PDA

View Full Version : Good news thread

Disneyoverload42
03-18-2008, 03:01 PM
With all the bad stuff out there in the media, and after reading the "bad week" thread (which I contributed to also) I think we need a good news thread ;)
So, put in your big deals, your windfalls, good news etc... It can't all be bad right?

I'll start, someone used us as a reference for daycare so this week we get FREE daycare - that's almost $400 I have extra in my budget! :woohoo:

Next popcorn::

KelNottAt
03-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Does it have to be budget good news? Or can it be any good news?

LisaInNc
03-18-2008, 03:03 PM
I have been working hard on Cardio for months and today I ran almost 2 miles. I have not run anywhere in almost 20 years. It was my first try and I was shocked that I could actually run!

Disneyoverload42
03-18-2008, 03:06 PM
I think any good news works :thumbsup2

tinaluis
03-18-2008, 03:08 PM
I got a refund on an eBay transaction gone wrong that I had all but given up on. $160 back in the bank ($70 of which was my DDs and which I would have given her from my own $$ if the refund didn't go through)!!!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

sarahlovesmickey
03-18-2008, 03:09 PM
I found out I was pregnant last week but then began to bleed again, but it did stop. (I miscarried in Dec.) Had my blood levels drawn again today and my HcG levels are VERY high!!!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! i go for my ultrasound and check up next Monday.

breezy1077
03-18-2008, 03:10 PM
My parents won a free week-long stay at an off-site resort. So we can go to disney after all!!!:woohoo:

Mkaz
03-18-2008, 03:15 PM
We will have one more cc paid off this month. We will have another paid off by June. Then there is only one left. :yay:

Oh, Dh just called. He said he would pick our son up from his after school program. He had to make an unexpected trip into town to get supplies. He just saved us money! :woohoo:

Lintasare
03-18-2008, 03:16 PM
I went to pay my power bill to find that I paid it out of last week's budget. I got an extra $60 this week.

tinkarooni
03-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Great thread OP. I was going to say at first that I didn't have any good news but shame on me....we all have something don't we.

OK, we finished our taxes this weekend (that's really good) we owe (not so good) but we can afford to pay it (that's good).

I guess life really is all about how you look at it.

Thanks to the OP for making me think. :goodvibes

Karenj2
03-18-2008, 03:22 PM
We put our house on the market in the beginning of March, and have had four showings and one open house. All realtors (cept one) have said that our house shows excellent and is priced right. The majority of the comments are that the house is really clean (and do we actually live there). Considering that we've been working our buns off to get the house that way, I'm excited! :thumbsup2

Plus (and I need some :wizard: and prayers for this one), our realtor said that there are two people that like our house - one is interested, but waiting for a job offer; the other is "very interested" and our realtor will be keeping in contact with them this week.

snowgooseltd
03-18-2008, 03:23 PM
I found out I was pregnant last week but then began to bleed again, but it did stop. (I miscarried in Dec.) Had my blood levels drawn again today and my HcG levels are VERY high!!!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! i go for my ultrasound and check up next Monday.

sarahlovesmickey....Congratulations!!! I lost two children and our doctor told us we probably wouldn't be able to carry to term, again. We had two children, at the time, 2 and 5. I got pregnant about three years later and the same thing happened. I began to bleed and followed the doctor's suggestions about rest and such but it was hard with two other children. I finally decided it was in God's hands and got out of bed to tend to my family. The bleeding stopped and today, thirty-five years later, my third child is an awesome woman, born with no ill effects at all. Good luck with your pregnancy!! If it's meant to be, it will be.

budbeerlady
03-18-2008, 03:33 PM

Been there so first :grouphug: but :thumbsup2 pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

mickeyfan2
03-18-2008, 03:40 PM

:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

sarahlovesmickey
03-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks everyone!! I appreciate all your kind words. =)

Jeninindy
03-18-2008, 04:02 PM

Congrats Sarah!!!! Lots of good thoughts heading your way!!!

DMickey28
03-18-2008, 04:07 PM
I sold some old rings and necklaces from HS for $514. Good News. Bad News? After I sold it to Goldfellows in person I found out that US Gold Buyers is paying more.

I FINALLY got Directv to apply the $152.50 to my account that was taken out of my account back in June but never applied.

lcadkins2007
03-18-2008, 04:12 PM
My DS4 just won his first coloring contest and he won 4 free tickets to the Ringling Bros circus coming to town this weekend! I wish I had kept a copy of his entry...I truly didn't think he would win - he had to color a tiger and as much as I tried to convince him to color it orange, he insisted on coloring EVERY stripe a different color :worship: See - mom's way isn't always the best! woo hooo - that saved us approx $80!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

breezy1077
03-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Thank you so much for starting this thread!!

I thought about staying off this board for awhile because there was a lot of negative posts, but, for a few days at least, I'll just go to this post.

So, I guess my positive thing is this thread!:laughing:

sl_underwood
03-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Awesome thread!

My dd 11, had blood work Monday and her counts are up. She was finally declared officially in remission!

Also, we leave for Disney World in 2 weeks!

budbeerlady
03-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Awesome thread!

My dd 11, had blood work Monday and her counts are up. She was finally declared officially in remission!

That is great news, congrats!!!!!! party:

marthachick
03-18-2008, 04:30 PM
DH got a job offer today & found another (better) to apply for. Got State tax refund last week, 2 weeks before expected. And just in the nick of time. God always provides.

mickeyfan2
03-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Awesome thread!

:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Jordans_Mommie
03-18-2008, 05:03 PM
I finally paid off all of my CC debt, I am finally paying for this month's expenses with last month's income, I was able to pay an extra $200 on my car note for the second consecutive month, and I have all of the $$ for my May WDW trip (including spending money) in the bank. :cool1:

My cup runneth over

nannerbadnanner
03-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Cool thread!:goodvibes

My husband's co-workers gave him a diaper pounding when he returned to work after our daughter's birth. We will not have to buy diapers for at least six months! Woo hoo!:banana:

I also took advice offered by some budget boarders a few months ago. When we received our hospital bill, I called and asked if I paid in full would they give me a discount. They knocked 20% off the hospital bill!

