PDA

View Full Version : Coinstar anybody?

Octoberbride03
03-14-2008, 09:40 AM
OK so we have what seems like a mountain of coins. I'm thinking about taking at least some of them to the Coinstar in our grocery store and cashing them in for a giftcard since there's a sign on the machine that says counting is free when I do that. Is it worth it to try it?

There are no banks around here that accept loose change and it would be nice to do something with the money since most of it is actually coins DH has been keeping since B4 we got married.

TYIA

ceecee
03-14-2008, 09:51 AM
We did that at our grocery and wished we hadn't, there was a fee though. Our credit union has one and it gives you a receipt and you take it to the teller for cash. If you don't feel like rolling it yourself and don't have a bank with a counter, you don't have any other option it seems. DD has had the best time rolling all the coins we got with our GS cookie sales.

seashoreCM
03-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Pay for things using the loose change for the last fraction of a dollar instead of getting change back.

Nothing wrong with using the Coinstar or whoever's machine if there is no fee at that particular location.

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Bren's Mom
03-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Our Coinstar machine charges and I've never seen the gc option so I haven't tried it. Until recently I always rolled it myself and took it to our credit union. A couple of months ago I tried out Commerce Bank...they opened one nearby and offered free coin counting with their machine in the lobby. And it's true...free, free, free...the machine spit out a receipt and I took it to the counter and they gave me the cash. We don't have an account with them. One other option would be to see if any local banks will take loose coin if you have an account...and then open an account just to get all that change counted up. Deposit it there until you need it then you can close the account.

DebMcDonald
03-14-2008, 10:01 AM
OK so we have what seems like a mountain of coins. I'm thinking about taking at least some of them to the Coinstar in our grocery store and cashing them in for a giftcard since there's a sign on the machine that says counting is free when I do that. Is it worth it to try it?

There are no banks around here that accept loose change and it would be nice to do something with the money since most of it is actually coins DH has been keeping since B4 we got married.

TYIA

We've done coinstar and got a Starbucks gift card for = to the amount of change that we had, it's was simple and a no brainer as far as I was concerned.

BillSears
03-14-2008, 10:09 AM
My Credit Union used to count coins without a service charge but recently they added a 5% fee for it. So I decided to try out the Coinstar machine and I got an Amazon gift certificate so there was no fee. It worked out great for me and I'll use it again in the future. I'd rather get a Disney gift card but Amazon isn't too bad, I can always find something I want to buy there.

Octoberbride03
03-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Pay for things using the loose change for the last fraction of a dollar instead of getting change back.

Nothing wrong with using the Coinstar or whoever's machine if there is no fee at that particular location.

If you knew how much change my Dh had you'd know that won't work. I do that wth the change i carry from recent purchases. But to dig into the jars we have already to do that, well it'd take the rest our lives to ged rid of half of it. And too much change makes your wallet heavy.

Days like this I really miss PA were i could visit a Commerce bank and throw the change in there. I'd rather not do the Coinstar, but rolling loose change for the rest of my life is not fun either

DVCTiff
03-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Our credit union (Verity in Seattle) has a machine that anyone can use for free. It might be worth a couple of calls to nearby CU's to see if they offer a similar service. I think either way it's worth cashing it in. If it were a pile of bills, you wouldn't let it just sit in a drawer.

mom2my3kids
03-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I use coinstar so worth it to me to not have to roll it myself..

mominwestlake
03-14-2008, 12:58 PM
We use coinstar too and get the Amazon or Starbucks gift cards.

NoeyLane
03-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Do you have a BankAtlantic where you live? They have the coin counting machines and there is no fee to use them - even if you don't have an account there. Coinstar is fine if you use them to get a gift card - they offer lots of different companies too.

tinaninea
03-14-2008, 01:00 PM
I saw this too & wondered about it. The Disney Shopping Card is offered at my Coinstar location. I'm glad to see that some of you have recieved GCs from Coinstar. I was feeling kind of iffy about giving them my money and then waiting on a card to show up in the mail. Can you use a disney shopping card anywhere in Disney?

disneychrista
03-14-2008, 01:04 PM
I always use the coinstar to get Starbucks giftcards. Right now I have a 1/2 gallon beer jug/growler that I am filling to trade in for our December trip to Disneyland.

Our coin star has Starbucks, Amazon, Itunes and others that I don't remember.

BillSears
03-14-2008, 01:13 PM
.... I was feeling kind of iffy about giving them my money and then waiting on a card to show up in the mail...

