PDA

View Full Version : Loking for a good Magic Kingdom tour book recommendation....

melbiel
02-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a good book to buy about planning a trip to Disney? There are so many, so I want to be sure to buy a good one that will be helpful. I'd like to try to plan as much as possible with Magic Kingdom before we go. Thanks so much!

Melissa

BKMETV
02-26-2008, 04:29 PM
I have the 2008 Unofficial Guide to Disney and the 2008 Passporter Guide. Both are good but the passporter has room for notes etc. and places to keep track of what you did each day of your trip.

kaleighmariesmom
02-26-2008, 05:25 PM
are you going with kids? because I bought the 2008 Walt Disney world with Kids book and I thought it had some really good things in there...

melbiel
02-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Our kids will be 5, 3, and 7 months when we go. Maybe I do need a kid friendly book!

gibsontrio
02-26-2008, 06:35 PM
definitly the unofficial guide for kids

ZoZo
02-26-2008, 06:36 PM
I love the Unofficial Guide! For me, it has the best, most thorough information.

I looked at the Passporter, but since I wouldn't use it for its organizational capabilities, it wasn't the right book for me. I think it's more for those who want to organize their trip, keep receipts, and carry their book with them in the parks. For me, I use my UG as a research tool to plan my trip in advance, but leave it in the hotel room once I get to WDW.

Minnie M6
02-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Another vote for the Unofficial Guide! Great information that you'll refer back to over and over.

I couldn't decide between UG and Passporter so I got both ;)
Love Passporter too. I LOVE to plan and organize. Already know most of my ADRs for December :rotfl:

My kids really like Birnbaum's Walt Disney World for Kids by Kids. We checked out the 2006 version from the library, and since they have enjoyed it so much I plan to buy at least one copy of the 2008 edition.

Have fun planning! :thumbsup2

falchion3
02-28-2008, 03:26 PM
I usually get both the Birnbaum's guide and the Passporter. The Unofficial Guide for kids or Birnbaum's guide for kids would probably be good for you to get for kid-specific information. The Passporter also has a kid's perspective in its reviews of the attractions, their daughter, which may help you gauge what your kids would think of the different attractions and restaurants.

But, they are all relatively inexpensive, so you might think of picking up several different gudiebooks, at least for different opinions. :thumbsup2

Sonar
02-28-2008, 08:01 PM
In the past, I have used the Unofficial guide, and the information inside provided great results. This time I'm using the unofficial guide, and the unofficial guide with kids. There is some overlap in information, but the kids guide goes into so much more detail for subjects concerning children.

Dawn68PA
02-29-2008, 09:50 AM
One more vote for the UG. Love it! I re-read it several times. I bought the Passporter but it's currently collecting dust on my shelf. Since I'm already organized by nature, it will do me no good. All the info it provides is better covered by the UG. I also recommend TGM :lovestruc

Cdn Gal
02-29-2008, 09:35 PM
I bought 4 books for our up-coming trip. Unofficial Guide was by far the best, but second to that was the Idiots Guide to WDW. It was also good b/c if you are on the DDP it listed which restaurants are on it, and which ones aren't. Plus it had better, more comprehensive maps and touring guides in the back. I wouldn't recommend the PassPorter's Book- it just didn't provide enough info. and neither did Disney World for Adults. Hope this helps!:thumbsup2

burberryplaid
03-01-2008, 11:32 AM
The Unofficial Guide is best for initial planning...but in the park, I carry my Passporter with me at all times! :)

griz4
03-01-2008, 08:14 PM
If you are someone like me that knew nothing about disney, I would recommend Birnbaum Guides first. I have read this book a few times already and with the help of Disboards, have really come to understand planning my first trip to disney. :cool1: I went to Barnes and Noble over the weekend and spent about an hour flipping through all the other ones: UG, Passporter, Idiots guide to WDW. Felt that UG was a good book for sure, but to me too detailed and too big a book. I actually decided to purchase for a 2nd book- Idiots Guide to WDW as i liked the layout and tips it provided.:thumbsup2 I wound up ordering from Amazon.com for a lot less than B&N wanted, so i cant wait to read it in full when it arrives this week. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a book, but would recommended heading to your local book store and page through the different books to see what suits your planning needs the best.

We are heading to WDW in July for our first trip -POFQ- and cant wait.:banana:

HonnyDipp
03-02-2008, 08:38 AM
I LOVE the Passporter guide along with the Unofficial Guide. They work together well as a pair!