PaulaSue
03-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Our special order door is in, in less than 2 weeks! We were told it would be 4-6 weeks and then another for install. Just waiting for install....

Will make our house for sale look MUCH better with a patio door without duct tape as accents.:lmao:

belle&sebastiansmom
03-18-2008, 05:17 PM
My dh is coming home with cough medicine.:sick:

Lisa_M
03-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Today was a great day for me. I got a call from a district asking if I was available for some contract work ($$$ for me) and also asked if I wanted to interview for a position for next year. I also have another lead on a permanent job for the rest of this year. So today in between the baby's naps I've been working on my applications.

If I get this job, I seriously don't know what I'll do with all that money. We've been living on 1 income for almost 2 years....Yes I know what I'll do, pay off my cc debt, pay off the car and get serious on the student loans.

Please say a prayer for me. Our family really needs this. Oh and I have to find good childcare too. I'll need BIG prayers for that one.

hsmamato2
03-18-2008, 05:34 PM
We got a new screen door at home depto b/c somone returned it,and saved 75.00!
it's going to be spring soon,and ds is playing outside with the neighbor kid:cool1:
We're heading down south in a few days to soak up some extra sunshine on our first big road trip-woohoo!(in which we got a week in a free hotel on the beach to use:worship: )

mrsbornkuntry
03-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Awesome thread!

Great news :banana: Congrats!! :cool1:

I have been really down this week so I could use a dose of "counting my blessings". Let's see, I got to IM with DH last night after a very worrisome week. Oh, and he will get paid an extra $1300 next month (tax free), I'd rather have him here, but the pay is my silver lining.

Um, I had to take all 5 kids with me to get a new decal for my van to get on post today and there was NO wait and I actually had all of the paperwork with me that I needed :cool1: .

Microcell
03-18-2008, 05:47 PM
My husband just started his job this week after only two weeks of being unemployed! It is a paycut, but after this job search, he is happy to have a job guy and we are happy to be able to pay our bills!

I have resolved after this recent scare that we will be debt free as soon as possible so I am gearing up to find out about that...

My son will start first grade eventually and I will work more which will help!

God does provide, he just took the "lets sober up Microcell to reality" route!

DisneyAprilFool
03-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Okay, I have one... I thought we had to pay like $2500 up front for our hospital stay for when this little one is born in August- nope! It's $50!!! So that $2500 can STAY in my savings account! YAY!

KelNottAt
03-18-2008, 07:16 PM
DS has been nominated to the National Honor Society. He's finished the app and we'll find out by 4/1 if he's accepted. Oh, and as an added bonus, he made the track team.

tinkarooni
03-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Twenty days till Disney!!!!! WooHoo....:cool1: :cool1:

It is paid for in cash and my spending money is burning a hole in my pocket!

Edited to add: I wanted to say Congrats to everybody.....with such good things happening to everyone we'll pretend we don't even notice the recession. :)

dougsmom98
03-18-2008, 08:59 PM
My daughter got the last slot in the preschool I wanted her to get into for next fall! We don't have a lot of choices around here and I missed the boat with my first DS, so I am thrilled.

MomofCKJ
03-18-2008, 09:10 PM
I paid off our Discover Card today! Granted we still have 4 other cards with balances but it is a start right? It was at $5K a year ago, now ZERO! We should have 2 more paid off in the next 2 months and that will feel even better!

Allyson :)

budbeerlady
03-19-2008, 09:31 AM
:) Any good news today?

Irin997
03-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Back in the middle of Feb I got a promotion and $6k more a year. Today was the first payday with the new big pay raise and my take home pay increased by $152 per pay period! :cool1: Although, I have $50 going directly out of my paycheck into my high yield savings so my actual "take home" is $100 more, but hey, that's an extra $2600 a year in my pocket and $1300 in my bank account! Woohoo!

JandJ
03-19-2008, 09:45 AM
It started out as bad news - our A/C broke (we're in Florida and cannot live without A/C) but instead of a whole new unit for $4500 it was the thermostat for less than $200!

tinaluis
03-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Our daughter was just accepted into one of the best selective state enrollment Jr. High/HS in our State. She starts 7th grade there next year. No worries about where she will attend HS anymore. Plus she has the chance to earn dual credits her Jr. and Sr. years and graduate with up to 30 college credit hours :thumbsup2 !!!!!!!! WTG Mia!!!!!!!!!!

meanser
03-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Today was a great day for me. I got a call from a district asking if I was available for some contract work ($$$ for me) and also asked if I wanted to interview for a position for next year. I also have another lead on a permanent job for the rest of this year. So today in between the baby's naps I've been working on my applications.

If I get this job, I seriously don't know what I'll do with all that money. We've been living on 1 income for almost 2 years....Yes I know what I'll do, pay off my cc debt, pay off the car and get serious on the student loans.

Please say a prayer for me. Our family really needs this. Oh and I have to find good childcare too. I'll need BIG prayers for that one.

You got a prayer from me! good luck!

And GREAT thread, the news is sooo depressing this week, I needed this!:hug:

gomomgo
03-19-2008, 10:27 AM
DH switched jobs at his company last summer and was very excited at the time because of the new position and small pay raise. Unfortunately he really disliked that job and felt trapped. He was working soooo many more hours and was always on call as well. DH was normally a very happy, hands-on dad and husband but his job was starting to make us all miserable.

Last week we found out that he can move back to his old position!!! We are all thrilled. The only catch is no raise next year. That doesn't help with the cost of milk, but we're very excited to have his time and happiness back!

jennifer293
03-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Here's Mine:

I am leaving in 19 hours to go to DISNEY WORLD!!!!! I am so excited and the best part is this whole trip was FREE!!!

budbeerlady
03-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Dh got the stone job he bid on last week. Money has been a bit tight but this will really help build up the emergency fund again!

jennifer293
03-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Dh got the stone job he bid on last week. Money has been a bit tight but this will really help build up the emergency fund again!