Mine was an Amazon gift certficate type of thing not a gift card. On the Coinstar paper receipt there was a gift certificate number to key in on the website. There was no waiting involved I received the number when I cashed in the coins.

ENSOCK
03-14-2008, 01:20 PM
I know that you have alot, but why not roll them yourself? Yes it will take time but your local bank normally has the empty rolls for free. Or you could go to Walmart and purchase a coin counter. We had one that took batteries and my kids loved to use it. Good luck.

bumbershoot
03-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Mine was an Amazon gift certficate type of thing not a gift card. On the Coinstar paper receipt there was a gift certificate number to key in on the website. There was no waiting involved I received the number when I cashed in the coins.

I did the amazon GC too, and that was exactly my experience. No waiting at all!

Now, I buy things from amazon often (check out my siggie for a partial reason, lol) so it wasn't anything I wouldn't have normally used. And when we did it we were going camping and needed a few more things, and it was very helpful for that!

I know that you have alot, but why not roll them yourself? Yes it will take time but your local bank normally has the empty rolls for free. Or you could go to Walmart and purchase a coin counter. We had one that took batteries and my kids loved to use it. Good luck.

At our local banks, they charge 10% for rolled coin, and won't even touch unrolled coins. They tell me that they are charged by the cash-courier people and now they have to pass it along. I don't know if the OP's banks are like that (she might not even know yet if she hasn't tried it) but they are here!

ncbyrne
03-14-2008, 01:42 PM
If you get a gift card be certain that there are no hidden fees, and make sure there is no expiration (or be sure to use it before that date). Personally, I want my change as cold hard cash. Some time ago we had almost $1000 in coins. We rolled a little at a time (using the free wrappers from the bank). I'd count and make piles...10 dimes, 10 pennies, etc., and DH would wrap while we watched tv. It didn't take as long as we thought. Since then we have purchased coin tube banks...when it gets filled to the top, we wrap and put it right in the bank to gain interest.

cjl
03-14-2008, 02:17 PM
We use the CoinStar machines and get Amazon GC's to use for Christmas gifts. Love it.

Toby'sFriend
03-14-2008, 02:18 PM
our bank tries to charge a fee but I tell them to count it or I will close my accounts. Since there are other banks and credit unions in the area that count for free, they comply. I find it is best to go at a really slow period of the day -- like around 2pm after the lunch hours. They're all just standing around then anyway. I also don't bring a wheelbarrow full in. I have a small jar that usually holds about $100. It takes them a couple of minutes.

I agree with calling the local credit union or a smaller local bank that hasn't been eaten by Bank of America or Chase yet. They are usually more customer service focused, especially if you tell them that you'd be willing to open an account with the money if they'll count it for you.

kydisneyfans
03-14-2008, 02:24 PM
I don't like to pay money to get my money. Coinstar is not for me.

I saw one time where people separated the quarters from the change jar and only put dimes, nickels, and pennies through coinstar, thus reducing the fees. That makes more sense to me if time is an issue.

I don't use Amazon or Starbucks so the giftcards are worthless.

dopeyfanatic
03-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Do you have kids? Our credit union will count change for free if it's being put in the kids account.

delmar411
03-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Do you have a Chevy Chase near you? They have the coin counting machines in the lobby and free checking. If it's really a ton then it might be worth it to open an acct just to get the coins counted! LOL

4fosterkids
03-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Any idea's on what to do with a HUGE abundance of pennies?
We save all our other coins in a container for an upcoming trip...no pennies allowed in that one! lol
Well now I have about 4 large sam's club pretzel containers full of pennies

ENSOCK
03-14-2008, 03:10 PM
our bank tries to charge a fee but I tell them to count it or I will close my accounts. Since there are other banks and credit unions in the area that count for free, they comply. I find it is best to go at a really slow period of the day -- like around 2pm after the lunch hours. They're all just standing around then anyway. I also don't bring a wheelbarrow full in. I have a small jar that usually holds about $100. It takes them a couple of minutes.

I agree with calling the local credit union or a smaller local bank that hasn't been eaten by Bank of America or Chase yet. They are usually more customer service focused, especially if you tell them that you'd be willing to open an account with the money if they'll count it for you.

Since I work at a bank, we would nicely tell you sorry we do not do that. Any rolled coins brought are charged .05 per roll. We are very small and are very customer service focused. Please remember next time you threaten your tellers that they have nothing to do with the rules of the bank. We have to do what is told to us are lose our jobs! As for standing around doing nothing at 2:00 that is when we balance for the day. It is the busiest time at the banks.

