PDA

View Full Version : Need inexpensive reliable GPS.

njsweetP
03-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Help folks!!! I am in need of a good reliable gps system that isn't too pricey, like under $200, probably around $150. Let me know your experiences w/yours if you own one. What you like/dislike about it. Thanks!

Melynny
03-15-2008, 09:32 AM
I REALLY like my garmin nuvi 200 It is not the wide screen. It was the cheapest namebrand around Christmas. DH has the factory gps in his new truck and he loves my garmin. We used it for 2 trips to Florida and it really helped us find places we'd have had trouble with, Like the ATT store in Ft. Lauderdale. It gave is exact directions, even taking us down a one way street to avoid a center no turn medium to get us on the right side of the road to turn in. I love the easy features, like finding restaurants, and other places close to where you are. It's a nice unit. I think I paid around 250.00 with a 50.00 gift card at Target. They are cheaper now.

momof2disneyfans
03-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I second the above poster! I love it!

CowboyCO
03-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Yep Garmin 200 is as good and cheap as it gets for a GPS.

luvmy3
03-15-2008, 10:51 AM
I got the Garmin for my dad for Christmas and he has used it alot. He is technically challenged and this is very easy for him to use.

DW-Admin
03-15-2008, 10:54 AM
TOMTOM One. I got one from Best Buy and for one they are one heck of a good deal pricewise. Also I just need something that gave directions and had some landmarks \ points of interest like gas stations and restaurants. This does everything and more for what I need. Also i has a built in battery that lasts me like 6 hours on a full charge which is nice when I need to plug in my cell phone charger on a roadtrip. Thats just me $0.02...

girli565
03-15-2008, 10:58 AM
I have a Mio 310x, it's awesome, my aunt has a fancy Garmin and her daughter has a fancier Tom Tom and mine kicks the fancy one's butts. I paid $129.99 for it.

dis-happy
03-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Here's one feature I really want: do all these recommended cheaper ones (Garmin 200, Tom-Tom, Mio 310x) talk to you? I mean the voice commands, as in "turn left in 200 ft", that sort of thing. I really can't wait to own one of these things either, especially for driving around those unmarked roads in horse country!!! TIA

gonemousin'
03-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Here's one feature I really want: do all these recommended cheaper ones (Garmin 200, Tom-Tom, Mio 310x) talk to you? I mean the voice commands, as in "turn left in 200 ft", that sort of thing. I really can't wait to own one of these things either, especially for driving around those unmarked roads in horse country!!! TIA

Yes, the Nuvi 200 does have voice commands, but only the "turn left in 200 ft" type, not the full blown "turn left on Mickey Blvd in 200 ft" like the higher model Nuvi's. But that's really the only difference - the 200 is the base Nuvi model but still gives you a lot of bang for the buck! I was lucky enough to pick up the Nuvi 360 at Costco in early February for $250...LOVE IT!

mzlee
03-15-2008, 02:28 PM
I have the Garmin 260 and I love it, I paid around $250 for it. Purchased it as Christmas gift to self and got to use it in Vegas a few weeks ago and it was awesome. No more paper directions from Mapquest:goodvibes

I told my sister about one QVC had on special while supplies last yesterday for $178 and you can break it down to 4 paymments of $45. It was made by InVion and it talked to you, i believe it also had room for photo album, address book, and mp3. I believe the item number was E04616.

cruisnfamily
03-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Help folks!!! I am in need of a good reliable gps system that isn't too pricey, like under $200, probably around $150. Let me know your experiences w/yours if you own one. What you like/dislike about it. Thanks!
I have a Garmin Street Pilot 330 which I got refurbished from Frys back in October for only $150. I just checked and they dont' have it on their site right now. I love love love it!

mrsbornkuntry
03-15-2008, 03:04 PM
I have the TomTom One and I really like it. It's pretty basic, no mp3 player or anything. It does "talk", but it doesn't use street names. It will say "turn left in one quarter mile" then when you get there it'll tell you again (that's just an example, I'm not sure about the distance). I have had no trouble at all following its directions. I bought it for $149 right before Christmas from Amazon.

Msslaydbug
03-15-2008, 03:51 PM
I bought my husband and father a Tom Tom One for Christmas and they both love it.

mcorbo
03-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I recebtly got a Tom Tom One 3rd edition from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $166

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U9WVW6

It's great.

canadianmom2three
03-15-2008, 05:27 PM
We have the tomtom one as well, actually 2 of them, my DH bought one, and I loved it so much I bought one too, and then we lent it to my MIL, and she bought the same one as well...that said, after using it for a while now, there are a couple features that I would be willing to pay more for, but as a basic model, it can't be beat. It announces the turns by distance, not street name, but makes the verbal announcement several times, and if you miss the turn, it redirects you back to where you should be. It can do all sorts of other things too, like I can set it to alarm and/or black out if DH exceeds a certain speed, it can find any number of points of interest, and is VERY easy to use. WE have been really pleased with it for the most part, and paid CAN $150 for it, My MIL bought hers for US$164.

girli565
03-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Yes, the Mio 310x does talk to you but it won't say the street names. But I find that I like that better. I like knowing the "Exit in 200 yards" because you KNOW it's the next exit and not the one after. The street names throw me off because then I have to look for the street signs on top of getting the turn.

MichelleinMaine
03-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Another :thumbsup2 for the TomTom One. It actually did the best (or very near) out of the various tests they did on the Today Show. (It and a couple other GPS costing more.)

We've affectionately named ours Gabby (so yes, she talks to us, lol). She gets a little wierd with directions from time to time, but we have friends with a much fancier Garmin who have the odd issue too. Gabby always gets us where we want to go. Sometimes not the way we're expecting though!

They're often on sale at Staples, Best Buy, etc. I got ours $100 (but that was Black Friday.)

donald&daisy
03-15-2008, 07:28 PM
I have a Mio Digiwalker C230. I love it. It says street names. I picked it up for $160 on Amazon with free shipping. We are using it when we go to Florida....TOMORROW!!! Yay! I'm excited...anyways I totally recommed this Mio model...no bells and whistles, but I didn't need any of that stuff...just someone to tell me where to go.

njsweetP
03-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks folks for all the replies! After doing some more research I ended up buying the Garmin Nuvi 200 from Best Buy today. It was on sale, then I price matched to Circuit City, so $176 was the final before taxes. Oh, and I had a gift card - so out of pocket expense was ZERO!!!! I have $$ leftover on the GC too!:lmao: The little guy is charging as I type this. Can't wait to check it out!