PDA

View Full Version : Which IPOD to buy?

Gabrielsbigtrip
03-14-2008, 07:01 PM
So if you have been following the "I sold my Gold" threads, you will know that some of us came into some cash.

I sold my gold and got $406.00.

I want to buy an IPOD but I don't know which one I should get.

I want to be able to watch episodes of Lost on my plane ride in May to WDW. I also obviously want to listen to music. I don't need tons of music though. I see that they have the IPOD touch and that connects to the internet.

How does that work? I understand it is wireless but do I have to get on the internet at home? Would I be able to get on the internet on the plane?

I don't own any MP3 player now so this is a first for me. If I don't get a big response here - I will post over at the Teens forum, I am sure they know everything about them:goodvibes

Any opinions or information would be great.

Thanks in advance.

clarabelle
03-14-2008, 07:26 PM
I have an I-Pod nano
It has a little screen and enough memory for plenty of music
I do podcasts and recorded books and a few TV shows. Occasionally I will run out of space and you just uncheck something you are not listening to anymore on your I-tunes.

I don't know anything about the touch-my husband has an I-phone I will ask him about the internet part

clarabelle
03-14-2008, 07:32 PM
My DH says you need to have a wireless network. So no -you would not be able to use the I-pod touch on the plane (to get on the internet)

LMCT88
03-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi, Have the ipod touch and I have to say I love it. You can use the internet at home with it (it has wi-fi) so your able to connect to internet as long as a wi-fi service is available in the area. Although I tried at the airport and it showed the wi-fi was available, but I stll had an issue connecting. I would speak to someone at apple and see what they tell you. I have have the ipod, shuffle, etc. I have to say I do love my ipod touch, it is really simple to use. Hope this helps.

labdogs42
03-14-2008, 08:58 PM
I have a 60G iPod video. I can't fill it up to save my life!! I have TONS of music, videos, and pictures on it and it still isn't full. I guess what I'm saying is, you don't need anything bigger than 60G! I would get the new nano or the 40G video iPod if I was you. Go check them out, hold them in your hand, look at the screen sizes and pick the one that you like!

bigolive9
03-14-2008, 09:15 PM
I got 80g iPod classic for Christmas. I had a 4g mini before, and I have been manually managaing my music for 2 years, so DH got me the bigger one.
I love the Classic. I have more room than I will ever fill for music, videos, and photos. It also come with 3 games, and you can purchase more through iTunes. Is has plenty of space- I could rent movies from iTunes if I want, which I will probably consider next time I go on vacation. I don't need the internet connection, but DH told me that you have to have WiFi available, so you could not get on the net while riding in the car or the plane or what not. However, you can get on while in a place that has WiFi available, such as Starbucks. I personally don't like the new Nanos. They are way too small for me- I would be afraid of breaking it all the time, or losing it in my purse.
Good luck deciding which one to get. If you go to apple.com, I believe they have a comparison chart- also you can get them engraved for free if you order from apple.com. This is nice in case it gets stolen, but is only available through the website.

simonkodousek
03-14-2008, 09:37 PM
I've owned three iPods in the past few years; first, I started out with a 2 GB 1st Gen Nano. Next, I got a 30 GB iPod Video. This one has been my favorite because I can watch episodes of various shows while exercising, yet still having the vast storage capacity for music and movies. Finally, I purchased an iPod Shuffle. This is used for "around-the-house" listening, which is great. The only reason I have had so many iPods is the storage; 2 GB holds some songs and podcasts, but fills up quickly. 30 GB holds about 20 hours of video along with about 30 hours of music and podcasts.

If I had a choice now, I would get an 80 GB iPod Classic. For the price of the Touch, 16 and 32 GB's isn't enough space. :)

momm2four
03-14-2008, 10:03 PM
I got the 16 gb touch and I LOVE it. It is so cool to use.

Lori P. :)

wdwstar
03-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Target has the ipod 8gb touch for $299 plus you get a target $50 gift card all week, today is the last day. I have $110 in gift cards and i keep going back and fourth if i should buy this ipod or not...:rotfl: in the long run it would only cost me $139 plus tax. cashing in $110 GC and $50gC ( i know i would not be able to use the $50 GC towards the ipod purchase ;)

anyone have the 8gb ipod touch ? how many movies can you download and music ? and i do like the wireless internet.

Gabrielsbigtrip
03-15-2008, 07:00 AM
That would work for me too with getting the gift card! Was that in the store or online?