Toby'sFriend
03-14-2008, 03:14 PM
oh it is not a threat, it is a fact.
Every month or two I bring a jar of coins into the bank and I expect them to be counted and deposited. If a bank is unwilling to do that, then they will not be my bank. If the tellers would prefer not to handle the duty, then they are welcome to go and get their Supervisor.

ENSOCK
03-14-2008, 03:19 PM
thank God you do not bank with me!!

Toby'sFriend
03-14-2008, 03:22 PM
thank God you do not bank with me!!

whatever.

I can assure you that my banks are more than happy to have our accounts.

kimsuenew
03-14-2008, 03:29 PM
We are members of both a bank and a credit union. Our credit union has a change machine. I would call around to ALL B and CU in your town, to see if any have one (we are in a smaller town and have that option).

I refuse to give Coinstar and money, IMO that is plain silly, but I see many people doing it at our local Meijers store so not everyone agrees! ;)

Giftcards scare me, look at Sharper Image... all those recent Christmas Presents that were given in the form of a giftcard are now worthless plastic.

We received a giftcard at Christmas the year before last (well...husband did, he is a mechanic and the bus drivers pooled together, and bought him a $80.00 giftcard to a local butcher shop). We thought we had thrown it away accidentally, but when pulling out Christmas decorations this year (I always save our Christmas Cards) I felt a heavy envelope and sure enough, there it was! Yay! :cloud9: I called the company and the secretary said there was no expiration date (it had been nearly a year now). Right after Christmas I went shopping there and stood at the counter and chose some wonderful cuts of meat, got to the register, and low and behold, was told it expired at exactly one year. I got nowhere with the manager either, even after telling him what the secretary said. I, of course, left everything there and walked out. I absolutely REFUSE to shop there anymore! The verification receipt was with the card, it had been one year and 6 days! :eek:

So my point is... getting giftcards can be a bit tricky, cold hard cash is so much better!:thumbsup2

If you have no option, and do not want to count out/roll all of your change, the Coinstar will work! It looks easy enough to do.

Still, I would say call around and check all banks and credit unions in your vicinity before using it... you may luck out! :banana:

We have been saving all change since October for our September 2008 WDW trip, we have the free DDP, and plan to put the paper money we receive from our coins towards our tips!:goodvibes We have three sandwhich size Ziploc baggies full so far, I cannot wait to see what we have come September!

Lintasare
03-14-2008, 03:40 PM
oh it is not a threat, it is a fact.
Every month or two I bring a jar of coins into the bank and I expect them to be counted and deposited. If a bank is unwilling to do that, then they will not be my bank. If the tellers would prefer not to handle the duty, then they are welcome to go and get their Supervisor.

I used to be a bank teller and let me say...it was NOT our job to count coin and roll it. That was the customers job. If it was not rolled we would not take it. That was our bank policy. We did not have the time to stand there and count coins. And we did not have a coin counting machine either. But we were always more than happy to give you free coin rolls.

juliana_sd
03-14-2008, 03:41 PM
You pay a price for convenience. I don't mind paying the Coinstar fee because I don't have to make an special trip anywhere, it's available whenever the store is open, and it only takes 5 minutes. Rolling change is not worth my time.

JKYlovesRuss
03-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Commerce Bank has a penny arcade. There is no fee. You even get a gift (letter opener or yo-yo) if you can guess how much change you put in! My daughter uses it all the time. The machine gives you a printed reciept and you bring it to the teller to cash it in.

Pixiedust34
03-14-2008, 04:11 PM
The whole point of a change jar is saving money, so I don't want to spend money to cash in the change. I'm not interested in gift cards as that change jar is for saving for WDW.

The kids and I make a project out of rolling the coins ourselves. We dump the jar and get to work. It's not hard to do, and the kids get excited when they see all of the rolls lined up. I recently took $93.50 worth of rolled change to our credit union. :woohoo:

jeankeri
03-14-2008, 04:41 PM
We have used Coinstar and redeemed for i-tunes and Amazon gift codes. That way there is no fee taken out. Works if you know you are wanting to buy something there.

Hedy
03-14-2008, 05:16 PM
My brother paid for his GPS in change he converted to Amason gc's. :teeth: So yeah, it works.

megthewonderful
03-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Once or twice a year I use Coinstar and get an Amazon certificate. There's no fee and you get the certificate on the spot, you don't have to wait for the gift card to come in the mail.

I brought rolled change to my bank about a year or two ago, and they actually unrolled it and sent it through a counting machine and told me not to bother rolling it in the future. So, I switched to Coinstar knowing how I buy things from Amazon anyway.

sumrmist
03-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Does anyone know if you get the disney shopping gift card if you can then buy a regular gift card that could be used in the parks with it?

