PDA

View Full Version : Nick Hotel in Orlando

Terk-1
02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
My sister's and I are tossing around the idea of taking my 3 nephews to Florida late June. I'd like to stay onsite at either the All Star Movies or Music Family suite, but my nephews would like to stay at the Nick hotel. My nephews are 13, 10 & 8.

How is the Nick hotel? Is it clean? How is the service? How far is it from WDW parks? Any good or bad experiences? If so, what were they? Should we stay at the Nick Hotel or at Disney?

lilheathen
02-26-2008, 05:00 PM
I personally haven't stayed there, but did a lot of research on it. I first heard about it over a year ago, before it opened, and was psyched just by the pictures (my boys, aged 12, 10 and 6 are all big Nickolodeon fans). The amenities looked great.

However, we chose not to stay there for our upcoming trip to Orlando this June. I read through numerous reviews on TripAdvisor, and there were so many complaints I had to cross it off the list. Hard beds, bug problems, run-down rooms and facilities (it's a refurbed Holiday Inn, but they didn't redo everything and it sounds like they should have), etc. Many of the reviews were really, really negative.

We were very disappointed because we wanted an awesome place to stay, but then I found the Marriott Horizons and booked that instead. It has awesome reviews and a pirate ship in one of the pools, and a big water slide in another. 2-bedroom villas with full kitchens.

Horizons is a timeshare property with only 24 non-timeshare rooms available, but we rented through an owner and got it for less than half the price of Marriott's rates. We're very excited to stay there because everything about it seems so great. Very highly rated on TripAdvisor. We're staying at another hotel for our last two nights (only drawback to the timeshare is that we could only get it for 7 nights), and we chose the Staybridge Hotel in Lake Buena Vista. Not as exciting as Disney or Horizons but it also has 2-br villas.

I looked to Disney's resorts but they were too expensive for the villas that can accommodate 5 people.

Hope this helps...

kty
02-26-2008, 07:54 PM
We stayed at the nick hotel - we enjoyed the hotel and the kids loved the pool complex. only thing my youngest were 4 and 5 and were avid swimmers- on swim team, could touch bottom of 12 foot pool, etc. and they were too small height wise to go down slide without life vests. they were totally bummed by that. But, they really enjoyed the pool activities and got to participate in slime time activities - we went in november and it wasnt that busy. the negatives - the inside nick at night was not that exciting, and the food was lousy at the hotel restaurant. they have two or three pool complexes, so you would probably want to stay near the main pool if possible.

aaronandterri
02-27-2008, 06:24 AM
hi
i stayed there twice now and the kids love it, its not as bad as trip adviser makes out, Everything was clean, we even stayed there b4 it was the nick hotel and it was good, the pools are great and the character breakfast is yummy, they have an omlette staion to die for, now wev stayed all over and definatly have high standards, were staying at poly this time, have stayed at boardwalk and other hotels in the area so feel we have a qood range of experience.

id say have a split stay if your worried, but for a short break its great.

missstcroix
02-27-2008, 06:39 AM
My kids are 10 and 12 and we have stayed at the Nick Hotel 7 or 8 times in the past 3 or 4 years since it converted to Nick and we love it. We have always stayed at the Swan at Disney...and it is still our favorite. We never go ONLY to the Nick tho...we split our stay with the Swan and the days we are at the Nick we just stay at the Nick (No parks) and enjoy the pool, activities and shows. I find the Nick to be super clean and the staff is amazing. It could not be more fun for the kids with all the free activities. We love the shows (day and night), and the arcade, poolside pool tables, basketball, slides, mini golf. Love the "mini suites" and having our own TVs and space. But it is a converted Holiday Inn..and so it is a far cry from "deluxe" and I do love my Swan :-) The only other thing I would point out is when you go will matter...I have been ther both at off times and holiday times and when it is crowded..it is PACKED. Way better on "off" times, and NOT on a fri. or sat. night when its mobbed. We usually stay for 2 nights..and I prefer it to be at the end of our trip. Will be there again in April! Trying to go as much as possible before our kids outgrow it....but we are huge Nick Hotel fans!

NJFLMom
10-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Hello, I'm a mom from NJ and I'm thinking about taking a vacation down to Orlando. My son has a birthday coming up and I was wondering if anyone heard anything about the "Best Birthday Present Ever!" package at the Nick Hotel? Thanks!

4greatboys
10-12-2008, 09:39 PM
We stayed there last Oct and my boys (7 and 5) loved it. The pool area is very nice and the kids loved the slides. We enjoyed the Spongebob character meal.

Our room was very nice. It flat panel tv's and a nice kitchen area. We would definately stay there again.

jmpellet
10-14-2008, 07:26 PM
We've stayed at both the All Stars Music and Nick and I would choose Nick for the kids, although 3 nights is just plenty there! I would say mix it up with somewhere else. I haved also stayed at Marriott Horizons and Vistana Villages this past July and they were very nice. I have stayed at the Staybridge Suites on I-Drive and it was ok too. We are staying at a condo in Vista Cay (across from the convention center) on I-drive in 2 weeks. You can easily get a 2 or 3 bedroom condo for $99/night. Each of the off-site resorts require a rental in my opnion but getting to the parks is pretty easy from any of these locations.

Lsmithster
12-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Has anyone taken advantage of the Florida Resident/Family Vacation Package at the Nick Hotel? I think you get a $50 credit per day for food and beverages with this. This would be great for my family since we are Florida residents and love Orlando.