PDA

View Full Version : Southwest or Jetblue Presidents week

smacky1
03-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Anyone willing to share their presidents week fares from this year on either of these carriers from the northeast? I would be able to fly out of either Manchester (southwest) or Portland ME, or Boston. Ive been looking at airfare for 2009 and wondering if I should wait until either of these carriers releases these dates, or go with one of the other major airlines. Thanks for any info on rates from this year.
Im also wondering if anyone has any ideas when these dates will open up with southwest or jetblue. Thanks again!

casjen
03-29-2008, 06:13 AM
I am also looking for Presidents Day week 2009. Jetblue typically runs $299 each way that week. April vacation also. I don't know who pays $600 rt but people must.

United was coming up cheapest for me at $340pp and that is still higher than I was hoping for.

My SIL flew Southwest from Providence president's week in 2007 and it was $450pp.

My inclination is to not wait for these fares.

smacky1
03-29-2008, 07:06 AM
This is what I was worried about. Waiting for the fares and paying a lot for it!

Bowen9475
03-29-2008, 08:19 AM
We've flown Southwest to Orlando for the past 2 years during President's week. We were able to play with the dates, not traveling only on the weekends. Last year (2007) we flew from Providence to Orlando Wednesday, February 21 - Tuesday the 27th and paid $109 down and $59 back. We had bought our tickets by October 2006. This past year we flew out of Hartford on Wednesday the 20th on a Ding for $83 we got in December 2007. We originally had $104 out of Providence which we later lowered to $99 before lowering to the $83 Ding and changing to Hartford. We used RR tickets to fly home into Manchester on Monday the 25th. For both trips we bought tickets as soon as they were released and watched for sales and Dings to lower our fares. I think you could do OK if you are willing and able to play with the dates and fly a few days before and after the weekends. Good luck!

Telcogirl
03-29-2008, 10:31 AM
This year we flew Southwest from Providence into Tampa. The cost with the rental car (rentalcarmomma.com) was still cheaper than flying into Orlando. The ride was about an hour, but it was a quick hour for us as we have never done this drive before so we were taking in the area while driving.

You will still need to get on those fares exactly when the dates are released, but I found this to be the least expensive way for us. Keep in mind it is not only school vacation for the Northeast, but it is the Daytona 500 weekend also. It is a very popular time to try and get into the area.

HeatherC
03-31-2008, 01:47 PM
We waited last year for SW and was on the computer the minute they released the rates. We paid under $200pp nonstop rt from Providence.

Think we will probably do this again for February for a cruise we are doing.

JetBlue will be insane with their prices. I love them, but the last couple years they were like $600 rt a person.

Hope this helps you.

Jacksmom99
03-31-2008, 02:21 PM
1) Pick a price you can live with, then check kayak.com or sidestep.com everyday.
2) be flexible with dates/times if you can. (I'm a teacher, we can't)
3)Don't count on jetblue for school vacation week.
4) If you are going to go with southwest, you must be on top of the computer to snag the cheaper fares.
5) Keep checking all airlines and playing with one-way tickets. I did that for Christmas week.

Last year I was able to get $248 RT non-stop on Delta for Feb vacation week, flying Sat to Sat. We flew from Boston to Tampa, and got into Tampa at like midnight. We had booked a room at the Mariott right in the airport, great for us that night! However, it was a flight they added to the schedule on the Sunday of Labor day weekend. I was checking multiple times a day all summer just waiting for something I could live with. Also, with gas prices, if you get anything under $300 RT for the week, I would call it good.

Airtran just released January dates, February may be withing the next few weeks. Also, sign up on all the airlines websites for email alerts and specials. It can't hurt.

PatsMom
03-31-2008, 02:57 PM
I paid $533 per person round trip for Southwest from MHT to MCO this President's week. We flew to Orlando on an early flight on Sunday and returned on the late flight on Saturday. Both were non-stop. I should have booked sooner but this was the first time we've gone during a holiday week and I didn't listen to the people who said there would not be any DINGs or other discounts that week. I checked fares out of Boston and Portland and there wasn't much any better on the days we wanted to fly. This is one reason we won't be going that week agan.

rubbergypsy
03-31-2008, 05:24 PM
i paid 264 this past pres week rocherster to mco airtran, both non stop flights and bought the fare in july. the previous year i paid 248 roundtrip from buffalo-mco airtran again both non stop. i plan on waiting for airtran to release feb and buying asap.

Telcogirl
04-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I paid $533 per person round trip.
:scared1: :scared1::scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

smacky1
04-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Ive been checking fares using kayak.com and everything to miami or fll for the dates I need are around $400+. Im waiting for now and will take anything in the $350 range. Unfortunately with the cruise, my dates are not really flexible. Ive tired the day before and the day after but prices are the same. Thanks to everyone for letting me know what you've paid to florida in the past. It does help to have some idea of what to expect.