Our grocery store has a coinstar, and I have change and thought if I could do it that way I would. If not then my credit union does have a free machine.

phragmipedium
03-16-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm pretty impressed with Coinstar! I was going to go check our local one today to see if it offered gift cards, and it had a ton of choices. As others have mentioned, no fee for the gift cards. I was going to use it to get Starbucks giftcards for my husband (it's all his change anyway since I never use cash). At the very end, it told me that the gift card I wanted was unavailable at that time, so they would give me the cash voucher without taking out any fees. :thumbsup2 I would have half-expected it to tell me that I had to deal with the fee, so I thought that was pretty good customer service from a box. :) So I cashed out and picked up a Starbucks card for my husband when I did the bottle return at Safeway and it all worked out.

Melrosgirl
03-16-2008, 06:59 AM
I refuse to pay coinstar's prices. We have a coin sorter at home. I use that. Now we have a Commerce Bank, so we take it there. I like the idea of the gift card if it's some place I know I'll need something from. I don't want $200 to Starbucks though, LOL.

Green Tea
03-16-2008, 07:40 AM
Suntrust takes coins. It may be specific to a certain branch in the area, or maybe on a certain day. But I have had them counted at Suntrust before. Another tip is to call some small, local banks. They almost all do it cheerfully, I have found.

You could use the local bank to open a checking account with the counted change. Then move it to ING. Keep the account as an interest account for the change saving. hen you get new coins, you move through that account.

Mono~rail
03-16-2008, 08:12 AM
I don't like to pay money to get my money. Coinstar is not for me.

I saw one time where people separated the quarters from the change jar and only put dimes, nickels, and pennies through coinstar, thus reducing the fees. That makes more sense to me if time is an issue.

I don't use Amazon or Starbucks so the giftcards are worthless.
That's what we do, except we take out the quarters and dimes leaving only the pennies and nickels to be sent through. Sometimes I'll even take out the nickels and only send the pennies through.

I'm going to check the lobbies of the local Chase banks and see if they have the free machines.

In the past, one thing I have done to roll pennies is to measure by weight. I have a small digital kitchen scale. I count out 50 pennies into a cup and weigh it. Write down that measurement and use the same exact cup and fill it to the correct weight. Goes much faster than counting.

Caboosey
03-16-2008, 11:05 AM
I love Commerce Bank! My roomies and I have a change jar, and before we have a party we cash in our change cup - in six months, we normally save about $80 between the three of us, which we then spend on food and drinks for our party. At the party, we put our change cup out with a note saying "This party has been brought to you by the change cup - won't you donate to future parties?" It works pretty well! :)

I am not willing to pay for Coinstar, because I have other options - but I do like that they offer no-fee gift certificates! Mmmm, Starbucks!

jackskellingtonsgirl
03-16-2008, 11:31 AM
My bank used to count loose change for free - you just took in your money with a deposit slip. It took awhile for them to credit it, but it worked fine. last time I took my loose coins they had started charging a fee that was almost as high as Coinstar, so I just took it to Coinstar!

JodiR
03-16-2008, 11:36 AM
My credit union will count the money for free. You bring in the change (no rolling...they don't want it rolled) and they put it in a machine in the back. The teller comes back out and says you have $XX. You can get it in cash or have it deposited.

leight
03-16-2008, 11:54 AM
I had a small jar of change that I brought to BankAtlantic in FL on friday and was surprised that it had the same 8% surcharge as coinstar. I was told that if you are not a customer that fee applies and that this started Jan 2008-so make sure you ask before using at your local branch. I will go to coinstar in future out of convenience as my personal bank won't accept change and only small amounts of rolled change.

sndfan
03-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Personally, I'd wrap it as a team. It may take a few "movie nights" at home, but there's a bit of satisfaction in seeing the money pile up.

Or, do the Coinstar bit now, but don't let the coins go out of control again. I have a small jar that I fill and once it's close to the top, I wrap and deposit into a savings account. I end up wrapping a few times a year, but it never takes more than a half an hour solo.

Best of luck!:)

kristenrice
03-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know if the Coinstar Disney redemption option is for a Disney Gift Card or a DisneyShopping.com gift card?:confused3 I thought our Coinstar machine was for an online certificate thus making it impossible to use it at Disney World.

