PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for tri ply cookware

Doesney
03-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Any good reccomendations or deals out there. Looking to spend no more than 300.00

Thanks!

shelly3girls
03-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Bed Bath and Beyond has the Calphalon tri-ply. I just bought the 13 piece set for $400 and used a 20% off coupon. I paid $320 plus I got a $50 gift card and a free wok. I believe the 8 piece set was $300 minus the 20% ($240) and you still get the gift card but not the wok.

Doesney
03-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks!

darlene9947
03-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I bought the Caphlon set 2 years ago, the one with the non-stick coating. Same deal, my son-in-law worked there at the time, so I got his discount. I hate them. The coating has come off, I've never used metal utensils only plastic or wood.

I've gone back to using my 35+ yrs old Le Creuset (flame orange! - gotta love the 70's :) Now, I'm looking to get the larger 7.5 qt. stock pot in the gorgeous new Caribbean blue color they have. These pots are great. Of course, now that I'm using them again, I remember why I stopped in the first place - they are heavy!! But they cook like a dream.

I think if I were looking for something else, I might try stainless steel - but heck, who wants to try to keep that looking shiny and new? Not me!!

bumbershoot
03-17-2008, 02:42 PM
We have the Calphalon tri-ply (NOT the non-stick). But we didn't get a set, we got what we needed, and will add on as we figure out what we need. Even though a set is a financial bargain, with limited storage space, it's not helpful to have things we won't use!

That said, I recently saw that Cuisinart is making what appears to be a tri-ply product, and it seemed MUCH more of a bargain than Calphalon. Kitchen Aid seems to make one, too, but I couldn't find it in anything but a set.

shelly3girls
03-17-2008, 05:13 PM
I should add that I also have the stainless steel. So far I really like it. Everything cooks faster and more even than my old pans. The salesman told me that the ss can go in the dishwasher but the non-stick cannot. He said the ns finish would come off if you did put it in the dw.

MrGarrison
03-17-2008, 05:18 PM
My fiancee wanted nice try-ply cookware when we moved into our apartment. I did a lot of researching, and two brands that were continuously mentioned were Kirkland and Members Mark - both from wholesale stores (Costco and Sam's Club, respectively). As we did not have a Costco near us, we ended up buying the Members Mark set from Sams, and after a year and a half, it's still wonderful. I clean it with "Bar Keepers Friend," which is pretty amazing stuff.

I've been in Costco lately, and I haven't seen the tri-ply set - only the kind with the copper/aluminum core at the bottom, which apparently isn't as good. But try to keep your eyes out - there are some deals to be had. If those brands do scare you away, I fully suggest Calphalon. All-Clad is obviously nice, but extremely expensive, when other brands certainly compare.

KDIPIAZZ
03-17-2008, 07:55 PM
My fiancee wanted nice try-ply cookware when we moved into our apartment. I did a lot of researching, and two brands that were continuously mentioned were Kirkland and Members Mark - both from wholesale stores (Costco and Sam's Club, respectively). As we did not have a Costco near us, we ended up buying the Members Mark set from Sams, and after a year and a half, it's still wonderful. I clean it with "Bar Keepers Friend," which is pretty amazing stuff.

I've been in Costco lately, and I haven't seen the tri-ply set - only the kind with the copper/aluminum core at the bottom, which apparently isn't as good. But try to keep your eyes out - there are some deals to be had. If those brands do scare you away, I fully suggest Calphalon. All-Clad is obviously nice, but extremely expensive, when other brands certainly compare.

I have 10 or so pieces from All-Clad and the Member's Mark set from Sam's Club. I'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference in the two. I highly recommend the stainless Member's mark from Sam's! BTW, I do NOT like Calphalon at all and would prefer to pay for All-Clad rather than cook with Calphalon.

shelly3girls
03-17-2008, 08:21 PM
I have 10 or so pieces from All-Clad and the Member's Mark set from Sam's Club. I'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference in the two. I highly recommend the stainless Member's mark from Sam's! BTW, I do NOT like Calphalon at all and would prefer to pay for All-Clad rather than cook with Calphalon.

What is the difference between Calphalon and All-Clad. I have only had mine two weeks so I still have another two weeks to return the Calphalon if I want. I have only used them a couple of times so I am interested in what others say. TIA!

KDIPIAZZ
03-18-2008, 11:29 AM
What is the difference between Calphalon and All-Clad. I have only had mine two weeks so I still have another two weeks to return the Calphalon if I want. I have only used them a couple of times so I am interested in what others say. TIA!

I don't think the core comes as far up the sides as All-Clad - I've had trouble with sticking. I don't find the handles to be comfortable and the pans seem unbalanced. YMMV

Doesney
03-18-2008, 04:38 PM
I bought a set today. I think I did pretty good after all my research. I bought the Food Network Brand Stainless Tri Ply 10 pc set @ Kohls. On sale from 399.00 to 319.00 plus I had a 30 percent coupon which made it 238.00 with tax But it came with two good bonuses. ! 16 qt tri ply stock pot and a specialty knoife that I have been eyeing anyway. So I am excited to try it. It gets good reviews. Apparently it is the same as emerilware. If I do not like it I will return it and spring for the ALL CLAD.

MrGarrison
03-18-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't think the core comes as far up the sides as All-Clad - I've had trouble with sticking. I don't find the handles to be comfortable and the pans seem unbalanced. YMMV

In regards to the core, it depends on what set. There is just a Calphalon Tri-ply set, but there is also the Calphalon Contemporary Stainless, whose handles I really find comfortable (while the All-Clad ones I find to be horrible - for me, anyway), and the aluminum core runs high.