PDA

View Full Version : When do you book flights?

zoomouse
03-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Does anyone have some sage advice on when is the best time to book flights for the best price? We are planning a trip to WDW in December and the flights are starting to be released now, but am I silly to book now?

extremesoccermom
03-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Personally I start watching my flights everyday after I decide when I am going or at least once a week. I set a certain price I want to pay such as from STL to MCO I really don't want to pay over 100.00 each way per ticket. I watch about 2 or 3 airlines including SWA which doesn't even open their flights until a few months ahead of time. But if I find one that is below my set amount and no stop overs and for the times I want I usually jump on it. I was right the last trip we took when we got AA for 79.00 each way because they never did go lower even with SWA Ding.
Just a last week AA again had our flight we wanted for 79.00 and I had a coupon from the Entertainment Book for 5% off making it 75.05 each way so we again booked it even though SWA has not opened up yet. Since they are talking about gas going up I didn't want to wait and take a chance. (the price usually is 148.00 each way so I am happy but I will still keep watching)

Tnkrbelle565
03-14-2008, 02:26 PM
We also book as soon as it goes at or below the rate I'm comfortable with. For my September trips...the highest I will pay is $200/RT/direct. So when it falls below that, I book. Incidently, I booked my Sept airfare last Friday since it was $199 (figured I wasn't getting much better than that with gas going up) and the price jumped $103 more on Sat!

Hedy
03-14-2008, 02:30 PM
We also book as soon as it goes at or below the rate I'm comfortable with. For my September trips...the highest I will pay is $200/RT/direct. So when it falls below that, I book. Incidently, I booked my Sept airfare last Friday since it was $199 (figured I wasn't getting much better than that with gas going up) and the price jumped $103 more on Sat!

Esp. with gas going up, I second the "price you can live with" advice.

heartsy77
03-14-2008, 02:40 PM
I purchased for our DEC 6-16 2 week ago, rt direct for 785 for 4 people, they all ready went up $40 a piece!

disneymom3
03-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Personally I start watching my flights everyday after I decide when I am going or at least once a week. I set a certain price I want to pay such as from STL to MCO I really don't want to pay over 100.00 each way per ticket. I watch about 2 or 3 airlines including SWA which doesn't even open their flights until a few months ahead of time. But if I find one that is below my set amount and no stop overs and for the times I want I usually jump on it. I was right the last trip we took when we got AA for 79.00 each way because they never did go lower even with SWA Ding.
Just a last week AA again had our flight we wanted for 79.00 and I had a coupon from the Entertainment Book for 5% off making it 75.05 each way so we again booked it even though SWA has not opened up yet. Since they are talking about gas going up I didn't want to wait and take a chance. (the price usually is 148.00 each way so I am happy but I will still keep watching)

I have to ask where is STL? If I saw a one way direct flight for $79 I would have to be picked up off the floor! I really need to figure out DDs school schedule for last year. I found flights for $221 with one stop for October from Mpls to MCO and I was pretty happy with that price but I am not sure when we can go.

flying_babyb
03-14-2008, 04:31 PM
any advice on how to find a great fare to Washigtion DC? So far the best we can do is 298 for twround trip 2 stop overs. Ok I dont mind stopovers as long as there just long enough to eat, pee, and buy a souvineer from the airport.

mrsklamc
03-14-2008, 04:59 PM
STL is Saint Louis.

englishrose47
03-14-2008, 05:27 PM
How do you check prices ? I'm not going til next May and we have always used SWA before. I too want direct flight if possible any advice on how to be on top of this would be appreciated!!

DaBoo
03-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Can you fly SouthWest and use the Magical Express?

CathrynRose
03-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Can you fly SouthWest and use the Magical Express?

Anyone staying at a WDW resort can use Magical Express.

You just cant 'check in' at the resort and get your boarding passes....

flying_babyb
03-14-2008, 06:06 PM
I know one tip for ya. Try diffenert nearby cities. I live in appleton and 20 minutes away is green bay. This allows us to check two airports. whats even better is we can do free parking at both.