PDA

View Full Version : Pay for a perfered room or not?

pepperderr
03-16-2008, 06:52 PM
I am still trying to decide when to book our vacation. We can get there some time after June 9th and will stay for 8 days with one day being Sea World. Can I request a room in the 80's or 70's or whatever at Pop if I book online? If I leave it as perfered room, can I still choose or do they put us wherever? From what I understand a perfered room is closer to the resturant. I forget which rooms they say you can see the fire works or illuminations or whatever it is, from. I would like input on this please. Thanks.

Tnkrbelle565
03-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Preferred at POP is the 60's primarily and some rooms of the 50's and 70's. You can request a room in any of the "years" but it's just a request. You will only get a room in preferred if you pay for preferred or nicely get upgraded when you arrive. The 60's is closest to the food court, main pool, store, lobby, and most imporantly the bus stops. Since POP is "motel" style, you may be able to see some of the fireworks from the balconies (not from your room). We never saw anything but the HIGHEST of fireworks when we stayed at POP.

rockyroad
03-16-2008, 08:20 PM
I don't.

Actually, the preferred rooms are not where I prefer to be anyway.

And many of the non preferred rooms are close too, just not in a straight line. you may have to go around and through, you know?

I would get a chart that shows the various buildings and look for an area you like. I believe that Allears has charts for all the resorts.

I like to be not too far from the main building, facing a garden area, and near a good spot to bring things in from the car, if driving.
I don't want to be right next to a big pool with all the noise and foot traffic.

I absolutely do not want to be overlooking a parking lot...and I don't want to be way back in a building like Hoops in Allstar Sports,

gower525
03-16-2008, 09:33 PM
We paid for preferred last year and I am doing it again for our trip in June. I am going alone with DD3 and DS6 and I really don't want to be too far away. Yes, there are many non-preferred rooms that are close to everything. There are also some that are not. I don't want to take the chance. To me, it is worth the peace of mind to not worry too much about where we are going to be. Last year we requested to be on a ground floor room facing the Hippy Dippy Pool and that is basically what we got - we were really facing the kiddie pool in the same area. I had heard alot about noise issues - but we didn't have a problem with that at all. It is also good to be close so that you can refill those refillable mugs often! I know many people disagree with me, but this is what is best for my family.

pepperderr
03-16-2008, 09:58 PM
gower, is the Hippy Dippy Pool one good for little kids? Mine will be 4 and 8. I think they would like to be able to be squirted with the water just as much as swimming in it. What decade is the Hippy Dippy pool?

Are the perfered rooms only in one or two decade sections of the resort or do they have perfered rooms for each decade? The way everyone talks it is a pretty far walk to get to the resturant and buses and stuff there. I read that certain decade you can see parts of the fireworks from your balcony but we are going to see them in the park so it is not worth paying extra just for that. If we will have anything to microwave (like left overs) I would like to be able to use the microwave and not have to walk 10 mins to get there and then have to stand in line too.

herewegodisney
03-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Preferred rooms were all that were available when we booked our Sept 07 trip. I liked being close to everything, but the loud noise from the main pool (forget the name) kept us up at night and that was even with our sound machine going loudly.

My poor 3-1/2 year old, who was exhausted, kept asking why those kids were screaming.

Anyway, it's definitely a trade-off.

jessica52877
03-16-2008, 10:21 PM
I have found at POP that none of the buildings are that far at all. We love to see the fireworks but could care less if you could see them from where our room is located, more then likely you would have to go out a bit anyways to see and once you are outside we just go to the lake area. Of course I am one that enjoys walking and so maybe that is why it doesn't seem far. I enjoy to see the grounds and take a stroll, although I know if I have to get there fast it isn't going to take more then maybe 4 minutes max from farthest spot.

girli565
03-16-2008, 10:35 PM
It's a toss up, I stayed in April last year in the 90's, it was close to the busses but nothing else. I went again in June last year and stayed in the 50's, that was awesome!! We got upgraded and did not pay for "preferred" but realized that on those EMH's at MK when we left at 3am it was nice to only walk a short way to our room.

It's a personal preference. If you think it's worth the extra money is up to you.

fakereadhed
03-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Request building 4 lakeview, not preferred. Close to everything, and a view of the fireworks-with no noise from the pool area since you are on the other side of the building!

1prince1princess
03-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Last August we received a free upgrade to a preferred room at CBR and I truly appreciated the close proximity to the pool and bus stop, but was very disappointed with the condition of the carpeting in the room. I was surprised that Disney would allow a room to get that filthy. My assumption was that since it was a preferred room, it saw a lot of traffic. Based on that experience, I don't know if I would pay more money for a preferred room. Does anyone know if a person can request that the room be freshly shampooed before a stay if you call in advance?

DisneyWorldOct08
03-17-2008, 08:22 AM
I actually prefer the 50's building, which is maybe an extra 3 minute walk but quieter and cheaper.

budbeerlady
03-17-2008, 09:10 AM
We dont pay for preferred, I figure that money over 7 days gives me almost my 8th day free. (Its that funny disney math...) Stay 7 at x in room A or Stay 8 for X+1 in Room B.

rdevine10
03-17-2008, 10:00 AM
We have stayed in the 60s, 70s and 80s. The non preferred in the 60s was AWESOME! Loved it! We had a lake view.

The room in the 70s was very good too.

The room in the 80s was a slightly fartehr walk, but if you cut though the parking lot, it was pretty close to the bus stops. (and less than a 5 min walk to the food court- and I swear you couldnt have gotten a more remote room than that one!).

Bottom line for us, preferred is usually poolside rooms, which I DONT want. I prefer to be in a more quiet location. And, I typically figure a little extra walking is good for the extra eating I do at Disney!

THe only downside to the 80s was it was a longer walk to the kids pool and Pop up jets. But, we also used the computer pool a lot that trip too (which was just fine, and very close to our room).

Im hoping we can stay in the 50s next time (DD loves Lady and the Tramp).

ceecee
03-17-2008, 05:21 PM
I have found at POP that none of the buildings are that far at all. We love to see the fireworks but could care less if you could see them from where our room is located, more then likely you would have to go out a bit anyways to see and once you are outside we just go to the lake area. Of course I am one that enjoys walking and so maybe that is why it doesn't seem far. I enjoy to see the grounds and take a stroll, although I know if I have to get there fast it isn't going to take more then maybe 4 minutes max from farthest spot.

I disagree, we were so far away the second time we stayed there, it took us forever to get to the food court (we walk fast). Someone told us we could cut through the bushes to get to the bus stop faster, but it was still a long walk. We didn't even use the mugs we got, because we didn't want to carry them at the park. I have gotten preferred since then. ASM I didn't think were as bad with the non preferred.