM Delta time, no changes on the website. It's loading verrrrrrrrry slooowwwwwwllllly, but we're still allowed two checked bags at no charge.

I'll look again when I wake up.

Scrubba2
04-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Also a good thing to note along with the second bag charge, is the overweight bag charge. Some folks may be suprised when they'll have to pay $85 for thier one bag that is overpacked, vs $25 for the extra bag. When I travel to WDW, I make sure to use my light weight luggage.

As a f/a, it is tough to enforce the carry on luggage by the time it has already reached the aircraft. I have seen the gate agents tag luggage, and inform the customer to leave the bag at the door on the jetway, only to have the customer rip off the tag and bring it on board anyway. The only point where a f/a intercepts carry on luggage, is when it is too large to shove into the bin, or the customer is last to board and the bins are already over stuffed full. I try to make an announcement to plead with folks to put smaller items under the seat in front of them so we may accomodate all of the carry on bags, but that rarely works. The last people to board are out of luck, and I only see this getting worse. Getting on board first will be more important than ever.

To chime in: it is odd, but true in my experience about the lack of respect for rules (generally) for the traveling public. It never used to be this way.
I have had this job for many years, and now for whatever reason, I find myself fighting people on every flight. They'll bring on a ton of carry ons, they'll talk on their cell phone while we are taxiing and I am doing my safety briefing (long after door closing), they'll text on their Blackberry, they'll disregard the electronic devices and keep their Ipod on, and when I ask them to stow it, they reply "it's off!" (stowed?) and they'll be on their lap top while taking off. Most people know the rules, whether printed or verbal, but it does not apply to them. Ok, it is NOT most people (I was getting carried away there), there are always the nice folks on every single flight but they are being quiet.:hug:

I get stuck, and at times, complacent. I get tired of fighting everything, especially on the fourth flight of the day. Most of the time, I'll be able to handle things with a genuine smile, but some days....enforcing is hard. I can only see this getting worse!

So to sum up: don't get stuck with the overweight bag, and board early!!:wizard:

bavaria
04-01-2008, 12:21 PM
So to sum up: don't get stuck with the overweight bag, and board early!!:wizard:

thank you for your input.... :) . I actually hand out GTEMs to FAs who enforce the rules, even when they are not popular.

However, your last line simply brings up another area where people feel that the rules do not apply to them.

I feel silly boarding on the UA magic carpet, but as I sit in a bulkhead row every week I have no choice but to be one of the magic boarders in order to secure bin space for my very small laptop case. Yet so often I can't even reach the magic carpet due to the people who think that 'UGS/1K/F' actually means 'boarding zone 4'.

So please, DO NOT BOARD until your boarding area is called.

buzz2400
04-01-2008, 03:28 PM
I have a question. Will a 21" upright with rollers fit in the new thing that someone mentioned to see if it could be a carry on. I have never measured it before but have always brought one as a carry on.

As for the question, I will boycott Delta for the way they are deceiving the public and the way they have handled the situation.

bavaria
04-01-2008, 03:32 PM
I have a question. Will a 21" upright with rollers fit in the new thing that someone mentioned to see if it could be a carry on. I have never measured it before but have always brought one as a carry on.

If it is not overstuffed, 21 inches fits most US legacy carrier restrictions - just. But it is too large for most international carriers.

We often get asked on flyertalk.com how we can 'deal' with the Lufthansa carry on limits, to which we all respond 'just fine!'. I would much rather carry my reasonable sized German Titan laptop bag than the huge, overly heavy American made one I carried for awhile. I can actually fit more into my Titan, including clothing, and still have it be lighter and smaller than the Targus I used to carry.

Lewisc
04-01-2008, 03:36 PM

As for the question, I will boycott Delta for the way they are deceiving the public and the way they have handled the situation.

Linear dimensions have to be no more then 45". Chances are your bag is legal, as long as you don't exapand it.

Laurabearz
04-01-2008, 03:41 PM
We are pretty good about using less than one suitcase per person (3 or 4 bags for the 5 of us)

So this new luggage rules/fees dont apply to us and I rather have people who need to bring more on aboard pay for it, as appose to jacking up our fees.

Bill From PA
04-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Baggage limitations have always been a factor in our choice of an airline. The last 3 WDW trips, all within the last year, have been with JetBlue, AirTran and SouthWest, we haven't used a legacy carrier in a little while. As I mentioned on another thread, the only unfairness, IMHO, would be to apply new restrictions to a ticket purchased before the 1 bag limit was announced.

Bill From PA

Lewisc
04-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Baggage limitations have always been a factor in our choice of an airline. The last 3 WDW trips, all within the last year, have been with JetBlue, AirTran and SouthWest, we haven't used a legacy carrier in a little while. As I mentioned on another thread, the only unfairness, IMHO, would be to apply new restrictions to a ticket purchased before the 1 bag limit was announced.

Bill From PA

SW didn't grandfather previously purchased tickets last time they lowered the checked luggage limits.

I agree it's unfair, but our opinion doesn't count for much.

Delta is below unfair, continuing to book tickets while showing the old rules in the main sections of their website.

Camster0307
04-01-2008, 04:27 PM
buzz2400 - Nice avatar!:love:

Now back to our regularly schedulled programming.

NotUrsula
04-01-2008, 05:53 PM
... in Germany and France at least size matters

Oh, I know that it does, but I've seen people game the system many times, though I'll grant I've never flown Lufthansa. I've seen it done on Air France, though.

Normally what I see is that what goes into the case while in the airport lav is small but heavy stuff, like power chargers, coins, & papers. The size issue is often something people wait to manage while actually on the plane. They will put a thin shopping bag in the carryon, wear all the extra clothing, then once on the plane go into the lav and strip off the extra clothing, putting it in the shopping bag.

BA's domestic carryon allowance is 13 lbs. My laptop bag normally weighs more than that when it has my work papers and power devices in it.
(My laptop bag is American, but not the typical heavy sort -- I ditched the clunky company-issued bag and bought my own. I can't afford to ditch the company-issued laptop, though -- that weighs 8 lbs. by itself. We have some Mac-devotee people that travel abroad quite frequently; they are always having issues with the 17" MacBook Pros that they carry, as the cases for them tend to be oversized, too.)

deltachi8
04-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Over this issue, nope. No big deal. I rarely check more than one bag so it really does not effect me.

I will continue to search for the best value when I travel (price/time/service)

disneydreamin247
04-02-2008, 07:55 AM
I am choosing to not fly Delta anymore. It isn't just that they are implicating this policy, but it's the way they are doing so.

tiki23
04-02-2008, 11:18 PM

No - I look at it as a good way to get my family to pack less! We always take too much stuff. :rolleyes1

siouxi31
04-05-2008, 11:19 AM
No boycott from me. I only check one bag only when flying domestically.