PDA

View Full Version : Really OT - Tom Petty & Heartbreakers Concer

Anjelica
03-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Not sure if there was anywhere else to put this but we are looking at going to a Tom Petty & Heartbreakers concert at the end of August this year. DD LOVES some of his music (she will be 5 in a couple of months) and so we were thinking about taking her with us. This is at an outside venue and we would do lawn seating as it would be more comfortable (as long as its not raining). I've been to numerous concerts but not with kids so not sure if this would be appropriate for her - thoughts? We have also thought about taking son (20 months at time of concert) and figure he would just fall asleep while we were there.

TIA

Kristi1357
03-17-2008, 01:09 PM
I would bring her. I brought my son to a concert when he was three and he had fun. My DH and DS sat on the lawn. He did great!

I would strongly suggest ear protection though. I would not do it without that. I have a set of big headphone-looking things made for kids and they worked great.

My friend bailed on me for a Lifehouse concert next week & I will probably just take DS with me instead.

Firedog
03-17-2008, 01:38 PM
The last time we saw Tom Petty our daughter was about five also. We talked about maybe bringing her, but in the end did not. I thought with the "Tom Petty Crowd" getting up there in years (us included), it would be a pretty mellow atmosphere. Boy was I wrong! Drunken and stoned idiots everywhere, and I mean everywhere. I don't have a problem with it, but I was glad she was not with us.

On a side note, she's quite a bit older now and I asked her if she wanted to go see Rush with me this year (my wife refuses to go, hates Rush, and would be a major downer on the whole thing in general). So my daughter does want to go, but is fighting with my 8-year old DS over who gets to go with Dad (only two tickets).

Amy Epcot
03-17-2008, 01:46 PM
I would think twice before taking your 5 year old. Me and DH went to see Tom Petty around 3 or 4 years ago and like the previous poster assumed most of the crowd would be aging but we were very wrong! For sure there were many of that age in the crowd but Tom Petty must be attracting younger fans because there were a ton of teenagers to early twenties in the audience and many were definitely stoned or drunk and shady! We were very surprised and we saw him at an outdoor area as well and sat on the grass. I guess Tom Petty attracts stoners, no matter the age!

Anjelica
03-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Darn - was really hoping it wouldn't be bad but I didn't want to "assume" the stoners and drunks would be all around. I wonder if it depends on the area you live at as well as we seem to have pretty good crowds for most sporting/concert and like events.

elgerber
03-17-2008, 03:22 PM
I have to agree. I have seen Petty a few times, and his crowd, though older, really is a rowdier bunch. He also does a lot of guitar solos which make the songs really really long and loud, a 5 year old might get tired of them after awhile. That said, I am not a fan, and he puts on an awesome show!!!

sl_underwood
03-17-2008, 03:50 PM
My dd absolutely loves Tom Petty, she has all the cds, etc. We did see a concert a few years back at an amusement park with an outdoor theater. DH got tickets for the park from work and when we found out Tom Petty was playing that day we agreed to take her. There were some young people and a few drunks. We didnt smell any drugs but did hear some cursing, none by Tom Petty but by others who were at the concert. DD was 9 at the time and really enjoyed the experience. I think it made for a good first concert, not sure if I would have taken her at 5 though.