I don't foresee me have a whole library of songs but would like to be able to hold at least 100 and maybe hold about 3-5 hours of TV shows.

Do you think the smaller memory would work for me as well?

wdwstar
03-15-2008, 07:07 AM
the ipod is in the store and targets sale ad ;)

Gabrielsbigtrip
03-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Also, Walmart has the 8gb Bundled with your choice of three accessories for 317.00. That seems like a good price.

What accessories would I need if any?

wdwstar
03-15-2008, 10:53 AM
walmart price is not bad at all, especially with your choice of three accessiores. I would still like to know how many hours of movie & music time i can put on an 8GB. :confused3

Gabrielsbigtrip
03-15-2008, 11:19 AM
What accessories does everyone have? I have never owned one so I don't know what I would need. I would love an extra battery pack if they exist. But other than that would I need anything else?

I also don't know if the Walmart price reflects the model that has the software upgrade or if I would have to pay 19.99 extra for that? I am going to check into them though.

LeesyUD
03-15-2008, 02:49 PM
I have the 80gb classic and I love it! Me and my fiance in a way really want the touch ipods, however since we both have the 80gb we do not feel it is worth it right now since ours have such big hard drives. If you are only going to put a few tv shows on then you will probably be fine with an 8gb. But I would spend the extra money for an itouch. For an additional $100 I think it is worth it to have the touch screen and the wi-fi. We originally got the big hard drives bc we felt like we would have these for such a long time and wanted to keep building up our library. However I have had mine for about 2 years and I am already drooling over the new ones, so who knows how much longer I will have this one. If they had the itouch when I got mine I probably would have gone for that. However for me the 8gb would be too small bc I have used about 12gb of mine so far. I have used up to about 4gb of audio which on my ipod is made up of about 970 regular songs and also about 40 podcasts that range for the most part from 7 to 30 minutes each. I have used about 8 gb of video which is made up of 7 full length movies - hr and a half to 2 hrs each, a few short music videos and 13 tv shows 20 -25 mins each. And a very minuscule amount is photos, notes, and games etc. I figured I would post the amount of space I have been using in case it helps you decide how much space you will need.

LeesyUD
03-15-2008, 03:29 PM
What accessories does everyone have? I have never owned one so I don't know what I would need. I would love an extra battery pack if they exist. But other than that would I need anything else?

I also don't know if the Walmart price reflects the model that has the software upgrade or if I would have to pay 19.99 extra for that? I am going to check into them though.

To try to answer some of your questions,

There is no extra battery pack bc they have an internal rechargeable battery. They give you a usb cord so you can charge you ipod through your computer. If you want to be able to charge it using a regular outlet you need to purchase that charger separately and it is usually about $30. It is good to have if you are away and don't have access to a computer.

As far as the software upgrade, I think it looks like on apple's website that people that bought their itouches before the upgrade in january would need to pay extra to download that. but the current itouches apple is selling look to already have those upgrades. You should probably check with walmart, maybe they are selling ones from before the software upgrade? Perhaps someone else on here has bought one recently and can answer that for you. There is about a $20 price difference between walmart and apple.

The would definitely recommend getting a jacket, sleeve, case etc. for your ipod to protect it from scratches and finger prints you can get ones anywhere from $5 to $30. I use a silicon one that I got from the disney store for 12 bucks. If you have a five below store near you and use you just want a cheap one, their's aren't bad

I would also definitely recommend getting a screen protector. They may or may not sell them in stores now, but I have seen them being sold online. At the time I got mine I just got the film protectors made for palm pilots from staples and cut it to the size I needed. That won't work for the long screen on the itouch has so you would need to find ones specific for that. But It has really helped keep the screen in great shape. I just change it when I feel it is getting too dirty.

There isn't anything else I think that you need but there are some cool accessories for ipod. You can get a transmitter for your car so you can tune into a station on your radio and play your ipod through your car speakers. However if you do that be careful which one you get bc the two that I tried did not hold up well, one was not sturdy and kept falling off the stand and we paid about $40 bucks for it. Also if you want external speakers to be able to play you music out loud, there are alot that act as a docking station that charges it as well and they can be more expensive or you can do what I did which is just buy a cheap set of portable speakers and they are pretty descent.

Hope at least some of this helps.

Gabrielsbigtrip
03-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the information......

I think I am going to go see them in person and ask some questions.

I am leaning towards the 16gb just in case.

Thanks again.

smphbear
03-15-2008, 05:49 PM
FWIW - I have the 8gb Touch. DH surprised me for Christmas.

I keep a good deal of music. I switch Podcasts (video and sound) on and off as I listen/view. I have always still had at least 2 - 4 gb. If you really watch full length movies and want to keep them on it, it would probably be better to go bigger.

Hope this helps.

iggbees
03-15-2008, 06:27 PM
my boyfriend and i both have the ipod touch. we love it. it's big enough that you can watch movies comfortably on and i love being able to go on the internet when there is wifi around. we even used his for internet access when we were in disney because we were stuck there an extra day and needed to tell our bosses. there are a number of wifi places in disney, but it does cost some money. some airports also have free wifi (i think orlando is one of them).

Gabrielsbigtrip
03-15-2008, 06:44 PM
So I found the 16gb at Vanns.com for $339.77. It comes with screen protectors too (no big thing $ wise).

It doesn't come with the software upgrade which I think is $19.99. I don't even know if I would need that because I am an Ipod newbie.

The website has free shipping and NO SALES TAX.

Since our lovely Governor and his goons decided to increase our taxes with sales tax being one of them......I think I may order it :)

Thanks for the information everyone.

I went to Youtube and watched some product guides. I can't wait to try it - it looks very cool.

micki7337
03-15-2008, 06:59 PM
just get the largest one to pack the most on it

PurpleDog
03-15-2008, 07:02 PM
My 2 cents:

** Check out www.ipodlounge.com for great iPod info.

** The Touch does not magically connect you to the internet. You still need to be within range of an "open" wifi network. More and more businesses [along with cities and towns] are adding wifi but you still can't just walk down the road and connect to the net in 95% of the USA. The Touch with its low hard drive capacity is - in my opinion - WAY overpriced. On a 8GB Touch you might be able to fit 3 [THREE] regular length movies on it .. thats it - 3. You'd be better off spending the money on an inexpensive small and lightweight laptop.

** I've had the 4GB mini, the 60GB 5th generation, and now have the 160GB. You can never have TOO MUCH memory. These devices now can hold music, video, audio-books, and also Word files. I have 2/3 of my 160 GB filled. Will I ever fill it completely ? Maybe not, buts it's nice not having to worry about it.

pirate:

Queenbillabong
03-15-2008, 07:32 PM
I have the 16GB iPod Touch and I love it! I have six full length movies and 210 songs and I'm only half full - so it is plenty big for me, even though they have the bigger ones available now (32GB) for about $100 more. I have software that I can convert all our DVDs at home to iPod format (about $25 for the software), so I don't have to buy movies from the iTunes store (can't even do that in Canada anyway). I have a hard case and a screen protector that all together cost me $5 on eBay, so not much there. I do have the AC adaptor to charge at home and a car charger that we got when my son first got his iPod Nano and it fits fine and works will all the iPods we have (Shuffle, Nano, and the Touch).

PurpleDog
03-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Queenbillabong ...

What software do you use to convert DVD's into the iPod ? Ive tried a few software packages and have yet to find an easy way to do this.

Queenbillabong
03-15-2008, 09:34 PM
It's called EZSoft DVD to iPod converter. They have a free trial (but it only will do 5 mins of audio...). It is really simple, basically load the DVD, convert, and load to iTunes - even I figured it out first time :thumbsup2

Sorry - the webiste is www.e-zsoft.com

ilovecountry
03-15-2008, 10:17 PM
If your hearts not set on an IPOD, would you consider an MP3? The brand Insignia is awesome! They're cheap & they hold the same amount of music that Ipods do & they also have an FM Radio, and play music videos. They're compatible with Rhapsody & you can pretty much use any other music site w/ it too. If you're interested, check it out- Best Buy has the best prices & you'll love it more than your Ipod :goodvibes I love mine. Here's a link that shows you about the products

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=MP3&sc=audioSP&cp=1&sp=&qp=cabcat0200000%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq4d5033%7E%7Ef401%7C%7C496e7369676e69612623 3137343b%7E%7Encabcat0201000%23%232%23%23i&list=y&usc=Audio&nrp=15&iht=n

wdwstar
03-16-2008, 07:12 AM
I went to target an bought the 8GB ipod touch, the price was $299 plus you get a $50 GC. I had $110 in GCs plus the $50 GC you get with the purchase,
I paid $150. I have a samsung mp3 player now and im lucky i have 25 songs on it,:rotfl: and ever since it got wet on castaway cay island from a down pour, the battery only lasts 2 hours (use to last 10hours) and it acts up once in awhile. I think this one would be good for me, since i dont need a ton of songs or movies loaded on my ipod. plus i like the wi-f interenet part of the ipod and i know a ton of wi-f hot spots.;)

Gabrielsbigtrip
03-16-2008, 07:51 AM
I went to target an bought the 8GB ipod touch, the price was $299 plus you get a $50 GC. I had $110 in GCs plus the $50 GC you get with the purchase,
I paid $150. I have a samsung mp3 player now and im lucky i have 25 songs on it,:rotfl: and ever since it got wet on castaway cay island from a down pour, the battery only lasts 2 hours (use to last 10hours) and it acts up once in awhile. I think this one would be good for me, since i dont need a ton of songs or movies loaded on my ipod. plus i like the wi-f interenet part of the ipod and i know a ton of wi-f hot spots.;)

I probably would have done this if I had $110 in GC's but sadly I don't.

I went and ordered it from Vanns. I got the 16gb for 339.77 total. If I need the software updates(I have no idea if I would need/want them or not) then I need to download it from Itunes for 19.99. This was the cheapest I could find a brand new 16gb. I was just a little nervous going with the smallest version even though I bet it would have worked for me.

I can't wait to get it now.

Thanks for everyone's input. I ended up going to Youtube and looking at alot of video with people showing it off. I read that the Archos 605 beats the Ipod Touch but it is a bit bigger and I really like the Touch when I watch the comparison on Youtube.

Watch out world - Momma's gonna busta move :banana: :banana: :banana:

njsweetP
03-16-2008, 08:54 AM
I've been reading this thread with great interest as I am hoping to buy an iTouch within the next couple of months:) Does anyone know if the iTouch has a PDA feature? I'm hoping this could also replace my palm that is dying. Thanks!

vavalynn2
03-16-2008, 02:20 PM
I have an ipod shuffle 1G and an ipod classic video 30G. A few years ago I bought my husband a refurbished Ipod photo 20G (he did not want the video capabilities.. but i love mine!) from apple.com. They have refurbished items all the time and arrive just like new. the packaging is a bit different, but there are no scratches etc.. Right now you can get an 80G ipod classic refurb for only 209 black or silver.

While the internet capaiblities on the ipod touch do seem pretty cool... I like the larger capacity. They have the ipod touch refurb too for 329 for 16G.

And then free shipping over 50.00. And maybe free engraving? not sure about that one. And if you like you are buy a warranty on the refurbs too.

This Christmas I bought DH an ipod shuffle. No problems with that either.

Have fun. I love my ipods!!!:love:

disneyred
03-16-2008, 04:12 PM
hello.
i have read thru this whole thread and more.... I know and have used
the IPOD shuffle/nano and the old mini...

what is the attraction and main reason people LOVE the IPOD TOUCH??
it it because it can connect to internet ?? and what is the purpose .. you want to surf it while being out ?? not trying to sound too noob...
but in plain simple terms why do you love the IPOD TOUCH ??
and as I understand it , you can only use it in place where they have free wifi ??
thanks for helping me understand it all.

syko
03-16-2008, 05:17 PM
I LOVE my Zune.
I have it for music and their $15 a month for as many downloads as you want works out a lot cheaper for me.

smphbear
03-17-2008, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=njsweetP;23827643] Does anyone know if the iTouch has a PDA feature?

It has a calendar that you can load your events into. Then, you can set it to alert you about those events if you would like it to. I often set it to alert me two days before and the day before, but there are other options for alert times. I really love having my calendar in such a compact, portable format.

kimsuenew
03-17-2008, 01:26 PM
I have a Zen I really like and teen has a Phillips that is great!

Today though, I grabbed us both a Ipod Shuffle to use when we go for our walks, to use at the YMCA, or for him when he goes for his bike rides!

Why? Because they are cool! They have a clip built in, and it attaches to your clothes, which is great for activities (I have to use an arm band with the Zen and son tucks to Phillips into a pocket... not real secure)! :thumbsup2

There is a special at Walmart (in yesterday's ad) where they are $48. and some change each, and then you get a free $15. I-Tunes download card... you can't beat that!