My dad does masonry work (owns his business) and work has been very slow for him the past 6-8 months, so I am glad to hear your DH got the job.:goodvibes I know in that line of work money is not guaranteed from month to month.

simonkodousek
03-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Our DSL modem kept resetting itself and the internet was going REALLY slow. While on the phone with customer service, they offered a replacement modem, installation, and free repairs for as long as we keep the service. They also took $70 off our next phone/internet bill, and are taking $10/month off for as long as we keep the service. :)

I am going to save ~$190 this year, and ~$120 in the coming years on phone/internet service. :yay:

simonkodousek
03-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Here's Mine:

I am leaving in 19 hours to go to DISNEY WORLD!!!!! I am so excited and the best part is this whole trip was FREE!!!

I don't want to be nosy, but how did you get a free WDW trip?

Bren's Mom
03-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Congrats to everyone on their good news...and Sarah, you and your little bun are in my prayers! :goodvibes

Our good news is we have accepted an offer on our house. It's a good one with a strong buyer so we expect everything to go smoothly. And we did it in less than 5 weeks!! Average days on the market in our area is 120 so we did GREAT!

simonkodousek
03-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Congrats to everyone on their good news...and Sarah, you and your little bun are in my prayers! :goodvibes

Our good news is we have accepted an offer on our house. It's a good one with a strong buyer so we expect everything to go smoothly. And we did it in less than 5 weeks!! Average days on the market in our area is 120 so we did GREAT!

Congrats! When we sold our last house, I believe it was on the market for 2 months. We didn't get the full asking price, but I was so happy to move into a house with twice as much space for our growing family. :)

Trish Bessette
03-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Both my DD's 14 & 11 came home with their report cards yesterday and once again they both made honor roll:thumbsup2

Aisling
03-19-2008, 11:06 AM
I was feeling guilty about spending $30 this morning on getting my eyelashes dyed, but I really needed a boost to get me out of the self-esteem blues. But when I used the restroom there, I found 2 cents on the floor, and for some silly reason, it made me happy! So my eyelash dye ended up costing 2 cents less! Hey, every penny counts! So that's my good news!

Iluvthemouse
03-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Effective Jan 1 I was put on commission status. I made a pretty good salary and commission scared me but I didnt have a choice.
Well so far, January and Februarys checks I have put right into savings. We have not even had to touch them. I just cut back a little, DH picked up 2 days OT a month and now my checks are going right in the bank. It feels good.:love:

Congrats to all posters.:banana: :banana:

tinaninea
03-19-2008, 11:43 AM
We have 1 week every month that has been killing us with bills. Since August, we get behind on the bills everytime this week rolls around and by the time we get caught up again, it's time for that week. So in Feb. I started budgeting and we have cut way back on our spending. Well, this is that week and I've paid all the bills!!! Now, I did it with having only $5 left over (seriously), but this is the first time I've managed to pay more than half of these bills on time in months!!! That tells me next months gonna be great because we won't have to use all our money for the next 3 weeks to get caught up on this one. :banana: :banana:

caitty13
03-19-2008, 12:42 PM
My DH traded in his gas eating truck for a Honda Accord. We are not saving close to a $100/week just in gas. :cool1: :cool1:

drcmk
03-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Both of my girls got fabulous report cards last week and glowing reports from their teachers during conferences.

I've had to work more than usual since Christmas (good for my personal economy but draining) but this week my workload is light so I will be off with my kids for their spring break.

Also it is less than two weeks until Opening Day for baseball--a sure sign of spring.

Rootskate
03-19-2008, 01:42 PM
I received a $10.00 refund check today from a doctors office that I didn't know I had coming. $10.00 is $10.00, right? :)

kimluvswdw
03-19-2008, 02:48 PM
I am headed to the motorcycle store in a few to buy myself a new GSXR. Yeah Me!

esbrick
03-19-2008, 05:04 PM
What a wonderful thread! I have been smiling all the way reading it!

My good news is that I bought my wedding dress this weekend :bride: AND we are going to WDW on Friday and then on our First DCL cruise on Sunday!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I'm thankful every day for my family but this has just been one of those special weeks!:goodvibes

Hugs all around!:grouphug:

momto2girls
03-19-2008, 05:16 PM
My ebay auctions amounted to about $1500.00. :woohoo:

jennifer293
03-19-2008, 05:19 PM
I don't want to be nosy, but how did you get a free WDW trip?

haha..no problem. If you will go back and search my threads you will find a thread about my daughter and myself getting struck by a dune buggy at a Shriner's Parade in TN. Well they came to visit my daughter at the hospital after her surgery and asked her what her most favorite thing in the world was and she said going to Disney World!! So within a week or so of the accident they had it all planned, bought, and paid for. They are truly wonderful men..not because of the free trip, but because of the time and effort they spend helping children everyday.:goodvibes

neatokimmo
03-19-2008, 05:49 PM
I had an issue with Behr paint and they offered to refund any money I spent on replacement paint. So I bought more and was suppose to mail off the claim and I just forgot. 6 months later I find the envelope with the stamp on it even and mail it, not expecting them to honor it because it was so long ago. And it was my fault for waiting!

I got the check, $76ish :) Wooohhoooo!

Iluvthemouse
03-19-2008, 06:05 PM
I got my letter from my mammogram thats says my ****ies show no abnormalities.:goodvibes--the asterick word starts with a B.LOL

LSchrow
03-19-2008, 08:35 PM
a friend just called, very depressed with a lot going on in her life.

by the end of the (long :rolleyes1 ) conversation, the tears had stopped, & we were laughing at the silliest things.

she said that whenever she feels that everyone is just cruel & out for themselves, i always make her feel confident & happy to be alive again :goodvibes

friends are great:hug:

Sethsmom
03-19-2008, 08:55 PM
The good news is I am almost finished providing documents that the auditor has asked for. It has been a hectic almost 2 weeks trying to get piles of paperwork together. Another good thing is that it is an auditor I have worked with before and actually like.:cool1: The other two were nightmares.:confused3

Another good thing is I will get to take a personal day on Friday to spend with my son who is out for spring break. I haven't had a vacation day since right after Christmas and we can not ask for any more until June.:eek:

Congrats to everyone on their good news.

