PDA

View Full Version : OT: Corn allergy

Bibbidi
03-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Is anyone here familiar with an allergy to corn? Derivatives of corn are in everything from breadcrumbs, to vanilla extract to baking powder! My allergist advised me to avoid corn when it's one of the top 5 ingredients and I'm looking for budget ways to find some healthful and tasty foods that will fit the bill.

Any suggestions??

iluv2go2disney
03-15-2008, 07:50 PM
My DS is highly allergic to alot of foods, but corn is one of his worst. It is in so many products that you would never think of. For instance, it's in some ice cream sandwiches and there aren't hardly any places he can get chicken tenders because there is corn in the breading. We have to watch out for corn, corn flour, yellow corn flour, corn mill and pop corn. There might be more but that's all I can think of right now. It's difficult to manage at first but it gets easier. Hope this helps you a little bit.

bumbershoot
03-15-2008, 08:41 PM
I really feel for you! Do you have obvious-enough symptoms so you'll know when you're eating something with a hidden corn ingredient? Well, that's a silly question right now...better to ask some months down the road of eliminating it, to see what happens when you eat it.

Anyway, the girls of a friend of a friend ALL have problems with corn. It's so hard for her. She has a problem with it too. She also has wheat problems, as do the girls, so it's even harder.

So far the only things we *know* to avoid with DS are the heavily processed corn ingredients. The Corn Syrup, High Fructose corn syrup, and Corn Syrup Solids (FYI, that third one is in Dole Whips, so if you're that sensitive but a fan of that dessert, I might as well tell you now) are the biggies we have to worry about with him.

There's a big thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1595131) about HFCS that might help you eliminate the things with that in it.

We recently discovered that even in foods we thought were 'safe', the Morningstar Farms products, we're not safe. Especially the breaded stuff. Of course we were quite ridiculously stupid the day we discovered it, b/c we were wondering why DS wasn't eating his veggie CORN dog. Since we've learned to pay attention to his dislikes (he hates "turning into a dragon" even more than we hate it, and I think he can feel it long before we can notice it, and we have read ingredients and found out that his feelings are right many more times that I can even relate to you) we went digging in the freezer and found a few that he can't have anymore.

I feel like I'm going off on a tanget so I'll reign myself in, but I just wanted to wish you good luck in this journey, and :hug:s for the disappointments you might encounter along the way, in reading ingredient lists (*cough* girl scout cookies *cough*). :hug:

Bibbidi
03-15-2008, 08:56 PM
I really feel for you! Do you have obvious-enough symptoms so you'll know when you're eating something with a hidden corn ingredient? Well, that's a silly question right now...better to ask some months down the road of eliminating it, to see what happens when you eat it.

Anyway, the girls of a friend of a friend ALL have problems with corn. It's so hard for her. She has a problem with it too. She also has wheat problems, as do the girls, so it's even harder.

So far the only things we *know* to avoid with DS are the heavily processed corn ingredients. The Corn Syrup, High Fructose corn syrup, and Corn Syrup Solids (FYI, that third one is in Dole Whips, so if you're that sensitive but a fan of that dessert, I might as well tell you now) are the biggies we have to worry about with him.

There's a big thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1595131) about HFCS that might help you eliminate the things with that in it.

We recently discovered that even in foods we thought were 'safe', the Morningstar Farms products, we're not safe. Especially the breaded stuff. Of course we were quite ridiculously stupid the day we discovered it, b/c we were wondering why DS wasn't eating his veggie CORN dog. Since we've learned to pay attention to his dislikes (he hates "turning into a dragon" even more than we hate it, and I think he can feel it long before we can notice it, and we have read ingredients and found out that his feelings are right many more times that I can even relate to you) we went digging in the freezer and found a few that he can't have anymore.

I feel like I'm going off on a tanget so I'll reign myself in, but I just wanted to wish you good luck in this journey, and :hug:s for the disappointments you might encounter along the way, in reading ingredient lists (*cough* girl scout cookies *cough*). :hug:

I have all sorts of allergies from seasonal to mold. I've been tested for everything under the sun and I'm allergic to just about everything, including a true latex allergy, and then this class 1 corn allergy. My problem is rashes that occur for no reason and with absolutely no correlation (at this point anyway) with either my allergy shots or particular food ingestion. The only foods I have trouble with for sure are raw apples and bananas (oral allergy syndrome). My itchy rashes start with no correlation to food consumption--for instance I have eaten a small bag of microwave popcorn, along with a coke and had no problems. Basically I've known for a couple years that I might be sensitive to corn from a previous RAST, but I haven't avoided it at all until my new allergist advised me to at least try to avoid HFCS and of course common corn products. He said not to go overboard at this point avoiding all sources of corn derivatives as he understands how difficult that is. So at this point I'm just trying to get myself on track in eliminating major sources of corn in my diet.

rhiansmom
03-15-2008, 09:32 PM
I grew up with a corn allergy. Thankfully I grew out of it but I do know exactly what you are going thru. When I first found out I was about seven and I came home and threw everything out of the cupboard that had corn in it and I think I ended up with flour and baking soda!

Corn is used in a lot of oils also to beware if anything is fried.

As far as what to eat.. due to my other allergies I practically lived on pasta and rice! Check out the health food stores as I found a licorice that doesn't have corn in it.

Remember dextrose is corn.

I'm so sorry but with a lot of research and fiding new foods it does start to come naturally. I had about 10 years with the allergies and finally grew out of them as an adult.

aanderson5
03-16-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your corn allergy. It is a hard one. My friends DD is allergic to corn, they found out when she was an infant before she was eating solids. They put cornstarch in diapers. She is now anaphylactic.

It is such a difficult allergy because they put corn in some many things, including non food items, that you just wouldn't think of. Here is a link to a really good site. It is Canadian, which I assume you are not, but it gives a really good overview of where corn is found. cornfree.ca/index.htm

I know my friend shops at whole foods for her daughter, never takes her out to eat and is actually considering homeschooling because of her allergy. I hope your allergy is not as severe.

ETA - I wasn't allowed to post the full link for some reason. It need the usual http....

ImprovGal
03-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Corn can be an extremely difficult allergy! I do not have any personal experience with it, but there is a woman on another message board I frequent who is extremely allergic to it and all product derivatives of it. This means she can't pump her own gas because of the corn-derived ethanol added to it. Also, some mail order companies pack in a biodegradable packing peanut (breaks down and dissolves on contact with water) and that material is made from cornstarch as well. Also, she can't eat any animals that have been fed corn -- all chicken, beef, etc. has to be from a pastured animal.

Good luck!

Bibbidi
03-16-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your corn allergy. It is a hard one. My friends DD is allergic to corn, they found out when she was an infant before she was eating solids. They put cornstarch in diapers. She is now anaphylactic.

It is such a difficult allergy because they put corn in some many things, including non food items, that you just wouldn't think of. Here is a link to a really good site. It is Canadian, which I assume you are not, but it gives a really good overview of where corn is found. cornfree.ca/index.htm

I know my friend shops at whole foods for her daughter, never takes her out to eat and is actually considering homeschooling because of her allergy. I hope your allergy is not as severe.

ETA - I wasn't allowed to post the full link for some reason. It need the usual http....

Thank you for that link--I bet I can get to the site somehow even though the whole link is not posted. I am not anaphylactic and actually don't have any clue what my "symptoms" to corn are. I have so many different seasonal allergies, along with mold, animals, etc, that we can't pinpoint what causes my eczema outbreaks. In reality, my corn allergy is the lowest one - a class 1, but my allergist wants to see if there is any correlation with my rashes and when I eat corn (or avoid it). I'm hopeful that it won't get any worse as class 4 would be the worst type. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm off to a good start on eliminating major sources of corn, and for now that's what my allergist suggested. I just pray that I won't have to eliminate all derivatives in the future as well--it's one step at a time right now.

zumbergc
03-17-2008, 11:13 PM
just a thought. A friend has a corn allergy, they get dizzy and passout if they eat corn. Well, they are having sergery, and are fighting w/ some of the staff to make sure they just don't use the saline w./ the dextrose in it.
Dextrose is made from pressed corn.
When under anestegia before, they would be the first sergery, and be the last one out at the end of the day, and still be groggy for the next couple days.

So if you are allergic to corn and you have any type of corn allergy, be very careful. If you have any type of anaphalactic (throat closing), just be aware of it if you do.

kandeebunny
03-18-2008, 12:09 AM
allergygrocer.com will become your best friend! I order a LOT from there, I am gluten and corn allergic and it's SO hard!