PDA

View Full Version : Pasta or Pizza?

tig_536
03-14-2008, 02:23 AM
My sons birthday is next month and we have narrowed down the menu choice to either pasta or pizza.

The pasta will be a baked pasta with cheese that we can prep the night before and bake.

The pizza would be $5.00 pizza from Pizza Hut or some place like that.

Please help whats cheaper? :confused: There will be more that 50 people at the party.

Thank you, Jenny

Danemom
03-14-2008, 07:47 AM
The pasta would be cheaper, but I think more people would like pizza, especially kids. If I served pasta, I'd feel like I should also serve salad and bread though - then the cost would be closer. I don't know why, but I don't feel like I'd need that with pizza.

You don't say how how many of the 50 are children or what ages, but you can ask to have the pizza cut into squares and it will go farther (not nearly as much waste from kids barely eating a slice).

ETA: noticed that this will be your son's first birthday (he's a cutie, BTW) so it will probably be a family party, not mainly kids you don't know as I was thinking, so now I think the pasta would be nice.:upsidedow Boy, I'm not much help, am I? ;)

LubsPoohBear
03-14-2008, 07:54 AM
pizza never can go wrong with pizza

PolyHereWeCome
03-14-2008, 08:59 AM
We have 10 year old twins, so have either given or gone to many many kids parties. Truthfully, have never seen pasta served at any kids party (is this a family party?) and many kids are picky about plain v. sauce on pasta, cheese v. no cheese, etc. I wouldn't go that route unless you offer an alternative food (like pizza).

As previous posters wrote, pizza is always a huge hit. We actually made our own pizzas for DD and DS's big 8th parties, and it was budget and a big hit (some grocery stores even sell just the pizza dough if you aren't handy with making pizzas).

jeepgirl30
03-14-2008, 09:01 AM
I do the pizza. It probably costs a bit more but you will have more time and less clean up!

JeremyGNJ
03-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Pizza, though a real pizzaria is much better, I live in NJ and most people in other parts of the country dont have that luxury!

You can find some great pizza hut coupons online....like 3-pizzas for $xx.xx.

daughtersrus
03-14-2008, 09:29 AM
I usually do pasta.

A very large can of sauce is under $3.00 at Sam's Club and it's GOOD!

I also get a package of french rolls there 12 for $3.00 and make garlic bread.

I buy salad at Aldi for 99 cents a bag and make a layered jello.

The problem that I had with pizza is that no one ever seemed to be happy with the toppings.

kimsuenew
03-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Pizza Hut has the "Mia Deal" where 3 or more pizzas are just $5.00 each. They are not bad (I prefer my homemade) but for the price... a good deal. They are one item, but you can pay for more than one if desired. Your other option would be a combo of both the pizza and pasta? If adults are coming, many might prefer the pasta however, I would imagine that children, even teens, would prefer the pizza. Personally, I would go with the pizza! Have fun :goodvibes and don't fret... it will be fine!

LeeAnn
03-14-2008, 11:00 AM
This may not be much help... I think you should have both. 50 is all alot of people for all to want the same thing. Make less pasta and order less pizza.

Pizza is great for kids and some may not like the baked pasta. Kids can be picky. Order pizza and have the slices cut in half. More pieces. If they want more they get more. This way less watsed pizza (especially w/ kids).

Adults can do both. And it would great to give a choice.

Hope I did't make you decison harder.

tig_536
03-15-2008, 01:21 AM
Thanks for all the tips! It is my son's first birthday so it will be mostly family and some close friends. There will also be around 15-20 kids/babies. I was thinking for the kids getting the mickey shaped frozen pizza. We are having a disney pirate and princess party. I was planning on having salad with either. I like the idea of getting the pizza cut in squares. That might work if I do both pizza and spaghetti. Hmmm... lots to think about.

Illuminations_Rocks
03-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks for all the tips! It is my son's first birthday so it will be mostly family and some close friends. There will also be around 15-20 kids/babies. I was thinking for the kids getting the mickey shaped frozen pizza. We are having a disney pirate and princess party. I was planning on having salad with either. I like the idea of getting the pizza cut in squares. That might work if I do both pizza and spaghetti. Hmmm... lots to think about.

Cute! I noticed at Kroger that they sell Pirate shaped and Princess shaped Disney pasta. I think it's Ralph's, FoodsCo, Foods-4-Less in Cali that should sell this (same parent company).

tig_536
03-15-2008, 10:40 AM
That's right! I completely forgot about the Disney pirate: and princess: pasta.:thumbsup2 That's perfect. Thanks for the info.

disneychrista
03-15-2008, 02:35 PM
I was thinking for the kids getting the mickey shaped frozen pizza..

Have you tried these before? They are the worst frozen pizza I have ever tried and I have tired them all.

tig_536
03-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Oh, no I haven't. Thanks for the tip. What a bummer. I thought that would be so cute.

elf
03-15-2008, 05:42 PM
I tried them also they were small and expensive and not too good. I would also do a bit of both. Pasta / Pizza / salad

shortbun
03-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Getting ready for a big party would dictate an easy menu to me...translation: let them deliver it. That said, we have some great little pizza/Italian joints around here that make great spaghetti and meat balls with extra sauce and meat balls, garlic bread and salad as options. Of course, you can always rip open several bags and pour some Good Seasonings over it. Have a wonderful party!!! Oh, and from personal experience, blue icing is a nightmare to get out of baby's nice birthday outfit, lol!

dougsmom98
03-15-2008, 09:35 PM
We do pizza for every birthday party. It is so easy! All you need is paper plates and napkins. Even though you can prepare the pasta the night before, if you are anything like me you will probably be busy cleaning the house.

Ctsplaysinrain
03-15-2008, 09:41 PM
The Pizza Hut "MIA"pizzas are the most vile pizzas.. I had a house full of teenagers and no one would eat them.. Not even my son who will eat pizza any time, anywhere...

kimsuenew
03-21-2008, 06:12 AM
The Pizza Hut "MIA"pizzas are the most vile pizzas.. I had a house full of teenagers and no one would eat them.. Not even my son who will eat pizza any time, anywhere...

LOL :rotfl: Everyone's taste is different! We all liked them, including teen son and nephews, hubby, myself, and 4 and 9 year old nieces! We did pay to add an extra topping on each, so they each had two toppings (varied per pizza). We thought the sweet sauce was wonderful! That is the only pizza we buy now, it is delicious and affordable! We (hubby, son, and I) do prefer my homemade pizza (you control everything and the amount of it) but for the price we do buy the MIA's, ecspecially when we are going to have company over... $5.00 each (or a little over $6.00 with an extra topping) is pretty cheap!

Princesa
03-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Just a thought... Pizza Hut is launching a new line of family sized pastas available for delivery as well. The Tuscani Pasta will have a Chicken Alfredo option that is delicious :thumbsup2

I would also look into if they have a special pricing for a larger order...our local Pizza Hut offers a Catering price for orders of 10 or more---cheap pizza for the kids and adults...some nice pasta for the more selective taste, and it's delivered during the party while you're busy taking pictures instead of fussing in the kitchen....that's the way I'd go :cool1:

tig_536
03-21-2008, 02:56 PM
I am a preschool teacher and we have had the pizza mias before. There pretty good. What I like about pizza is you can order it in advance online and they will cut it in squares too.

**So I think I am going to do a little pizza(cut into squares), a litttle pasta, salad & bread.

** Did you know that at Albertsons in their fresh meat counter the drop the price of their ground hamburger to $1.49lb around 7:00pm every night? They told me last night. woo-woo

iwannago!!
03-21-2008, 03:43 PM
I don't do pizza for my kids parties because I don't like any of the 'cheap pizza' places (pizza hut, dominos etc) & I also don't like the space that you need to serve pizza (boxes are big) & having to order a couple different kinds (cheese, pepperoni, veggie).

I recommend the baked pasta, salad & bread. If you need meat, perhaps you could cook italian sausages or meatballs? Sam's or Costco might have that stuff already prepared.

You could also do 2 pastas - maybe a mostaccoli & an alfredo.
Or you could just do the 1 pasta & add grilled chicken to it to make it heartier. You can make pasta go a LONG way for a Little money. You should be able to keep the budget down a lot by skipping the pizza, even if you add meat!!!

good luck!