Nolcrest
03-19-2008, 11:52 PM
My brother in law came home safe and sound this week from his duty in Iraq!:worship:

Yesterday my cardiologist told me that my previous tests were false positives and detailed tests came back as normal so he really doesn't need to see me anymore.:woohoo:

Lauri

hopemax
03-19-2008, 11:57 PM
We are moving with an ABF trailer from AZ to CO. We finished loading today. We had reserved 19 ft but we only used 16 ft. So it came out to be $189 cheaper than we had planned! :woohoo:

Tinker'n'Fun
03-20-2008, 12:03 AM
DS made first honors for both trimesters so far this year after being transferred from his school that closed. DD is in the top 5 of her sophmore class. DH found a job in December after looking for 3 years and I actually can pay all the bills each month. My blood pressure is now low because I am eating healthier and can cut some of my pills. And I am most grateful that I am still able to walk during our upcoming Disney trip. (Dr's say that a walker and wheelchair is in the near future but I am a fighter and I want to win).:yay: :yay: :yay:

eeyorethegreat
03-20-2008, 08:24 AM
I have a friend that I do a similar activity with every day. Our agreement is to find 3 things that were positive in that day. Really puts into focus the little things and big things that we can be happy and thankful for.

dizzy duck
03-20-2008, 08:35 AM
This is a wonderful thread. I am sitting here smiling at all the good news. Keep it up. You are making my day.:love:

Irin997
03-20-2008, 09:21 AM
I made the decision yesterday to give myself one more year in MD and then I'm moving home to CO to live my dream....work and live in a mountain town like Breckenridge or Vail. I'm nervous but VERY excited. Now I just have to keep saving my $$$.

KTSMOM
03-20-2008, 09:33 AM
I just found out yesterday that my DD's new school that she will attend in July (year round), will open at 8:30. This means I don't have to put in her before school care. WOHOO! I have felt so bad for having her in both before and after school care due to my work hrs, so now she will only have do the after school care. Bonus is that I save $68 a month. That can go in her 529 plan. WAHOO!

budbeerlady
03-20-2008, 09:34 AM
My brother in law came home safe and sound this week from his duty in Iraq!:worship:

Thats wonderful news!

caitty13
03-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Making a few extra dollars selling things that are laying around my house. :cool1:

disneyfun2007
03-20-2008, 10:53 AM
This thread is great. I received a $10 refund from the doctor also. :cool1:

Dreaming of Disney
03-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Let's see. After being on maternity leave for 3 months, we were finally able to get back onto our budget last week. DH's overtime has been cut and we are currently losing about $800 a month, so that one is a biggie.

There was a great meat sale at the grocery store last weekend, so I was able to stock up the freezer and that felt great!

Baby DD turned 5 months yesterday and she is happy and healthy!

We paid off two bills with our income tax return and plan to pay 2 more with our rebate.

I'm thinking that the dream of finishing our basement will actually become reality next year! Goodness knows we need the space.

I forgot to add that I sold some of my old gold for about $200 last week also!

pandora174
03-20-2008, 11:34 AM
My first good news is pretty big :banana: My DS was a preemie & has speech delays & he's about to enter kinder & while looking for summer pre-k (in FL we have VPK which is free) He qualified for free pre-k at a private school (so YEII) & then I found the McKay scholarshp program for children with disabilities & he also qualified (2nd YEII). So he's going to be going to private school starting Kinder all the way through 12th grade. The scholarship was almost $12k a year until he graduates. The school will also give him speech therapy & special ed classes while keeping him in a mainstream class which is the goal we were working for ! :cloud9: We are literally on cloud 9. Because we could never afford a private school education for him.

My 2nd good news started as bad news but turned out ok. Our lease is up in June & I just had a gut feeling & called the owner & you guessed it he's going to sell so we have to move. Well I was getting ready to tighten the budget to save for first & security but the owner said he felt so bad that I could live out the last month in lieu of rent & that way I wouldn't have to wait to get my security deposit back ! & after I spoke with our realtor she said the market is so bad in So Fl she can find us a bigger place for what we pay now ! she even said if we wanted to splurge we could rent a 2 story house for about $100 more each month :dance3:

My DH says everyone will think we're rich with a son in private school & living in a new 2 story house ! :rotfl:

& my diet has been going so well I've lost a grand total of 26 pounds !!!! :cheer2:

aka-mad4themouse
03-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Awesome news everyone!

Here's my good news for the day:

DD17 just got accepted to her #1 choice for college. :cool1: Not only was it her first choice of school, it is also within commuting distance so she will be able to live at home for another 4 years and continue to teach karate at her studio.

And to make it even sweeter, they're offering her $15K per year in scholarship money! :banana: It won't cover even half of the tuition but it is more than we expected from them! Looks like it's time for Mom to re-enter the workforce full-time.

