PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for American Girl party at home

Bibbidi
03-15-2008, 07:17 PM
My dd will be 7 in June and we have the American Girl party supplies, but after having all of her other birthdays at home, we feel we have exhausted all the standard party games. Any budget suggestions for fun things to do at the party? I know there is some flower lei kit that came with the party supplies, but other than that and a treasure hunt, we don't have any ideas. I wish the American Girl movie was opening in June, then we'd just do a movie theatre party--but no such luck. (Figures it opens on my younger dd's birthday! :rolleyes1)

ceecee
03-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Depends on the number coming to the party...but the AG Mystery Game might be fun. We made sleeping bags for the dolls (it was a sleepover) but you could make the fleece blankets and or pillows where you tie together two pieces of fabric for the dolls (you could pre cut so all they have to do it tie) that also makes a nice party favor. We also played our own mystery game "Missing AG doll" kind of like Clue (I made up cards) for a mystery game with rooms, activity and doll (we found Kit in the family room reading a book, etc.) the girls loved that. I've also seen fleece hats and scarves made for the dolls, but it's getting a little warm for that. We got the party hats at Michaels (I found small doll size ones out of foam) and wrote the dolls names on them in Sharpie, I got the little lunch box candy tins (Target $ spot) and they got that as a take home surprise as well, each doll that came also had a soda I rubber banded to their hands (which was a soda bottle lip gloss for the girls) and they also got Sculpty cake on a little plate.

Bibbidi
03-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Depends on the number coming to the party...but the AG Mystery Game might be fun. We made sleeping bags for the dolls (it was a sleepover) but you could make the fleece blankets and or pillows where you tie together two pieces of fabric for the dolls (you could pre cut so all they have to do it tie) that also makes a nice party favor. We also played our own mystery game "Missing AG doll" kind of like Clue (I made up cards) for a mystery game with rooms, activity and doll (we found Kit in the family room reading a book, etc.) the girls loved that. I've also seen fleece hats and scarves made for the dolls, but it's getting a little warm for that. We got the party hats at Michaels (I found small doll size ones out of foam) and wrote the dolls names on them in Sharpie, I got the little lunch box candy tins (Target $ spot) and they got that as a take home surprise as well, each doll that came also had a soda I rubber banded to their hands (which was a soda bottle lip gloss for the girls) and they also got Sculpty cake on a little plate.

Wow, these are some great ideas. I hadn't thought of the american girl game. I also like the clue idea. My daughters loves Clue Jr-so that could be lots of fun. Keep them coming!

mitchwebb
03-15-2008, 07:35 PM
The Mystery parties were on sale last month not sure they are still. Also there are some of the made for TV American Girls movies at Blockbuster.

We had a Nancy Drew party and had different charecters (some not even related to Nancy) put on the back of each girls and they had to go around asking question to try and figure it out. They loved it!

Sounds like a fun party,

momof1princess
03-15-2008, 07:43 PM
WHERE did you get AG party supplies? my DD would go absolutely nuts if i told her she could have an american girl party!

ETA: i thought the kit movie was opening june 2? did the date change?

preb
03-15-2008, 07:51 PM
I would also love to know where you found the party supplies and when the movie is opening. My DD would love this for her June birthday!

One other idea would be to watch Bath and Bodyworks for specials because they carry an American Girl line and often clearance out certain scents or products.

Mickeyluver37
03-15-2008, 07:54 PM
It sounds like you have the same party kit we had for DD's 10th birthday party. The scavenger hunt and flower lei's do take a little bit of time. We didn't do much else except food and cake/presents. DD has also gone to the mystery parties and that would be way too much for one night, IMO. I love the sleeping bag idea! :)

ceecee
03-15-2008, 08:21 PM
The Mystery Games are on sale for $7.00 at AG online and there's a free shipping code. The doll party favors for 8 is on sale for $7.00 that's less than $1.00 each which is a great deal and they are very cute. AG used to sell the whole party things but I don't know if they still do or not.

Bibbidi
03-15-2008, 08:26 PM
WHERE did you get AG party supplies? my DD would go absolutely nuts if i told her she could have an american girl party!

ETA: i thought the kit movie was opening june 2? did the date change?

I got the AG supplies on their website. They were over 50% off I think. I paid around $50 for a party supply for 8 in the tropical theme back in January (ordered early for a june party, I know).

The Kit movie comes out July 2nd. I think that's the date it has always been---I paid special attention because it is my other dd's birthday.

Bibbidi
03-15-2008, 08:31 PM
The Mystery Games are on sale for $7.00 at AG online and there's a free shipping code. The doll party favors for 8 is on sale for $7.00 that's less than $1.00 each which is a great deal and they are very cute. AG used to sell the whole party things but I don't know if they still do or not.

Thank you for the tip on the doll party favors. I ordered those - less than $1 a piece for favors--I'll look like a hero. I think I will keep that part of the party a surprise even from my daughter.

momto2girls
03-15-2008, 08:31 PM
No ideas, but I will post if I think of anything. My older daughter turns 8 on July 2nd, so we are naturally doing the movie theatre party this year. When I found out that the Kit movie opens on her birthday, I knew that we had to do it. ;)

Have you thought about what you are going to do for party favors/goodie bags yet? I would love to hear any ideas that you have. I know that I'm going to give each girl a Kit paperback book, but I need more ideas.

WDWorBUST
03-15-2008, 08:50 PM
My dd is only 4 so she is still a little young for AG. She just now started playing with her bitty baby that I was so excited about getting her two years ago.

So this may be a dumb question....but what if one of the friends she wants to invite doesn't have an AG doll?

MichelleinMaine
03-15-2008, 09:01 PM
So this may be a dumb question....but what if one of the friends she wants to invite doesn't have an AG doll?

DD went to an AG/HSM/paint your own pottery/sleepover party (how's that for indecisiveness?:laughing: The bday girl couldn't make up her mind.) The girls were invited to bring an AG doll or a favorite stuffie. Please be proactive if not all have one. There was one girl at this party who brought a stuffed bear. DD said another girl told her she was supposed to bring a doll. The little girl felt very bad I guess and ended up going home early. :sad1:

ceecee
03-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Have you thought about what you are going to do for party favors/goodie bags yet? I would love to hear any ideas that you have. I know that I'm going to give each girl a Kit paperback book, but I need more ideas.

Get the party favor set for $1.00 each, you get a doll size tiara, stickers, magic board and a wand I think, throw in some candy or a soda bottle lip balm and you're set. You can get small gift bags and decorate with each girl's name. Talk about a great budget idea! We knew in advance all the girls had dolls because she only invited her close friends so we only had 6 girls. One girl did have a Target doll, but no one really noticed...her name was Hannah Montana which they thought was cute!

luckey-lasvegas
03-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Family Fun had some really cute ideas for making doll size cakes and candies out of polymer clay. The girls could make treats for their dolls and set them around the dolls party table. DD also got a couple of American Girl quiz books for Christmas that were alot of fun.

kritter
03-16-2008, 09:46 AM
I think I still have some supplies left from my AG kit. Let me know how many kids you are having and I will look and see what I have left from my kit....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

littlele
03-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Just a thought....
We did the AG Slumber party for my DD8 in December. It came with the sleeping bag kits and a big board game that you play using the dolls as your marker. Needless to say, the girls were so wound up that after making their sleeping bags, eating, etc. that we didn't even finish the game. They just wanted to goof around instead of focusing on a game.
So one craft and dinner and they just messed around with each other before I popped in an AG movie to settle them down.

Tink415
03-16-2008, 11:27 AM
We've had AG / stuffed animal parties and made no sew outfits for the dolls or animals. A shirt and shirt are easy to make and fasten with ribbon tacky glued to the fabric or velcro. Capes work for dolls or stuffed animals. We usually use fabric geared to the the season, flowers, partriotic, halloween or christmas. I like the cake and candy idea too!

Bibbidi
03-16-2008, 02:36 PM
My dd is only 4 so she is still a little young for AG. She just now started playing with her bitty baby that I was so excited about getting her two years ago.

My idea was to invite them to bring their AG doll, or another favorite doll/animal. We don't want anyone to feel left out so we'll make sure they aren't. It won't be a big party and most of the girls who will be invited we do know have dolls already.

Bibbidi
03-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Family Fun had some really cute ideas for making doll size cakes and candies out of polymer clay. The girls could make treats for their dolls and set them around the dolls party table. DD also got a couple of American Girl quiz books for Christmas that were alot of fun.

I remember seeing this in family fun. Great idea--I'll have to look it up again and refresh my memory. That could be a great craft.

dmj1567
03-25-2008, 11:08 PM
I think I still have some supplies left from my AG kit. Let me know how many kids you are having and I will look and see what I have left from my kit....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am looking for a few extra things from the AG Mystery Party Kit. I purchased one on ebay but it is short a few items. Are your extra items from this kit?

MEM
03-26-2008, 12:33 PM
I remember seeing this in family fun. Great idea--I'll have to look it up again and refresh my memory. That could be a great craft.

When you find it, can you post a link? I tried FF search function and came up empty, thanks!

Psychodisney
03-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas! My daughter loves the sleeping bag craft idea nad I ordered the party favors and the Mystery Board Game (although I love the Clue game idea!)

kristilew
03-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Several years ago, we did an AG party for dd's 7th. We had just been to AGPlace in NYC, so wanted to build on that.

We did snacks that I copied from the AGPlace tea party. These were themed to the historical eras of the dolls: cheese sandwiches cut in stars for Molly. Chicken salad in phyllo shells for Samantha. Something Southwestern for Josefina (can't remember what). The biggest hit was cutting oranges in half, scooping them out, and chlling jello in the peels. Then cut those in half again. Very cute. I think these were Kit's treats. AGPlace presents these on a teired serving tray, which I found one just like it at Target for under $10 - 3 plates like a buffet server.

For activities: We tried to do some from each era, but mostly ended up doing Felicity things. We used paper plates and string and wooden beads to make one of those scoopy cones - in the back of the first Felicity book it has a special name. Of course they got to decorate these as well. They also decorated wooden dowels, about 18 inches long, and they each got a hula hoop and did hoop races outside.

The hoops were their main party favor. I also made copies of the cd that we had gotten at the AGPlace theater and gave them each one of the mini AG books.

They all came dressed up like their favorite Girl, and brought their doll.

It a fun and easy party. Unlike the Harry Potter one we did the next year, which was still fun, but a LOT more work! (Complete lab in "Snape's dungeon", etc.... so glad she wanted a trip to WDW for the next bday!)

Bibbidi
03-26-2008, 03:25 PM
When you find it, can you post a link? I tried FF search function and came up empty, thanks!

Here you go.

http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/buildmodel/feature/tiny-clay-treats/

It looks so easy and fun.

ireland_nicole
03-26-2008, 06:24 PM
I initially thought about the tea party idea as well, but you mentioned that you had the luau kit (lei's, etc.) what about doing more hawiian themed activities too? Limbo, hula dancing lessons, etc. &maybe have a pineapple upside down cake b-day cake (pineapples are hawiian anyway) between that and the lei craft idea, that could be 2 hours in itself w/ eating and opening up gifts.
Have a great party!
Nicole

T. Lynn
03-26-2008, 06:47 PM
We did a coconut birthday party last year. Had pop-up coconut invitaions (he held the letter/invite in his mouth), sprinkled confetti on the table, had DD's dolls all posed on the table with the doll party favors, and then had some word searches printed out.

DD said it was the best birthday ever and wants to do the theme again.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/etwinchester/IMG_0136.jpg http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/etwinchester/IMG_0041-1.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/etwinchester/IMG_0039-1.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/etwinchester/IMG_0065.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/etwinchester/IMG_0046.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p156/etwinchester/IMG_0053.jpg

lori1043
03-26-2008, 10:33 PM
THIS is up my alley! We run a small(21 girls) American Girl club and there is soooo much you can do with AG.

Take your childs favorite historical AG character/doll and make a party from that. Ex: Kaya-we made cornhusk dolls and decorated upside down sugar cones as teepees. You can get the EASY directions for cornhusk dolls if you google it. And the cornhusks are realtively inexpensive and in the veggie section of a grocer. Felicity- tea, with hot chocolate for those who "shall have no tea" due to the high tax put on it by the King of England for the colonies. Scones, lemon curd, etc, tea fare. Samantha- victorian crafts, and a tea also will fit.

We are doing Molly next and I am thinking that it will be very "American" themed. I will be doing research on Molly and looking things up in my AG books. If i get it together before your party-I'll let you know what we are doing!

Oh another thing, you can have all the kids bring thier dolls(or borrow one from another) and have a 'spa" at the party- doing hair on dolls and girls, nail polish, and watching an AG movie.

Have fun!

Lori

MEM
03-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Here you go.

http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/buildmodel/feature/tiny-clay-treats/

It looks so easy and fun.

Oh, excellent, thank you!

solgent
03-27-2008, 12:03 PM
We had an AG party at home when my youngest DD turned 8.

Girls made bead bracelets for themselves and/or their doll.

I made a "concentration" game where you have to find 2 of the same card using pictures cut of of AG catalogs. The girls played this as a group, working together to find all the matches.

As party favors we gave AG beauty products from Bath & Body Works and we made bookmarks with blank bookmarks from the craft store and pictures cut out from catalogs.

We also did games not related to AG.

Terry36
03-27-2008, 01:39 PM
popcorn::

lori1043
03-27-2008, 11:06 PM
popcorn::

Hey Terry!:wave2:

Lori

Terry36
03-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey Terry!:wave2:

Lori

Hi Girl!

momof296&02
03-28-2008, 09:12 PM
My daughter had an AG party last year. I hired a company to come in & they transformed my den & dining room into a little girls dream. They had a huge doll house, candellabras, fancy plastic glass, lace tableclothes, three tired food server (they served pizza bagels & pink lemonade) etc. I made individual desserts for everyone just like they have at AG-

I used

small flower pots (1 for each guest- got them at AC Moore for cheap)
a bunch of fake flowers (I cut them & used 1 for each dessert)
chocolate pudding
crushed oreo cookies
cool whip
green food coloring
baggies

fill the baggies w/ choc pudding & then put cookie crumbs on top
put the baggies in the flower pot & top with cool whip that has been tinted green
add a flower to the top

The girls loved them!