I usually roll our coins and take them to our credit union. It is not always all rolled. Sometimes I'll have like $18 in rolled coin and $7 worth of random loose coin but I bring it all because I want to deposit $25 into my account. They accept it without a question and they have no visible coin counters. They just count it by hand. Does it make a difference that I am depositing the money into my account and not just asking for cash back?:confused3

plummer925
03-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Around here Coinstar charges 8-9%. My time is valuable and I don't want to waste it rolling coin, but I don't want to pay that high of a percentage either (NO banks in our area have counting machines).

I've compromised with myself - I roll the quarters and put the rest through Coinstar. That way I can take the rolled money into my credit union and deposit it and am not paying the percent on the highest amount of money.

:-)

Pumbaa_
03-16-2008, 08:14 PM
We are collecting the coins too. I am bringing the quarters to the Disney Store for disney dollars in small amounts. I will bring 5 or 10 dollars worth at a time and just keep adding them up.

The rest we will put through the coinstar machine now that there is an option for no fees for amazon.com certificate.

daisax
03-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Check your local town/city banks. Mine has a machine you can use in the lobby -- if you want cash they take a fee (forget how much) -- if you deposit it to your account, they don't charge anything. I just deposit it to savings and stop at the ATM on the way out and withdraw if I need $$.

Your local savings bank may have all sorts of benefits over the larger chains. I know the bank I had since the 80s got bought out again and again through successive mergers -- Bank of America was the final incarnation and they were putting fees on me for EVERYTHING. I switched to the local bank and it's been totally non-stressful ever since. I've been very happy with them.

mickeyfan2
03-17-2008, 04:30 PM
I believe that coinstar charges 8%. We take ours to our bank and the coin counting machinne is free for members.

Octoberbride03
03-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Just back from grocery shopping and dumping into Coinstar. We had a grand total of $220.32. That's just from what we brought in today. There are still 2 very heavy pretzel containers full of coins we have yet to bring.

No charge for the Amazon card which was cool. We actually had like 10 different choices including Disney Shopping.com. But Amazon is the 1 we're most likely to use so that's what we got. The screen said there'd be instruction on the ecertificate. All it really says though is how much its worth and the redemption code.

I am guessing that I DON"T have to exchange it for an actual amazon card. Is that right?

Its really nice to know that i can put all that change to good use now. I haven't used Amazon in a little bit simply because i didn't want to put any more money on my credit cards.

bumbershoot
03-17-2008, 05:45 PM
All it really says though is how much its worth and the redemption code.

I am guessing that I DON"T have to exchange it for an actual amazon card. Is that right?

easy easy easy!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aws/merchants/coinstar.html

What I wouldn't give for a $220 amazon gc...

MrGarrison
03-17-2008, 05:58 PM
It's strange - at the closest Coinstar to me, which is located in a Supermarket, you cannot get cash back for your change - you have to use the slip towards a your grocery purchase. My alternative is to take it to Commerce Bank, though I can't because I no longer have an account. :mad:

scrapquitler
03-18-2008, 09:46 AM
I've used the Coinstar to get Itunes and Amazon "gift cards". They aren't really gift cards, they are just a receipt with a code number on it. I have had NO problem using them on Amazon and ITunes.

I would not use the Coinstar and pay the 9 1/2% counting fee, its just too high in my opinion, but with it free for gift cards, definitely worth dong IF you are going to spend the money at Amazon or whatever.

I do this only because my bank is a PITA about coins. They will take rolled coins, but only 10 rolls per day. If you've got a jar of pennies, it is almost not worth it to drag 10 rolls at a time to the bank...I could be taking $5. worth of pennies on every bank tri for the rest of my life.

HayGan
03-18-2008, 10:32 AM
For those of you looking for a DIsney redemption through Coinstar, you can get a DisneyShopping gc and then order Disney gc's with that.

Luckily, a branch of my bank (PNC) has a coin counting machine that is free for customers (5% charge for non-customers) My kids love dumping their coins in there.

msbagley
03-18-2008, 05:59 PM
I was curious too about the Disney thing! Have you tried it before? I know I read on the rules for the Gift card that you cannot purchase another gift card with it. But if I can use an electronic gift card for disney Shopping and get a Disney gift card I can use in the parks, that would be great! Can anyone confirm this?
thanks

disneychrista
03-18-2008, 10:07 PM
FYI the Starbucks giftcard is an actual card. It is good to know that the iTunes & Amazaon aren't. Since I thought about getting iTunes to give as gifts but woudln't want to give out a reciept, boy would I feel foolish.

Rob R
03-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Sometimes coinstar has deals where you can get more than you put in eg: if you bring money it and get say a $30 amazon card, then fill out a rebate form they give you another $10 code. They don't have them all the time, but it's worth watching for. The last one was maybe last December or so.