MomofCKJ
03-20-2008, 05:42 PM
My car had to go in today for weird brake noises. They estimated it to be about a $500 job. I said to do it. Turns out it was only $272!

babytrees
03-20-2008, 05:43 PM
a friend just called, very depressed with a lot going on in her life.

by the end of the (long :rolleyes1 ) conversation, the tears had stopped, & we were laughing at the silliest things.

she said that whenever she feels that everyone is just cruel & out for themselves, i always make her feel confident & happy to be alive again :goodvibes

friends are great:hug:

that is sweet!!

babytrees
03-20-2008, 05:45 PM
DS made first honors for both trimesters so far this year after being transferred from his school that closed. DD is in the top 5 of her sophmore class. DH found a job in December after looking for 3 years and I actually can pay all the bills each month. My blood pressure is now low because I am eating healthier and can cut some of my pills. And I am most grateful that I am still able to walk during our upcoming Disney trip. (Dr's say that a walker and wheelchair is in the near future but I am a fighter and I want to win).:yay: :yay: :yay:

:banana: :banana: :banana:

hhartill
03-20-2008, 06:54 PM
I know it is nothing compared to 15K but I just got a check for $3, it has MADE my day! There is nothing my kids can do to annoy me now!:banana:

hemispheredancer
03-20-2008, 07:02 PM
I have 3 things to be happy for:

1. DVC has attempted to make amends on their new glassware policy in studios.

2. I won $25 on instant lottery tickets!! WOOHOO!!!!

3. My rx Maui Jim sunglasses will be delivered tomorrow!!

Kim in SPR
03-20-2008, 07:40 PM
This thread has brought tears to my eyes! Congrats to those with good news, especially those with health concerns for themselves and their little ones. :hug: I have been in some of these situations and know the joy you are feeling.

We just found out that my daughter will be inducted into the National Honor Society (so I'm sending good vibes to the other poster and her son). It's a huge accomplishment for her as we had some rocky times with her applying herself a few years ago. She just found her mojo as a sophomore and has excelled since then. In this case, her success really does feel like mine :)

momof3littlelilos
03-20-2008, 10:35 PM
This is our news...DS, soon to be 18, has a bunch of disabilities. I've mentioned on other threads that he had childhood cancer, and 2 strokes, and brain surgeries. It's been really hard on him, and with his PT and OT and his LDs I haven't had much time for a career...so not much of anything (read [I]nothing[I]) has been put away for him to go to college. I just assumed he'd get grants and a ton of loans and we'd deal with it when it all came due...
Anyway, there's this program here called Mass Rehab (which I sort of knew about because there were a few 12 steppers from my old neighborhood who got their college paid for by Mass Rehab because they were sober...but that's another vent for another thread.) Anyway, I got a letter from the local Mass Rehab Office that my son's guidance counselor referred him, so we applied and it turns out that they will cover any educational costs that aren't covered by grants if my son chooses to go to a state college. (I guess they used to pay for private colleges, but their budget has been cut, and they don't do that anymore.)
But still. It's like we won the lottery. :woohoo:
This is our news. It is really huge for us. I have been hesitant to post because I'm afraid someone will flame me for taking a handout...but I'm hoping no one will. :goodvibes

hinodis
03-20-2008, 10:41 PM
I just got a work at home job!!!! I did my first day of (paid) training and I passed my assessment test!!! I am so excited!:banana: :banana:

Irin997
03-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Today is FRIDAY! :banana: :banana:

Nuf said....

sl_underwood
03-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Its a beautiful day today. DH has the day off for Good Friday and we are going to spend it as a family at the park. We are playing hooky today! Woohoo!!

tinaluis
03-21-2008, 11:04 AM
This is our news...DS, soon to be 18, has a bunch of disabilities. I've mentioned on other threads that he had childhood cancer, and 2 strokes, and brain surgeries. It's been really hard on him, and with his PT and OT and his LDs I haven't had much time for a career...so not much of anything (read [I]nothing[I]) has been put away for him to go to college. I just assumed he'd get grants and a ton of loans and we'd deal with it when it all came due...
Anyway, there's this program here called Mass Rehab (which I sort of knew about because there were a few 12 steppers from my old neighborhood who got their college paid for by Mass Rehab because they were sober...but that's another vent for another thread.) Anyway, I got a letter from the local Mass Rehab Office that my son's guidance counselor referred him, so we applied and it turns out that they will cover any educational costs that aren't covered by grants if my son chooses to go to a state college. (I guess they used to pay for private colleges, but their budget has been cut, and they don't do that anymore.)
This is our news. It is really huge for us. I have been hesitant to post because I'm afraid someone will flame me for taking a handout...but I'm hoping no one will. :goodvibes

Wow, that's great news!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone flames you it will be "sour grapes" on their part. Don't let them get you down or diminish your excitement!!!!

momof3littlelilos
03-21-2008, 11:15 AM
My first good news is pretty big :banana: My DS was a preemie & has speech delays & he's about to enter kinder & while looking for summer pre-k (in FL we have VPK which is free) He qualified for free pre-k at a private school (so YEII) & then I found the McKay scholarshp program for children with disabilities & he also qualified (2nd YEII). So he's going to be going to private school starting Kinder all the way through 12th grade. The scholarship was almost $12k a year until he graduates. The school will also give him speech therapy & special ed classes while keeping him in a mainstream class which is the goal we were working for ! :cloud9: We are literally on cloud 9. Because we could never afford a private school education for him.

My 2nd good news started as bad news but turned out ok. Our lease is up in June & I just had a gut feeling & called the owner & you guessed it he's going to sell so we have to move. Well I was getting ready to tighten the budget to save for first & security but the owner said he felt so bad that I could live out the last month in lieu of rent & that way I wouldn't have to wait to get my security deposit back ! & after I spoke with our realtor she said the market is so bad in So Fl she can find us a bigger place for what we pay now ! she even said if we wanted to splurge we could rent a 2 story house for about $100 more each month :dance3:

My DH says everyone will think we're rich with a son in private school & living in a new 2 story house ! :rotfl:

& my diet has been going so well I've lost a grand total of 26 pounds !!!! :cheer2:

Great News all around! We got papers for the McKay scholarships but never applied for DS. It's great that you got it!
And the weight loss too! I can't wait to be able to say I've lost 26 lbs!

Wow, that's great news!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone flames you it will be "sour grapes" on their part. Don't let them get you down or diminish your excitement!!!!

Thanks so much! I really need a thicker skin as far as other peoples opinions go.

TotalSnowWhite
03-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Great thread!! I absolutely need to count my blessings this week!

-I sold this crazy rocking zebra on Craigslist yesterday. It's been taking up room, and I made more money on it than if I would have sold it at our JBF sale.

-I got my JBF check in the mail yesterday.

-Our weather is gorgeous!

-This started out as no bueno: I had a massive recurring toothache that flared up in the middle of the night (bad). They couldn't find anything wrong (good). It hurt again (bad), so I went back this week (good). They tried to replace the filling (good), but it didn't work (bad). I went back the next day (good), but decided to pull it instead of getting a root canal that also may not have worked (bad/good mix). The great news, though? I get to have pudding, applesauce, jello, chocolate milk and soup all week/weekend!! Yum!

-I have Monday off from work (for 2 doc's appointments, but a day off is a day off!!).

-We'll be in DISNEY in about two months!!

kfeuer
03-21-2008, 11:19 AM

That's the best use of taxpayers money I've heard of in a long time. Congrats to your family!

TotalSnowWhite
03-21-2008, 11:35 AM
All the posts are great!! :thumbsup2

These are the few that made me laugh or smile extra loud/big:

I was feeling guilty about spending $30 this morning on getting my eyelashes dyed, but I really needed a boost to get me out of the self-esteem blues. But when I used the restroom there, I found 2 cents on the floor, and for some silly reason, it made me happy! So my eyelash dye ended up costing 2 cents less! Hey, every penny counts! So that's my good news!

I love it! I get excited about those things, too!

Yesterday my cardiologist told me that my previous tests were false positives and detailed tests came back as normal so he really doesn't need to see me anymore.:woohoo:

Lauri

Great news on both subjects!! Thanks to your brother in law!

I made the decision yesterday to give myself one more year in MD and then I'm moving home to CO to live my dream....work and live in a mountain town like Breckenridge or Vail. I'm nervous but VERY excited. Now I just have to keep saving my $$$.

Way to go!!

Have a great weekend everyone! This thread has made my week!!

TotalSnowWhite
03-21-2008, 12:00 PM
I had to add some good news!

I just played the Enchanted Sweepstakes on Disney Movie Rewards and won Enchanted phone calls! Fun!

ptcruisermom
03-21-2008, 12:56 PM
My daughter made the eighth grade cheerleader squad for next year, she was a cheerleader last year but they have to try out every year. There was some pretty stiff competition.:yay: :cheer2:

tinaninea
03-21-2008, 04:35 PM
I found out that Best Buy was reporting us 30 days late on our card each month for a full year after I paid off and closed the account. I got a letter from TransUnion today that they have deleted it! That should really improve our score! This is not even close to the first problem I've had with Best Buy. Don't go there, it's the devil.

Avonlady1001
03-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Hey! We recently found out we're pregnant w/ our 2nd child! The bad news, we have to cancel our Disney trip we planned for September 08 (The baby's due early Oct)...and lose the free dining we booked last Sept while we were there! Good news, we are going in May instead for a condensed version of the trip. Last trip just the 3 of us. :-)

LovableGluttons
03-21-2008, 11:53 PM
It's official. I'm finally going back to college to finish that Master's degree I started 10 years go!

I'm so nervous/excited I can't sleep!

PTL
03-22-2008, 02:14 AM
What a wonderful idea for this thread. I feel like I have so many things in common with you guys, Lets continue to encourage and be proud of eachother;)
To all those who worry about babies being safe while we work, God is watching over our babies, we need to keep believing in that:)

mannasn
03-22-2008, 05:25 AM
My husband got a job! It's just PRN... and 24 hour shifts! But that's better than nothing! I don't know how I'm going to react to not having him around the house to be a SAHD-slash-student anymore but I'll be so glad for him to be making a paycheck! :o

Goofyzgurl
03-22-2008, 09:07 AM
My good news is that my dh is home from deployment, just for a visit though. I'm taking the time off that he's home and we're going to Disney together before he goes back again.

PLUS, dd's soccer team won the county championships and dh was home to see it!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

momof3littlelilos
03-22-2008, 10:18 AM
My good news is that my dh is home from deployment, just for a visit though. I'm taking the time off that he's home and we're going to Disney together before he goes back again.

PLUS, dd's soccer team won the county championships and dh was home to see it!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Yay!
I hope you have a wonderful visit and trip!

Congrats To DD:cheer2:

DawnM
03-22-2008, 10:52 AM
We are very thankful that even though our Saturn VUE died on us with electrical problems, DH was able to surf the net and come up with a good diagnosis and the Saturn dealers fixed it and it works great (some people had posted spending a LOT because they couldn't diagnose the right problem!)

I am also thankful that since it is busy season for DH, he is able to get mileage on Saturdays to work and that is paying off the car fix! :thumbsup2

Dawn

LuckyMamaInDE
03-22-2008, 02:16 PM
There are robins in our front yard right now :) Spring IS coming!

belle&sebastiansmom
04-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Wow, over a month since this Good New Thread was posted on. That's a shame!

So the good news is I brought it back to the top.:goodvibes

My good news of the day is that DH is finished with his MBA classes for the semester and he only has two more classes until graduation. He's worked hard, has been stressed, but it will be worth it. Also, registered dd today for summer gymnastics, which she is excited about, and I bought her the Littlest Pet Shop Octopus friend, which she was even more thrilled with. I was thrilled with her reaction.

babytrees
04-29-2008, 05:39 PM
My good news for the day is that I finished my resume and I got the thumbs up from my resume guru friend. So I am one step closer to finding a different job!! Now I've got to get the guts up to put it out there!!

nannerbadnanner
04-29-2008, 05:39 PM
We have been needing a new dinette with wooden chairs since our daughter is now a toddler and the white cloth chair covers aren't working out anymore. :rotfl: We have looked and looked for something inexpensive since we plan to buy something nicer after our two DDs get older. Well, I found one today on craigslist for $30! It was in good condition and exactly what we needed! I was so excited because I did not want to pay several hundred dollars for something that I know is temporary!

marcyinPA
04-29-2008, 06:01 PM
My DS (7th grade) just told me two of his mid-quarter grades...90 in language arts and 89 in math. If he keeps up the good work, he will have made honor roll all four quarters of 7th grade, and all 4 quarters of 6th grade too! His long-range goal is to make honor roll all throughout middle school. I'm very proud of him!

mommytoone
04-29-2008, 06:08 PM
I think I have a Job :yay: :yay: This is a great thread. We all need some good news.

bmderd2
04-29-2008, 06:13 PM
I got a pin code by email today. Was able to call my AAA travel agent and she saved us $81 off our package for July. Not much I know but every little bit helps. And I hear deals for the summer are hard to come by. So I am very excited! Who knew $81 could make anyone this happy:rotfl: :woohoo:

snowgooseltd
04-30-2008, 06:01 AM
My good news of the day is that today is the last day before our summer campground opens for the season....five and one half months of living by the lake. My poor husband has to continue to work from there but our countdown to his retirement (22 months) will be more comfortable. Plus...we just booked our stay at WDW for Christmas. This will be the first time we've actually been IN the parks on Christmas Day. I am very excited!!

timzagain
04-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Wow! I love this thread. After a rather "character-building" couple of weeks, I am more than ready to celebrate some blessings, however small

Thanks to Free Dining, we've been able to plan a once-in-a-lifetime trip including my family, my sister's family and my parents! Even getting my dad to consider visiting Disney is a miracle!
We have a new kitten - DD's much loved (but very naughty) cat disappeared several weeks ago. We found a stray kitten in the street right in front of our house! We're thrilled to have a new furry family member!
My sis got a new job - way better salary! I'm happy for her
Oldest DD is preparing for a round of major exams over the next few weeks. She's getting free revision courses from teachers that aren't even her regular teachers. She's a good student with an excellent track record, so lots of people are willing to help her do her very best!
DH has got good work coming in
I've lost some weight
I found a cheaper supermarket so my grocery bill has been lowered significantly
We are alive and healthy!!

Bren's Mom
04-30-2008, 07:48 AM
I have 2 good news things to add:

My stepson made high honors for this marking period...Woohoo!

and

One of my good friends who's struggled with more than half a dozen miscarriages is pregnant again and has made it past 15 weeks! So her doctors are hopeful that they've got the problem under control and that this baby will make it!! And it's a girl...she just found out at an u/s on Monday!

lilybrooke14
04-30-2008, 08:15 AM
I just woke up to find our stimulus payment pending in our bank account. WOO HOO!!:cheer2: We will be able to pay off the last of our credit card debt in full and still have enough left over to buy 4 new tires for our car! With this taken care of, we can completely pay for our Disney trip in October before we leave.

It's shaping up to be a beautiful day outside. The redbud tree behind our house is gorgeous today, and I can't wait to get out and start walking off the 50lbs that I'm determined to lose by October.

It may be a little silly, but DH and I have never taken a real vacation together (not even a honeymoon). I am so completely excited about our Disney trip (with DD2) that I get all misty when I think about it too long. :blush:

Oh, and one more thing....DD just spontaneously started telling us "I lub you." It's so freakin cute!

belle&sebastiansmom
04-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Getting ready to give the kids a bath, read them stories, and put them to bed, you know, the whole night time ritual. I wish everyone a good night!

brenalexacamp
04-30-2008, 08:10 PM
hearing my dad be excited!

my sis has been franticallylooking for his dog tags since my mom passed-we found everything!! but no tags-so for her 40th-I am going to have some made-I needed my dads serial #
no easy task-national archives takes a few weeks- I want it now

so I call my dad and say by any chance do you remember........ he says a few # and then says -let me call you back- I have a laminated card in a little bowl.........

he was so excited to call me back and he couldn't find it but he knew the #! and remembered enlisted and discharged dates-1954-1956!:hug:
they are remodeling and have been living out of boxes for months
time is of the essence- he is dying of cancer too....

to hear his voice be excited and silly about being 54 years since being in italy was just the best!:hug:

da-winnie-pooh
04-30-2008, 08:42 PM
I just saved a bundle on my car insurance!

And it wasn't with Geico, it was the Farm Bureau.

We are now paying $2.00 more per month for three cars than we paid with our previous insurer for two cars. The previous insurer wanted $1,000/year for our new to us vehicle. So, basically we're paying $24.00 instead of $1,000. Yea!

The new-to-us vehicle is nice, too. So this century, unlike the other two:rotfl:

OceanAnnie
04-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Great thread, OP! I just found it.

We went on a trip and I *lost* my camera and my watch. I was just sick about them both. (The watch for sentimental reasons. I've had it for every special occasion in my adult life. It's not valuable at all.) Anyway, couldn't find them for hours after I had unpacked everything! I just chalked it up to disorganization and vowed to do better. I was still sick about it, but I was trying to let it go. But, I couldn't remember where I could have lost them! I could account for them both right up to the end of our trip. It was bugging me so bad!

I found them both! Yea! I am going to do better with organizing, just the same. :)

Just wanted to join in. Now I'm going to read the thread!

babytrees
05-02-2008, 12:54 AM
I am so excited and proud of myself!! I just put my resume in for consideration of a job:cool1:

I have been overly stressed at my job for almost a year and because of the crud happening in my outside life the job took a backseat. Better to have the known than the unknown.

So I have done 3 huge steps toward finding a new job in the last week!!:thumbsup2

babytrees
05-02-2008, 12:59 AM
oh and on purely fun good news...

a friend gave me a domed cake plate...just because!!:goodvibes

MontanaZoo
05-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Good news for this week:

Our zoo just got a bear from Knoxville Zoo - thanks Knoxville! and he's very cute. Plus the keepers let me hang out with them when he arrived, transferring a 650 lb+ bear is interesting to watch!

I was rear ended earlier this week (in a drive thru) and I had my car checked out and everything's fine, just a couple of paint chips that can be retouched! Plus I'm fine, the other lady is fine and my two dogs that were in the car are fine.

My mom had some weird thing tested on her hand for skin cancer and the test results came back today that it's benign!

chiefdragon
05-02-2008, 06:44 AM
I am in charge of the Jr/Sr Prom for the High School I work with....we spent 3 hours last night putting up a balloon arch for the prom tonight. All night I had nighmares that it would be on the floor this morning....just got off the phone with the hotel and it is up and still instact....what great news for us.

dvc at last !
05-02-2008, 06:51 AM
Just found this thread ---

let's all keep it coming -

:cool1:

jckdisneybound
05-02-2008, 07:04 AM
My (25y/o) baby brother is coming to visit me! I haven't seen him in over a year and him, our sister (his twin) DH, DD and myself are going to Disney next weekend! They've never been and my folks are footing the bill! I can't wait to see them!

pandora174
05-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Here' my good news ! My DS got a McKay scholarship & we were able to put him in a private Christian school which he can stay until he graduates ! Yeii!! My DS was a preemie with lots of developmental delays & he'll be mainstreamed now with only minimal Special Ed classes ! Yeii again ! He just started soccer & noone noticed anything wrong with him ! Since he graduated from PT he's totally caught up with the other boys & though he still has a speech delay none of the kids or even the coach have noticed ! Triple YEII :cheer2: We had to move but found a fantastic rental house (brand new) with a fence for my son & our other baby (our Sharpei Lola). We got a new TV for the family room & my DH who has always refused to go to the beach even though we live in FL has agreed to a beach vacation. So I'm planning a 4 day trip in August to the beach which my DS is so exicted about ! & I had a friend that we had a big fight in Dec & have made up ! Everyone is healthy & happy ! So with so many people losing their jobs & homes & illnesses we feel really blessed ! :angel:

babytrees
05-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Good news for this week:

Our zoo just got a bear from Knoxville Zoo - thanks Knoxville! and he's very cute. Plus the keepers let me hang out with them when he arrived, transferring a 650 lb+ bear is interesting to watch!

I was rear ended earlier this week (in a drive thru) and I had my car checked out and everything's fine, just a couple of paint chips that can be retouched! Plus I'm fine, the other lady is fine and my two dogs that were in the car are fine.

My mom had some weird thing tested on her hand for skin cancer and the test results came back today that it's benign!

would that be the zoo in Billings?? That was one of our favorite spots to go to (We lived in Billings for over a decade).

That is so COOL!! We love zoos!!

babytrees
05-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Love all of the good news!! What a great way to start a weekend!!

MontanaZoo
05-02-2008, 10:43 AM
would that be the zoo in Billings?? That was one of our favorite spots to go to (We lived in Billings for over a decade).

That is so COOL!! We love zoos!!

Yes, it is ZooMontana in Billings. We now have a bear!! He's so cute.

babytrees
05-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Yes, it is ZooMontana in Billings. We now have a bear!! He's so cute.

way cool!! I'll have to tell my girls!!:lovestruc

Mommytink
05-02-2008, 12:27 PM
My 7 month old ds said "Mama":love:

babytrees
05-02-2008, 12:31 PM
My 7 month old ds said "Mama":love:

:lovestruc :lovestruc :lovestruc

disneynan
05-04-2008, 12:18 PM
My job is funded by a state grant that ends in June. Just found out this week that the grant was renewed for another 6 years!:banana:

Paid off our first CC using the snowball approach. Now working on the second one...:banana: :banana:

Oldest DS had his second cancer surgery two weeks ago and has had an amazingly quick and uneventful recovery!:banana: :banana: :banana:

Thank you God for your many blessings!:worship:

MomofCKJ
05-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I went to the casino with my Mom yesterday, she wanted to go. I go maybe once a year. Walked in with $60 to play with, walked out with $700! Lady luck was with me yesterday!

MontanaZoo
05-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Dog's been pretty sick since December because of complications of medication and his arthritis (he's only 6). He lost 7 lbs since his last vet appointment a couple of months ago (cocker spaniel), but I had figured out it was a combination of him being sore and the medicine upsetting his stomach. The vet gave him a new med and he was famished last night and ate everything in sight! Then he played with all his toys and chased my brother's and sister's dogs that were visiting around! I think he's on his way to a quick recovery!

Disneyoverload42
05-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Today is payday, stimulus package day and we get the money for the closing on our Refi. For about 5 minutes, we had about $5000 in our checking account :cool1: :cool1:

of course it is gone but hey that's life...
(dog needs surgery - $1500 blech! )

C.Ann
05-09-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm back at the lake.. Doesn't get any better than that..:thumbsup2

DD, her DH, and my DGD were invited to spend this weekend with friends at a timeshare down in the Catskill Mountains - no cost to them except gas and some food.. They really needed the break.. Finances are very tight with DD not being able to work anymore..

It's NOT raining!!!! Forecast was wrong and it looks like it's going to be a great weekend.. :goodvibes

babytrees
05-10-2008, 12:01 AM
My job is funded by a state grant that ends in June. Just found out this week that the grant was renewed for another 6 years!:banana:

Paid off our first CC using the snowball approach. Now working on the second one...:banana: :banana:

Oldest DS had his second cancer surgery two weeks ago and has had an amazingly quick and uneventful recovery!:banana: :banana: :banana:

Thank you God for your many blessings!:worship:

I am sorry I missed this when you first posted it....wonderful news all around!!

babytrees
05-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Wonderful news from everybody!!

It looks like there might be a wonderful light at the end of the tunnel of financial H E double hockey sticks we've been in for 6 months.

ceceevie6
05-10-2008, 10:02 AM
After reading this thread for a while, I have some good news to share! Well, like 4 years ago, we opened a checking account with citibank, and it had thank you rewards attached to it. I didn"t even think about them until this week, so i checked how many accumulated over time, and I had enough to cash out and get myself a check for $200.00! That will help me in early June when I pay my property taxes (2600.00). Any little bit helps! Good news vibes to all :flower3:

TotalSnowWhite
05-11-2008, 04:01 PM
More good news!!

I'm a college grad!!! I graduated with my B.A. in journalism/public relations emphasis yesterday!!!

:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

Aaaaand, we're 16 days from Disney!!!!!

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: