PDA

View Full Version : Laptop through Security - What's the Drill?

DutchsMommy
03-29-2008, 05:30 AM
This will be the first time I am taking a laptop through carry-on and was wondering if someone could explain what I have to do for security clearance? I think I have to boot it up prior to walking through, but can I do that ahead of time while I am waiting in line or do they have to see me doing it? Do I then put the laptop in the bin to go through the xray? Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to hold up the line if I can help it.

Thanks.

Dan Murphy
03-29-2008, 05:53 AM
All you need to do on every pass through security is to take the laptop out of any carrying case and place it, by itself, in a bin to be sent through the screening. If any request to boot or anything else, that would be after going through the screening, if they wanted to look at anything further. In all my trips through security since 9/11 I have never had to boot my laptop.

wdwgypsy
03-29-2008, 07:35 AM
If you are travelling with a family or friends it's always a good idea to send some one through first to "guard" the higher priced electronics as they come out and makes sure you keep control of it until it goes into the machine. Thieves still manage to get into the "secured" area's and electronics like laptops, IPOD's, etc are targeted frequently. I avoid obvious looking laptop cases when travelling, opting for the newer backpacks or multiuse cases with laptop holders in them instead

safetymom
03-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I agree with the previous suggestions. Just be aware when putting it on the belt. I usually travel by myself so I put the laptop through last. I watch it go through the flaps of the xray and then I step through the metal detector.

I also watch that the person in front of me is not causing a problem before I put my laptop down. Thiefs like to create a diversion so the other one can steal the laptop.

DebbieB
03-29-2008, 01:46 PM
I taped my business card to the top and back of my laptop. I'm always afraid that someone will pickup the wrong one by accident, especially when the line gets backed up and the scanned items come through before you can get to them.

safetymom
03-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks for mentioning that. I also back up my laptop before I fly in case it does get stolen, broken I still have my files.