PDA

View Full Version : a slightly different alcohol question

karentan
03-04-2008, 01:57 PM
our cruise is in the first week of a 3 week holiday.
if i bring a bottle of baileys irish cream onto the boat, can i take whats left back off the boat with me? or do i have to either finish the bottle or not break the seal in the first place?
thanks in advance

FatCat
03-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Technically by Florida state law that is an open container.
So if you drive with it it is illegal.

What will the immigration people do if they see it?
My guess is just confiscate it.

I am not sure about the actual law of if they could fine you.

Baileys as I recall is 750ml.
Drink up. Or share the wealth at the Cove area.

jodifla
03-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Technically by Florida state law that is an open container.
So if you drive with it it is illegal.

What will the immigration people do if they see it?
My guess is just confiscate it.

I am not sure about the actual law of if they could fine you.

Baileys as I recall is 750ml.
Drink up. Or share the wealth at the Cove area.

huh? People who live in Florida don't throw all the alcohol they have out before they get in the car going from one venue to another.

They put it in a locked trunk.

We often fly and drive with a travel bar in checked luggage and then in a car trunk.

karentan
03-04-2008, 02:51 PM
yeah i thought that was the case too, that its ok if its locked in the trunk?
can anyone confirm this?
ps: ive got liter bottles of baileys!!:) so bit much to drink in 3 days!!!
hope someone else can shed some light on whether i can bring the bottle back off the boat....

Miss Poppins
03-04-2008, 02:55 PM
my DH doesn't drink at all. So I will be bringing my favorite - a bottle of Baileys - for my before bed on the verandah nightcap.

Sheriff Woody
03-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Karen, if you're going on August 3 I can help you out. We can make sure there are no leftovers.
:thumbsup2

karentan
03-04-2008, 04:30 PM
thanks but no trouble in finishing it, thats the least of my problems (record is liter in 4 hours... oops!! hic)

Miss Poppins
03-04-2008, 04:46 PM
thanks but no trouble in finishing it, thats the least of my problems (record is liter in 4 hours... oops!! hic)

:scared1:

:drinking1:

ROIE01581
03-04-2008, 05:11 PM
you can put any booze in your trunk, but if you are stopped you are going to jail..if they find it opened.

So just drive carfully and make sure you are drinking coffee if you get pulled over.

ReggieB
03-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Customs will not allow an unsealed/partially consumed alcohol bottle leave the ship. Obviously they don't rigorously check everyone's luggage, but they would expect you to surrender it if found.

disney1990
03-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Do what we did. Go to the liquor store and get the one serving size bottles.

dinghydeb
03-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Customs does not allow open containers of any edible or drinkable product to enter or leave the ship. This counts at all ports including CC.

DAD AT DISNEY
03-04-2008, 09:49 PM
you can put any booze in your trunk, but if you are stopped you are going to jail..if they find it opened.

So just drive carfully and make sure you are drinking coffee if you get pulled over.

So if I have a half of a bottle of rum in my trunk, I will go to jail??

No one is going to JAIL for having a half a bottle of booze in the trunk.

Quit telling lies!!

anewmac
03-04-2008, 10:59 PM

if you have no trouble finishing it then theres your answer... You wont have anything left to bring back :rotfl2:

septbaby
03-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Taken from the University of Florida Police Dept website:

ALCOHOL POSSESSION AND OPEN CONTAINER LAWS
Florida Law prohibits the possession of open containers of alcoholic beverages by the driver and passengers of most motor vehicles.

An open container is defined as "any container that is immediately capable of being consumed from, or the seal of which has been broken". Open containers must be carried in a locked glove compartment, locked trunk, or other locked non-passenger area of the vehicle. The driver of a vehicle with an open container anywhere else in the vehicle, yet not in the physical control of the container, is guilty of a non-criminal moving violation and subject to a fine. A passenger found in possession of an open container of alcohol is guilty of a non-moving violation, punishable by a fine.

Can't we all just get along? :angel:

Keep in mind this does not apply to whatever Customs laws/guidelines exist.

karentan
03-05-2008, 04:16 AM
just to confirm then:
i cant take the partially empty bottle off the ship. thats not a prob.
but i can have a partially empty bottle in the car as long as its locked in the trunk? (thought that was the case)

Miss Jasmine
03-05-2008, 07:28 AM
just to confirm then:
but i can have a partially empty bottle in the car as long as its locked in the trunk? (thought that was the case)

:thumbsup2

Magic Fanatic
03-05-2008, 01:09 PM

Maybe you should allow Florida residents answer the questions on Florida law.:thumbsup2

DAD AT DISNEY
03-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Maybe you should allow Florida residents answer the questions on Florida law.:thumbsup2

I couldn't agree more. I have no idea where they came up with the idea that you will GO TO JAIL if you have a half empty bottle of booze in your trunk.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith
03-05-2008, 02:57 PM
It's so funny that someone actually thought you would go to jail for having an open container in a locked trunk! How in the world does that even make sense in someone's mind?

Anyway...that's all moot because you won't be able to bring it back into the country as has already been stated.

DAD AT DISNEY
03-05-2008, 07:54 PM
It's so funny that someone actually thought you would go to jail for having an open container in a locked trunk! How in the world does that even make sense in someone's mind?

Anyway...that's all moot because you won't be able to bring it back into the country as has already been stated.

It really is amazing on how some people live their lives. Quite scary:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

septbaby
03-05-2008, 08:51 PM

Well it isn't having the container it'll be the conversation you try to have with the officer who "discovers" it that will land you in the slammer. You parents know what I'm talking about:

"See officer, what had had happened was..." :guilty: :sad2: :scared: :lmao:

padalyn
03-06-2008, 02:28 AM
I have seen many a bottle of partially consumed beverages (adult and non-adult variety) sitting on the counter at the customs sections once leaving the ship. That said - if one's bags are not searched then one has what ever one packed. I am NOT advocating trying it. I just noticed that some people don't get searched.

If the tax seal is intact then there is no duty - but if the seal is broken or missing, then the bottle counts toward the 2 liter per person limit of alcohol products brought into the country.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith
03-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Well it isn't having the container it'll be the conversation you try to have with the officer who "discovers" it that will land you in the slammer. You parents know what I'm talking about:

"See officer, what had had happened was..." :guilty: :sad2: :scared: :lmao:

:confused3 "See officer, I didn't finish my bottle of alcohol so I put it lawfully in the trunk to transport it home." They can't arrest you for that. Learn the law.

septbaby
03-06-2008, 07:22 PM
:confused3 "See officer, I didn't finish my bottle of alcohol so I put it lawfully in the trunk to transport it home." They can't arrest you for that. Learn the law.

Ah, I'm the one who posted the LAW. Read the thread.

My comment was HUMOR, chill out this is a VACATION board. :thumbsup2

mommasita
03-06-2008, 07:30 PM
just to confirm then:

No, you can not. You can not take the alcohol off the ship if it is open. It must be sealed or empty to do so.

Also, let us ALL play nice, and avoid sarcasm..Any further sarcasm will be having an infraction added to it. Thanks folks, and have a great evening.:)

septbaby
03-06-2008, 07:36 PM
:guilty:

Didn't mean any harm sorry if I offended ANYONE. Thanks for moderating so quickly. :thumbsup2

Magic Fanatic
03-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Let's just all have a drink and relax. I'm buying!