I tried to get them online yesterday, but they are not available. The Walmarts in both local towns had them in stock today still, they were in green, blue, silver, and purple (and one of them had a couple of hot pink ones as well).

For the price you can't go wrong! :goodvibes

njsweetP
03-17-2008, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=njsweetP;23827643] Does anyone know if the iTouch has a PDA feature?

It has a calendar that you can load your events into. Then, you can set it to alert you about those events if you would like it to. I often set it to alert me two days before and the day before, but there are other options for alert times. I really love having my calendar in such a compact, portable format.

Ok, so basically, I can put all the kids sports activities, dr's appt.s, etc in there? What about a telephone book feature? Thanks!

caitty13
03-17-2008, 02:22 PM
I love my iTouch. I has work contacts and calendar on it. I can't live without it.

MrGarrison
03-17-2008, 05:26 PM
The iTouch is a great device. You do pay a premium for the touch technology, for sure. I am partial to the 80 GB Ipod's, as I have a ton of music and shows that I like to add to it. A 32GB iTouch was released recently, which is plenty of space for many people - but the price tag is high. Certainly try to go to an Apple Store, to feel one in your hands, use it, etc. Apple's software is usually very intuitive.

I have a Microsoft Zune, which I really enjoy, but I mainly only bought it because it was around $100 (it is the LOVELY brown color, which no one wanted, hence the low price). They have really improved the software, but in my opinion, isn't as smooth as the Ipod's yet.

PiratesRock
03-17-2008, 09:13 PM
A friend of mine recently told my she paid $50 for frostwire.com and gets unlimited music downloads. I have not tried it yet, but this would have saved me a huge amount of money!! Don't bother asking me questions, though, 'cause I've just told you everything I know!!:goodvibes

simpilotswife
03-18-2008, 05:54 AM
I gave DH a Touch for Valentine's Day and he loves it. If you plan on watching things on it then you should consider it (the screen is much larger than the regular iPod.

darcyt
03-19-2008, 02:55 PM
I love my ipod touch. I have lots of tv shows, photos, podcasts and of course music loaded in mine. The screen is pretty good size. You can rent movies on itunes. I have the 8 gb version. It seems big enough to me; it's easy to change the media on the ipod pretty quickly with itunes.

I take it with me when I travel (don't like to haul a laptop) and when I get to a place with free wifi, I can check my email or the weather or look up addresses, places to go, opening hours, etc. I played bejeweled and surfed the web for a looong time when my plane was delayed at MCO and the time passed fairly quickly.

Also, it's fun to load your travel pictures and short movies on the touch to show others.

There are many applications for the touch (same technology as iphone-- but you aren't tied to a contract with AT&T like you would be with an iphone), and more coming out soon.

Sorry to go on so much, but it's an amazing product!

Gabrielsbigtrip
03-28-2008, 12:54 PM
I just wanted to update that I got my Ipod Touch about three days ago.

I paid 339.99 at Vanns.com. I did go ahead and purchase the software upgrade for 19.99.

Wow, the thing is so awesome! :woohoo:

I got the 16 gb and so far I have about 160 songs, 4 episodes of Lost, one movie and a short video clip. I think I have about 13 gb left!

I probably could have gotten by with the 8gb.

With the money I had left from my Gold Rush payout I bought a few accessories (they haven't gotten here yet though).

DisneyWorldOct08
03-28-2008, 01:05 PM
My BF gave me an 80gb ipod for my birthday last year and I love it. The next size up was like 250gb which I don't even think my computer has that much space...

I think the 80gb is good for what you want. The screen is small but very clear and since shows and video take up more space than music, I would go with the 80gb as opposed to the 30gb because it's not that much more and you'll have it for a looooong time without filling it up.

The 30gb filled up for me pretty quickly. But I also am a huge music fan so I have a lot of music as well.

You can buy movies & shows on itunes, but you can also rent them too, for a lesser price and keep the file for 30 days.

auntie k
03-28-2008, 01:17 PM
I was new to the IPOD world too...but got one for my birthday - mostly for working out...then I discovered I loved to use it when I scrapbook, then I just discovered I LOVED IT - period!!!

I have the latest IPOD nano....and wanted to mention that the color choices are different online and also you can have it engraved. that is only an option if you get it on the apl website.

my friend put her daughters name and phone number on hers...my husband put my name and on the 2nd line a special message to commemorate my birthday..