You can see these on the website under product then promotions. Nothing going on currently, but it might be worth keeping an eye on.

I usually roll my coins as I go, so I don't get thousands of dollars in pennies. We keep them in the little chuckie cheese cups. So I actually went to the bank and bought $30 worth of quarters, threw a couple more in there and got my code...

rob

LizinSTL
03-19-2008, 08:45 AM
I was curious too about the Disney thing! Have you tried it before? I know I read on the rules for the Gift card that you cannot purchase another gift card with it. But if I can use an electronic gift card for disney Shopping and get a Disney gift card I can use in the parks, that would be great! Can anyone confirm this?
thanks

I'm interested in this as well. I have at least $600 in coins that I'd used towards our disney trip (paying for the DDP most likely) but I don't want that much in disney shopping .com gift certificates. I'd love to see if someone was able to successfully convert their disneyshopping.com gc from coinstar to real disney gc.

nana2tots
03-19-2008, 08:46 AM
No way i am going to pay a machine , roll your own coins and take to the Bank:rotfl:

megveg
03-19-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm interested in this as well. I have at least $600 in coins that I'd used towards our disney trip (paying for the DDP most likely) but I don't want that much in disney shopping .com gift certificates. I'd love to see if someone was able to successfully convert their disneyshopping.com gc from coinstar to real disney gc.

i hope someone can confirm this, if it works I will DEFINATELY run the 400+ in coins i have to coinstar and get the gc to pay for all our food for the week (not eligible for the dining plan :( )

nowellsl
03-19-2008, 10:59 AM
My Credit Union won't take rolled coins. They will take anything under $200 without a fee. I just take it in every few months (before it gets to $200) and deposit it, then transfer it to my GMAC or ING account.

msbagley
03-19-2008, 11:07 AM
I may try convert disney shooping to disney dollars, since no one has given a confirmation. Won't be later tonight though. I may just try 5.00.
Let you know what happens!
Turns out you have to do it in increments of $25 on line to be a gc. Not sure I want to try this with $25, since I'd rather use it in the parks than on Disneyshopping! Don't think I need too much from Disney before my trip!

holly7347
03-19-2008, 11:13 AM
If there is truly no fee it sounds like a great deal.

My DH has 2 jars for change - one is just for pennies and the other is all silver change. The girls always want money to play with and put in their piggy bank etc and they get the pennies from DH's jar. When DH is low on spending money he will roll some of his silver money and take it to our bank. If you roll a little at a time it really isn't that hard/time consuming and I certainly wouldn't pay anyone to do it for me. DH spreads all the money out on the coffee table and watches TV while doing it. DD#1 is starting to help by counting out 10 quarters etc (then DH double checks before rolling)

shamrock30
03-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Our Coinstar machine had quite a few choices of giftcards. I know that Borders giftcards were another option that no one has mentioned. Eddiebauer was another one, but that one might have been a code you had to use online.

nowellsl
03-19-2008, 12:40 PM
According to the coinstar website there are several grocery stores in my area that give out e-certificates to Disneyshopping.com. If anyone finds out if you can use these for gift cards, please come back and let us know!!! Thanks!

LizinSTL
03-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Our Coinstar machine had quite a few choices of giftcards. I know that Borders giftcards were another option that no one has mentioned. Eddiebauer was another one, but that one might have been a code you had to use online.

The coinstar machine at my supermarket was out of starbucks cards BUT it allowed me to reload my starbucks card- no fee. Just fyi- I'd imagine the same is true for borders gift cards or AMC or some of the other "hard" gc that they offer.

dwaddict
03-19-2008, 01:45 PM
I found this on the disney shopping site! I hope this helps!!

Can I purchase a new DisneyShopping.com Online Gift Card using another Online Gift Card, a Disney Gift Card, a Disney Store Gift Card, a DisneyShopping.com Gift Card or a Disney RewardsŪ Card?You can purchase a DisneyShopping.com Online Gift Card by using a Disney RewardsŪ Card. However, you cannot purchase an Online Gift Card using another Online Gift Card, a Disney Gift Card, a Disney Store Gift Card, an Enterprise Gift Card or a DisneyShopping.com Gift Card.

I was going to use coinstar for the same thing. Get the disneyshopping ecertificate and then just purchase giftcards for our trip. I even went as far as calling and asking!

gower525
03-19-2008, 04:05 PM
I traded in coke points a while back for a disney shopping e card. I used that to buy a regular disney gc - at least I hink that is how I did it. Anyone else? This wouldn't be different, would it?

bumbershoot
03-19-2008, 05:13 PM
"How do I redeem my DisneyShopping.com Online Gift Card?
At DisneyShopping.com or DisneyStore.com, simply enter the DisneyShopping.com Online Gift Card number found in your recipient email into the Gift Card Information box on the payment page"...

But when I have a giftcard in my cart, that box in the payment section is greyed out and unclickable.

nowellsl
03-19-2008, 05:29 PM
I traded in coke points a while back for a disney shopping e card. I used that to buy a regular disney gc - at least I hink that is how I did it. Anyone else? This wouldn't be different, would it?

If you did the same thing I did you got a "virtual Visa" and used that to buy the disney gift card. That was a good deal!

msbagley
03-19-2008, 09:56 PM
This may be long but I apologize... So I went to my Shaws today right before my 2nd shift od the day and thought I'd look into this disney gift card e-gift cert. thing to see if I could figure it out. (since I'm one of those people who has to see it with their own eyes or have it very clearly spelled out to me before I will believe it!) Not always a good trait...but anyway, So I figure I'll just dump what I have in my wallet into the coinstar to get that e-gift cert. So I hit the gift card selection, then on to Disney. I start reading the fine print which then tells me that there has to be at least 5 dollars worth of change, (I just wanted to get in a couple dollars, see if I could apply it to a WDW gift card online) So I've only got about 2 dollars worth. so I walk away thinking this was a waste. So determined me decides to go to service desk and ask for change(quarters) for a five. (the bill taker on the coinstar was broken!) So this woman give me change. She had no idea I was gonna go around the corner and just dump it in the machine. Anyhow so I start the process again, reading the fine print as I go along, $5 min. I got that and the next page of fine print clearly states that this e-gift certificate can not be used to purchase a Disney gift card online. So luckily I haven 't thrown the quarters on the machine by now, so instead of asking for my 5 back, I'm now lugging around 5 in quarters. So I start to think I'll pick up just few items at the grocery store, and think - hey I can go through self check out, the machine won't mind getting all these quarters, so I'm checking out and in goes quarter, and out comes quarter 1, as well as quarter 2 and quarter 3, so then I'm starting to reach my limit, so I put in my last dollar bill, and ten decide this machine was going to take my quarters!!!! So in goes the quarter again, and it took it, so I pumped 5 dollars worth of quarters into the self checkout lane because I apparently had nothing better to do tonight!!

So there's your answer, not the one I was looking for, but an answer none the less! Thanks for reading my rant!pirate:

nowellsl
03-20-2008, 07:34 AM
This may be long but I apologize... So I went to my Shaws today right before my 2nd shift od the day and thought I'd look into this disney gift card e-gift cert. thing to see if I could figure it out. (since I'm one of those people who has to see it with their own eyes or have it very clearly spelled out to me before I will believe it!) Not always a good trait...but anyway, So I figure I'll just dump what I have in my wallet into the coinstar to get that e-gift cert. So I hit the gift card selection, then on to Disney. I start reading the fine print which then tells me that there has to be at least 5 dollars worth of change, (I just wanted to get in a couple dollars, see if I could apply it to a WDW gift card online) So I've only got about 2 dollars worth. so I walk away thinking this was a waste. So determined me decides to go to service desk and ask for change(quarters) for a five. (the bill taker on the coinstar was broken!) So this woman give me change. She had no idea I was gonna go around the corner and just dump it in the machine. Anyhow so I start the process again, reading the fine print as I go along, $5 min. I got that and the next page of fine print clearly states that this e-gift certificate can not be used to purchase a Disney gift card online. So luckily I haven 't thrown the quarters on the machine by now, so instead of asking for my 5 back, I'm now lugging around 5 in quarters. So I start to think I'll pick up just few items at the grocery store, and think - hey I can go through self check out, the machine won't mind getting all these quarters, so I'm checking out and in goes quarter, and out comes quarter 1, as well as quarter 2 and quarter 3, so then I'm starting to reach my limit, so I put in my last dollar bill, and ten decide this machine was going to take my quarters!!!! So in goes the quarter again, and it took it, so I pumped 5 dollars worth of quarters into the self checkout lane because I apparently had nothing better to do tonight!!

So there's your answer, not the one I was looking for, but an answer none the less! Thanks for reading my rant!pirate:

:rotfl: thanks for the update! I would have just thrown the quarters into my change jar :goodvibes I hope nobody was behind you :laughing:

Mono~rail
03-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I went and poked around on the Coinstar site to see all the different offers.
One of the stores in my area offers a pre-paid Mastercard in their machine! :bitelip:

Those can be spent anywhere that takes a disney dollars card! Easy! Easy! Easy! If you get the pre-paid Mastercard, it could be spent at WDW just like a Disney Visa Rewards card or anything else could be used.

Just thought I'd let everybody know since it doesn't look like the Disney shopping card from the coinstar machines can be used to buy Disney dollars.

To find a machine in your area that has that or something similar, go to www.coinstar.com. At the top it will say "Locate a Machine Near You." Click on that. On the left type in your info to search your area. It will give a list of Coinstar locations. For each location, it gives a "products" link. Click on each one to see a list of available products.

ETA: Nevermind. It looks like the fee is charged for the pre-paid mastercard.

disneychrista
03-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Most prepaid credit cards charge about $10 fee. I would be surprised if this was not the case with the coinstar version.

lntsmom
03-21-2008, 01:17 PM
at many banks they allow children to bring in coins. I haven't needed to do this here yet, so I'm not sure if my new bank does, but my bank in Missouri was happy to take coins...unrolled!...from kids!

We pick up loose change and found money and put it in a big bank to save for spending money for Disney trips. Last trip the boys had over $50. All but $20 was coins and the bank was more than happy to count and roll the coins.

Their policy was that you had to fill out a blank deposit slip and leave the coins in one of their bags. During "down" times the cashiers would work on rolling the coins. It took about 3 days to have the money credited to the account, but when you're talking about almost $40 in pennies and nickles, it was worth the wait!

4fosterkids
03-21-2008, 06:27 PM
We've had a bunch of containers filled with pennies, sitting around for years. DH and I took some of them (2 64oz pickle containers) to CVS this morning to check out the coinstar machine and gift card options. We both bet how much we thought it would be...he bet $5 bucks and I bet $16. We were shocked and happy to see when it finally stopped counting, that our total was $38.74. We picked the CVS gift card option so there was no charge. I figure since I shop there anyway, it will cover the cost of toiletries, meds, sunscreen and summer things for our cruise this summer.

katerkat
03-21-2008, 08:46 PM
So I'm confused - do banks want the coins rolled or unrolled? I have a HUGE vase 75% filled with coins from six years of marriage. (Minus the last six months when someone discovered "money for piggy!" and started snatching coins. :rolleyes1 ) I started rolling them but DH said to stop because banks won't take them rolled.

bdcp
03-21-2008, 09:16 PM
So I'm confused - do banks want the coins rolled or unrolled? I have a HUGE vase 75% filled with coins from six years of marriage. (Minus the last six months when someone discovered "money for piggy!" and started snatching coins. :rolleyes1 ) I started rolling them but DH said to stop because banks won't take them rolled.

It depends on the bank. My credit unions only take them rolled. Chevy Chase Bank here in the DC area have machines (like coinstar) that you can use for free. I refuse to use Coinstar since they charge so much (or they used to) to use their machines. I'd rather spend a few evenings rolling my own coins.

disneychrista
03-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Yep you would have to check with your bank on whether or not
1) they accept coins
2) they want them rolled / unrolled.

If you check out the coinstars in your area and they have giftcard/codes that you would use, then the coinstar is a good option. If they are not something you would use then...

bumbershoot
03-22-2008, 02:46 AM

The wamu banks in my area want them rolled, and they will charge 10% unless you're only bringing in 4 rolls of pennies per trip. Um, yeah....

The credit union we used to belong to was the same, though they did tend to bend policy for me. But it was a city-specific CU, and we moved from that city, so that's a no-go.

When my brother was in HS, he had a job at a bank in Miami FL, and they HAD TO take any money given to them, and if someone dumped hundreds of dollars of change at his teller window, it was his job to count it and do whatever they needed. :scared: That might have changed by now, of course.

You just have to contact your bank!

disneychrista
03-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Coinstar was probably created by some guy who was tired of being screwed around by his bank about not taking change. ;)

katerkat
03-22-2008, 11:10 AM
I guess I will have to call around - our bank is USAA so nothing local. I wonder if I can ship a box of coins to Texas for USAA to count....? ;)

summerrluvv
03-22-2008, 10:08 PM
I haven't read this whole thread, but if you have a Commerce bank nearby, they have free coin counting and you don't have to be an account holder. They have a little kid one too.

wovenwonder
03-24-2008, 08:16 AM
I have a quart sized container in my car that I dump my change into. I took it to coinstar yesterday and decided to treat myself with a Starbucks Giftcard. Imagine my surprise when it was just over $80.00!:cool1: