PDA

View Full Version : Old Navy closing?

MerryPoppins
03-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Sorry if there's already been a thread on this...I've been out with the flu and may have missed it.

My mom heard that Old Navy is closing and the stores will become Gaps. I know they are owned by the same company. Anyone know anything about this? A timeline maybe? And will they be having a big sale?

My kids are going to hate this. They love ON jeans. They say ones from The Gap don't fit the same.

Kies99
03-12-2008, 01:48 PM
I did some googling and don't find anything on that. The Gap website does have a news article from last month saying the person in charge of Old Navy is stepping down though.

MerryPoppins
03-12-2008, 01:56 PM
My mom said she read it. I'm hoping she got it wrong.

MiNNiE2185
03-12-2008, 01:57 PM
I saw something about this on aol the other day. It was talking about all kinds of places most likely to close down and old navy was one of them. Unsure if you would be able to find anything now about this. I will miss Old Navy too! My checkbook may not!:laughing:

Miss Jasmine
03-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Hmm don't think so, especially with Todd Oldham getting a top spot at ON. The article does say the chain is struggling. And I can attest that I used to LOVE Old Navy, but my store has been a disaster area of late and I can't even stand to step in there. :scared1:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/11/magazines/fortune/road_warrior_oldham.fortune/

mari360
03-12-2008, 02:01 PM
oh man that would not be good. I love old navy toddler clothes. I was googling around and only found specific old navy stores closing not the company as a whole. We'll see what happens.

nannerbadnanner
03-12-2008, 02:04 PM
This was a story on AOL Headlines last week. They were speculating on brands that will probably become obsolete and listed companies like Old Navy, Motorola, and Circuit City. I think the article was based on speculation and not on an actual business plan at this point (but I could be wrong!). It said that since Old Navy had the weakest store sales, they may start replacing them with Gap.

MerryPoppins
03-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Okay. Glad to hear it's not anything that's necessarily happening soon.

battricia
03-12-2008, 02:21 PM
There was an article, that I thought was a pretty bad one at that, that discussed businesses 'likely' to close down by the end of 2008. Old navy was one of them, but so were companies like vonage and others and I really didn't buy most of it. Though I do think old navy is doing pretty badly, I only buy from them during major clearance sales and I can't say I really like most of their lines. And i'm kindof mad at them beacause in the past they made nice bathing suits and now all they make is halter bathing suits. GRR :mad:

tricia.

treboats
03-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I have $200 in gift cards to Old Navy I guess I should go buy the kids summer clothes just in case.

wiggles
03-12-2008, 03:37 PM
A friend the other day said had heard that the old navy store in our mall was closing. An it's only been open for a few years:confused3

carrie6466
03-12-2008, 05:34 PM
My SIL is a manager at Old Navy and I've heard nothing about this. She actually works in the store where the corp. offices are. She's getting a promotion and raise starting within the next month, which was a counter offer when she told them she was moving on to greener pastures. I'm sure if they were closing she'd have heard about it.

rflorek
03-12-2008, 06:24 PM
One of the busier ON's in my area - in a strip mall with a Lowe's & a Wal-Mart - just closed out of the blue about 2 weeks ago. At first, I thought they were just renovating, but then the ON logo came off the front of the building and a "For Lease" sign popped up!:eek:

reenie1
03-12-2008, 07:03 PM
They just built a brand new Old Navy in my area - I'm excited for it to open!

eh24fan
03-12-2008, 07:37 PM
I used to LOVE Old Navy for myself and for kids clothes. Lately, I only buy kids clothes, always on clearance of course, but even so, I have only purchased a few shirts here and there. Anymore, the quality has gone down, but the prices have gone up. I used to spend tons of money there for myself. Not anymore. The shirts are sooo thin and they are more $$. The flip flops are totally different than the ones I got 3 years ago and LOVED.

Aimeedyan
03-12-2008, 08:37 PM
I used to LOVE Old Navy for myself and for kids clothes. Lately, I only buy kids clothes, always on clearance of course, but even so, I have only purchased a few shirts here and there. Anymore, the quality has gone down, but the prices have gone up. I used to spend tons of money there for myself. Not anymore. The shirts are sooo thin and they are more $$. The flip flops are totally different than the ones I got 3 years ago and LOVED.

I agree with you! I've been so disappointed in there stuff that I don't shop there anymore. I can pay the same prices at a much higher quality name brand store instead.

TotalSnowWhite
03-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Hmm don't think so, especially with Todd Oldham getting a top spot at ON. The article does say the chain is struggling. And I can attest that I used to LOVE Old Navy, but my store has been a disaster area of late and I can't even stand to step in there. :scared1:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/11/magazines/fortune/road_warrior_oldham.fortune/

Oh, I know! Ours is horrible!! Piles and piles of clothes, most of them ugly!! Not, like, high fashion meant to be ugly, but will be $1.97 next week ugly. If I do go, I only go to the kids' side and just glance at the clearance, which really isn't that great these days.

I hate the new flip-flops. They rub against my instep, and my little toe looks like it's going to jump ship any minute!! I miss the original Old Navy!

**eeyore**
03-12-2008, 09:59 PM
I know that sometime within the last three months, Old Navy closed all of their outlet stores and turned them into regular retail stores. I was pretty disapointed, as I tended to like the outlet styles better than the retail styles. Also, the outlet prices were a little better than the retail.

Mouse House Mama
03-12-2008, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't be shocked. When they first opened the clothes were good quality for reasonable prices. Now they are made of the cheapest stuff and are more expensive. They are like disposable clothing. Wear them once and wash them and they shrink or look like you wore them for 10 years. I also am not a fan of the styles anymore. I can pay less money for designer clothes at TJ Maxx or clearance at Macys then I pay at ON. I think they need to revamp their system. JMHO.

luv2saveabuck
03-12-2008, 10:47 PM
There were 2 ON in our town until last month, they closed the smaller of the 2, and it had been downsized from its original size within the last few years. We were just in the remaining one last week, and were very dissapointed with the quality and selection for summer clothes - especially the kids!

myAAbatteries&aTD
03-12-2008, 11:08 PM
My SIL loves ON and gets lots of good deals there (mostly kids stuff), but I personally hardly ever go in.... I don't really find anything there that appeals to me at the price they want..... I do like their extra % off sales for kids clothes if I can catch those, though.

JackJack08
03-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Our in SE Mich closed in Jan. They are closing alot of stores.

DVC-Don
03-13-2008, 05:29 AM
I was in one near here three days ago and the selection for men is really limited now.

mountdew1
03-13-2008, 07:32 AM
I don't believe the chain is going under, however articles I have read lately do list it at one very likely to close many underperforming stores in the next few years. This is due to a general downturn for most companies. Not a huge shocker esp when other chains mentioned included Starbucks, Circuit City, and even Cheesecake Factory.

Disney Ella
03-13-2008, 07:42 AM
I never went to an Old Navy until about two years ago and that must have been when the quality had already gone down. Everything seemed cheap and thin and not well-made and like other people have said, I could get better made clothes for the same or lower price at other stores.

Pooh_Friend#1
03-13-2008, 08:04 AM
One of the busier ON's in my area - in a strip mall with a Lowe's & a Wal-Mart - just closed out of the blue about 2 weeks ago. At first, I thought they were just renovating, but then the ON logo came off the front of the building and a "For Lease" sign popped up!:eek:
The same thing happend to my Old Navy last week, I was so suprised they packed up and left that quickly.

mom2my3kids
03-13-2008, 08:30 AM
I love Old Navy for my young boys and when my daughter was young I used to get her stuff there. Once she got a bit older she can't find anything she likes there..

my2boyzrock
03-13-2008, 08:58 AM
I totally agree with you. I used to shop there all the time for myself and my boys-my little brother worked there and I would get some good deals w/ his discount!, but the last couple of years not much really appeals to me-quality has gone down hill(for myself) I will find some good buys from time to time for my boys.

Lintasare
03-13-2008, 09:01 AM
I admit I really like some of the stuff at ON. I get my jeans and work pants there. Mostly because I can find stuff that actually fits me. I also like their PJ bottoms and their polo shirts.

I would be really sad if they closed.

DVCJEN
03-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Our in SE Mich closed in Jan. They are closing alot of stores.

Our local one closed a few months ago.

ChristaDeVil
03-13-2008, 09:56 AM
I haven't heard anything about the ON in our area closing, but I will chime in on the quality as of late. About 10 years ago, 90% of my wardrobe came from there. When my son was born, about 90% of his wardrobe came from there. Now, I maybe go in there once a year. I never buy anything for myself in there because the prices are outrageous, and the styles in there aren't the same as they used to be. I have bought my husband a few things in there in the past couple of years, and the quality was HORRIBLE. I washed a polo-type shirt one time, and it started falling apart. Now, as for the boys clothes, my mom bought my son some things there for Christmas, and there has been no problem. The jeans were great, but that's all I've been impressed with from ON in a long time.

nataliela
03-13-2008, 10:09 AM

Yep, I used to buy 5+ pairs of the flip flops per summer.. This year I am not even going to look there for them!

I usually only buy a few items on clearance..That's all I am willing to spend on that quality of clothing.

jessica52877
03-13-2008, 10:18 AM
I never cared for old navy but it had more to do with the service then anything else. I got DS socks there and every once in a while a shirt or jeans. This year he needed some summer shorts so happen to glance when the store was 40% off and I got him a ton of stuff. I am so far happy with it.

Our gap has turned into some upscale place where the prices are outrageous (they remodeled and all)! I used to buy alot from the gap, but no more.

CheshireVal
03-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Our gap has turned into some upscale place where the prices are outrageous (they remodeled and all)! I used to buy alot from the gap, but no more.

Oh, this is so true! The Gap used to be one of my favorites stores, and I could always get great deals on their sale racks. I'd find jeans for $20 or less!

Now their jeans are never on sale, and even on the clearance racks they're still $40-$50. No thanks!

Old Navy used to be okay. but their quality has gone down. The styles and fit are kind of strange. Of course I was thinking maybe it's because it's sort of marketed to teens/young 20s, and I've gotten old!